VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet SS

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      05-18-2012 07:14 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post

Earlier I didn't mean to create a ****storm about the SS naming.. i never said they didn't put ss badges on the cars back in the day guys.. i mean.. we've all been to old muscle car shows and watched barrett jackson.. no one is that stupid. But I really do think there is a difference between calling a car "the camaro ss" and "the ss" it's stupid for one.. and it just asking for more negative connotation in a brand that doesn't need more negative connotation. I mean.. whatever.. most Americans that will buy the car will be too stupid to even know about WWII much less be able to name the actual people that were opening the gas canisters and operating the furnaces. I love the poster that just simply said definitively that it is not offensive while giving absolutely no justification for his opinion.. but stated it as if his opinion simply meant it was the truth.

I don't think it's all that offensive.. but on a scale... it's more offensive than naming the car Jeff, Nova, banana, chair, monkey butt... on the other hand i realize it's probably less offensive than a lot of words I could type here that would end up looking like ****. they could have picked pretty much anything else though in my opinion. For this consumer the SS badge holds little value from a long time ago that I didn't live in with ties to a dying brand.

I understand there is a heritage with the SS brand.. but.. GM needs to reinvent itself. I don't see this as a move in the right direction. offensive or not. (just the naming) as far as bringing the car over here.. they need to bring as many as they can in manual trim as fast as possible...

especially if it can do better than 15 mpg like the 09 gxps.
      you're an idiot.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-18-2012 07:33 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      you're an idiot.
      I am going to agree on this one. That was an absolute drivel.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

3. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-18-2012 07:42 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by OrangeA4 View Post

4. 05-18-2012 07:43 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      This car is too long in the tooth to sell good here. I predict sales flop. Rebadging the G8 was a good idea, oh I dunno...4 years ago?
      The VE Commodore (Holden) came out in 2006. As we know Pontiac got their version in 2008

VE

The Version they are talking about here is VF, which does not come out in Australia until 2013
      Looks like the U.S will get this car at the same time. New car, new interior which no one knows
      how it will look like. Though some car magazines down this way think they have the inside scoop

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...modore-110576/

VF ????????????

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-18-2012 08:03 AM #130
      That's believable. Just a grille swap would bring that design in line with Chevy, and the rear end looks just like the Malibu and Camaro.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

6. Member
      05-18-2012 09:08 AM #131
      So where is this thing? I thought they were going to announce it yesterday, but it's two days after the day of the announcement when they said they'd announce it tomorrow. It's the day after tomorrow already.

7. 05-18-2012 09:11 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      That's believable. Just a grille swap would bring that design in line with Chevy, and the rear end looks just like the Malibu and Camaro.
      Well going on the New Impala maybe Chevy is doing away with the split Grill
      So a Grill swap may not be needed, just maybe a Chevy Badge ?

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      05-18-2012 09:26 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      So where is this thing? I thought they were going to announce it yesterday, but it's two days after the day of the announcement when they said they'd announce it tomorrow. It's the day after tomorrow already.
      Look on page 3.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-18-2012 10:30 AM #134
      In Germany it's going to be called the Opel ß

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-18-2012 11:02 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

11. 05-18-2012 01:39 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by 3 Money Pits View Post

Again... The SSR (and the Baja, Blackwood, etc.) cannot be used as "trucks". These utes will do everything a half ton will do (unless you're going offroad). Need 20 sheets of 1/2" drywall? They'll handle it fine.
      I also stated that the Ute could be a replacement for the S10/Canyon/Colorado

As for the SSR (thanks SST did not sound right but i could not think of the real name) it looks like a damn truck. Built on the trailblazer platform (could be a truck). It could tow 2500-3000lbs.
      GM had the right idea but missed badly.

I am not saying the Utes are bad - I am just saying GM will be very cautious before bringing something like this back.
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

12. 05-18-2012 01:53 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      I don't know about long in the tooth.. the SS SS (see what I'm getting at about stupid name?) or the performance version of the car will probably handily compete performance wise with anything else on the market in it's price range.

I think the styling is actually more attractive than many cars styled more recently... and since there are only 22,000 g8s on the road in the US most people don't even know the car much less would they say.. that looks like an old car from 2009. They will face lift it when they bring it here anyway.

The powertrain is the same thing out of the 2009 vettes and 2011 camaros... i suppose you think those cars are long in the tooth as well? I suppose the vette might be due for a refresh in a couple years.. but this is nothing compared to say the NSX's run... or many other cars.

Earlier I didn't mean to create a ****storm about the SS naming.. i never said they didn't put ss badges on the cars back in the day guys.. i mean.. we've all been to old muscle car shows and watched barrett jackson.. no one is that stupid. But I really do think there is a difference between calling a car "the camaro ss" and "the ss" it's stupid for one.. and it just asking for more negative connotation in a brand that doesn't need more negative connotation. I mean.. whatever.. most Americans that will buy the car will be too stupid to even know about WWII much less be able to name the actual people that were opening the gas canisters and operating the furnaces. I love the poster that just simply said definitively that it is not offensive while giving absolutely no justification for his opinion.. but stated it as if his opinion simply meant it was the truth.

I don't think it's all that offensive.. but on a scale... it's more offensive than naming the car Jeff, Nova, banana, chair, monkey butt... on the other hand i realize it's probably less offensive than a lot of words I could type here that would end up looking like ****. they could have picked pretty much anything else though in my opinion. For this consumer the SS badge holds little value from a long time ago that I didn't live in with ties to a dying brand.

I understand there is a heritage with the SS brand.. but.. GM needs to reinvent itself. I don't see this as a move in the right direction. offensive or not. (just the naming) as far as bringing the car over here.. they need to bring as many as they can in manual trim as fast as possible...

especially if it can do better than 15 mpg like the 09 gxps.
      Wow; every time you post, I am constantly impressed with your stupidity...

Please think before posting next time.
      Last edited by Air-over-water; 05-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

13. 05-18-2012 02:51 PM #138
      This better not suck GM... You hear me?!?

14. 05-18-2012 03:16 PM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by Noisyninja View Post
      Just give me one of these. Either one.

Give me the wagon and I'll be happy.

15. 05-18-2012 03:42 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by doubleu8 View Post
      This better not suck GM... You hear me?!?
      6L 6speed 4 door car

it would have to be pretty damn ugly for it to not get my attention
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-18-2012 03:52 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I bet that joke will kill in Germany.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Accord Sedan 6-6
      05-20-2012 11:32 AM #142
      I only care if I can get it with a manual transmission. I was all set to by a charger, but alas, no manual option offered.
      Current: 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6-Speed - 2011 JSW TDi 6spd
      Past: 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon Sold @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base Sold @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd Sold @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Sold @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd Sold @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base Sold @154k

Vehicles
      Six Speed Satanizer
      05-20-2012 06:45 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by timmy222 View Post
      That makes sense.
      Refreshed version means it can be re-developed with a global market in mind, a fresher look, and it clearly has that new Chevrolet rear clip design.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You are in the land of rust and honey.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-20-2012 07:24 PM #144
      If the current build quality of Commodore cars is anything to go by, this one will be pretty darn awful.

Don't hold your hopes up, folks.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Vehicles
      '13 Jetta
      05-20-2012 07:43 PM #145
      Manual transmission please
      Quote Originally Posted by Zhine
      Power sliding is not worth it, I realized I was addicted and have taken up a much healthier safer hobby called high school girls

05-20-2012 08:57 PM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      If the current build quality of Commodore cars is anything to go by, this one will be pretty darn awful.

Holden: Australian for Junk

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-20-2012 09:00 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Holden: Australian for Junk
      As far as build quality goes, I am going to agree with you on that one.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-20-2012 09:19 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post

2008-2009 G8s were fine...
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-20-2012 10:07 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      2008-2009 G8s were fine...
      Not from what I can see. The most "in your face" example would be bits and piece of trim falling off which makes quality of early 90s Saabs look like 1980s Mercedes Benz.

Vehicles
      15 BMW 3-97 4Runner-07 CR-V (84/85 Sciroccos RIP/77 Rabbit RIP/etc)
      05-20-2012 10:15 PM #150
      So Pontiac G8 GT with a cooler looking badge, score

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast