VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Canoe on my coupe

928 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Snarkle 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying a canoe and comes with two roof things to grip onto the edges of the car roof. Was wondering before I buy if anyone has ever carried a canoe and if the roof edges will be big enough. I have an 83 coupe.

#2 ·
roof edges..you are reffering to the gutters correct?

I have seen these sorta gutter grabbing tie downs before. They are probably sufficient...but as a canoe owner I would feel much more secure if my canoe was strapped to a proper rack Yakima/Tuele ect. If you go with the pad/strap option just be very carefull and double, triple check. :thumbup:
Check every time you stop for fuel or whatnot so you familiarize yourself with the hold down system.

#4 · (Edited)
Absolutely not! Yak and thule both mount to older cars like ours with a clasping action that sits in gutter and grabs and pulls up from under gutter. Very strong and minimal effect on paint and gutter. Both brands of racks sell a fitting (will be a kit with 4 guwale brackets) that slides onto rack crossbar and snugs up to side of canoe gunwale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.