Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definately have an issue with my unitronic tune. chime in unitronic

1. 05-15-2012 06:40 PM #36
      My vvt isnt deleted, so ill be checking the n112 and n80. But what am i looking for? Corrosion or what with the resistors and what not?
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-15-2012 06:45 PM #37
      Ensure the resistors are properly connected. Personally, I used the postreleased resistors that are now available on IE's website.

The bummer about the resistors is you can't ohm them out if you've soldered them in. I don't think it's safe to connect an ohm meter to your ECU generally. Ohm meter's use voltage drop to measure resistance.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

3. 05-15-2012 06:52 PM #38
      Yeah, i have a high impedance dmm, so i think that should be fine with the ecu. Anyway, ill check out the deletes and see if they are good connections. Ahh. Headaches i tell you. But thanks for all the info man. I appreciate it a ton!
      Unitronic830cc/Racetronix 846cc flowmatched injectors/HP6262SP-b/ TurboSmart Race Port/PrecisionPW39/TurboSmart MBC/Snow W/M Injection/IE Rods/AEB pistons/ARP Main cap studs/ARP headstuds/3" turboback/ FMIC/Custom fuel surge tank/ Wally 255/AEB head/supertech single keeper valves/ IECVA1 cams/IE valve springs and retainers/034 motor mounts. SPEC Stg 4 6 puck clutch, Vr6 lightweight flywheel. KRM intake manifold/80mm tb

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-15-2012 07:09 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Mindfault View Post
      Yeah, i have a high impedance dmm, so i think that should be fine with the ecu. Anyway, ill check out the deletes and see if they are good connections. Ahh. Headaches i tell you. But thanks for all the info man. I appreciate it a ton!
      FYI...It's only high impedance when you're reading voltage. When you're reading resistance it definitely loads the circuit.
      My Build

Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never meet, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

5. 05-15-2012 07:46 PM #40
      Well it is, but we discovered here and at nefmoto through people who spent hours watching flow execution that the MAF is the true source of load calculation in a motronic system.

Think of it like having CIS or CIS-E, but no airflow meter. What kind of crap is that? How would it ever work?

I have a UNI 630 tune scaled for a 2.75" ID housing (TT housing or VR6) with an OEM AWP sensor. It works phenomenal, and the car ran 100% garbage with no MAF.

It made power, but it had so much in the way of hesitation and misfires that it took so long for the power to come on it was essentially worhtless.

Now the car is so smooth and it absolutely rips into boost the boost builds faster and harder, it's smoother and no hesitation.

What does a MAF do? Determines the MASS of an AIRFLOW. Without an accurate measurement of the charge, or mass of the flow, you are guessing and adding/subtracting fuel here/there afte the fact, which is AFTER the fact and causes hesitations, light misses, a slow climbing tach, flatspots..... etc. etc.

DougLoBlue gained 50whp plugging in his MAF on maestro.

I can tell you running my lil 3076 @ 18psi now with a MAF, it feels like it gained about something similar powerwise.

Ask UNi if your tune was scaled for a MAF. I think UNI maxes with an S4 MAF or 3" housing anyways, they don't offer a file with scaling for a 4" MAF if I recall.

However, until you overrun the MAF, you need it.

My understanding? Timing is extremely load dependant. My timing values bounced all over at idle, add a MAF? Theyre very very stable now. The misfires associated with that timing bounce? GONE! Same at part throttle.

Mafless rev it in neutral hold at 3k. Don't move foot at all.... notice small oscillations

MAF rev it in neutral hold at 3k dont move foot at all... VERY steady, almost NO oscillations.

Something is happening there, and that is just neutral.

Historically look at bosch. You had L-Jet, and D-jet. Or luft jetronic, and druch jetronic. 1967-1979 or so. My 1975 914 has a Luft-jetronic. Luft, air mass. Druck Jetronic, or pressure jetronic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

Bosch figured out over the years, you truly need BOTH of these to accurately control an engine, have it make big smooth power and run great at part throttle. WIth a turbo car, your asking for a serious amount of resolution to go from -HG to +22psi, and how do you know the actual MASS or lb/m the compressor is pushing in? A maf.
      really makes me think about going back to a maf on my cts 3076-I really haven't had any problems though.

6. 05-15-2012 07:55 PM #41
      ^right me too. if i have to end up sending my ECU back out to unitronic to get the rev limiter tuned right, ill probably be going 3" MAF. is there any other reason why i would be hitting limiter at 7640 RPM rather than 8500 like i specified? oh and thanks grog. i wont be using the DMM on the ecu itself. i will be checking continuity between the Ecu harness connector, and the connector for the o2 sensor. but correct me if im wrong, doesnt the tune delete out the n112 and all of that? so even if it wasnt resistored i feel like it wouldnt affect the fueling because it is deleted and the ecu doesnt rely on the information anymore. i may be wrong about that, anyhow i will still check my resistors.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-15-2012 08:23 PM #42
      For awp

Front o2 sensor

o2 harness plug
      Pin 3 is heater +
      Pin 4 is heater gnd

Heater + is 12v with ignition keyed on

Ecu pin .. Harness Wire color .. o2 connector number ... o2 sensor wire color

52 .. grey/red .. 6 ... Red
      71 .. black .. 2 .. Not connected
      51 .. grey/white .. 5 .. Yellow
      70 .. green .. 1 .. Black
      5 .. white .. 4 .. White

Relay 87A .. blue/red .. 3 .. Grey
      Last edited by groggory; 05-15-2012 at 08:26 PM.
      My Build

8. 05-15-2012 08:29 PM #43
      Photobucket

So i will be checking continuity between T121-52 and T6c/6. T121-71 and T6c/2. T121-51 and T6c/5. T121-70 and T6c/1. T121-5 and T6c/4. Where do i check from T6c/3. To e30? Where tf is that?

9. 05-15-2012 08:45 PM #44
      relay 87a is up under the dash or what?

10. 05-15-2012 08:48 PM #45
      87a is just a connection, do u know exactly where that is? thanks man

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-15-2012 10:08 PM #46
      I don't know where 87a is, sorry
      My Build

05-16-2012 11:40 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      Here's the data... My Analysis of logs
      Can I send you my advanced measuring blocks for analysis?

My vvt isnt deleted, so ill be checking the n112 and n80. But what am i looking for? Corrosion or what with the resistors and what not?
      Just for reference, the N112 is the Diverter valve, and the N80 is the EVAP valve?

I have a Uni2+ tune and my car has been running poorly, a lot of misfires and lack of power, I know my IATs are sky high at the moment due to an inefficient air to air intercooler. But could it be directly related to a bad MAF?
      Not enough time in the day.

13. 05-16-2012 12:51 PM #48
      Yeah, they are valves but i have mine deleted, and resistored.

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-16-2012 12:51 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by 20vturbslo View Post
      Can I send you my advanced measuring blocks for analysis?

Just for reference, the N112 is the Diverter valve, and the N80 is the EVAP valve?

I have a Uni2+ tune and my car has been running poorly, a lot of misfires and lack of power, I know my IATs are sky high at the moment due to an inefficient air to air intercooler. But could it be directly related to a bad MAF?
      Sure, start a thread and pm me a link
      My Build

15. 05-22-2012 12:56 AM #50
      Okay so i did some test today on that circuit. What i found was 52 and 6 had continuity,
      71 and 2 had continuity,
      51 and 5 O.L.,
      70 and 1 O.L.
      5 and 4 have continuity. Wtf is up?

Should i just re wire those 2 wires? Hopefully those 2 pins in the ecu arent shot. Groggory, chime in

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-22-2012 01:01 AM #51
      Re wire those those puppies!

As a double check... Did you verify the wire colors matched that you were testing continuity on?

Don't forget appropriate heat and abrasion sleeving. Solder joints with heat shrink
      Last edited by groggory; 05-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.
      My Build

17. 05-22-2012 04:00 AM #52
      Yes, i tested them multiple times. I will be waking up early to go to the parker store and get a oil restrictor for my buddies 2nd gen eclipse 6267, and then i will be buying heat shrink and some more insulation for the wiring.

Shoul i just cut, and make 2 points, or should i use a tool to pull the pins out and wire the new ones in? It would be a hell of a lot easier to cut and solder. Think thats what ill do then ill checl the resistance. Hopefully this works out :-) thanks man, ill buy u a beer if we ever meet

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-22-2012 04:06 AM #53
      Yes, i tested them multiple times. I will be waking up early to go to the parker store and get a oil restrictor for my buddies 2nd gen eclipse 6267, and then i will be buying heat shrink and some more insulation for the wiring.

Shoul i just cut, and make 2 points, or should i use a tool to pull the pins out and wire the new ones in? It would be a hell of a lot easier to cut and solder. Think thats what ill do then ill checl the resistance. Hopefully this works out :-) thanks man, ill buy u a beer if we ever meet
      Awesome. I'm not one to turn down beer.

I would snip the wires about 10 inches from the ECU and about 5 inches from the o2 sensor plug. That's what I did. I ran them in their own heat sleeving and then wrapped that sleeving in some corrugated tubing. Then ran that in parallel with the OEM o2 sensor loom.

Make sure to zip tie them together plenty. The turbo is near there and it's toasty warm.

I have a feeling this is going to fix your problem.
      My Build

19. 05-22-2012 04:16 AM #54
      I ****ing hope so man, this has been a long time coming, if i wasnt so busy/lazy i would have done this a longggg time ago. We will see though. And if that is the case i have 3 extra good ecu's lol. Thanks a ton man. I will post in the afternoon about it. Its gonna be hot as satans ******* tomorrow too :-/ but all good if she runs right!

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-22-2012 05:01 AM #55
      I ****ing hope so man, this has been a long time coming, if i wasnt so busy/lazy i would have done this a longggg time ago. We will see though. And if that is the case i have 3 extra good ecu's lol. Thanks a ton man. I will post in the afternoon about it. Its gonna be hot as satans ******* tomorrow too :-/ but all good if she runs right!
      That's awesome. I potentially diagnosed your weird ass issue after you went through all those ECU's :-p
      My Build

21. 05-22-2012 05:05 PM #56
      Yeaup. I have continuity to both connectors now, now i will log and see if the o2 sensor is reading

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-22-2012 05:12 PM #57
      Yeaup. I have continuity to both connectors now, now i will log and see if the o2 sensor is reading
      Awesome. Note, if you're been running really rich there is a good chance your o2 sensor is all gunked up. You may need to replace the front o2.

Let's see some logs of

Start the car up and drive the car around til it's up to operating temps while running this log...

block 001/ 031 / 032

Then do two third gear pulls

pull 1,2 : block 001/ 031 / 032

then do two third gear pulls

pull 3,4 : block 002/ 031 / 115

...let's see how things are looking. Post up the complete raw data.
      My Build

23. 05-22-2012 07:01 PM #58
      Alright, will do. Im trying to get ahold of a computer now

24. 05-22-2012 08:13 PM #59
      Well, block 031 is still showing 1.0 on both of the columns:-/

25. 05-22-2012 10:18 PM #60
      meh.. :-(

26. 05-23-2012 12:04 AM #61
      So what do you think groggory?

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 01:03 AM #62
      Key on the car with o2 electrically unplugged.

Check voltage from ground to o2 sensor pin 3

Check voltage from o2 sensor pin 3 to 4

Report back

Also, were you looking at block 031 with the engine running for a couple minutes?
      Last edited by groggory; 05-23-2012 at 01:08 AM.
      My Build

28. 05-23-2012 01:14 AM #63
      Okay. I will check thanks bud

29. 05-23-2012 01:15 AM #64
      Yeah it was running for awhile

30. 05-23-2012 06:11 PM #65
      Okay, here is the outcome. Pin 3 to ground is 3.24 volts, and pin 3 to 4 is .736v

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 06:15 PM #66
      Okay, here is the outcome. Pin 3 to ground is 3.24 volts, and pin 3 to 4 is .736v
      Looks like you need to go find out what junction 87A is. Your o2 header positive wire is not receiving 12V. Without the heater you will continually fry o2 sensors. The heater is required to get the sensing element up to temps quickly. Without the heater exhaust gases will kill the sensor.

Your mission. Trace out the Blue/Red wire and find the elusive junction 87A. Figure out how to get 12V to the blue/red wire at key-on. Being that you are getting 3.24V to the wire it makes me believe that there is a corroded or loose terminal, damaged wire in terminal, bad relay contact, or corroded loose fuse somewhere.
      My Build

32. 05-23-2012 06:39 PM #67
      ahhh. this is craziness. where the hell is 87A? is it infact a relay?

33. 05-23-2012 06:40 PM #68
      without the heating circuit, the o2 sensor should still read a/f ratio though

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 06:53 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by SmallHP View Post
      without the heating circuit, the o2 sensor should still read a/f ratio though
      Theoretically it works. I don't know of anyone who knowingly runs a wideband o2 sensor without a heating circuit. lol.

My vote goes to figuring out where the blue/red wire goes in the loom.

From memory, I think I saw it runs under the window cowling, under the ECU, down the waterfall plenum, and I'm not sure where it goes from there. So go look in your waterfall plenum and see if you see the blue/red wire in there.
      My Build

35. 05-23-2012 07:20 PM #70
      im pretty sure it goes into the box next to the waterfall. the one with i think 2 relays in there. and it seems like the junction is a relay, because it says "87a" which is a leg of a relay. but it's so F'ing hot here. i dont wanna be outside tearing thrtough wiring harnesses. haha. this is just crazy though

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast