Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Compressed Air

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-14-2012 04:38 PM #1
      Was told after my driver's side window 'pinch' regulator was going into 'down mode'
      half-way after being automatically sent upward, that lubricating the regulator would
      fix the problem. Then, after a few weeks. it did it again albeit only once...so far. Was
      told that dirt can be finding itself down into the window if the window is constantly
      in an 'open' state and the pressure of this dirt makes the regulator more sensitive,
      causing it to react erratically. Am now spraying compressed air down into the outer
      and inner window ledges in an attempt to clear any minor debris that builds up down
      there and so far, the window seems to be working properly again. If this 'McGiever' fix
      doesn't do the trick, then I'll have to bring it back in to service again. I was able to
      get the compressed air at Staples since it is commonly used for removing dust and
      debris from computer keyboards.

Vehicles
      '12 Reef Blue Turbo Beetle; '08 Honda Element
      05-14-2012 10:32 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      Was told after my driver's side window 'pinch' regulator was going into 'down mode'
      half-way after being automatically sent upward, that lubricating the regulator would
      fix the problem. Then, after a few weeks. it did it again albeit only once...so far. Was
      told that dirt can be finding itself down into the window if the window is constantly
      in an 'open' state and the pressure of this dirt makes the regulator more sensitive,
      causing it to react erratically. Am now spraying compressed air down into the outer
      and inner window ledges in an attempt to clear any minor debris that builds up down
      there and so far, the window seems to be working properly again. If this 'McGiever' fix
      doesn't do the trick, then I'll have to bring it back in to service again. I was able to
      get the compressed air at Staples since it is commonly used for removing dust and
      debris from computer keyboards.
      Ron,

Take it it. There's a TSB out for the motors. Had mine replaced recently and absolutely ZERO issues. No need for the lubricating or compressed air.

No vehicle should require one to do that.

Go to your dealer.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-14-2012 11:04 PM #3
      Spoke to the service mgr who called me today after hearing from VW HQ. He wants the
      condition to be present when I bring it to them so I guess I'll have to wait for it to begin
      acting up again before taking it in. They're only a few blocks from my home so it isn't
      going to cause me to go out of my way. If it happens while I'm driving in the area, I'll
      scoot over so they can see it happening.

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 05:22 PM #4
      Ron,

You shouldn't have to wait. If they do it enough at the shop eventually they'll get it to happen. There's a TSB for a reason....it's happening to many vehicles.

For your information:

The TSB # is 64-12-01

Replacement Parts numbers are:

5C5-959-801-D-Z01 WINDOW MOTOR
      5C5-959-802-F-Z01 WINDOW MOTOR

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-15-2012 06:15 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by plex03 View Post
      Ron,

You shouldn't have to wait. If they do it enough at the shop eventually they'll get it to happen. There's a TSB for a reason....it's happening to many vehicles.

For your information:

The TSB # is 64-12-01

Replacement Parts numbers are:

5C5-959-801-D-Z01 WINDOW MOTOR
      5C5-959-802-F-Z01 WINDOW MOTOR
      To be honest, I have tried in vain over the last two days to get it to happen. Don't see how
      at this point in time it would be different if I'm at the VW shop? Will keep trying to get it to
      malfunction but I don't feel they are going to replace motors unless the problem surfaces
      again. Like I said, they are only a few blocks away and once I have some amunition, I'll
      be all over them like stink on a monkey !

Vehicles
      05-15-2012 07:51 PM #6
      LOL...probably hasn't happened because your Mc Gyver-like remedies of lubricant and compressed air have temporarily masked the issue.

The original parts were putting too much tension on the glass during travel and would result in a retraction and/or stopping at the two problem areas.

If it's happened at all, they need replaced. They shouldn't need verification. Regardless of whether or not it happened once or 50 times, it shouldn't happen. It doesn't cost the dealer a dime so there should be no fuss.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-15-2012 09:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by plex03 View Post
      LOL...probably hasn't happened because your Mc Gyver-like remedies of lubricant and compressed air have temporarily masked the issue.

The original parts were putting too much tension on the glass during travel and would result in a retraction and/or stopping at the two problem areas.

If it's happened at all, they need replaced. They shouldn't need verification. Regardless of whether or not it happened once or 50 times, it shouldn't happen. It doesn't cost the dealer a dime so there should be no fuss.
      When I originally brought it in for the problem, there had been a return of the 'rubbing' sound as the window reached closure when going upward. After they lubed the inner regulator and returned the car to me, I mentioned that the 'rubbing' was less noisy than before and after the service mgr had me raise and lower it repeatedly, I did notice the 'rubbing' sound would go from much less to no
      rubbing sound at all. He said if the 'rubbing' sound returns then that would be a reason to go
      back inside the door since that could be the occasional extra pressure that sometimes makes the
      window malfunction. I don't hear the rubbing sound any more and will wait for the 'upsy-downzy'
      'two-step' to return before going back to them. P.S. - I also remember hearing someone say that
      you can sometimes get the problem to stop by simply powering the window up manually and
      holding it there for five seconds, repeating the process on the window's downward path as well.
      Could this be a second magical 'McGyver' Fix?

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 10:51 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      P.S. - I also remember hearing someone say that
      you can sometimes get the problem to stop by simply powering the window up manually and
      holding it there for five seconds, repeating the process on the window's downward path as well.
      Could this be a second magical 'McGyver' Fix?
      That can't be considered a Mc Gyver fix because it's actually in the owner's manual.

Also, it's "hold in the up position" for a few seconds and then repeat to reset. You don't have to do a down motion with the switch.

All this does is reset the auto feature. It doesn't fix the problem.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      05-16-2012 12:53 PM #9
      I went to VW Service and asked about the 'whining' TSB. After giving him my vin # he
      said there is no TSB concerning my car. I assume that the 'whining' problem concerns
      the 2.5? P.S. - Ran the window 10 times and it continues to function properly. For the
      time being, my assault on the service dep't is on hold.

Again, repeated attempts to get the window to malfunction have not materialized. Also,
      the 'rubbing' sound that existed as the window reached full elevation is also no longer
      heard. This smoother action hopefully means any previous restricting force is no longer
      an issue......but I will continue to monitor the situation.
      Last edited by ridgemanron; 05-17-2012 at 07:34 AM.