VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

BMW E31 850i now with wheels and a bumper!

27K views 43 replies 40 participants last post by  DG7Projects 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally, after a year I've got the E31 looking more presentable. Here are a few pics from a quick photoshoot tonight. I'm still in partial disbelief that this is even my car, as I've dreamed about owning one since I discovered its existence.

I just got the wheels fitting and the CSi front bumper installed the day before Bimmerfest, as the car was looking completely miserable.

The fronts are 18x10 ET+8 (20mm spacer) with Goodyear Eagle GT 225/35/18
The rears are 18x12.5 ET +8 with Continental ContiTouring 265/30/18s.

The real suspension is still getting built, so for now I am on cut H&Rs in front and cut stock springs on the rear.

So I went from this:

to this, wondering if things were ever going to work out:

And finally, to this (excuse the filth):

And here are some shots of it from Bimmerfest this weekend:

Aloha housekeeping

Goober mode face

See less See more
#34 ·
I really like the car, but...

Yeah, reminds me of cars in the barrios back in the 90's. On second look, it made me think of the rent-a-wheel shops.

The poke isn't ideal, I agree, and it'll be taken care of in a bit.
That's really good to hear.

#9 ·
drooool. I've always wanted one of those cars. Not the style of wheels I would've thought but they look good :thumbup:

#23 ·
Maintenance hasn't been expensive at all. I've spent maybe 200-300 fixing leaks and replacing old worn out trim pieces, but that's about it. I've got lucky at the junkyard a few times as well, finding 2 brand new MAFs and several pairs of electronic throttles, which are normally over $1500 a pair.

I love those wheels! Specifically, I love those wheels are on this car. Nice job!

Did you do some type of retro-fit to the headlights?
What do you mean about the headlights?

I saw your car Saturday, up against the fence - hard to miss with those wheels. I think it works in person, what kind of response were you getting from people at the show?
Everyone I talked to at Bimmerfest seemed to really like them. I know there is too much poke in the rear, but I have plans to correct that. Response on the E31 forum has been about 30% it looks good and 70% holy jesus christ in a chicken basket you're going to flip your car and kill the dolphins with those stretched tires, and 100% me not giving a turkey because I love this car and these wheels, and everything can be put back to stock at any given moment.

#27 ·
It almost looks amazing... I guess poke is the right word (I'm not into suspension mods and stance so I don't know the lingo). Well the poke is too much. Tires shouldn't go past the wheel arch... Ever. Looks terrible. I just want to see it go over one single road imperfection and have the tire eat the fender (because that's what it looks like will happen, hence why I dislike it so much - how can you drive a car and have to worry about that).

The wheels and car are right, but shouldn't be pushed out quite as far as they are. Maybe get rid of the spacers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.