Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stalling after 15 min drive/oil light blinking

Vehicles
      2012 GTI MKVI DSG 1986 Cabriolet MKI
      05-16-2012 03:10 PM #1
      Just got my 86 cabby and I love it. But just after the second drive around the neighborhood. The car begins to sputter and eventually stall. I wait about 30 min and I am able to drive again for 15 more min before stall. The engine oil light blinks when it stalls. Also the battery light and O2 light come on. I searched this forum but could only find when the oil light blinks when NOTHING is wrong. Something is defiantly wrong with mine. The garage that used to service it just changed the oil and filter (with what brand I dont know) and said the car was meticulously taken care of. Could it be something simple or I am I in for a hard, expensive repair. Figures this would happen the first day I got it.
      MKVI|APR K04|BSH|42dd|Koni

MKI OEM+

Vehicles
      91 Burgundy Etienne(2), 06 2.5L Jetta, 08 GTI 2.0T
      05-16-2012 03:20 PM #2
      I don't have a CIS based engine, but it almost sounds like the fuel pump is dropping out as it heats up.

In any case, read up on the CIS troubleshooting guide here...

http://www.cabby-info.com/fuel.htm

All those lights are normal, when an engine shuts off.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 05:11 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by CajunSpike View Post
      I don't have a CIS based engine, but it almost sounds like the fuel pump is dropping out as it heats up.

In any case, read up on the CIS troubleshooting guide here...

All those lights are normal, when an engine shuts off.
      Being a noob and don't know **** over shinola, I 2 thought it could be a fuel pump. Is that a classic fuel pump symptom, running for like 15 min then car stalling? There are 2 on this car correct? Wonder if I could do it myself?

MKI OEM+

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 05:29 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Swagger76 View Post
      Being a noob and don't know **** over shinola, I 2 thought it could be a fuel pump. Is that a classic fuel pump symptom, running for like 15 min then car stalling? There are 2 on this car correct? Wonder if I could do it myself?
      At one time or another, all of us didn't know much. Thats why we came here and asked for help.

Changing the pumps are not hard. I have more experience with the 90-93 cars..wait a bit for somebody with more talent in the CIS cars to show up and say how to do it.

Tell you what...read up on this page all about the fuel system in your car(CIS).
      There is a trouble shooting page on it, also.

This piece sounds like your issue

cabby-info quote:
      Car dies when hot: If the car dies, or tries to stall (sputters) when the engine is warm/hot, it's possible that the fuel pumps are overheating (this is especially true if the fuel tank is low on fuel). This is usually an indication that the fuel pumps are on their way out. On CIS cars, it's advised that you replace both pumps at the same time, unless one pump was recently replaced (or if the car has no transfer pump). Nine times out of ten, when only one pump is replaced, problems still exist and the second pump then needs to be replaced.
      unquote.

Last edited by CajunSpike; 05-16-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Vehicles
      05-16-2012 05:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CajunSpike View Post
      At one time or another, all of us didn't know much. Thats why we came here and asked for help.

Changing the pumps are not hard. I have more experience with the 90-93 cars..wait a bit for somebody more talent in the CIS cars to show up and say how to do it.

Tell you what...read up on this page all about the fuel system in your car(CIS).
      There is a trouble shooting page on it, also.

This piece sounds like your issue

cabby-info quote:
      Car dies when hot: If the car dies, or tries to stall (sputters) when the engine is warm/hot, it's possible that the fuel pumps are overheating (this is especially true if the fuel tank is low on fuel). This is usually an indication that the fuel pumps are on their way out. On CIS cars, it's advised that you replace both pumps at the same time, unless one pump was recently replaced (or if the car has no transfer pump). Nine times out of ten, when only one pump is replaced, problems still exist and the second pump then needs to be replaced.
      unquote.

u guys rock!!! Sounds like thats it!! But I don't know if ill tackle it myself yet... We'll see.

MKI OEM+

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet
      05-17-2012 06:49 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Swagger76 View Post
      u guys rock!!! Sounds like thats it!! But I don't know if ill tackle it myself yet... We'll see.
      No Guts, Know Glory.

Just spray all nuts and bolts with CRC-Freeze-Off or PB-Blaster for about 20 minutes prior to starting.

Please disconnect the Battery, and remove the gas cap, otherwise to quote Johnny Storm "FLAME ON..."
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my grounds ?
      I am a Commodian. I tell really Crappy jokes.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1965 Beetle, 1987 Triple White, 1988 cabriolet, 1993 2dr Fox gl, 1999 Jetta GL
      05-17-2012 07:32 AM #7
      Sounds like intank pump is getting hot and dropping out.....does this get worse as the fuel level in the tank gets lower (like 1/4 of a tank or less) ???

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 01:12 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Beetle.freak View Post
      Sounds like intank pump is getting hot and dropping out.....does this get worse as the fuel level in the tank gets lower (like 1/4 of a tank or less) ???
      Just got the car and have not put gas in her yet but I think it might be getting low. The dealer who I bought it from told me he never had any problems like this and drove it a fairly long distance and let it idle a long time (whether he is telling the truth, I do not know ). Anyway, when it sputters and eventually stalls, there is a whine from the passengers side which makes me think it is the fuel pump. Im going to fill her up today and see if it happens. If it runs fine on a full tank, could I assume a definite on the fuel pump? Thanks guys!!

MKI OEM+

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1965 Beetle, 1987 Triple White, 1988 cabriolet, 1993 2dr Fox gl, 1999 Jetta GL
      05-17-2012 02:06 PM #9
      For what little time/effort is involved I'd pop the back seat base, remove the round black access cover and pull the sending unit/intank pump, inspect the hose that connects the fuel pump to the sending unit for pin holes or hose rot, inspect the screen on the bottom of the pump for crap. If there's holes in the fuel hose between the pump and sending unit then its not feeding the outter pump all of which its pumping...instead its shooting/bleeding fuel back into the tank...at a half a tank of fuel or more the upper part of the fuel sendng unit line is submerged in fuel and not sucking air like when fuel level is at a half a tank or less..hence the "whining" outer pump you can hear. Sorry didn't mean to write a book...lol

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 03:03 PM #10
      to back up what beetle.freak said...

this is the hose he explained about.

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 03:10 PM #11
      Thanks a lot guys!! Will give it a shot on my days off.

MKI OEM+

Vehicles
      05-17-2012 03:59 PM #12
      Well, I filled it up all the way. It did eventually sputter and eventually stall but it took a longer time to do it. The passenger side was still whinning. Going to go ahead and order the fuel pumps. Wish me luck!!

MKI OEM+