ill chime in here, being that i work at a dealer as a tech,
      first of all 79.99 is not just an oil change
      theres a 28point inspectin
      tire pressure settings
      OEM filter and spec oil
      top off of all fluids
      and a car wash
      thats your basic service

car wash alone cost 20+ some places oil changes are ussually 29-39 depending what cheapo non qualified place you go to

so then you get a free vehicle inspection? seems legit..
      I know all of these items on checklist do not get done 100% of the time. It doesn't cost me much to have an extra gallon of washer fluid, coolant, and brake fluid in my garage to check and top off levels myself (those items should be there anyways if you own a car regardless of who services it).

Plus I'd rather not have some flunky scrub down my car with a car wash brush and pressure washer. Many times those free car washes do more harm than good.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-16-2012 08:43 AM #37
      I always ask for no wash
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      05-16-2012 09:40 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by egoods55 View Post
      ill chime in here, being that i work at a dealer as a tech,
      first of all 79.99 is not just an oil change
      theres a 28point inspectin
      tire pressure settings
      OEM filter and spec oil
      top off of all fluids
      and a car wash
      thats your basic service

car wash alone cost 20+ some places oil changes are ussually 29-39 depending what cheapo non qualified place you go to

so then you get a free vehicle inspection? seems legit..

the tech and or the service advisor should of noted if you had a bulb out before during or after your service,
      if you knew about it you should of mentioned it.
      they wount replace it for free everything costs money.

its possible bulb blow out anytime any where that it went out when you left.

as for the dude with the radio code
      thats simple, if you purchased the car from that dealer they should have it on file,
      other wise if you have the radios serial number they can do it on the phone. you can pull your own radio out and give the serial number thats posted on the side of the head unit and they can pull it up

otherwise you need to come in, well scan the car get the serial number and proide you with the code... no biggy probly do it for free. 10 mins.

you need to relax dealerships are expensive but you pay for their services. qualified techs and factory based parts and scanners

all backed by VW id like to see pepboys carry a backing like that..

you are humping a doorknob here

these people think that dealerships are the devil because yeah "I'm chipped have air but they should cover me breaking my oilpan because who makes an oilpan out of aluminum god the stealership sucks" or "yeah my clutch is gone at 20k I've been chipped with stage 2+ since mile 10 why shouldn't they cover it it wore out early my extra 150hp had nothing to do with the clutch wearing out"

Vehicles
      2007 BMP GTI, 2002 S10 Crew cab
      05-16-2012 09:41 AM #39
      My dealer has a touchfree car wash system. It wasnt the best, but in the winters it was better than me NOT washing it.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      StgII+ FSI (Gone), B5 4motion Passat, B6 A4 1.8T
      05-16-2012 10:24 AM #40
      So what you're telling me is that those inspection sheets are done 100% every time a vehicle is in by a flat rate tech that's getting paid .3 to do an oil service? I imagine the fluids are topped off and tire pressures set, but if that's going to validate the labor cost, no thank you.

What about the sheets under warranty? If you mark something off as an issue, isn't that upselling warranty? Isn't that against VW service policy?

I would much rather inspect my VW myself, and have piece of mind that it was done thoroughly and correctly.

DIY or GTFO about service, you're only at the mercy of the people you allow yourself to be.

Luckily we have some good technicians at the local dealership that go to the g2g's, and know alot of us personally. The writer sucs. In the other local dealership, the writers are awesome but the tech's are less than qualified.

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      05-16-2012 10:27 AM #41
      Depends on the dealer. We have all had problems somewhere. Commonwealth VW couldn't fix a clock spring. First two years I drove the car, the airbag may not have ever worked. The light was on when Commonwealth sold me the car. Pasadena, CA fixed my click spring but scratched my Karthoums during an alignment. Downtown LA VW wouldn't do warranty suspension work because Pasadena installed the votex springs and not them. Carolina VW in Charlotte charged me over 100 to adjust my trunk lock when the alarm wasn't working right even though I told them it was the door causing it. Keffer VW fixed it perfect when I told them what part was causing it. Carolina refilled the wifes nitro in the tires and gave it back and never mentioned the 40k service light that had been on. **** happens, bulbs go out. People on VWVortex really shouldn't need a dealer for a bulb change or quite a few other servicings. I use Keffer if I am in Charlotte and Gunther if I am in Georgia.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit (Previous: 1998 GLS, 279,000 miles)
      05-16-2012 02:29 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      With the car off, hold the trip reset button (0.0 button). Turn on the car, don't have to start it, while still holding the button. Release the button and within 20 seconds, press the minute button (m button). This should reset the indicator.

Been wondering this myself. Thanks man!

Vehicles
      08 BT GTI, 04 .:R32
      05-16-2012 03:37 PM #43
      funny story...had my car at my local dealer for oil service right after i got it (3 1/2 years ago). had it back an hour later. a week after that while doing 120+ mph on I-95 i hear this weird slapping sound. 3 seconds later the noise went away and i saw my belly pan doing flips behind my car. the bad part about this scenario was my buddy was chasing me on his bike. it missed him by a couple feet...
      once i got home i jacked the car up to see what had happened and saw that all of the front and 2 on each side mounting points were fine. took it to the dealer and they said i couldn't prove that the belly pan was incorrectly installed. last time my car has seen a dealer
      ZeGERMAN deutschland am start...was geht!
      (Oo)GTI_\X/__(oO)
      (080).:R32=\X/===(080)

Vehicles
      Mk2 GTI VR6... .......................Mk5 Rabbit 2.5
      05-16-2012 04:10 PM #44
      Aside from the fact that the OP is a complete crybaby. I work at a Benz dealer and I can't tell you how many times I've had bulbs burn out literally while the car is being washed and/or parked. I kid you not, it's prolly happened 50+ times in the 8 months I've worked here. Usually parking or plate light bulbs..... retarded yes, but true.

Besides how the f*** do you know when the bulb ACTUALLY burnt out....?

I mean seriously, it's not like you can ignore the message or warning light....
      /// VRSociety Member #298 /// bankrupt ///

10. Member
      Vehicles
      98 wolfsburg jetta+98 zx6r, sold but not forgotten 2001 vr gti, 1992 vr gti 1987 gli
      05-16-2012 11:43 PM #45
      vw vortex is full of a bunch of ignorant people. your on an enthusiast web site. if your not happy paying qualified VW techs to work on something they know better then you. then take it to pep boys or learn to read things and hope other ignorant people dont post wrong things for you to follow and mess your car up.

as for the warranty, any modification can void a warranty, its up to the service managers discretion

Vehicles
      mkv, mk1
      05-17-2012 12:05 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_2.0 View Post
      Aside from the fact that the OP is a complete crybaby. I work at a Benz dealer and I can't tell you how many times I've had bulbs burn out literally while the car is being washed and/or parked. I kid you not, it's prolly happened 50+ times in the 8 months I've worked here. Usually parking or plate light bulbs..... retarded yes, but true.

Besides how the f*** do you know when the bulb ACTUALLY burnt out....?

I mean seriously, it's not like you can ignore the message or warning light....
      infamous 6watt halogen bulbs

I work at a private shop that specializes in mercedes benz repair and restorations
      Air ride installs, coil over installs, general servicing, frame notching, vag com, mk1 restorations and repairs
      Email mreurowerks@gmail.com
      Instagram @rikeymobles
      #dapperfam

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 08:20 AM #47

as for the warranty, any modification can void a warranty, its up to the service managers discretion

This actually isn't true. The modification must be proven to be the cause or related to the cause of the fault.

Talk about ignorance.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit (Previous: 1998 GLS, 279,000 miles)
      05-17-2012 12:55 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I always ask for no wash
      Ditto. Trust no one.

Vehicles
      06 GTI UM Tuned
      05-17-2012 01:04 PM #49

haha so far from the truth the dealership cannot legally void a warranty, and just for that i would never step foot in your dealership

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 salsa red jetta 2.5L
      05-17-2012 07:34 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by CWMotorSportMkV View Post
      Title of thread and OP's post leave me skeptical...what makes more sense, the lamp went out while the dealer performed service or went out while you had lights on driving and noticed it later? Service isnt even open when its dark this time of year. I'm not sayin I'm just sayin...

Kinda funny you'd find an I hate vw dealerships thread on a vw enthusiast site.
      vwvw dealerships
      light came on within 2 mins of me leaving. had to turn right back around. OBVIOUSLY it was something they did. the light that went off, was the light in my dash, saying an external bulb was blown. Was definitely daylight out.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 salsa red jetta 2.5L
      05-17-2012 07:38 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by peskyrabbit View Post
      Pointless thread is pointless. Go cry somewhere else or be a man and go buy oil and a filter and do it yourself. Its not rocket science.
      1. not a man.
      2. figured i would actually treat my car to an oil change from the experts.
      3. didn't feel like doing it myself

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 salsa red jetta 2.5L
      05-17-2012 07:39 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Fix what they should have before they gave you the car? Do you want to be charged to change a light bulb? DIY the bulb change. Dash light goes away once the bulb is changed.
      i see that nobody in this thread understood what i was saying. the light was NOT off before I took my car in for servicing. the warning light on my dash went off, MINUTES, after it was serviced.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 07:44 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by jlevey View Post
      OBVIOUSLY it was something they did.
      This is why you're an idiot.

That's like getting invited to your buddies house, being asked to flip on the lights and getting blamed when the bulb burns out. Because OBVIOSULY it's something you did....

Tell me what someone could possibly do to make a bulb burn out...

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 salsa red jetta 2.5L
      05-17-2012 07:48 PM #54
      This is why you're an idiot.

That's like getting invited to your buddies house, being asked to flip on the lights and getting blamed when the bulb burns out. Because OBVIOSULY it's something you did....

Tell me what someone could possibly do to make a bulb burn out...
      I could be an idiot, or they could've just not attached a side marker back correctly or something like that when they were doing an inspection.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 07:52 PM #55
      Wow, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.... nobody removes bulbs during an inspection.

Turn on lights, walk around car to visually make sure they're working, no message/light on dash = done.

Vehicles
      2008 6spd TR GTI
      05-17-2012 07:54 PM #56
      I don't think they need to do anything with sidemarkers, headlights or anything like that for an oil change. Pretty much just jack the car up, remove the belly pan, drain the oil, etc., etc........ I sorta understand your annoyance to a degree, but sometimes bulbs just go out. Not really something that can be blamed on the dealer. Just feel lucky that you don't have HID headlights which would bring the bulb from $8 to $90.

Vehicles
      MKV
      05-17-2012 07:58 PM #57
      Dealer knows my car is APR Stage 2+ and has never hassled me about warranty issues. Great dealer service.
      Fahrenheit GTI (302) APR Stage II+ <--- pondering selling, 14,000 miles, PM me if interested
      MKV R32 (4510)
      2005 Focus ZXW

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '09 salsa red jetta 2.5L
      05-17-2012 08:01 PM #58
      Wow, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.... nobody removes bulbs during an inspection.

Turn on lights, walk around car to visually make sure they're working, no message/light on dash = done.
      "wow" you're right i don't. Im not an auto tech nor have I ever been. I was just casually letting off steam, as do most ppl, seeing as how I connected the servicing with my light going out, because they happened within minutes of each other. but everybody's been so kind, i won't make that mistake here again.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 08:07 PM #59
      I understand you're frustrated, but think about it: you started a thread called "I hate vw dealerships" and trashed them as if you knew that they had done something wrong.

Bad enough trashing someone online, but trashing someone without even knowing how to far from the truth you could be is idiotic. For someone who not admits he doesn't know (unless that was completely sarcastic) you sure talked like you did.

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      05-17-2012 09:16 PM #60
      vw vortex is full of a bunch of ignorant people. your on an enthusiast web site. if your not happy paying qualified VW techs to work on something they know better then you. then take it to pep boys or learn to read things and hope other ignorant people dont post wrong things for you to follow and mess your car up.

Lol, no.
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0t 6mt
      05-17-2012 10:56 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by 20rabbit08 View Post
      Seriously, why pay $$$ for an oil change? It's something imo everyone should do themselves. It's not hard, you can do it anywhere with very basic tools, shouldn't take over 45 minutes from start to finish and you can take a little pride in the fact that you did it. I work too hard for my money just to had it over to someone else to do something I can do. And again, the light out warning lamp? Isn't that something you can check and replace yourself? Unless you have money to burn, do it yourself and save the $$$ for something else.
      I promise you I'm not trying to bash, it just confuses me when others do this
      2 cents
      You don't save much if you use oil the meets VW specs, with filter, and crush washer. Then you have to dispose of the oil and do the work yourself. This is coming from someone that worked at dealership too. I use to give the lub boy my oil/filter/washer and $10 to do my oil change sometimes. LOL

Vehicles
      MKV
      05-18-2012 12:33 AM #62
      Ehhhh, modifications can void parts of warranties if the warranty company (dealer in our case) can prove that the modification caused a problem...

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

It's a lot of reading, but it's all in there.

And by no means am I trying to call you out. Your message reminded me of this is all.
      Fahrenheit GTI (302) APR Stage II+ <--- pondering selling, 14,000 miles, PM me if interested
      MKV R32 (4510)
      2005 Focus ZXW

Vehicles
      MKV
      05-18-2012 12:36 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003! View Post
      You don't save much if you use oil the meets VW specs, with filter, and crush washer. Then you have to dispose of the oil and do the work yourself. This is coming from someone that worked at dealership too. I use to give the lub boy my oil/filter/washer and $10 to do my oil change sometimes. LOL
      Absolutely. I do all the maintenance on my cars. I think an oil change costs me something like $60 - $70. Plus all the "hassle" with disposal, lifting the car etc...
      MKV R32 (4510)
      2005 Focus ZXW

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      05-18-2012 07:52 AM #64

Google The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

30. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2012 08:14 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by jlevey View Post
      "wow" you're right i don't. Im not an auto tech nor have I ever been. I was just casually letting off steam, as do most ppl, seeing as how I connected the servicing with my light going out, because they happened within minutes of each other. but everybody's been so kind, i won't make that mistake here again.
      What do you think a dealership gains from giving you a car back with an issue?
      Do you think it helps them build trust? Loyalty? Do you think it gives them a happy customer? Do you think they make money off of you for the bulb?

No. They get a pain in the ass. Because now they have a bummed customer that needs their car attended to immediately. That means they need to stop the technician from whatever it is they're doing, push the other customer aside, and help you first. this causes the dealership to lose money, and time, and hurts customer retention.

If a tech notices an issue while your car is in the shop, it does them so much more to attend to the matter then as opposed to after you have your keys and it's out. Saves time, money, and builds better customer retention.

Now I'm not a fan of dealers either, but validate your reasons before ranting about something that is beyond someone's control. It's a f*cking light bulb.

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 08:16 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by DunnyCTMKV View Post
      What do you think a dealership gains from giving you a car back with an issue?
      Do you think it helps them build trust? Loyalty? Do you think it gives them a happy customer? Do you think they make money off of you for the bulb?

No. They get a pain in the ass. Because now they have a bummed customer that needs their car attended to immediately. That means they need to stop the technician from whatever it is they're doing, push the other customer aside, and help you first. this causes the dealership to lose money, and time, and hurts customer retention.

If a tech notices an issue while your car is in the shop, it does them so much more to attend to the matter then as opposed to after you have your keys and it's out. Saves time, money, and builds better customer retention.

Now I'm not a fan of dealers either, but validate your reasons before ranting about something that is beyond someone's control. It's a f*cking light bulb.

Vehicles
      2007 BMP GTI, 2002 S10 Crew cab
      05-18-2012 12:07 PM #67
      Double

33. Member
      Vehicles
      98 wolfsburg jetta+98 zx6r, sold but not forgotten 2001 vr gti, 1992 vr gti 1987 gli
      06-08-2012 11:33 PM #68
      i rest my case. ignorant people.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      06-09-2012 09:02 AM #69
      i rest my case. ignorant people.

Come on. You're bound by warranty policies, flat rate jobs, and less than qualified service writers. Tell me you're turning a decent pay check and treating every VW as you would your own...

Save it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12