Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    View Poll Results: KW Street Comfort Coilovers vs H&R Street Performance Coilovers

    Voters
    6. You may not vote on this poll
    • H&R Street Performance Coilovers

      2 33.33%
    • KW Street Comfort Coilovers

      4 66.67%
    Results 1 to 25 of 25

    Thread: H&R Street Performance vs KW Street Comfort Coilover thread

    1. 05-18-2012 01:42 PM #1
      So I think it is time to drop the Passat. H&R Street Performance Coilovers vs KW Street Comfort Coilovers?

      Right now H&R is on back order, but KW is in stock. KW is about $300 more and free shipping. I am looking to put coilovers on because I was the car to be more responsive and handle better but I don't want to get shaken up all day long. I have a tow hitch so I am not looking to drop it on the floor either. I drive 80 miles every day and I have already done one mod that didn't get the wife approval and it is starting to lose my approval so I don't want to add another one to that one. Any help would be greatly appreciated and in the end I will post photos once I actually install it.

      Below is a little about each one.

      H&R Street Performance Coilover Kit

      Unrivaled comfort and performance. Average lowering of 1.25"-2.0"F 1.25"-2.5"R
      H&R suspension components are synonymous with quality. Since the inception of H&R in the late 1970s, they have been making some of the highest quality suspension components available. With a need for an improved suspension in the automotive aftermarket, H&R essentially created the modern-day coilover that we are all used to. Not only concentrated on “stance,” H&R considered high quality materials and ride comfort extremely important.

      Bring some of that German engineering to your vehicle with a set of H&R street performance coilovers. With the adjustability of ride height, the fully threaded, custom valved suspension system will offer high performance with superb ride comfort and handling. Progressive rate springs both front and rear assure that no matter what height you have your vehicle set at, your ride will be great. By lowering the vehicle's center of gravity, less body roll will be experienced during hard cornering with a more balanced vehicle weight.

      H&R has dedicated almost four decades to the suspension industry and it definitely shines through in the end product. Their teams of engineers and designers have consistently produced products obtaining the coveted TUV & ISO certification for safety and quality.

      100% German made, the line of H&R coilovers is the original aftermarket suspension, but still one of the best.


      VS

      KW street comfort – No more hard times!

      Your sport suspension kit is too hard for you? Do you want a sportive,dynamic suspension with remaining comfort? With street comfort suspension KW offers you the solution, you can create that sportive look while keeping as much comfort as possible. Long trips on the highway will be a pleasure; fun can be had on county roads.


      KW street comfort – The most individual sport suspension with maximum comfort

      With the individual height adjustable KW street comfort coilover kit a lowering of 10-40 mm can be realised, depending on the vehicle. This way the customer has the flexibility to improve the look, with consideration of bigger wheels and tyres. At the same time the lowering has a positive effect on the driving dynamics and road contact. With discreet but effective lowering more spring travel will be left to combine a comfortable spring with harmonic damper, this way the best driving comfort is guaranteed. With this product KW offers the perfect compromise of driving dynamic and driving comfort.
      •Maximum driving comfort for a perfect performance and more driving pleasure
      •Guarantees more comfort, flexibility and sportive as regular OE sport suspensions
      •Comfortable adjustment
      •Better handling due to less body roll
      •With TÜV tested adjustment range for a individual lowering of 10 to 40 mm (.39 inch-1.5 inch)
      •Trapezoid thread for a easy height adjustability
      •High quality damper components for a long durability
      •Adjustable rebound damping
      •Complete delivery content inclusive detailed documentation for a easy use
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    2. 05-18-2012 02:45 PM #2
      Anyone know about camber kits or adjustments, and if that is needed with either of these set ups?
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    3. Member cheapa55TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2011
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      05-18-2012 06:48 PM #3
      I'm biased towards KW since I have the V3 installed in my car. I still want to lower it more but haven't had time. I'm pretty sure you don't have to adjust camber and I'm not even sure if you can (I don't know for sure).

    4. 05-18-2012 07:01 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by cheapa55TDI View Post
      I'm biased towards KW since I have the V3 installed in my car. I still want to lower it more but haven't had time. I'm pretty sure you don't have to adjust camber and I'm not even sure if you can (I don't know for sure).
      Can you comment on the ride quality? even if just stock to KW, have you messed with any of the settings and how low did you take it?
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    5. Member cheapa55TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2011
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      05-18-2012 07:06 PM #5
      I've done 0 adjustments so far. The ride quality was one reason I didn't want to buy the Passat. Coming from 2 BMWs with sports suspension, I really didn't want to give that up. That's the main reason I got the V3. I wanted to be able to adjust to my liking. Fortunately after the install the ride quality was excellent, not too bumpy but much tighter than stock. I think this is as close to sports suspension on a bmw that I was able to get. But I haven't tried adjusting anything. Maybe this summer if I have time, I'll lower it another 1/4-1/2". Anyways, I couldn't be happier. I think everyone who has lowered their Passat here with any suspension, springs or coilovers, have been happy with it. So I want to say you can't go wrong with either one.

    6. 05-18-2012 07:10 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by coffeemade View Post
      So I think it is time to drop the Passat. H&R Street Performance Coilovers vs KW Street Comfort Coilovers?

      Right now H&R is on back order, but KW is in stock. KW is about $300 more and free shipping. I am looking to put coilovers on because I was the car to be more responsive and handle better but I don't want to get shaken up all day long. I have a tow hitch so I am not looking to drop it on the floor either. I drive 80 miles every day and I have already done one mod that didn't get the wife approval and it is starting to lose my approval so I don't want to add another one to that one. Any help would be greatly appreciated and in the end I will post photos once I actually install it.

      Below is a little about each one.

      H&R Street Performance Coilover Kit

      Unrivaled comfort and performance. Average lowering of 1.25"-2.0"F 1.25"-2.5"R
      H&R suspension components are synonymous with quality. Since the inception of H&R in the late 1970s, they have been making some of the highest quality suspension components available. With a need for an improved suspension in the automotive aftermarket, H&R essentially created the modern-day coilover that we are all used to. Not only concentrated on “stance,” H&R considered high quality materials and ride comfort extremely important.

      Bring some of that German engineering to your vehicle with a set of H&R street performance coilovers. With the adjustability of ride height, the fully threaded, custom valved suspension system will offer high performance with superb ride comfort and handling. Progressive rate springs both front and rear assure that no matter what height you have your vehicle set at, your ride will be great. By lowering the vehicle's center of gravity, less body roll will be experienced during hard cornering with a more balanced vehicle weight.

      H&R has dedicated almost four decades to the suspension industry and it definitely shines through in the end product. Their teams of engineers and designers have consistently produced products obtaining the coveted TUV & ISO certification for safety and quality.

      100% German made, the line of H&R coilovers is the original aftermarket suspension, but still one of the best.


      VS

      KW street comfort – No more hard times!

      Your sport suspension kit is too hard for you? Do you want a sportive,dynamic suspension with remaining comfort? With street comfort suspension KW offers you the solution, you can create that sportive look while keeping as much comfort as possible. Long trips on the highway will be a pleasure; fun can be had on county roads.


      KW street comfort – The most individual sport suspension with maximum comfort

      With the individual height adjustable KW street comfort coilover kit a lowering of 10-40 mm can be realised, depending on the vehicle. This way the customer has the flexibility to improve the look, with consideration of bigger wheels and tyres. At the same time the lowering has a positive effect on the driving dynamics and road contact. With discreet but effective lowering more spring travel will be left to combine a comfortable spring with harmonic damper, this way the best driving comfort is guaranteed. With this product KW offers the perfect compromise of driving dynamic and driving comfort.
      •Maximum driving comfort for a perfect performance and more driving pleasure
      •Guarantees more comfort, flexibility and sportive as regular OE sport suspensions
      •Comfortable adjustment
      •Better handling due to less body roll
      •With TÜV tested adjustment range for a individual lowering of 10 to 40 mm (.39 inch-1.5 inch)
      •Trapezoid thread for a easy height adjustability
      •High quality damper components for a long durability
      •Adjustable rebound damping
      •Complete delivery content inclusive detailed documentation for a easy use
      Did you ever get the front swaybar installed and if so what did it do for the handling?

    7. 05-18-2012 07:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by DGC View Post
      Did you ever get the front swaybar installed and if so what did it do for the handling?
      Nope still haven't had time. In the next couple weeks I plan to do the coils and the front sway bar.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    8. 05-19-2012 11:36 AM #8
      Have the KW SC coilovers on my 20th GTi and can say the product delivers as marketed.

    9. 05-19-2012 12:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Imola Yellow GTi View Post
      Have the KW SC coilovers on my 20th GTi and can say the product delivers as marketed.
      I think I am going to go with KW but I am not sure KW SC or KW V3?
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2012
      Location
      San Jose
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-19-2012 12:55 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by coffeemade View Post
      I am looking to put coilovers on because I was the car to be more responsive and handle better but I don't want to get shaken up all day long. I have a tow hitch so I am not looking to drop it on the floor either

      Question: is this a reason for getting coilovers vs. springs? I've only done some research on this, but the vast majority of people who get coilovers installed never adjust them and you typically need re-alignment done if you do. Just wanted to throw it out there if springs would possibly do for your needs.

    11. Member cheapa55TDI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2011
      Posts
      622
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE
      05-19-2012 12:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by coffeemade View Post
      I think I am going to go with KW but I am not sure KW SC or KW V3?
      I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

    12. 05-19-2012 01:02 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Question: is this a reason for getting coilovers vs. springs? I've only done some research on this, but the vast majority of people who get coilovers installed never adjust them and you typically need re-alignment done if you do. Just wanted to throw it out there if springs would possibly do for your needs.
      Springs are not an option for me because I am sure the tow hitch would scrap. I remember the last set of coilovers I purchased and you are right, I installed them and messed with them right after but never again. While in my mind I think I want to adjust them the reality is during the first week I would adjust them, but after that....I bet I will never touch it as long as they are smooth and comfortable. Just debating if $300 is worth my peace of mind to make sure I got the best product I could for my B7.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2006
      Posts
      190
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI
      05-19-2012 03:17 PM #13
      You can also use H&R 36258-1 kit which is the Street Performance SS with damping adjustment on stainless shcok bodies, thats what I just installed on my car, so far so good, there is a noticable difference, much firmer than stock but not to the point of being annoying, just got them on last night so I need more time behind the wheel

    14. 05-20-2012 09:06 PM #14
      Going to order KW Street Comfort because I am not looking for a drastic drop but I want it to ride better. I kept hearing over the past few days KW SC's are really comfortable and supportive.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      160
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SE
      05-21-2012 01:41 PM #15
      do they have KW for the B7 yet? or are you gonna order for a dif year/make/model?

    16. 05-21-2012 01:50 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by mtoger View Post
      do they have KW for the B7 yet? or are you gonna order for a dif year/make/model?
      KW Suspension makes them for 2012 Passat's. At this point I am just waiting to hear back from a company that says their price on the KW's can't be beat. I will update once I find out.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 2012
      Location
      San Jose
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SEL 3.6 // 2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT
      05-26-2012 01:56 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by coffeemade View Post
      KW Suspension makes them for 2012 Passat's. At this point I am just waiting to hear back from a company that says their price on the KW's can't be beat. I will update once I find out.
      Any word?

    18. 05-26-2012 07:07 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by writeb View Post
      Any word?
      Ordered KW Street Comfort Coilovers from Redline and they do have the best deal no question, but you must call the to get that deal. Now just waiting on shipping confirmation
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2012
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      160
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat V6 SE
      05-29-2012 02:10 PM #19
      whats the part number for the KW coilovers?

    20. 05-29-2012 02:59 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mtoger View Post
      whats the part number for the KW coilovers?
      2012 VW Passat TDI ( I don't think motor matters) KW Street Comfort Coilovers part number is 18080110

      I am still waiting on a shipping update for mine...
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    21. 06-13-2012 09:16 PM #21
      Got the KW Street Comfort Coilovers and H&R Front sway bar installed today. Set the dampers to 9 as recommended in the installation guide. The front is set to the lowest thread and the rear is installed WITHOUT the coilover adjustment to obtain the most drop which wasn't much from stock. This coilover set up is awesome, very responsive but not bouncy. I was smiling all the down the road because this car keeps getting closer and closer to my GTI.


      This is my Google Plus Gallery for the Coilover and front sway bar install.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    22. 06-13-2012 10:33 PM #22
      I got the H&R Coilovers on my B7 2.5 SE and couldn't be happier. They ride a little bit firmer than stock with zero bounce while being on the lowest setting. Anyone in Northern NJ who wants to try to feel the setup for themselves PM me and I'll take you for a ride. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

    23. 06-14-2012 06:40 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by 2012psst View Post
      I got the H&R Coilovers on my B7 2.5 SE and couldn't be happier. They ride a little bit firmer than stock with zero bounce while being on the lowest setting. Anyone in Northern NJ who wants to try to feel the setup for themselves PM me and I'll take you for a ride. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
      No photo think someone is lying j/k

      Waiting on pictures
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    24. Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 16th, 2011
      Location
      Raleigh, NC
      Posts
      44
      Vehicles
      2012 tdi se 6m, 2012 tdi se dsg
      06-14-2012 08:48 AM #24
      Were there any major install issues? I remember you mentioning having to remove the subframe for the front swaybar........the car looks just right. Any tire rubbing on bumps or potholes? Does ride quality suffer much?

    25. 06-14-2012 10:23 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by byrdman27615 View Post
      Were there any major install issues? I remember you mentioning having to remove the subframe for the front swaybar........the car looks just right. Any tire rubbing on bumps or potholes? Does ride quality suffer much?
      Well during the install we had it reversed on making it as low as possible, so the first time we set it down it was as high as it could be and extremely stiff but after lowering the front all the way down and removing the spring perches in the rear it was all good. Unless you have done a suspension install on the ground before or at home, I wouldn't attempt as having a real lift it still took about over 4 hours not including the front sway bar and alignment. It was a great time to install the front sway bar as everything was off and out of the way except for the sub frame and it would need an alignment since the sub frame would have to be moved.

      No rubbing at all, I try not to hit potholes. The ride quality is wonderful, it's like my 2007 GTI but even a tiny bit more responsive. My wife likes it a lot.

      Totally install took about 6-7 hours using a lift. This also includes the time it took to align the car, which due to the bigger sway bar made the technician have to lower the subframe to access a few of the bolts. I will post up alignment specs to show that I am in the green and for the first time since I owned this car it doesn't drift or track to one direction or another. It drives low straight and really a dream to drive now.

      This is the way the car should've been from stock.
      Current: 2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium is used for Off-Road Use Only
      Previous: '07 VW GTI 2.0T, '07 BMW K1200LT, '00 VW Golf 1.8T (4DRGTI), '92 GTI 2.0 16V, '04(2) Nissan Altima, '83 Rabbit GTI, '85 Golf GTI, '86 cabrio, '91 GTI 2.0 16V, '93 Passat VR6 and a couple others that I won't mention.
      My 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium Fuelly Record

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •