Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't look good for the comapny that was involved in the fatal Ferrari crash this past Sunday...

1. Member
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-17-2012 05:38 PM #1
      Source: http://gothamist.com/2012/05/17/vide...tal_ferrar.php

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamist.com

On Sunday, a motorcyclist was killed in a head-on collision when a Ferrari swerved into his lane on a service road near the MetLife Stadium. State police believe that the Ferrari driver, Joseph Ferretti, who was charged in Stephen Lenge's death, was traveling above the 25 MPH speed limit. It also turns out that his brother, who works for the company that hired Ferretti to drive the car to an event, promotes a line of DVDs and experiences called, SuperSpeeders, "where Horsepower Rules and the rules of the road Don't Apply."

Ferretti, 28, and Joseph Meyer, 19, were working for Gotham Dream Cars, which puts on the Dream Car Sprint, where people can pay $100 to drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini in a closed course at MetLife Stadium. Ferretti was driving a red Ferrari and Meyer a silver Ferrari from a gas station back to the event course when Meyer allegedly lost control of the silver Ferrari and spun, prompting Ferretti to go around the other vehicle—and into the opposite lane, colliding head first into Lenge, a 56-year-old stagehand who was heading to work at another part of the stadium. Lenge's motorcycle was split in half and he was pronounced dead at the scene. A witness told the Bergen Record the cars were going "faster than you see on an interstate."

Ferretti's brother, Rob Ferretti, is the COO of Gotham Dream Cars, and he has been quoted in the Record as calling the Dream Car Sprint "safe. It’s very controlled," and pointed out that the speeds of the cars in the course are 55-70 mph. But Rob Ferretti is the only person with a bio on SuperSpeeders. In a Q&A on the site, when asked, "How many speeding violations have you gotten thus far?" he says, "That's a tough question to answer because I don't count I can say though I've received over 100 citations to date, and been arrested on traffic related offenses twice." Here's a trailer for a video set in NYC that might make some people ill and upset:

Answering the question, "Do you believe the driving you feature in your DVDs is dangerous?", Rob Ferretti answers:

Quote Originally Posted by
      I believe there is an inherent risk to living on this planet. You could get struck by lightening if you walk outside your house in a storm. You could get struck by a stray bullet walking down the street. You could be a victim of a violent crime. You could get killed playing baseball, football, golf, soccer, etc. You can get hit by a train crossing the railroad tracks. You could die in a plane crash. All of these are possibilities. You can live your life in fear of what may happen or you can enjoy life and accept that something bad can happen at any moment, however unlikely those options are. Super Speeders represents trained drivers in super performance cars navigating through the world of everybody else.

Where as there is always a possibility of something bad happening on the road, fears would be much better directed at more prevalent dangers. Drunk driving, tired driving, distracted driving, poorly maintained vehicles, under-qualified drivers, vehicles being pushed beyond their limits (excessive speed of trucks, vans, buses, etc.) Mostly what you have to fear is poor judgment, most accidents are not the fault of the vehicle, they are a result of the driver who is not aware of their vehicles limitations or how to handle their vehicle in a specific situation.

Where it's easy to fear sports cars wizzing down the highways because they are exceeding the ridiculously low speed limits 99.99% of accidents are not a result of a driver who is focused on their surrounds and enjoying their car. Google it.

We asked Gotham Dream Cars about the investigation and whether Rob Ferretti truly believes that "the rules of the road Don't Apply," given that the investigation suggests that the Ferraris were traveling above the speed limit, a spokeeperson gave us a statement:

At approximately 7:30 am, Sunday, May 13th, two Gotham Dream Car employees drove two of our vehicles to be refueled and were involved in a three vehicle incident off a service road at the Meadowlands. This incident was off-site from our event and no customers were involved.

Unfortunately there was a fatality from a motorcycle rider involved in the incident. First and foremost, we offer our condolences to the family and friends of this individual.

The incident is under investigation, so we cannot comment any further until the investigation is complete and more details are available.

To clarify, Super Speeders and Gotham Dream Cars are two separate companies. Though they share a staff member, we can assure you that Gotham Dream Cars operates with different missions, values and procedures befitting a service-based rental firm as opposed to an entertainment-based website and content creator.
      Funeral services for Lenge's funeral were today; his wife and two daughters survive him.

Vehicles
      2008 9-3 2.0t
      05-17-2012 05:47 PM #2
      hope they get the book thrown at them.

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      05-17-2012 05:53 PM #3
      This week needed a new 20 pager after the BRZ thread.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 05:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      This week needed a new 20 pager after the BRZ thread.

At least there isn't any FRS/86/BRZ content.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-17-2012 05:58 PM #5
      two companies
      two missions
      same employees

sounds like a BS shield to me

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      05-17-2012 05:59 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      Of course not, they're far too slow to be considered "super speeders".

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-17-2012 05:59 PM #7
      that can't be good...

Vehicles
      Subaru OB XT, Previa LE S/C Alltrac
      05-17-2012 06:29 PM #8
      So why do NYers pride themselves on being giant *******s? The car and motorcycle scenes out there seem to be full of them.
      If you can't measure it, you can't understand it; if you can't understand it, you can't control it.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      00 Prelude SH, 08 CR-V AWD, 92 NSX Coupe
      05-17-2012 06:36 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Of course not, they're far too slow to be considered "super speeders".
      The question that came to mind for me though, can the brz even go fast enough to kill a person it hits?

10. 05-17-2012 06:37 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      The question that came to mind for me though, can the brz even go fast enough to kill a person it hits?
      Maybe if it had better tires and was on a super twisty canyon road.

11. Member
      05-17-2012 06:57 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      Only the driver of the BRZ could dead.

Vehicles
      '93 Audi 80 (B4)
      05-17-2012 06:59 PM #12
      I never understood how these people can pride themselves on spending so much money on high performance cars, then rather than spending a bit extra to drive them in a controlled environment like a race track they do this stupid **** on public roads.

City streets no less with tons of traffic, pedestrians, and so on.

Vehicles
      MkV R32, Focus Electric
      05-17-2012 07:04 PM #13
      These guys deserve to get pounded.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

05-17-2012 07:15 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Tuneman7 View Post
      I never understood how these people can pride themselves on spending so much money on high performance cars, then rather than spending a bit extra to drive them in a controlled environment like a race track they do this stupid **** on public roads.

City streets no less with tons of traffic, pedestrians, and so on.
      Because NYC.

You don't just own a sports exotic to go fast. You own it to go fast and be seen going fast. Can't get hot b*tches if they don't see you rolling.
      Last edited by 2.0T_Convert; 05-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Vehicles
      Trailblazer SS
      05-17-2012 07:23 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Because NYC.

You don't just own a sports exotic to go fast. You own it to go fast and be scene going fast. Can't get hot b*tches if they don't see you rolling.
      They are just gonna hate anyway, until they catch him riding dirty.
      LOL MPG
      IG: @geeofff
      XBL:DevilYellowLS1

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 07:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      So why do NYers pride themselves on being giant *******s? The car and motorcycle scenes out there seem to be full of them.
      Every car and cycle scene is full of them.

17. 05-17-2012 07:36 PM #17
      Well, if they were driving slow cars. . .
      "You'll have to answer to the Coca-Cola company."

Vehicles
      2002 Glx Wagon 2003 Tdi Wagon
      05-17-2012 07:39 PM #18
      Hope they all go to prison for a very long time.

19. Banned
      05-17-2012 07:48 PM #19
      Super Speeders represents trained drivers in super performance cars navigating through the world of everybody else.

Knowing how to mash the pedal in 3rd gear going 40mph to run to the 110 max speed in 3rd does not constitute "trained."

Any real "trained driver" (meaning pro racer, HPDE instructor, amateur racer--basically anyone with actual training) would never do the **** that is shown in those videos.

05-17-2012 08:03 PM #20
      i blame the LLC, america's lazy business practices, and the disturbingly low cost of entry to the party. most companies created in america are merely paper/legal constructs. loans go to what are essentially shell entities. property and title transactions are fronted by "third parties" (and fourth, and fifth, and sixth -- often they are actually named just that). the idea that you can shield your personal accountability, repeatedly start from zero, or utilize debt as collateral for "investment/capital" means there are an awful lot of people out there who are not afraid to screw up on your dime. or corpse.

i wrote about the absurdity of "exclusive cars" being whored out on groupon by shade tree meatheads in the other thread. i doubt many discerning enthusiasts were impressed by this crew's high mile sluts. but this allowance we make at the alter of holy business for nobody mcstartuppants to go out and let 'er rip without consequence or accountability is one of the things that is really wrong in america. we protect the wrong people. whether gotham survives this is anyone's guess, but plenty of companies have survived far worse. this was, after all, an accident.

the punishment almost never fits the crime when you are talking about "entrepreneurs" who gamble with the livelihoods of others. at least these guys were trying to make people happy before the wheels fell off.

Vehicles
      1998 VW VR6 GTI (owned) 2000 Audi A6 2.7T (ownde), 1996 Miata (current)
      05-17-2012 08:21 PM #21
      I'll just leave this here. Same company.

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      05-17-2012 08:33 PM #22
      Crazy.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2001 B5 A4qm
      05-17-2012 08:41 PM #23
      He crashed so his defense is irrelevant but I agree with his statement about speeding.

05-17-2012 08:56 PM #24
      Assbags.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      05-17-2012 08:58 PM #25
      We asked Gotham Dream Cars about the investigation and whether Rob Ferretti truly believes that "the rules of the road Don't Apply," given that the investigation suggests that the Ferraris were traveling above the speed limit, a spokeeperson gave us a statement:

At approximately 7:30 am, Sunday, May 13th, two Gotham Dream Car employees drove two of our vehicles to be refueled and were involved in a three vehicle incident off a service road at the Meadowlands. This incident was off-site from our event and no customers were involved.

Unfortunately there was a fatality from a motorcycle rider involved in the incident. First and foremost, we offer our condolences to the family and friends of this individual.

The incident is under investigation, so we cannot comment any further until the investigation is complete and more details are available.

To clarify, Super Speeders and Gotham Dream Cars are two separate companies. Though they share a staff member, we can assure you that Gotham Dream Cars operates with different missions, values and procedures befitting a service-based rental firm as opposed to an entertainment-based website and content creator.
      Source: http://gothamist.com/2012/05/17/vide...tal_ferrar.php
      BULLSHAT!! Anyone worth their investigative salt could spend less than a day's work searching and proving the same cars were used for both companies. Which would completely throw this out the window legally and intertwine both companies and their behaviors as such and basically screw them for life. Which seems fitting if what's been presented so far is remotely fact. Those videos are going to get admitted when the cars/companies are shown to be virtually one entity and that'll be all she wrote on that. Courtrooms abhor douchebags who (seem to) have money and flaunt it.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

Vehicles
      C55 AMG sans "man pedal" after 19+ years of VWs
      05-17-2012 09:01 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Eh, while I'm no fan of either coast, I've found this to be true of almost every scene. Rarely don't douchebags end up taking it over.
      A list of mods, all cars ever owned and something cribbed from a book, song and/or movie were all just here. Sorry you missed out on my unique, snowflake-like individuality.

Click http://i.imgur.com/5wiUNUX.jpg for a Golden Era Honda wall-collage lovingly made by some dork's grammy. I'm kidding. Said dork did it himself.

Vehicles
      White car with an obnoxious wing on the back
      05-17-2012 09:07 PM #27
      I've seen these guys before when they documented the bull run (surprisingly, also filled with huge tools).

It is like they are a bunch of 12 year olds with money.

05-17-2012 09:16 PM #28
      I guess I'll be "that" guy and admit if I won $600 million tomorrow you can bet I'm buying a supercar or two and flaunting myself all over the place. If anyone hates I'll just give a wicked smile and toss a couple bills at them making some "oh you poor" remark.

Ok I might not really be that big of an assh*le but I would rip all over in a 500+ hp car.

Vehicles
      sold em
      05-17-2012 09:16 PM #29
      who's driving the dreambus?

Vehicles
      Something I bought at Weymouth Honda
      05-17-2012 09:21 PM #30
      I believe there is an inherent risk to living on this planet. You could get struck by lightening if you walk outside your house in a storm. You could get struck by a stray bullet walking down the street. You could be a victim of a violent crime. You could get killed playing baseball, football, golf, soccer, etc. You can get hit by a train crossing the railroad tracks. You could die in a plane crash. All of these are possibilities. You can live your life in fear of what may happen or you can enjoy life and accept that something bad can happen at any moment, however unlikely those options are. Super Speeders represents trained drivers in super performance cars navigating through the world of everybody else.

Where as there is always a possibility of something bad happening on the road, fears would be much better directed at more prevalent dangers. Drunk driving, tired driving, distracted driving, poorly maintained vehicles, under-qualified drivers, vehicles being pushed beyond their limits (excessive speed of trucks, vans, buses, etc.) Mostly what you have to fear is poor judgment, most accidents are not the fault of the vehicle, they are a result of the driver who is not aware of their vehicles limitations or how to handle their vehicle in a specific situation.

Where it's easy to fear sports cars wizzing down the highways because they are exceeding the ridiculously low speed limits 99.99% of accidents are not a result of a driver who is focused on their surrounds and enjoying their car. Google it.
      Okay, so we already have all the risks you stated... so that means its okay for you guys to add even more risks for everybody else? I've watched a few of the super-speeders videos and the guys in them are really out of it. They get pulled over for speeding, then get pulled over 7 more times on the same stretch of highway by the same 3 cops. Then they think it's a joke. How that Ferretti guy is allowed to have his license after having over 100 traffic citations is beyond me. I guess if you have enough money anything is possible, as he's clearly loaded.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      05-17-2012 09:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      I guess I'll be "that" guy and admit if I won $600 million tomorrow you can bet I'm buying a supercar or two and flaunting myself all over the place. If anyone hates I'll just give a wicked smile and toss a couple bills at them making some "oh you poor" remark.

Ok I might not really be that big of an assh*le but I would rip all over in a 500+ hp car.
      I was going to then I saw you're from CT. Explains a lot.

05-17-2012 09:47 PM #32
      I was going to then I saw you're from CT. Explains a lot.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-17-2012 09:50 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      i blame the LLC, america's lazy business practices, and the disturbingly low cost of entry to the party. most companies created in america are merely paper/legal constructs. loans go to what are essentially shell entities. property and title transactions are fronted by "third parties" (and fourth, and fifth, and sixth -- often they are actually named just that). the idea that you can shield your personal accountability, repeatedly start from zero, or utilize debt as collateral for "investment/capital" means there are an awful lot of people out there who are not afraid to screw up on your dime. or corpse.

1. You're wrong.
      2. Look up something called "piercing the corporate veil."
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

34. 05-17-2012 10:52 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      LLC's do not really protect you.

Vehicles
      '91 Jetta GLI, '68 Beetle 'vert, '79 Cutlass Supreme
      05-17-2012 11:33 PM #35
      Yeah, he'll be made an example of and spend time in prison. A local kid got 2 years for manslaughter after the person he was racing mis-shifted, crashed, and killed himself and his girlfriend. What nailed him was the fact that he had a prior racing charge, and was busted driving w/o a license before his court date. Judges don't take kindly to people who are cocky and don't learn their lessons, and they make examples of them. Plus all of the evidence is right there for them on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast