Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 80

    Thread: What's the word on the Ecoboost f150's now that they have seen some mileage

    1. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      23,443
      Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-15-2012 10:51 AM #1
      When these were first introduced reliability and longevity were a big talking point. Now that they have been out over a year there have to be some with a decent amount of mileage. Anyone heard any reports of common issues?

      Dave

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2010
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      785
      Vehicles
      13 GTI, 05 R53, 81 W123, 05 Tourneo Connect
      05-15-2012 11:06 AM #2
      I was next to one on a traffic light, and when it took off, it sounded so weird ( for a truck), GTI like

    3. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,506
      05-15-2012 11:13 AM #3
      I've asked my friend at Ford, who's a manager in customer satisfaction, to respond to your question.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    4. 05-15-2012 12:12 PM #4
      According to anecdotal evidence from F-150 forums, it ranges. Although very few seem to get 22+mpg, most are happy with the mileage.

      The EPA range seems to be accurate, with most people getting 19-20 mpg avg.

    5. Member 01tj's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2005
      Location
      WV
      Posts
      4,832
      Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      05-15-2012 12:16 PM #5
      Not sure but I'm itching to trade my wife's Flex on one with the boosted engine

    6. Senior Member bzcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2001
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      20,309
      05-15-2012 01:28 PM #6
      I was in brodozer country a few days ago they are everywhere. And they all want to race me in my S4. I just ignore them because I know I will probably lose

    7. Member al@absolute's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 12th, 2005
      Location
      Scoudouc N.B
      Posts
      5,488
      Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      05-15-2012 01:40 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      According to anecdotal evidence from F-150 forums, it ranges. Although very few seem to get 22+mpg, most are happy with the mileage.

      The EPA range seems to be accurate, with most people getting 19-20 mpg avg.
      that's me, i've been getting around 17mpg average 50/50 in town/highway and around 21mpg on the highway.
      Note i get around 10mpg towing my 7000lb travel trailer. I've got the heaviest combination (crew/6.5ft bed along with 3:73 gears) too.
      I've got a shade over 28k km's on it with 8k km's of towing my 7000lb trailer along with plenty of car float towing time as well.
      I've not had one issue to speak of with it yet, it still feels like new after 1 year, 28k km's and plenty of real world hard use.

      Get's my seal of approval

      Two of my employees at work have bought Ecoboost powered F150's in the last year as well, neither have had any issues and they seem to get similar fuel economy.

      Mine's the white one.

      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

    8. Member Egz's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 30th, 2002
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      16,859
      Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-15-2012 01:43 PM #8
      I'm not a truck guy, so what would a truck with an equivilant V8 get when towing 7,000 pounds? (I have no clue what the norm is)

    9. Member GLI Dan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2006
      Location
      South Florida
      Posts
      3,748
      Vehicles
      e46
      05-15-2012 01:43 PM #9
      All i can add is that I rode in my friends (about 8k miles) from Tallahassee, FL to Boone, NC. It's about a 10-12hr drive and around 500-600 miles. Combination of highway, back roads, mountain roads and what not. I believe we got around 25mpg while on the highway. I'm not certain because I wasn't driving.

      I will say it is a very comfortable long haul vehicle. Even with 5 guys in the truck.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 8th, 2002
      Location
      lower burrell pa
      Posts
      4,766
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R Stage 3, 2010 Golf daily beater
      05-15-2012 02:07 PM #10
      i sell them at a Ford delaership in PA. I have yet to see any come in for service for any issues. I hav had ZERO complaints from customers who own them. we sell the ecoboost F150's 10 to 1 against the 5.0's

    11. Member al@absolute's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 12th, 2005
      Location
      Scoudouc N.B
      Posts
      5,488
      Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      05-15-2012 02:11 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      I'm not a truck guy, so what would a truck with an equivilant V8 get when towing 7,000 pounds? (I have no clue what the norm is)

      8-10mpg, however the Ecoboost has so much low end torque that it eats up the hills and really works well when merging onto the highway with short onramps. No V8 on the market offers as much low end torque at anything close to 2500rpm like the Ecoboost does, this is why its such a great towing motor, otherwise whe not towing its powerfull and makes accelerating pretty much effortless and i love that about it.
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

    12. Member clutchrider's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2010
      Location
      Connecticut
      Posts
      4,899
      Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-15-2012 02:19 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      that's me, i've been getting around 17mpg average 50/50 in town/highway and around 21mpg on the highway.
      Note i get around 10mpg towing my 7000lb travel trailer. I've got the heaviest combination (crew/6.5ft bed along with 3:73 gears) too.
      I've got a shade over 28k km's on it with 8k km's of towing my 7000lb trailer along with plenty of car float towing time as well.
      I've not had one issue to speak of with it yet, it still feels like new after 1 year, 28k km's and plenty of real world hard use.

      Get's my seal of approval

      Two of my employees at work have bought Ecoboost powered F150's in the last year as well, neither have had any issues and they seem to get similar fuel economy.

      Mine's the white one.

      Nice update, oh and BTW on your pickup. It's almost exactly how I would have gotten mine, great setup.

    13. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,817
      05-15-2012 02:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      8-10mpg, however the Ecoboost has so much low end torque that it eats up the hills and really works well when merging onto the highway with short onramps. No V8 on the market offers as much low end torque at anything close to 2500rpm like the Ecoboost does, this is why its such a great towing motor, otherwise whe not towing its powerfull and makes accelerating pretty much effortless and i love that about it.
      This.

      My '08 1500(5.3) gets 10ish with a decent trailer behind it, so did my '07f150(5.4) before it. The main difference seems to be with the lightly loaded running. I'm getting 14 with the 1500 and no load. That is a HUGE percentage increase in FE when most people's running is done with no load or trailer.

    14. Member 200HP4dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      9,131
      05-15-2012 02:31 PM #14
      My 99 Silverado 5.3 did about 9 mpg towing and it really struggled with a huge load on it. That being said, my dad's 06 Hemi ram (quadcab 4x4) got 9 mpg towing the same load, but it seemed effortless. Unloaded, my 99 Silverado got 15, mostly highway. Dad's Ram got 13-14 with the same use.

      It will be interesting to see how manufacturers deal with this. The Eco boost seems to be getting about 1 mpg better all the way around, but offering better low end torque, improving the "feel" of the truck. Will we see increases in mpg in trucks without going to hybrids? I mean, the weight thing is going to be difficult to get over.

      Chris
      | 2015 Chevy Sonic | 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan | 1990 Ford F-150 | 2014 Prius | 1981 Datsun 280zx | 1965 Buick Riviera |

    15. Member Broduski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 18th, 2008
      Location
      Central NC
      Posts
      5,043
      Vehicles
      American, Japanese, and European junk
      05-15-2012 02:37 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      When these were first introduced reliability and longevity were a big talking point. Now that they have been out over a year there have to be some with a decent amount of mileage. Anyone heard any reports of common issues?

      Reading fail on everyone's part. He was asking about mileage on the trucks and reliability. Not MPGs
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      People always like to throw around words like "no" and "title" or "illegal" or "feds", but at the end of the day, they're just words.

    16. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,506
      05-15-2012 02:43 PM #16
      Straight from the horse's mouth.

      Can you comment on the reliability of the Eco-boost in the F-150s. Inquiring minds want to know.

      Barry
      Barry, I have not heard a peep of anything going wrong on the F150's.....Eco-boost. Now.....inquiring minds want to know if you need a X plan PIN?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    17. Member MCTB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2005
      Location
      The Northern of Virginia
      Posts
      10,674
      Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      05-15-2012 03:03 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      Reading fail on everyone's part. He was asking about mileage on the trucks and reliability. Not MPGs
      Fuelly. Thats what its for.
      Looking for a car event on the East Coast? Check here

      I have an idea, we will try it my way first...and then we will finish.

      Instagram of stuff

    18. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      23,443
      Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-15-2012 03:14 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      Reading fail on everyone's part. He was asking about mileage on the trucks and reliability. Not MPGs
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Straight from the horse's mouth.
      Both of these seem to back up what I assumed. And in this case no news = good news.

      At this point the reliability thing seems to be a non-issue so people automatically leap to the mileage benefits. I said it before but it's pretty clear with the real world results you can drive the truck gingerly and get car like mileage or drive it like you stole it and get great performance. You can't get both, but the nice thing about this truck is that it lets you choose how to play, you can't say that about the V8's.
      Dave

    19. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      23,443
      Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-15-2012 03:18 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Barry, I have not heard a peep of anything going wrong on the F150's.....Eco-boost. Now.....inquiring minds want to know if you need a X plan PIN?
      They've got you targeted now!
      Dave

    20. Member Tornado2dr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2001
      Location
      Split Pants, VA
      Posts
      12,817
      05-15-2012 03:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      Both of these seem to back up what I assumed. And in this case no news = good news.

      At this point the reliability thing seems to be a non-issue so people automatically leap to the mileage benefits. I said it before but it's pretty clear with the real world results you can drive the truck gingerly and get car like mileage or drive it like you stole it and get great performance. You can't get both, but the nice thing about this truck is that it lets you choose how to play, you can't say that about the V8's.
      No, you can't. If I beat the hell out of my truck (unloaded), I get 12. If I drive ms. daisy, 14's the topps...and even that's about to go lower since hot and humid summer is on her way.

    21. Member 8V Fury's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 26th, 2003
      Location
      Sacramento, California
      Posts
      5,847
      Vehicles
      1994 vw golf sport, 1990 vw jetta coupe
      05-15-2012 03:24 PM #21
      My friend bought one when it first came out and he has had no problems and he loves it. He uses it as a work truck and it takes what ever is throw at it with no problems. Has anyone see any aftermarket goodies for eco boost?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ron@RMAMotorsport View Post
      real deal<p>After spending two months in the mk3 forum it drove into the woods and set fire to itself.

    22. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      14,506
      05-15-2012 03:33 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by rs4-380 View Post
      They've got you targeted now!
      I owe him. I bought 20,000 shares of Ford because of him.

      My response to him.

      Find me something I fit in and I'll buy it. I want a 2-door SUV. If they built a lower vehicle with pick-up doors I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

      We people over 6'5" are 19 in 10,000 people. That's a nice niche group.

      B
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    23. 05-15-2012 03:46 PM #23
      I think it's way too early to talk about reliability on this powertrain. I'd say to really talk about that we need to wait at least 5 years and see how Ecoboost trucks with 100K+ miles on them are still holding up.

      With that said i've heard nothing but praise for this engine, especially the low end torque which seems to be really good for towing. This leads me to ask, if so many people are looking for this type of power it would seem that a Turbo Diesel 6 cylinder would be even better than an ecoboost. It won't have the hp number of an Ecoboost, but it'll be even better in areas where the Ecoboost is deemed most desirable, low end torque and mpg.

    24. Moderator rs4-380's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 12th, 2000
      Location
      Maine
      Posts
      23,443
      Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      05-15-2012 04:11 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      I think it's way too early to talk about reliability on this powertrain. I'd say to really talk about that we need to wait at least 5 years and see how Ecoboost trucks with 100K+ miles on them are still holding up.
      Will anyone really care in 5 years? (at least in terms of new car sales). I think a better example is high mileage vehicles that are 2-3 years old. With the market these are targeting I guarantee there are penny of examples of 50k miles.

      Even the "bullet proof" engines have common problems that far down the road.
      Dave

    25. Member Shomegrown's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 26th, 2002
      Location
      Detroit
      Posts
      18,890
      Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Ford F-150 FX4 4x4
      05-15-2012 04:25 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      I'm not a truck guy, so what would a truck with an equivilant V8 get when towing 7,000 pounds? (I have no clue what the norm is)
      A diesel would get 15+.

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •