VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2013 Chevrolet SS

68K views 287 replies 102 participants last post by  whitejeep1989 
#1 ·
holden to announce export of the commodore to u.s. As chevrolet ss: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the commodore, which will see the adelaide [australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the united states. Though sales of the elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in australia, a commodore v8 will be exported to america where it will be sold with the chevrolet ss performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the nascar stock car racing series, which runs second only to formula one in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the dodge charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the usa hint that an announcement of the chevrolet ss program is imminent, including the holden connection. The coming vf commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for american muscle car fans, and nascar stock car racing as well, thanks to its v8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former gm holden president mark reuss, now the head of gm operations in the us and a known fan and supporter of the commodore, dodged carsguide's questions on a link between the ss program and the commodore. Holden chairman mike devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the us, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)
so excited.

#77 ·
It's officially official: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/holden-to-announce-export-of-commodore-sedan-to-north-america-o/

Calling it "Holden's worst kept secret," a report in Australia's Drive indicates that the General Motors antipodean brand will announce "very soon" that it will be exporting "thousands of Commodores to the U.S. from 2013." Or, put another way, we will be getting thousands of Chevrolet SS Performance sedans – the Pontiac G8 in a previous life – starting next year.

The report says Holden is divulging the news earlier than planned because leaks just about everywhere, including OnStar, as well as trade-publication reports and speculation about GM's 2013 NASCAR entrant, have got everyone looking southward for confirmation of the answer we already (almost) know.

Drive says our rear-wheel drive Chevrolet will get a revised take on the VF-model Commodore that has an aluminum hood to make it lighter and less aggressive wheel arches to make it more slippery. No hard numbers are attached to the export rumors, but it is expected to number "much fewer than the 50,000-odd" units that were predicted for the Pontiac G8 program.

The scintillating line for bitter enthusiasts still chafing over the confirmed-then-cancelled G8 ST Ute corn tease is that the exports "could also expand to involve ute and sportwagon variants." Drive didn't, but we will emphasize the word "could," since we've been here before. However, that does jive with a report in Car and Driver indicating the same thing. Holden's announcement could be made as soon as later today right now – see below for update.

*UPDATE: Well that didn't take long. General Motors has officially confirmed that the new Holden-derived sedan will be called simply Chevrolet SS. The SS will race in NASCAR beginning with the 2013 Daytona 500 and will appear in showrooms in 2014. GM isn't getting into specifics, but says "The much anticipated Australian-built car will benefit from significant technology advances which enhance overall performance." As to additional bodystyles like a wagon or pickup, well, GM isn't saying. See more in the official press release added below, and click on the image above to get a look at GM's newest racer all camo'd up.

#103 ·
Problem is, I guarantee if GM brings it over, they'll try to market it like a Blackwood or SSR. Big engine, lots of leather, automatic, and a $35k+ price to match. A "niche truck"

And they'll sell... A dozen. :banghead:

Why TF they can't bring over (or build here) one with a V6 or turbo 4, market it as THE OMG KING OF MPGEEES IN TRUCKS, and sell it starting at $25k or so?

Also, before the inevitable happens... These utes are REAL trucks. The current gen has a higher payload capacity than an F150, and can tow almost as much. This is NOT comparable to a Baja.

#93 ·
Colored in what I could see, styling wise on the front.

The photo they used made the drivers side headlight area invisible, so I couldnt find it.

#124 ·
My Cousin Vinnie.... best damn movie of all time, period......

Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center."
Oh, a counter-offer. That's what we lawyers - I'm a lawyer - we lawyers call that a counter-offer. This is a tough decision here. Get my ass kicked or collect $200. Let me think... I could use a good ass-kickin', I'll be very honest with you... nah, I think I'll just go with the two hundred.

Oh yeah... great looking car, btw. I do, however, prefer the Holden front end.

#125 ·
The ute doesn't appeal to me, and I like weird things and things that can haul without being truck-ish. I dunno why. The styling is off or something.

I'd rather have the wagon. It looks very slick. Much cleaner design than the pug-awkward D-pillar of the CTS wagon.

#134 ·
Look on page 3.

#143 ·
I only care if I can get it with a manual transmission. I was all set to by a charger, but alas, no manual option offered.

#145 ·
If the current build quality of Commodore cars is anything to go by, this one will be pretty darn awful.

Don't hold your hopes up, folks.

#152 ·

Clearest image so far of the front of the 2013 NASCAR Cup Chevrolet...which will be the SS...fire up photoshop!

#154 ·
Clearest image so far of the front of the 2013 NASCAR Cup Chevrolet...which will be the SS...fire up photoshop!
Considering NASCAR Sprint Cup cars are based on a standard body template, this tells us basically nothing about the car. You can see some fascia shape outlines, but they look exactly like the front end of a Malibu.

#157 ·
Lmao, not next year they wont be.
Ford:

Toyota:

What was to be the Dodge:

#161 ·
Saw my first cop-issue 2013 Caprice in the flesh today on I-80. It looked pretty good all blacked out with the angry service wheels on it. Front end styling comes off as understated, and the rear end is quite compact looking for such a substantial car.

After shadowing it for a spell, I gave it a personal :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.