VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What's the word on the Ecoboost f150's now that they have seen some mileage

11K views 79 replies 42 participants last post by  Shomegrown 
#1 ·
When these were first introduced reliability and longevity were a big talking point. Now that they have been out over a year there have to be some with a decent amount of mileage. Anyone heard any reports of common issues?

See less See more
#7 ·
According to anecdotal evidence from F-150 forums, it ranges. Although very few seem to get 22+mpg, most are happy with the mileage.

The EPA range seems to be accurate, with most people getting 19-20 mpg avg.
that's me, i've been getting around 17mpg average 50/50 in town/highway and around 21mpg on the highway.
Note i get around 10mpg towing my 7000lb travel trailer. I've got the heaviest combination (crew/6.5ft bed along with 3:73 gears) too.
I've got a shade over 28k km's on it with 8k km's of towing my 7000lb trailer along with plenty of car float towing time as well.
I've not had one issue to speak of with it yet, it still feels like new after 1 year, 28k km's and plenty of real world hard use.

Get's my seal of approval :thumbup:

Two of my employees at work have bought Ecoboost powered F150's in the last year as well, neither have had any issues and they seem to get similar fuel economy.

Mine's the white one.

#11 ·
8-10mpg, however the Ecoboost has so much low end torque that it eats up the hills and really works well when merging onto the highway with short onramps. No V8 on the market offers as much low end torque at anything close to 2500rpm like the Ecoboost does, this is why its such a great towing motor, otherwise whe not towing its powerfull and makes accelerating pretty much effortless and i love that about it. :thumbup:

#9 ·
All i can add is that I rode in my friends (about 8k miles) from Tallahassee, FL to Boone, NC. It's about a 10-12hr drive and around 500-600 miles. Combination of highway, back roads, mountain roads and what not. I believe we got around 25mpg while on the highway. I'm not certain because I wasn't driving.

I will say it is a very comfortable long haul vehicle. Even with 5 guys in the truck.

#14 ·
My 99 Silverado 5.3 did about 9 mpg towing and it really struggled with a huge load on it. That being said, my dad's 06 Hemi ram (quadcab 4x4) got 9 mpg towing the same load, but it seemed effortless. Unloaded, my 99 Silverado got 15, mostly highway. Dad's Ram got 13-14 with the same use.

It will be interesting to see how manufacturers deal with this. The Eco boost seems to be getting about 1 mpg better all the way around, but offering better low end torque, improving the "feel" of the truck. Will we see increases in mpg in trucks without going to hybrids? I mean, the weight thing is going to be difficult to get over.

Chris

#52 ·
Ecoboost is awesome but I am very disappointed the half ton diesels never made it to market.

I think where the hybrid could help would be assisting to boost engine torque at lower rpm, right where the electric motor is cranking it out and a smaller gas motor is struggling. So a light hybrid type of deal.

#21 ·
My friend bought one when it first came out and he has had no problems and he loves it. He uses it as a work truck and it takes what ever is throw at it with no problems. Has anyone see any aftermarket goodies for eco boost?

#23 ·
I think it's way too early to talk about reliability on this powertrain. I'd say to really talk about that we need to wait at least 5 years and see how Ecoboost trucks with 100K+ miles on them are still holding up.

With that said i've heard nothing but praise for this engine, especially the low end torque which seems to be really good for towing. This leads me to ask, if so many people are looking for this type of power it would seem that a Turbo Diesel 6 cylinder would be even better than an ecoboost. It won't have the hp number of an Ecoboost, but it'll be even better in areas where the Ecoboost is deemed most desirable, low end torque and mpg.

#24 ·
I think it's way too early to talk about reliability on this powertrain. I'd say to really talk about that we need to wait at least 5 years and see how Ecoboost trucks with 100K+ miles on them are still holding up.
Will anyone really care in 5 years? (at least in terms of new car sales). I think a better example is high mileage vehicles that are 2-3 years old. With the market these are targeting I guarantee there are penny of examples of 50k miles.

Even the "bullet proof" engines have common problems that far down the road.

#29 ·
I still can't believe ignorant buyers have swallowed the marketing hype of 'Ecoboost'.

It's just a new name for an old technology: a turbocharger

From a performance standpoint, the Dodge turbocharged 6 cylinder basically sodomizes the Ford's turbocharged 6 cylinder. Without using any lube.

Heck.

At 800ftlbs of torque versus 302, it's more like being sodomized by an inverted iron maiden. :facepalm:

#30 · (Edited)
I still can't believe ignorant buyers have swallowed the marketing hype of 'Ecoboost'.

It's just a new name for an old technology: a turbocharger
:
So car companies aren't allowed to brand their technologies anymore? No FSI, no Hybrid Synergy Drive, no Bluemotion, no VTEC, no Duramax....?

C'mon. Get real. It's just a friggin' trademark. Ford advertises Ecoboost as a way to boost power without sacrificing fuel economy. VW uses FSI the same way, and they didn't invent the turbo/direct injection combo either. Move on.

From a performance standpoint, the Dodge turbocharged 6 cylinder basically sodomizes the Ford's turbocharged 6 cylinder. Without using any lube.

Heck.

At 800ftlbs of torque versus 302, it's more like being sodomized by an inverted iron maiden
Gratuitously graphic imagery notwithstanding, the Dodge turbodiesel is only available in HD configuration and is quite expensive - so it represents a substantial upcharge compared to a gasser, 1500-class Ram. I don't really see how the comparison makes much sense; I mean, yeah, the Cummins is wicked powerful, but it's also not available in a 3/4 ton pickup.

Also, 302 isn't the correct torque figure. It's 350 (fix0rd - 420), and more importantly the torque curve is shaped like a dinner table. There's nothing else in a 3/4 ton pickup that comes close to its low-end torque until you start talking about 6+ liter V8s...which are vastly thirstier.

#32 ·
My parent's best friends bought one 5 months ago or so and they rave about it. They aren't car folks, and I've never seen them rave about anything before. It is weird hearing them drive by as they accelerate. The turbo whine is quite obvious :laugh:

And Turbio, it's 420 ft/lbs, not 350.

#33 ·
My parent's best friends bought one 5 months ago or so and they rave about it. They aren't car folks, and I've never seen them rave about anything before. It is weird hearing them drive by as they accelerate. The turbo whine is quite obvious :laugh:

And Turbio, it's 420 ft/lbs, not 350.
I stand corrected. :thumbup:

#38 ·
I have over 30k on mine and it has not seen the inside of a service bay since the PDI. I average 17-18MPG on it which is 3-4MPG better than any of the 3 5.4L Fords I have owned. If my foot was made from flesh and bone not led the mileage numbers would be even higher. I have babied it a few times and knocked off low 20s.

I'm much more active on the F-150 boards and so far there has been nothing failing on these trucks. I stopped by the dealership to check on mods and how it would affect my warranty and the only problem they have had on any of the trucks was one had a leaky oil seal (rear main?? I forget the exact one). If my truck was totaled today, I'd buy another one just like it tomorrow.

#39 ·
My mother drives an Titan with about an 8000 lb. travel trailer. She has about 150k miles on hers and about 70% of the miles with the trailer. She asked me what my opinion was on the Ecoboost and if it would go as long as her Titan with relatively few problems and I still think it is too early to tell.

It all sounds good but how many of them have pulled heavy trailers for 120k miles? My opinion to her is wait and see and if she wants to buy a truck now get a V-8 because she may pay more in gas but the downsides are obvious. In a year or two my opinion may change.

#41 ·
My Dad bought a Titan to pull our 28 ft boat, and at 90k (maybe 5-6k of towing) the rear end and headers/cats had to be replaced to the tune of nearly $4k...extremely common problems not covered by Nissan.

#43 ·
I have one. The coolest thing about them is that they are nearly indistinguishable from the other V8s from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge when towing medium loads. The max load is lower than that of the Dodge Hemi, so this isn't a motor to haul your boat, but for medium loads, the combination of fuel economy + power makes this a pretty nice setup.

A bit expensive considering you're getting a six cylinder for the price of an eight, but the extra 5 miles a gallon with negligible effects on power makes it worth it for me.

Great piece of engineering by Ford.

#46 ·
I have one. The coolest thing about them is that they are nearly indistinguishable from the other V8s from Ford, Chevy, or Dodge when towing medium loads. The max load is lower than that of the Dodge Hemi, so this isn't a motor to haul your boat, but for medium loads, the combination of fuel economy + power makes this a pretty nice setup.

A bit expensive considering you're getting a six cylinder for the price of an eight, but the extra 5 miles a gallon with negligible effects on power makes it worth it for me.

Great piece of engineering by Ford.

what max load are you talking about?
Towing, Payload or GAWR?
are you comparing a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton?

The F150 with the max tow or 8200lb payload package has far more payload and towing capacity than any of the other 1/2 ton's on the market and in some configurations actually has a higher payload than some 3/4 ton's out there (the dodge 3/4 ton with both Cummins in particular) :eek:.

The Hemi, while powerful can't hold a candle to the Ecoboost's low end torque whil pulling anything, it simply makes it peak torque at a much higher rpm, you as an ecoboost owner should know that.

#53 · (Edited)
I bought a 2012 FX4 EcoBoost in Jan.
Most issues I read on the Ecoboost forums are studder issue and gas mileage complaints.
My truck has done studder thing a couple times with me not sure what that is but with 2 turbos and all those electronics I am not surprised.
My gas mileage is not as good as advertised but overall the truck is growing on me.
Tons of room, good power very quiet interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.