Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 01M transmission slipping in 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd and 4th are fine.

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta Diesel TD, 2001 Beetle GLS, 81 Rabbit Diesel
      05-15-2012 09:44 PM #1
      My wife's 2001 beetle at 200thousand km's with a 01M tranny is slipping in 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd and 4th are fine. Reverse is fine too. I changed the oil and filter and no change. Vag com only showed rear abs problem. When I drive the car it will rev up, as if I was ridding a standard clutch, in both 1st and 2nd gears and when it finally after a minute or so it goes into 3rd then it runs along perfectly and up into 4th which is fine too. When I try to kick it down into 3rd it revs up and slips. Let off on the gas and runs into fourth and all is fine again. Hit a stop sign and the process starts all over again.

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      05-17-2012 02:15 PM #2
      Check the fluid. If its full your probably gonna need trans rebuilt.

tHis is of course assuming that what I'm interpreting as your meaning is actually your meaning.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 04:56 PM #3
      Thanks CoolAirVW. Your indepth knowledge is very appriciated in the previous reads. Very helpful. Is it possible for the valve body to cause this? Also I didn't mention that as the transmission oil heats up the 1st and 2nd gear will slip more. Thanks again

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Tdi, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 1985 gti 20v swap
      05-20-2012 03:36 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jpnichols View Post
      Thanks CoolAirVW. Your indepth knowledge is very appriciated in the previous reads. Very helpful. Is it possible for the valve body to cause this? Also I didn't mention that as the transmission oil heats up the 1st and 2nd gear will slip more. Thanks again
      It could be your valve body. I have seen several valve bodies fix that sort of concern. But if you replaced a valve body which is usually around $1500 repair and it doesnt fix it then you have to spend more money to fix it. So keep that in mind. valve body replace vs trans replace price wise.
      2012 Jetta Tdi
      H&R sport springs
      15% tint
      VW Technician
      VAGCOM equipped, willing to help with it if in pacific NW area. Hit me up.

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-20-2012 08:22 AM #5
      Thanks a bunch vdubtech398.
      I'm taking out the valve body today. I'll post my findings.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Tdi, 2007 Jetta 2.5, 1985 gti 20v swap
      05-20-2012 01:35 PM #6
      Thanks a bunch vdubtech398.
      I'm taking out the valve body today. I'll post my findings.
      No prob. remember to plug all the solenoids back in, it is easy to forgot one. Also make sure you dont pinch any of the harnesses with putting the valve body back up. They should all have some slack to them. Take a picture of the wiring before you take it apart sometimes that helps. There are also two different size bolts as well. Good luck
      2012 Jetta Tdi
      H&R sport springs
      15% tint
      VW Technician
      VAGCOM equipped, willing to help with it if in pacific NW area. Hit me up.

Vehicles
      05-21-2012 04:28 PM #7
      Probably not. There is a different "driving clutch" in 3rd and 4th than in 1st and 2nd. Probably this means the driving clutch in 1st and 2nd is damaged or the pressure that applies it is leaking.

did you check the fluid?
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 06-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-21-2012 10:00 PM #8
      Thanks for your input. The oil was changed (after the problem started) with vw synthetic with a new filter. I made sure it was on the high side for the fluid level. Today I took out the valve body and everything was perfect. Took out all the valves and cleaned up everything. The solenoids all read a proper ohm reading. Now it's time to pull the transmission and check that out. Going to try to get it out in the next few evenings.Dear CoolAirVW I did the B1 brake test but how do I do the K2 clutch test. I'm not sure which orifice to test. Thanks for your info in your web site too. Will be reading it to pull the transmission.
      Thanks

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 05:31 PM #9
      Are you asking how to air check the clutchs?

FYI solenoid ohm tests are a waste of time unless you have a solenoid code.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-23-2012 04:51 PM #10
      Yes, in your procedure in your web sight, you blew compressed air into a hole to hear the clutch engage and when released the air blew out. I just didn't know what other hole to do this test in. It was with the valve body off. Thanks

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 06:57 PM #11
      Yes, in your procedure in your web sight, you blew compressed air into a hole to hear the clutch engage and when released the air blew out. I just didn't know what other hole to do this test in. It was with the valve body off. Thanks
      Hm... maybe I can take a pic and show you where to air check.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 07:29 PM #12
      here it is...

I should have included the B1 air check section as well but its too late now. For anyone who needs this info in the future just go to my website listed in my signiture, find the 01m FAQ and go to 01m failure analysis, and you can find it.

Take into account that the shape isn't round so you cant just shove your tool in there like you can with the B1. You'll have to get some type of plate with a hole in it to air check. Small peice of thick plexiglas works or even a thick peice of aluminum.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 05-25-2012 at 07:37 PM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      06-06-2012 09:06 PM #13
      Sorry I took so long to respond. Thanks CoolAir on the picture. I did the test and when I shot air in the K1 port, air came out the K3 port so I eventually disassembled the transmission and found a big crack in one of the pistons in the 1st - 3rd assembly (the one with a little brass port). I'll try to attach some pictures when I figure out how. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted

Vehicles
      06-08-2012 05:59 PM #14
      Sorry I took so long to respond. Thanks CoolAir on the picture. I did the test and when I shot air in the K1 port, air came out the K3 port so I eventually disassembled the transmission and found a big crack in one of the pistons in the 1st - 3rd assembly (the one with a little brass port). I'll try to attach some pictures when I figure out how. Thanks again and I'll keep you posted
      some guy in post #7 above said it might be a pressure leak to the "driving clutch for 1 and 2" (k1) that guy nailed it.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

15. 07-06-2012 11:46 AM #15
      Can similar transmission problem occur in the following case? My 2002 1.8T Tiptronic Jetta seems to have problems shifting into the first gear from the STOP. When I come to a full STOP and hit gas pedal to GO, my car is not moving for few seconds with gas pedal being pressed. Then all of sudden, after 5 to 10 seconds with gas padel pressed, car starts moving and has no issues shifting from that point on until I make another full STOP. It seems that transmission has delay of getting into the first gear, but I'm not sure. Any ideas though? Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by alihodzic; 07-06-2012 at 11:49 AM.

16. 10-04-2012 09:36 PM #16
      I have problems with my tranny.last year i rebuild the tranny but mechanic broke thread bolt soport

he change the housing with differential code ecv .this tranny run good but in highway i drive 60 mph at

4000 rpm , is too many rpm for mph , i don't use this car the last year because the ratio final drive is

different and don't save gas .i decided to change for correct code clk from junk yard.i did pulled

from car and install clk with new vw fluid and filter from the other transmission.i take my time to

install correctly and drive fine first day and check fluid level is ok.i drive a few days more at 60mph to

2500 rpm .it start to

slipping 4th gear rarely.2 days later appeared code 00652 and p0730.i change multi-tsm f-125 12g33,g38 and

g22 with harness,i clear code but appeared again.....today i reset tcm ,i drive fine like 2 miles then

slipping again bot now in all gear and lost potency to enter my garage.reverse is ok i test .do you

recommend, put the valve body and torque converter or i exchange all internal parts from one to

another!!!!! I won't to expend money bucause i unemployment

Vehicles
      10-05-2012 02:19 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by alihodzic View Post
      Can similar transmission problem occur in the following case? My 2002 1.8T Tiptronic Jetta seems to have problems shifting into the first gear from the STOP. When I come to a full STOP and hit gas pedal to GO, my car is not moving for few seconds with gas pedal being pressed. Then all of sudden, after 5 to 10 seconds with gas padel pressed, car starts moving and has no issues shifting from that point on until I make another full STOP. It seems that transmission has delay of getting into the first gear, but I'm not sure. Any ideas though? Thanks in advance.
      Have you checked the fluid?
      www.KansasCityTdi.com