Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 26 to 50 of 97

    Thread: my gt28rs gli build

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 11:00 AM #26
      the tune is custom so I can go either way, prob gunna go with the 2.75 vr as someone local has one for cheap and I also have 2.75 itanke piping already as well, just need to get a filter thanks!!!

      Thinking AFE filter, any objections or suggestions?
      Last edited by jagt21VR6; 05-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.

    2. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,137
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      05-23-2012 11:17 AM #27
      A transition isn't ideal, but it will work. Since you won't be running over 22psi, you might not need a MAF, I'd talk to your tuner about this specifically to see what MAF the tune is meant for. I don't know what is an AFE filter is specifically, any filter is usually fine as long as it won't rust. I prefer K&N as it's easy to use just don't over oil it like the instructions state, that's when people run into problems. I'd run a stock airbox as well, unless you want the turbo whistle noise. You can get them for cheap, and you'd only need the top portion to adapt to a vr6 housing.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 11:25 AM #28
      Taylor said he prefers to tune with the maf, he said he can do either, but likes the maf tunes better so I am taking his word for it, good deal on the filter I will order that up asap, and as far as the air box, it isnt really needed, and for now I want to hear that whine, if it gets to be too much I can def change it up if need be...thanks val!!!

    4. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 03:29 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by jagt21VR6 View Post
      Taylor said he prefers to tune with the maf, he said he can do either, but likes the maf tunes better so I am taking his word for it, good deal on the filter I will order that up asap, and as far as the air box, it isnt really needed, and for now I want to hear that whine, if it gets to be too much I can def change it up if need be...thanks val!!!
      If you don't own a filter for it yet I'd go for a velocity stack setup off the MAF...

      http://www.bpi-us.com/products.php

      Quote Originally Posted by cincyTT
      ...but you'll need to get a 2.75->3" silicone coupler off the velocity stack

      ...Honestly, I'd say go find yourself a 3" maf housing, put the factory sensor in it and call it a day. A better flowing intake is always a win. Do it right, do it once.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 03:41 PM #30
      yes that sure does look mighty nice, and I do agree the 3" would be the best way to, my buddy here helping me has a vr for sure he may also have a tt225 maf if I am in luck...and this coupler/velocity stack and filter just come right off the maf huh? will look into it and see what I can do, thanks for your input grog!

      a velocity stack setup is better flowing then a old fashioned cone on a tube ?? I assume but want to make sure its worth the money...

      also I need to make sure there is actually room for that huge looking thing considering the battery reolcation is gettin gput on the back burner for now...

      These are the specs of the filter,
      Part RF-1048 Product Specifications
      Product Style: Round Tapered Universal Air Filter
      Base Outside Diameter: 7.5 in (191 mm)
      Flange Inside Diameter: 6 in (152 mm)
      Flange Length: 0.625 in (16 mm)
      Flange Type: Centered
      Height: 6 in (152 mm)
      Top Outside Diameter: 4.5 in (114 mm)
      Top Style: Metal
      Top Material/Finish: Chrome
      Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
      Flanges: 1
      Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.27 oz (38 ml)
      Weight: 1.4 lb (0.6 kg)
      Product Box Length: 8.25 in (210 mm)
      Product Box Width: 8.25 in (210 mm)
      Product Box Height: 8.5 in (216 mm)

      I think if its coming right off the maf then theres probably room before the battery...
      Last edited by jagt21VR6; 05-23-2012 at 03:49 PM.

    6. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 03:47 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by jagt21VR6 View Post
      yes that sure does look mighty nice, and I do agree the 3" would be the best way to, my buddy here helping me has a vr for sure he may also have a tt225 maf if I am in luck...and this coupler/velocity stack and filter just come right off the maf huh? will look into it and see what I can do, thanks for your input grog!

      a velocity stack setup is better flowing then a old fashioned cone on a tube ?? I assume but want to make sure its worth the money...
      Yep. Go look at 42 draft designs. They have a fantastic velocity stack intake. It's custom for the TT225, but is a great example of what a velocity stack can be.

      But yes, it couples to your MAF with a short piece of silicone. The velocity stack will help increase the amount of air that gets into your engine.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 03:51 PM #32
      wow that thing would be perfect hahaha too bad its like $330! Especially since I would be running it right off a tt maf...gunna have to stick with the silicone couplres version for $100, good read though...thanks for your input a lot man!

    8. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 03:57 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by jagt21VR6 View Post
      wow that thing would be perfect hahaha too bad its like $330! Especially since I would be running it right off a tt maf...gunna have to stick with the silicone couplres version for $100, good read though...thanks for your input a lot man!
      The BPi will work great. The 42dd is a great setup if you own a tt225. They made all the shrouding and everything fit the tt225 perfectly. If all you want is the stack there's no reason to get the 42dd kit.

      But I would seriously think about going to a 3" MAF instead of the 2.75". Turbos are little strumpets for gobbling as much air as they can get.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 04:03 PM #34
      yea I am leaning towards it for sure at this point thanks to your persuasion! The TT 225 maf is 3" or am I wrong? I know the vr is 2.75...

    10. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 04:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by jagt21VR6 View Post
      yea I am leaning towards it for sure at this point thanks to your persuasion! The TT 225 maf is 3" or am I wrong? I know the vr is 2.75...
      I'm not 100% sure, sorry.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    11. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 04:19 PM #36
      You should post that up in this thread...

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=stack
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 04:30 PM #37
      done, thanks pal, seems like the way to go, I am sure someone will tell me otherwise if we are wrong, hahaha

    13. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,137
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      05-23-2012 04:37 PM #38
      Sounds like you may be confusing ID and OD

      1.8T MAF = 2.75" OD
      VR6 MAF = 3" OD

      1.8T MAF = 2.5'' ID
      VR6 MAF = 2.75'' ID

      1.8T MAF with 2.75" OD = 70mm and ID = 60mm.

      TT225 MAF housing is 3" or 76mm outside and 70mm inside like the VR6
      TT180 MAF is like a regular 1.8T

      I have no idea about longitudal motors, I never measured AEB/ATW etc and there is a difference between the sensors for sure.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 04:44 PM #39
      ahh so the 225 maf and vr maf are the same insinde diameter of 2.75", so really I would need one of those 3" metal maf housings or an S4 housing...the vr and the tt 225 maf are both 2.75...

    15. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 04:45 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      Sounds like you may be confusing ID and OD

      1.8T MAF = 2.75" OD
      VR6 MAF = 3" OD

      1.8T MAF = 2.5'' ID
      VR6 MAF = 2.75'' ID

      1.8T MAF with 2.75" OD = 70mm and ID = 60mm.

      TT225 MAF housing is 3" or 76mm outside and 70mm inside like the VR6
      TT180 MAF is like a regular 1.8T

      I have no idea about longitudal motors, I never measured AEB/ATW etc and there is a difference between the sensors for sure.
      MAF Housing
      Code:
      MAF		OD		ID
      1.8t		2.75" (70mm)	2.5" (64mm)
      VR6 (mk4)	3" (76mm)	2.75" (70mm)
      TT225		3" (76mm)	2.75" (70mm)
      S4 (b5)		3.25" (82.55mm)	3" (76mm)
      Last edited by groggory; 05-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 04:49 PM #41
      so are there oem 3" inside diamater MAFs like an s4? I am sure thats not easy to find if so, is my best bet to go with a billet 3" maf housing then? And if the outside diameter is larger then 3" then I will need a reduced coupler like a 3.25"--->3"? or will a straight 3" coupler work still?

    17. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 04:53 PM #42
      What's the ID and OD of your intake plumbing?

      There's some confusion going on here.
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    18. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,137
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      05-23-2012 05:06 PM #43
      Yes, I mistyped the 64mm.

      But yeah, an S4 has 3.25" OD and 3" ID.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 05:44 PM #44
      Currently its 2.75, but sounds like I should run 3 "...

    20. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 05:46 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by jagt21VR6 View Post
      Currently its 2.75, but sounds like I should run 3 "...
      2.75" OD right?
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    21. Member 18T_BT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 15th, 2005
      Location
      Silver Spring, MD
      Posts
      11,137
      Vehicles
      02 1.8T JETTA (SOLD) & 00 TTQ (SOLD) '90 C2 964 (CURRENT)
      05-23-2012 06:06 PM #46
      I still suggest:

      Quote Originally Posted by 18T_BT View Post
      I'd talk to your tuner about this specifically to see what MAF the tune is meant for.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2nd, 2005
      Location
      the burgh
      Posts
      1,771
      Vehicles
      04.5 blue lagoon gli, 1976 bmw 2002, audi TT(project)
      05-23-2012 07:18 PM #47
      Yea I'm asking him now what he suggests, will let ya know!

      Ok, gunna run the vr maf, which is 3" od, coupler and short 3" od pipe to the bpi velocity stack which is also 3"od. Sounds good now?
      Last edited by jagt21VR6; 05-23-2012 at 08:48 PM.

    23. 05-23-2012 09:32 PM #48
      You will love that turbo! I do agree with the other posters "do rods" this turbo hits really hard on torque spike! That's why the low end and mid range on the disco are phenomenal!!!
      01' BT Jetta
      14' Audi Q5 TDi
      14' JSW TDi

    24. Moderator groggory's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 21st, 2003
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      13,171
      Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI 1.8 BT
      05-23-2012 09:40 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by EF9Si View Post
      You will love that turbo! I do agree with the other posters "do rods" this turbo hits really hard on torque spike! That's why the low end and mid range on the disco are phenomenal!!!
      I had a GT2560 (APR stg3) for awhile and had a lot of fun. Spooled up super quick. Ran out of steam I'd say in the high 5k RPM's and was out of breath completely by 6500.

      Now I have a GT2871 and it has so much torque that it has broken part after part on my car....lol...which is a good thing in my book. Ripped my inner axle hub out while rolling onto an on-ramp hard (thank you LSD for hooking up). Destroyed 2 or 3 engine and transmission mounts (034 street and track density). Destroyed a couple dog bone inserts. Run to the bleeding edge of the APR drop in pump. The car is super crazy fun with this turbo when it's running right.

      I can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I can scare the crap out of any passenger I want. I can pass anyone on the freeway at any time. I can gain too much confidence and lose painfully in races to modded out BMW 6 series (), I can come out of turns with monster speed and rip away.

      The 28rs is damn close to the 2871 and the 2871 is super fun.

      But yes, it's very torque'y. Don't skip rods, lol. My 2871 loves 28 PSI
      My Build
      My FAQ / DIY Thread -- Look here for 90% of the questions you have

      Welcome to the world of racing! Budgets are ALWAYS exceeded, deadlines are never met, end-goals never reached, and wives always unhappy... it's all worth it though!

    25. 05-23-2012 10:14 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by groggory View Post
      I had a GT2560 (APR stg3) for awhile and had a lot of fun. Spooled up super quick. Ran out of steam I'd say in the high 5k RPM's and was out of breath completely by 6500.

      Now I have a GT2871 and it has so much torque that it has broken part after part on my car....lol...which is a good thing in my book. Ripped my inner axle hub out while rolling onto an on-ramp hard (thank you LSD for hooking up). Destroyed 2 or 3 engine and transmission mounts (034 street and track density). Destroyed a couple dog bone inserts. Run to the bleeding edge of the APR drop in pump. The car is super crazy fun with this turbo when it's running right.

      I can spin the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I can scare the crap out of any passenger I want. I can pass anyone on the freeway at any time. I can gain too much confidence and lose painfully in races to modded out BMW 6 series (), I can come out of turns with monster speed and rip away.

      The 28rs is damn close to the 2871 and the 2871 is super fun.

      But yes, it's very torque'y. Don't skip rods, lol. My 2871 loves 28 PSI
      Very true!

      Obliterated my axle on 2nd gear pull on a very sticky dunlop direzza and LSD!!!
      01' BT Jetta
      14' Audi Q5 TDi
      14' JSW TDi

    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •