Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ricam's 6spd allroad conversion thread.....a pictorial :)

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi allroad, VAST Stage III
      05-20-2012 11:13 PM #1
      Figured I would post these pics as it shows a lot of the TIP to 6SPD conversion process I am currently going through. A HUGE Thanks to Bryan at audis4parts for busting his you know what to get this whole project taken care of and taken care of quickly for me. Truck arrived at my office in Houston on Wednesday last week and I loaded the car. Bryan sent me the last shots you see about 30 mins ago. He should be finishing up tomorrow (Monday) and after some test driving he will line up a truck to get her heading back to me. Super excited in case you cant tell. I know people like pics, so I will keep this thread updated with all the pics I get throughout the process. ENJOY!

If anyone is interested in my built 517 EYK trans, Valve Body and Torque Converter, let me know! They are still under warranty from 517.
      __________________________________________________ _

2. Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2012 11:13 PM #2

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      05-22-2012 04:20 PM #3
      Saw this on AZ as well. Looks like they did a really nice job.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2012 04:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      Saw this on AZ as well. Looks like they did a really nice job.
      Thanks man. I posted it here also just to spread the pics

Vehicles
      2010 Saab 9-3 XWD 2.0T, 2008 Acura MDX
      05-25-2012 11:21 AM #5
      So what was the issue? Did the 517 trans not hold up to the power you were pushing? I wanted to go stage 3 but I'm afraid the tip will explode. Or did you just get bored of the Tip? I've seen these conversion kits going roughly for $3,000 which isn't bad for the amount of parts if takes to convert over. On a different note, do you want to sell your tipchip TCU? LOL
      Last edited by Scotmbb107; 05-25-2012 at 11:25 AM.
      2008 Acura MDX
      2010 Saab 9-3 XWD 2.0T

6. Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2012 01:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotmbb107 View Post
      So what was the issue? Did the 517 trans not hold up to the power you were pushing? I wanted to go stage 3 but I'm afraid the tip will explode. Or did you just get bored of the Tip? I've seen these conversion kits going roughly for $3,000 which isn't bad for the amount of parts if takes to convert over. On a different note, do you want to sell your tipchip TCU? LOL
      Trans held up fine. Shifted fast and precise. I truly went 6 spd because it didnt feel right without it. I found myself holding onto the shift knob and wanting to shift

TCU is sold I do have my stock TCU for sale if you are interested as you can send it to GIAC or VAST to chip and then swap it in when you get it back and sell yours.

7. 05-29-2012 01:35 AM #7
      ^ That's a thought

8. 07-19-2012 01:28 PM #8
      how much did the complete convertion cost trany & labor?
      was there a complete kit that can be purchaced that has everything in it? axels EVERYTING!
      Was there anything outside of the car that had to be puchaced seperatly?
      I was thnking if I could find an automatic with a bad tranny and for cheap I'd go the route
      you went.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 03:59 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by dhatwood View Post
      how much did the complete convertion cost trany & labor?
      was there a complete kit that can be purchaced that has everything in it? axels EVERYTING!
      Was there anything outside of the car that had to be puchaced seperatly?
      I was thnking if I could find an automatic with a bad tranny and for cheap I'd go the route
      you went.

Pricing may vary since I upgraded a lot while doing it and shipped my car. Email Brian over at audis4parts and see if he has any kits and get some pricing info from him.

http://audis4parts.com/audi-a6-tip-t...-transmission/

I upgraded to raxles for my front axles and also my clutch and the slave to a USP metal one.

10. 07-20-2012 01:08 PM #10
      why raxels? and I noticed from the website link you posted that they through there google documents did this converstion to a 4.2. that's cool. I'd like to do that. there convertaion kit will work on the 2.7 & 4.2 as well?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-20-2012 02:28 PM #11
      I had raxles on my TIP allroad and with the lifetime warranty they are excellent. I got a set from Marty for the 6spd allroad since I wasnt 100% sure what kind of love the OEM ones Brian had had seen. That all said, I am sure they were perfect otherwise he wouldnt have used them but the peace of mind was important to me.

12. 08-03-2012 06:20 PM #12
      Hi! I have a 2004 allroad that dropped it's transmission a week ago (lost 1st&2nd). I came upon the company in AZ that does these swaps, and spoke with him at lenght about it, and I think you are the swap that he was referring to. If so, I'd love to hear about the experience from you. I never wanted the automatic version, but ended up with it nonetheless because I really wanted an allroad! Now I'm at the point where I can replace what I've got to fix it, or swap it out! Feel free to contact me by email (mediawest@msn.com) or phone (206)-619-3189. Thanks!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-03-2012 06:39 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Blvue_allroad View Post
      Hi! I have a 2004 allroad that dropped it's transmission a week ago (lost 1st&2nd). I came upon the company in AZ that does these swaps, and spoke with him at lenght about it, and I think you are the swap that he was referring to. If so, I'd love to hear about the experience from you. I never wanted the automatic version, but ended up with it nonetheless because I really wanted an allroad! Now I'm at the point where I can replace what I've got to fix it, or swap it out! Feel free to contact me by email (mediawest@msn.com) or phone (206)-619-3189. Thanks!
      It was a very smooth process for me. Amazingly only a one week ordeal and Brian kept me in the loop the entire time ANYTIME as he and I had many late night google chats Shoot me an email if you want and I can answer any questions for you that you may have. My email is my username at gmail.

14. 08-06-2012 04:08 PM #14
      Hi! I sent an email as requested over the weekend. If you can, please make sure I didn't end up in the junk folder, and let me know what you thought of the car now that you've had it a few weeks. Thanks!