Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Weird Networking Issue

1. 05-16-2012 05:54 PM #1
      Like the title states, i have a weird networking issue with a laptop. We have a static IP scheme, and recently one of our laptops have been giving us issue.

The latest issue was with the IP address, we set it up with the static IP address but when going into cmd we were looking at the addressing and it would show me a completely different ip address and default gateway.

has anybody seen something like this? We are using windows 7 on an HP laptop.
      I had a funny signature before, and it went to waste with the switch!

AZ people need a quick computer repair www.mightyits.com

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      05-16-2012 06:23 PM #2
      Are you looking at the correct network adapter? What exactly does the command prompt show?

Why are you guys using static IP's? Why not DHCP, you can even do reserved DHCP so everyone always gets a specific IP but there is no client-side configuration...
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

3. 05-16-2012 08:29 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Are you looking at the correct network adapter? What exactly does the command prompt show?

Why are you guys using static IP's? Why not DHCP, you can even do reserved DHCP so everyone always gets a specific IP but there is no client-side configuration...

The reason they have static IP is because they haven't had the opportunity to install a freaking domian yet, they had a mess before that i'm suppose to clean up, we are looking into going DHCP. We have been looking into the correct adapter, now that you mention it the reserved DHCP might be worth it to give it a shot in the meantime.

Vehicles
      2004 Turbo VR6
      05-17-2012 02:36 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      The reason they have static IP is because they haven't had the opportunity to install a freaking domian yet, they had a mess before that i'm suppose to clean up, we are looking into going DHCP. We have been looking into the correct adapter, now that you mention it the reserved DHCP might be worth it to give it a shot in the meantime.
      Having a domain or not doesnt really matter regarding dhcp/static ip's.

Can you please post the ipconfig /all output in here?
      -James
      04 GTI Silverstone 24vT :: GT35r - TT 264/260 - Unitronic 630cc - Bosch 044 - Area51 SRI - Full 3" TB :: More in progress
      >> http://zingledot.myminicity.com/ | http://sourceforge.net/projects/imagizer2 <<

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      05-17-2012 04:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PhReE View Post
      Are you looking at the correct network adapter?
      This.

Perhaps you're seeing the entry for the wireless adapter or a virtual adapter for VPN software.

6. 05-17-2012 04:52 PM #6
      What IP address were you expecting and what IP address is actually being shown?

7. 05-18-2012 03:16 PM #7
      I'll try to get the ipconfig result lets say the user is not very cooperative he decided to start using the wireless, i'll try to get the results today so i can post it.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32 - The White One
      05-19-2012 04:57 AM #8
      If an interface is not connected (link down) it may not have initialized the IP stack to load the IP address configured. In that case, I would expect an address in the link-local subnet, 169.254.0.0/26. Link local addresses are assigned using stateless address auto-configuration, which occurs when a failure has occurred preventing a real address to load.

Or you could just be looking at the wrong interface,

9. 05-20-2012 12:05 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
      If an interface is not connected (link down) it may not have initialized the IP stack to load the IP address configured. In that case, I would expect an address in the link-local subnet, 169.254.0.0/26. Link local addresses are assigned using stateless address auto-configuration, which occurs when a failure has occurred preventing a real address to load.

Or you could just be looking at the wrong interface,
      it wasn't that ip and it was the right interface we triple checked between tech support and IT guys it was weird

10. 06-06-2012 04:24 PM #10
      well by accident i was able to replicate the issue with my own machine.

Now this time i'm not using static IP, i'm using DHCP on a Linksys Access point. When i try to log in wireless it just tells me that i'm connected but i have no internet access, i went to get a cable thinking the wireless adapter might be screwed up and connected to the access point.

Here is the IP address that i'm getting

IP 169.254.83.249
      Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

I've been reading about the subject but i couldn't find much info on it, apparently it might be a DHCP problem, so i already disabled IPv6 networking and i still get that freaking IP address, i already tried enabling and disabling the adapter, updating the drivers for both controllers and i still have a no go, i rebooted the access point.

Funny thing is that if i log in through another access point i have internet access, this thing has seriously stumped. Any tips help opinions

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Audi S4/2002 Golf TDI
      06-06-2012 06:33 PM #11
      IP 169.254.83.249
      Subnet mask 255.255.0.0

This is reserved IP space for windows machines that are set to dhcp but don't get a response from a server... It's meant to make networking quick and easy without having to use DHCP or static IPs, but only if all systems are setup without static or dhcp .

12. 06-06-2012 07:56 PM #12
      What do you mean other access point? What does this network even look like?

168.x.x.x is APIPA range, meaning that the machine is set to get an address automatically, but didn't get any reply from a DHCP server. I'd check to make sure that your DHCP server is working and pingable from wherever you connected it (you might have to temporarily give it a static address outside the DHCP range to avoid an IP conflicts).

13. 06-07-2012 01:28 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
      What do you mean other access point? What does this network even look like?

168.x.x.x is APIPA range, meaning that the machine is set to get an address automatically, but didn't get any reply from a DHCP server. I'd check to make sure that your DHCP server is working and pingable from wherever you connected it (you might have to temporarily give it a static address outside the DHCP range to avoid an IP conflicts).
      We have three different networks. Our LAN, a generic account for our guests and for testing purposes, and we have our militarized access point that only certain people can access too, that's why we have that, the funny thing is that only one laptop has issues connecting to our militarized one which would be my laptop, the other devices have no issues at all, it's kind of cool since i was able to replicate it, and now i have a better understanding of what's going on, now the fun part will be to solve this issue.

14. 06-07-2012 11:23 AM #14
      If you're getting a 169.254.x.x IP address, your laptop didn't get a DHCP address. That IP is called an automatic personal IP address. Basically, you're not connected to the network. Either that Linksys Access Point is not configured properly or you have something wrong with your DHCP server. Disabling IPv6 won't affect the IPv4 address (169.254.x.x) you're getting. Do you have MAC address filtering going on? That'd be one way you wouldn't be able to get an IP address.

15. 06-07-2012 12:35 PM #15
      We don't have MAC address filtering, what is really odd is the fact that there are other 3 devices connected and my laptop is the only one that can't connect. I already checked and it has all the default settings on the linksys.