Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet SS

05-16-2012 02:53 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      This thing is nothing like a Hummer. I don't get your argument at all. Just because it's a V8 and RWD doesn't mean it can't knock down good fuel economy numbers.
      Ya, and just because a pig is a pig doesn't mean it can't fly off a bridge. How often do you see that?

I guess I was the only one that noticed Pontiac G8s, and GTOs before them sitting on dealer lots for 365 days with roots growing out of the wheels, or selling at bargain basement money losing prices, or filling up local Hertz and Avis lots.

I'm sure slapping a bowtie on essentially the same car will fix all that though . A big V8 rwd sedan is exactly what consumers are desperate for right now. This will definitely be another home run in the long list of resounding successes of Australian sourced GMs in North America.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      05-16-2012 02:57 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Ya, and just because a pig is a pig doesn't mean it can't fly off a bridge. How often do you see that?

I guess I was the only one that noticed Pontiac G8 and GTOs before them sitting on dealer lots for 365 days with roots growing out of the wheels, or selling at bargain basement money losing prices, or filling up local Hertz and Avis lots.

I'm sure slapping a bowtie on essentially the same car will fix all that though . A big V8 rwd sedan is exactly what consumers are desperate for right now. This will definitely be another home run in the long list of resounding successes of Australian sourced GMs in North America.
      Sarcasmgasm

But yeah, it won't sell. But it may make lots of headlines and maybe end up on some kids' walls, which is valuable too.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Caliber SRT4, 1989 Mazda B2200, 2010 RAV4
      05-16-2012 02:58 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post

I guess I was the only one that noticed Pontiac G8s, and GTOs before them sitting on dealer lots for 365 days with roots growing out of the wheels
      That all depends where you are. Where I live, you couldn't find one on a lot anywhere because people were buying them right off the transport.

There is definitely a certain audience for a RWD V8 sedan, no reason GM can't offer them in relatively limited quantities.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-16-2012 03:01 PM #29
      I hope that by using the SS name to distance it from the Caprice PPV that this will be the SWB version like the G8 and not the LWB model like the Caprice. I don't like the proportions of the LWB, and really the added room only makes sense if there's a police car cage in there.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

5. 05-16-2012 03:05 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by cryption View Post
      I really dig it. I always loved the G8 and was sad to see it fall.

Now there will be a Chevy version, maybe the crazy G8 prices will start to fall.
      As the owner of one of the 800 manual G8 GXP's... I do not know how I feel about this news.

I suppose it will depend on what exactly the details of the newly unleashed beasts will be. I heard rustling about an SS for a long time and figured that Chevy's current line up of camaro and corvette meant that whatever was released would be a sporty sedan and not another coupe...

I figured this meant a possible revival of the g8/commodore... interesting to see this take shape.

SS though... really?

really chevy? My grandpa fought the SS back in the day... I don't know how I feel about driving something with that namesake.

You'd think they'd have thought this through a little more. call it anything else. I suppose Jewish people don't make up most of the nascar/bonneville demographic they are going for.

As someone who already has a manual.. I both want to see them make more.. and also for selfish exclusivity reasons.. do not want to see them make more. Overall, the good person in me says "Get it right Chevy - make more manuals."

My best guess is that this new car will slot in somewhere performance wise above the g8 gxp but below the cts-v. My main concern for watching my g8 lose value on the introduction of this news is that the new car will probably clobber my gxp's 15 mpg average.
      Last edited by x1000rpms; 05-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.

6. Swallow Doretti
      05-16-2012 03:10 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      How much does that thing weigh?

Supposedly, about 100 lbs lighter than our Pontiac G8, mainly thanks to the use of more aluminum front and rear, such as in the hood and fenders. It's mostly a carry-over of the current car, though, other than the redesigned front and rear treatments and updated dash.

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat
      Just SS? No Chevelle?

SS is a stupid name. Like Ford GT or VW CC.
      I'd argue it's significantly more stupid than the GT or CC names, because SS has a long history as a trim level for specific Chevrolet vehicles (including, at the moment, the Camaro).

Vehicles
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT
      05-16-2012 03:10 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Geechie_Suede View Post
      Do you have something against the car-like pickup?
      I hate them with a passion.

My neighbor had an El Camino next door when I was growing up, and I would just look at it, confused and sad, because it didn't make any sense. Is it a car? A truck? If it is a car, why is there a truck back on it? If it is a truck, why is there a car front on it? If it is a truck, why is there never anything in the back of it and why is it so low to the ground? Why does the owner wear nothing but jean shorts and short sleeve flannel shirts, unbuttoned with his huge cheeseburger locker hanging out all the time? Why was there NEVER a woman ever seen in the El Camino?
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

8. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-16-2012 03:12 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by thenick View Post
      I think I love you.

It actually sticks with me not because of the movie, but because I love "The Munsters".

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

9. 05-16-2012 03:13 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      I'd argue it's significantly more stupid than the GT or CC names, because SS has a long history as a trim level for specific Chevrolet vehicles (including, at the moment, the Camaro).
      Not to mention the Nazi's used it. I guess if you are trying to make your car more European this is one route.

Vehicles
      08 VW GTI
      05-16-2012 03:14 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post

SS though... really?

really chevy? My grandpa fought the SS back in the day... I don't know how I feel about driving something with that namesake.
      Different kind of SS
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back to yours, now back to mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped using your old signature and changed it to this one, it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a car forum, reading this signature.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-16-2012 03:21 PM #36
      Chevrolet's SS stands for Super Sport. Somehow all the WW2 vets who were of prime car-buying age were able to understand this back in 1961 when they started using the nameplate..

Vehicles
      '03 S2K '12 Focus
      05-16-2012 03:24 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Jesus Christ, if it looks like that then it'll flop like a fish out of water.

Give it some style, for ****'s sake. It used to be the #1 selling car in Australia and has since taken a huge sales dive. It needs a shot in the arm, bad.
      ├┼┤2003 S2000 | 2012 Focus SE Sport (2011-2014) | 2009 G8 GT (2011-2011) | 2008 R32 (2007-2011) | 2006 GTI (2006-2007) | 2001 A4 (2002-2006)
      SAVETHERING

13. 05-16-2012 03:44 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      Chevrolet's SS stands for Super Sport. Somehow all the WW2 vets who were of prime car-buying age were able to understand this back in 1961 when they started using the nameplate..
      When they started using the nameplate they didn't slap SS on a whole product and name the entire car that.

In my opinion there is a difference between calling a car a Camaro and having a trim level called Super Sport and having a car called SS with nothing but SS badges.

Europe won't see any of these because they will be sold under the vauxhall name if at all.. but this naming scheme wouldn't fly over there and it shouldn't really fly here either.

Vehicles
      the big three and a deere
      05-16-2012 03:44 PM #39
      well, the lawn enforcement agencies will have a new choice for their cruisers, about time for GM to offer something appropriate.
      14 Mustang GT | 87 Buick Grand National | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 13 Focus 5door | 13 F250 XLT 6.7

15. 05-16-2012 03:45 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yep. It sure is.

You've never seen "My Cousin Vinnie", correct?

(Actually I haven't either, but that line is quite famous.)
      actually one of the few i have not
      went right over my head
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-16-2012 03:54 PM #41
      When they started using the nameplate they didn't slap SS on a whole product and name the entire car that.

In my opinion there is a difference between calling a car a Camaro and having a trim level called Super Sport and having a car called SS with nothing but SS badges.
      Look, the name is either offensive or it's not. And... it's not.

If you ordered a Chevelle SS or Camaro SS back then, all the exterior bowtie emblems on the car were replaced by big white "SS"es. It's not like the SS badge was hidden out of shame.

Hey, if you ask me they should just call it a Commodore. It sounds like a proper Chevy name without being one of the '60s names that they've already brought back on other models. SS should be a trim level, sure.

But saying it's offensive is ridiculous.

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-16-2012 03:54 PM #42

No, they just stuck in in the center of the grille with great big letters in chrome.

And on the side

And on the back

Last edited by Air and water do mix; 05-16-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Vehicles
      2002 Mazda Protege5
      05-16-2012 03:55 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by al@absolute View Post
      well, the lawn enforcement agencies will have a new choice for their cruisers, about time for GM to offer something appropriate.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      CTS-V
      05-16-2012 04:53 PM #44
      This is great news. I am testing a Caprice PPV right now for our department. If the civillian version has the same kind of driving dynamics, there are a lot of people that are going to go for this thing. Very well made car.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-16-2012 05:22 PM #45
      I hope that by using the SS name to distance it from the Caprice PPV that this will be the SWB version like the G8 and not the LWB model like the Caprice. I don't like the proportions of the LWB, and really the added room only makes sense if there's a police car cage in there.
      I like to cross my legs

SS though... really?

Not sure if serious? You do know that US Marine Scout Snipers also use the double thunderbolts
      No one EVER had any problem with SS badges. I've NEVER heard ANYONE complain about this. I've known plenty of old World War II guys that DROVE Super Sports!

Europe won't see any of these because they will be sold under the vauxhall name if at all.. but this naming scheme wouldn't fly over there and it shouldn't really fly here either.
      1961 Impala SS badge:

Vauxhall wouldn't release it with that name because it serves no purpose in their naming scheme. Expect another VXR variant.

Though, I doubt the car will be called the SS... I think they're holding off on revealing the true name. Didn't someone say Chevrolet recently re-upped it's license on Chevelle?

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      05-16-2012 05:25 PM #46
      Hope they give it some good styling cues.

22. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-16-2012 05:26 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      Though, I doubt the car will be called the SS... I think they're holding off on revealing the true name. Didn't someone say Chevrolet recently re-upped it's license on Chevelle?
      That's what I was wondering. Chevelle would be great!

You could go into a dealer and peruse the Chevelle, Corvette, Malbu, Impala and Camaro. Now there just needs to be a new Nova. Hmmmmm, next generation Cruze perhaps? Nah, it's doing too well to mess with the naming structure.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-16-2012 05:28 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      That's what I was wondering. Chevelle would be great!

You could go into a dealer and peruse the Chevelle, Corvette, Malbu, Impala and Camaro. Now there just needs to be a new Nova. Hmmmmm, next generation Cruze perhaps? Nah, it's doing too well to mess with the naming structure.
      I'd leave the Nova name alone... the last one was a slap in the face.

I still think they should resurrects Chevette...

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      05-16-2012 06:04 PM #49
      SS though... really?

You'd think they'd have thought this through a little more. call it anything else. I suppose Jewish people don't make up most of the nascar/bonneville demographic they are going for.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-16-2012 06:36 PM #50
      That looks like a facelift of current Commodore.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast