Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: AC recharge advice please!! (Autozone recharge kit) 07 passat wagon fsi

1. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Passatwagon 2.0t (Out to pasture 02 Jetta, 89 jetta, 85 golf)
      05-20-2012 02:41 PM #1
      I've checked all fuses, checked all cooling fans are functioning(at least at low speed I assume/are these two speed fans?), and have visually checked for ac leaks, all seems fine however my ac crapped out (stopped blowing cold).

When I turn (ON) the ac- at idle I can hear the compressor or engine laboring more than when the ac is off.

Is this proof the compressor is working and needs only a recharge? If so, any advice on a quick recharge kit before going to the mechanic?

Yes, the compressor is the original, date says 07'.

thanks for helping!
      Last edited by turbopoweredturtle; 05-20-2012 at 02:55 PM.

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat
      05-20-2012 04:33 PM #2
      $2? spent to see if it just needs recharging is worth it. If you connect and find the pressure to be in the red zone from the start, it's likely a failed compressor. If it's on the low side, charge the system and see what happens. Similar happened to me last Sunday. The comp went out right while I was standing there charging the system. Luckily it's covered under CPO. It's now been a week and they have ordered a second evaporator since they damaged the original, the first shipped in was damaged also.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2012 09:26 PM #3
      yeah, i figure 20-30 bucks to attempt a recharge is worth it..

if i read your comment wrong- "$2? to check if the compressor is crap." is there a cheap gauge to measure???

the diy ac kits seem to have a press. gauge included

thanks, we'll see!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06 Passat
      05-20-2012 11:06 PM #4
      The ? was intended to indicate twenty "something."

5. 05-21-2012 11:45 PM #5
      I would love to see a how to on this. I need to recharge mine a little but am afraid to do it.
      Thanks

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2012 12:10 PM #6
      will post back with results....

7. 05-23-2012 11:39 PM #7
      Thanks. I would love to tackle this one this weekend of possible

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T
      05-24-2012 01:17 AM #8
      I have an 06 passat and the original ac compressor went out on me around 102k miles. I'm now at 125k. Usually what happens is the actual clutch on the ac compressor tends to not catch or kick in. It doesn't heard to give it a recharge try, but they do sell ac compressors for our cars on the internet which will be cheaper to order than having the dealer do it. Any mechanic can put the compressor on. I actually bought a non oem one and it works great. good luck

9. Member
      Vehicles
      05-24-2012 09:07 PM #9
      heres what I discovered... After connecting to the ac low pressure side coupling to get a psi reading on the system the gauge maxed past 80 psi.. i tried , following instructions but it would seem that no refrigerant would flow into the system.

So what I believe happened is the system was previously over pressurized and may have caused the ac to fail, not needing a recharge..

Any experts opinion appreciated.

Vehicles
      06 Passat 2.0T, 04 Ford F150 Heritage
      05-26-2012 03:33 PM #10
      Yeah, the same thing happened to me. I was going to recharge the system because it's a little cold, but it doesn't do much on a 100 degree day. I hooked up the recharge kit and it was already in the red. So, if my a/c is kind of cold, my compressor is still good?
      White 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T Auto. Current Mods- 19x8.5 32et Tenzo Concept 9 wheels. JOM Black Badgeless Grille. Nite Shades Tail Lights. Debadged. 30% Tint. Black Painted Roof. Smoked Front Turn Signals. DDM 6K Hids. ECS Billet Oil Filter Housing. Future Mods- Bags (Accuair eLevel). New Wheels (Bored). Color Matched Trim (Hate Chrome).

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-27-2012 10:37 AM #11
      Yeah, thats interesting, still a bit cold but pressure gauge maxed out on you... and you cant recharge?

wondering (IF) there is a procedure from vw on this guage reading etc. vs what the can of regrigerant says from autozone..

probably most likely for my situation, I have to bite the bullet on a new compressor, but wondering what else to purchase.. Thinking to do the repairs, and have a vw guy do the recharge, provided he doesn't use this autozone can of crap..

anyone interested in the refrigerant, never used, only checked pressure with, 20 bones shipped.

Hah, paid 36.