Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girlfriend wants a bike. Help!!

05-22-2012 02:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
      Marry her and when she divorces you, she can get your bike.
      B5 S4
      84 GTI (Sold)
      03 24v turbo (sold)

2. Member autotragik b3attlewagen's Avatar
      Vehicles
      14' Beetle/ 02' Passat Wagon 5-speed! / 85' KLR600 / 99' SV650
      05-23-2012 05:15 PM #27
      a much as I will get hate on for this, a Buell Blast makes a good starter bike. Cheap, easy to find parts, easy to work on.
      When she is ready to upgrade to something quicker, can turn around and sell the Buell for near the same price you paid.
      I have to laugh when someone calls me an a*****e. I've been called far worse than that.
      - Gordon Ramsay

05-23-2012 05:54 PM #28
      I, personally, don't have an issue with the Blast or any other faring-less bikes, she just loves the look of a faring'd sport bike, so I'm against a wall on that one.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07 baggedwagon, now 12 GLI
      05-24-2012 01:19 PM #29
      My wife's first bike was a monster. She loved it. It would be a perfect bike to start with.

05-24-2012 01:45 PM #30
      I have 3 friends with Monsters from various generations. I had her sit on one and it was just too big/heavy for her. Again, she's a toothpic and "feeling safe" is the first thing you want a newbie to feel and she simply didn't feel safe on one. Same with the touring bikes, just too big and heavy for her.

I'm sure after a summer with a 250 I can convince her to step up, but maybe she never will. What she does, it's her decision.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---
      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. ~Frank Sinatra

Vehicles
      2nd gen 4runner. 2011 ZX6R, 2001 WR426F
      05-24-2012 02:38 PM #31

if you want the looks of a sportbike...

7. 05-24-2012 03:00 PM #32
      I wouldn't be as concerned with outgrowing a 250, so much as "outclimbing" one. I assume that there's a lot of good mountain roads in OR. A bike that makes about 20 HP at sea level would be quite a dog at 7,000 ft. I think a non-supersport 650 (SV, Monster, Ninja) would be a better choice. Since she's fairly tall, a 400 supermoto wouldn't be out of the question either, especially if it's lowered.

05-24-2012 04:01 PM #33
      She often rides with me on the R1 and is still scared when I accelerate. It doesn't help that we live next to a neighborhood full of 'vettes and even a Gallardo, all of which like to play on the backroads near our homes. Of course, a vet wanted to play while she was on the back and I tapped her hands (which means "hold on") and I think she still pee's herself a little, even in straight-line acceleration. She's still in the habit of pressing her head next to mine (so I'm all sideways cockeyed) instead of trusting me and riding in-line, I'm trying to break her of that. BUT, it does mean she's very interested in controlling the situation by wanting to watch what's in front so bad. Still, she can't see herself on a bike nearly that powerful or even midsize sportbike (she hated my Gixxer750 and 929rr too). The other bikes that are a lot safer (the sv, gs'es, older sport bikes, etc.) she simply HATES the design of. I can't fault her for that, I'm the same way. Half my love affair of my bikes are the looks, the other half is performance.

She actually road one of my buddies Monsters (2004'ish?) around the block and when she stopped we had to keep her from falling over, she's seriously new to this stuff. And we all know what the typical dump is... low speed, in a parking lot, etc. etc. She's going to dump whatever she gets, but I'd rather it be a small, used 250 than a heavier bike that she'd have even less control over. One other problem with the Monsters (and similar) is that there is even less wind cover... your faceguard becomes the windshield - streetfighters are definitely a no-go for her. Even most sport bikes allow you to get out of the wind with a good tuck.
      shaneparkerphoto.com
      ---

9. 05-24-2012 05:02 PM #34
      Naked bikes also a lot less plastic to replace. If you want a small cc bike why not a NRS.
      Last edited by URSledgehammer; 05-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      05-27-2012 10:57 AM #35
      Don't forget about the Honda 250.

Last edited by Sizzla; 05-27-2012 at 10:59 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI
      05-29-2012 04:45 PM #36
      Your gf needs to understand that learning first on a cheaper, less beautiful-looking bike, will eventually lead to the experience of handling the higher end cc bikes (translate to much more beautiful looking). Put up with a used SV650s or some other used bike for a year or 2 and then move up to a bike in which she ideally wants. This way, when she does drop it, she could care less if there was a scratch or a crack on a fairing piece. You have an R1 so you know how dang expensive just a plastic piece is. Also, don't start her off on a Ducati...has she seen maintenance prices and even parts prices?

Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-29-2012 05:00 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by sonicGLI View Post
      I'm sure after a summer with a 250 I can convince her to step up, but maybe she never will. What she does, it's her decision.
      IMO, I would disregard the 250 and get something like an EX500/650 or a GS500. At least with the newer EX650 you'll get a lot of the more modern sportbike look but without the raspy little 250 engine. Even though it's 50cc larger than a 600SS it's significantly slower so she won't scare herself too much on it, yet it has the mid-range to be comfortable as a freeway rider and weekend tourer. Whenever I picked up my ZX6R I seriously considered using my EX500 as a trade-in but couldn't bring myself to do so. It's such a great all-round and useable motorcycle that's so dirt cheap to run it'd be stupid to have parted ways. It's "safe" for the beginner, is plenty of bike that it's hard to outgrow, and something that'll work well for someone who want's a sportbike without the insane speeds.
      Last edited by abawp; 05-29-2012 at 05:02 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12