The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Chevrolet SS

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-17-2012 04:24 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by 3 Money Pits View Post
      Problem is, I guarantee if GM brings it over, they'll try to market it like a Blackwood or SSR. Big engine, lots of leather, automatic, and a $35k+ price to match. A "niche truck"

And they'll sell... A dozen.

Why TF they can't bring over (or build here) one with a V6 or turbo 4, market it as THE OMG KING OF MPGEEES IN TRUCKS, and sell it starting at $25k or so?

Also, before the inevitable happens... These utes are REAL trucks. The current gen has a higher payload capacity than an F150, and can tow almost as much. This is NOT comparable to a Baja.
      They can't sell a utilitarian Ute for $25K when you can get a V8 full sized "real truck" for the same $K.

2. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-17-2012 04:32 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      They can't sell a utilitarian Ute for $25K when you can get a V8 full sized "real truck" for the same $K.
      I think they could. If the thing is being built already, there are essentially no/little development/certification costs and I think that they're aimed at different markets even if they do similar jobs.

This thing only seats two, there aren't heavy duty versions (even if this is capable as it sits), there's no 4wd option and this one sits low like a car. Truck guys like sitting high.

The plusses for it? Mileage, it drives like a car and it sits lower. Non truck guys like sitting lower.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

3. 05-17-2012 04:51 PM #108

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      "What is a Ute?" [/FredGwynn]

4. 05-17-2012 05:08 PM #109
      I think they could. If the thing is being built already, there are essentially no/little development/certification costs and I think that they're aimed at different markets even if they do similar jobs.

This thing only seats two, there aren't heavy duty versions (even if this is capable as it sits), there's no 4wd option and this one sits low like a car. Truck guys like sitting high.

The plusses for it? Mileage, it drives like a car and it sits lower. Non truck guys like sitting lower.
      Didn't GM already try that with the SST (or whatever it was called) retro/truck/convertible looking thing

Thought that was a failure?

I doubt they bring the Ute here. Maybe a Colorado/Canyon replacement perhaps
      Boiler Up!

Make it three yards mother****er and we'll have an automobile race

5. 05-17-2012 05:11 PM #110
      i want this only in Buick trim and a turbo charged V6 - they can call it a GNX

i'll wake up now
      Boiler Up!

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-17-2012 05:15 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
      *pic of Holden ute
      I'm well aware, as has been pointed out in the thread. I was referencing this:

It's at 1:28.

Vehicles
      '11 TTS Coupe
      05-17-2012 05:42 PM #112

My brother had one of these when I was a kid.
      '11 TTS Coupe
      '08 A4 Avant 2.0t S-line Titanium
      '01 A4 Avant 1.8t S-line (Sold)
      '90 Coupe Quattro 20v (Sold)
      '95 "Getta" VR6 (Sold)

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      05-17-2012 06:19 PM #113
      Car and Driver has reported that the SS will be a very short lived model, because production is set to move to N. America in 2015.5. Correcting my earlier statement, Chevy SS will move to Zeta 2 in 2015.5, not Alpha.

From C&D:

New Stuff: Two RWD Platforms On the Way

Today’s Zeta will morph into the lighter and even more flexible Zeta II for 2015, at which point the Camaro will move onto the Alpha component set also used by Cadillac’s ATS and next-gen CTS. Before that happens, though, Chevy will sell a pair of Zeta-based cars. Actually, the first of these is already on sale—if you’re a state, county, or municipal government that’s allowed to purchase imported products. (Many departments have rules that prevent them from purchasing vehicles not assembled in America.) The vehicle is the Chevrolet Caprice PPV.

The second vehicle, of course, is the most interesting. Perhaps as a way to justify future North American production of its cop car, perhaps simply because Chevy “gets it,” a civilized, civilian take on the PPV joins the model lineup next year. Wearing the SuperSport badge, the car will initially ride on the current Zeta platform and be offered exclusively as a four-door sedan. The SuperSport name and styling also will be applied to the 2013 Chevrolet NASCAR entry. The launch powerplant for the roadgoing car is expected to be the Camaro SS’s 6.2-liter V-8, pumping out something on the high side of 415 hp. A version of GM’s latest 3.6-liter V-6 will be added after the launch for the weaker of heart; we’d expect this engine to produce at least 320 hp. The SuperSport and the Caprice PPV will then migrate to the Zeta II platform in time for the 2015.5 model year. When this happens, full production will shift to North America, thereby delivering a much larger market for the cop version. In addition to the SuperSport sedan, a cropped-rear-overhang sport wagon and a Ute pickup are being considered for the North American market.

Zeta II also will be used for two Chinese-market Buicks starting in late 2014, and one or both of these cars could arrive in North American showrooms if it’s determined that brand needs large rear-drive cars. Conspicuously absent from the Zeta II plans is anything from Cadillac. That’s another story—and another platform.
      Should be interesting to see what unfolds with Chevy's car line-up. I'd almost like to see the FWD Impala go away after this upcoming generation to give the Malibu and Buick brand more breathing room, and be replaced by a RWD Zeta II Impala. Then make the SS go on Alpha to allow it to be a 4-door version of the Camaro. That will give GM the volume it needs it support the Zeta II development cost.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Accord
      05-17-2012 06:24 PM #114
      Looks like they might be borrowing (hopefully) some cues from the Coupe 60:

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Coupe_60

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2012 Beetle
      05-17-2012 06:32 PM #115
      Just give me one of these. Either one.

We all talk with knives.

Vehicles
      Several...
      05-17-2012 08:40 PM #116
      For $25k, it wouldn't be utilitarian. Barely any car is "utilitarian" anymore. My point is that if GM brought it over, undoubtedly they would market it as some niche offering "sport truck" that costs big bucks. It'll then flop, and everyone will fall back to the 'ol "Americans only drive big trucks" mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Juiced6 View Post
      Didn't GM already try that with the SST (or whatever it was called) retro/truck/convertible looking thing

Thought that was a failure?
      Again... The SSR (and the Baja, Blackwood, etc.) cannot be used as "trucks". These utes will do everything a half ton will do (unless you're going offroad). Need 20 sheets of 1/2" drywall? They'll handle it fine.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-17-2012 09:20 PM #117
      Precisely.

. Non truck guys like sitting lower.
      Non truck guys don't buy trucks, because they don't actually need trucks. Truck guys, on the other hand, need trucks and vote with their dollars. If someone doesn't have have at least a beater truck to go with their daily driver, I don't think they need a truck enough to follow through on buying one of the jack-of-all-trades truck alternatives that get praised around here.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

13. 05-17-2012 09:37 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      That's a Caprice.

Longer version of the same car.
      FTFY
      "This couldn't possibly break, I'll put it way the **** down there." -every German car engineer.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      05-17-2012 10:06 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Non truck guys don't buy trucks, because they don't actually need trucks. Truck guys, on the other hand, need trucks and vote with their dollars. If someone doesn't have have at least a beater truck to go with their daily driver, I don't think they need a truck enough to follow through on buying one of the jack-of-all-trades truck alternatives that get praised around here.
      Ya, those brodozers are out there because they're "needed" lol.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-17-2012 10:07 PM #120
      I just dawned on me that in 2014-ish, a person can walk into one of those midwestern GM megaplexes and be able to choose from the following:

Corvette
      Camaro
      SS
      ATS-V
      BTS-V(?) Coupe
      CTS-V

Now, if GMC would resurrect the Typhoon.

Vehicles
      '93 940, '95 SL1, '88 740, '85 740
      05-17-2012 10:13 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Benkennedy11 View Post
      FTFY
      They share exactly zero body panels or interior pieces.

Different car.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-17-2012 10:21 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Ya, those brodozers are out there because they're "needed" lol.
      Whether they're needed or not, the point stands. Their owners actually went out and bought a truck for whatever reason, and the preferences of people who actually buy trucks drive the truck market. Someone who doesn't own a truck, on the other hand, is probably not likely to start doing so just because all of a sudden they can buy one that's based on an Australian family sedan.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      05-17-2012 10:38 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Whether they're needed or not, the point stands. Their owners actually went out and bought a truck for whatever reason, and the preferences of people who actually buy trucks drive the truck market. Someone who doesn't own a truck, on the other hand, is probably not likely to start doing so just because all of a sudden they can buy one that's based on an Australian family sedan.
      I would happily go buy a Ute if they were actually available. I enjoy practicality, but I also enjoy car-like handling and not feeling like I'm riding on top of a 6-foot tall sofa. The Maloo R8 is pretty much my perfect all-around vehicle, and I'd give my testicles to have one.

Would I say the same about a traditional pick-up? Not on your life.

tl;dr I have no desire to ever own a "truck", but I'd happily have a Ute.

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      05-17-2012 10:48 PM #124
      My Cousin Vinnie.... best damn movie of all time, period......

Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center."
      Oh, a counter-offer. That's what we lawyers - I'm a lawyer - we lawyers call that a counter-offer. This is a tough decision here. Get my ass kicked or collect $200. Let me think... I could use a good ass-kickin', I'll be very honest with you... nah, I think I'll just go with the two hundred.

Oh yeah... great looking car, btw. I do, however, prefer the Holden front end.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      05-17-2012 10:51 PM #125
      The ute doesn't appeal to me, and I like weird things and things that can haul without being truck-ish. I dunno why. The styling is off or something.

I'd rather have the wagon. It looks very slick. Much cleaner design than the pug-awkward D-pillar of the CTS wagon.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

21. 05-18-2012 03:58 AM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      This car is too long in the tooth to sell good here. I predict sales flop. Rebadging the G8 was a good idea, oh I dunno...4 years ago?
      I don't know about long in the tooth.. the SS SS (see what I'm getting at about stupid name?) or the performance version of the car will probably handily compete performance wise with anything else on the market in it's price range.

I think the styling is actually more attractive than many cars styled more recently... and since there are only 22,000 g8s on the road in the US most people don't even know the car much less would they say.. that looks like an old car from 2009. They will face lift it when they bring it here anyway.

The powertrain is the same thing out of the 2009 vettes and 2011 camaros... i suppose you think those cars are long in the tooth as well? I suppose the vette might be due for a refresh in a couple years.. but this is nothing compared to say the NSX's run... or many other cars.

Earlier I didn't mean to create a ****storm about the SS naming.. i never said they didn't put ss badges on the cars back in the day guys.. i mean.. we've all been to old muscle car shows and watched barrett jackson.. no one is that stupid. But I really do think there is a difference between calling a car "the camaro ss" and "the ss" it's stupid for one.. and it just asking for more negative connotation in a brand that doesn't need more negative connotation. I mean.. whatever.. most Americans that will buy the car will be too stupid to even know about WWII much less be able to name the actual people that were opening the gas canisters and operating the furnaces. I love the poster that just simply said definitively that it is not offensive while giving absolutely no justification for his opinion.. but stated it as if his opinion simply meant it was the truth.

I don't think it's all that offensive.. but on a scale... it's more offensive than naming the car Jeff, Nova, banana, chair, monkey butt... on the other hand i realize it's probably less offensive than a lot of words I could type here that would end up looking like ****. they could have picked pretty much anything else though in my opinion. For this consumer the SS badge holds little value from a long time ago that I didn't live in with ties to a dying brand.

I understand there is a heritage with the SS brand.. but.. GM needs to reinvent itself. I don't see this as a move in the right direction. offensive or not. (just the naming) as far as bringing the car over here.. they need to bring as many as they can in manual trim as fast as possible...

especially if it can do better than 15 mpg like the 09 gxps.
      Last edited by x1000rpms; 05-18-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 07:14 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post

Earlier I didn't mean to create a ****storm about the SS naming.. i never said they didn't put ss badges on the cars back in the day guys.. i mean.. we've all been to old muscle car shows and watched barrett jackson.. no one is that stupid. But I really do think there is a difference between calling a car "the camaro ss" and "the ss" it's stupid for one.. and it just asking for more negative connotation in a brand that doesn't need more negative connotation. I mean.. whatever.. most Americans that will buy the car will be too stupid to even know about WWII much less be able to name the actual people that were opening the gas canisters and operating the furnaces. I love the poster that just simply said definitively that it is not offensive while giving absolutely no justification for his opinion.. but stated it as if his opinion simply meant it was the truth.

I don't think it's all that offensive.. but on a scale... it's more offensive than naming the car Jeff, Nova, banana, chair, monkey butt... on the other hand i realize it's probably less offensive than a lot of words I could type here that would end up looking like ****. they could have picked pretty much anything else though in my opinion. For this consumer the SS badge holds little value from a long time ago that I didn't live in with ties to a dying brand.

I understand there is a heritage with the SS brand.. but.. GM needs to reinvent itself. I don't see this as a move in the right direction. offensive or not. (just the naming) as far as bringing the car over here.. they need to bring as many as they can in manual trim as fast as possible...

you're an idiot.

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      05-18-2012 07:33 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      you're an idiot.
      I am going to agree on this one. That was an absolute drivel.
      The gloves are off, the wisdom teeth are out
      What you on about ?

24. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-18-2012 07:42 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by OrangeA4 View Post

25. 05-18-2012 07:43 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      This car is too long in the tooth to sell good here. I predict sales flop. Rebadging the G8 was a good idea, oh I dunno...4 years ago?
      The VE Commodore (Holden) came out in 2006. As we know Pontiac got their version in 2008

VE

The Version they are talking about here is VF, which does not come out in Australia until 2013
      Looks like the U.S will get this car at the same time. New car, new interior which no one knows
      how it will look like. Though some car magazines down this way think they have the inside scoop

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...modore-110576/

VF ????????????

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      05-18-2012 08:03 AM #131
      That's believable. Just a grille swap would bring that design in line with Chevy, and the rear end looks just like the Malibu and Camaro.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

27. Member
      05-18-2012 09:08 AM #132
      So where is this thing? I thought they were going to announce it yesterday, but it's two days after the day of the announcement when they said they'd announce it tomorrow. It's the day after tomorrow already.

28. 05-18-2012 09:11 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      That's believable. Just a grille swap would bring that design in line with Chevy, and the rear end looks just like the Malibu and Camaro.
      Well going on the New Impala maybe Chevy is doing away with the split Grill
      So a Grill swap may not be needed, just maybe a Chevy Badge ?

Vehicles
      05-18-2012 09:26 AM #134
      Quote Originally Posted by GahannaKid View Post
      So where is this thing? I thought they were going to announce it yesterday, but it's two days after the day of the announcement when they said they'd announce it tomorrow. It's the day after tomorrow already.
      Look on page 3.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-18-2012 10:30 AM #135
      In Germany it's going to be called the Opel ß

31. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-18-2012 11:02 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
      In Germany it's going to be called the Opel ß

32. 05-18-2012 01:39 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by 3 Money Pits View Post

Again... The SSR (and the Baja, Blackwood, etc.) cannot be used as "trucks". These utes will do everything a half ton will do (unless you're going offroad). Need 20 sheets of 1/2" drywall? They'll handle it fine.
      I also stated that the Ute could be a replacement for the S10/Canyon/Colorado

As for the SSR (thanks SST did not sound right but i could not think of the real name) it looks like a damn truck. Built on the trailblazer platform (could be a truck). It could tow 2500-3000lbs.
      GM had the right idea but missed badly.

I am not saying the Utes are bad - I am just saying GM will be very cautious before bringing something like this back.
      Boiler Up!

33. 05-18-2012 01:53 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by x1000rpms View Post
      I don't know about long in the tooth.. the SS SS (see what I'm getting at about stupid name?) or the performance version of the car will probably handily compete performance wise with anything else on the market in it's price range.

I think the styling is actually more attractive than many cars styled more recently... and since there are only 22,000 g8s on the road in the US most people don't even know the car much less would they say.. that looks like an old car from 2009. They will face lift it when they bring it here anyway.

The powertrain is the same thing out of the 2009 vettes and 2011 camaros... i suppose you think those cars are long in the tooth as well? I suppose the vette might be due for a refresh in a couple years.. but this is nothing compared to say the NSX's run... or many other cars.

Wow; every time you post, I am constantly impressed with your stupidity...

Please think before posting next time.
      Last edited by Air-over-water; 05-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.

34. 05-18-2012 02:51 PM #139
      This better not suck GM... You hear me?!?

35. 05-18-2012 03:16 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by Noisyninja View Post
      Just give me one of these. Either one.

Give me the wagon and I'll be happy.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast