Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shift Linkage

1. 05-19-2012 08:04 PM #1
      Would anybody know a by-pass around adjusting my shift linkage on my 2.0 without using shift linkage tool, that goes on the shifter. ?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Golf GL
      05-19-2012 08:14 PM #2
      I've heard you can use a cassette tape instead of the actual tool. Not sure how dialed in you can actually make these shifters anyway. Once my linkage broke and I wired it back together on the side of the highway... just had my passenger hold the stick about where it should be. Drove it like that for a few thousand miles like that. There was basically no difference at all.

Someone will probably tell you to do it properly with the tool and a whole refurb job to your shifter and then you are basically Senna.

All I got.

3. 05-19-2012 09:59 PM #3
      vr.
      Shove the car into first gear. Start the car and confirm that it is in first gear. After first gear is confirmed, loosen the bolt on the gate selector lever (left/right movement cable.) Have someone get in the car and hold the shifter in 1st position hardcore, but not so hard they break it, just hard enough to combat any efforts you put on it. Now tighten the bolt on the gate selector cable/lever. You are aligned enough to drive. You can, from there, make small adjustments either way and test things out. Do as much as you want to. As long as you don't mess with the gear selector cable, you'll not cause any trans damage.
      Same process/concept different looking parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards