Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: 2005 Trailblazer oil change?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Yamaha R6, 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      05-21-2012 09:35 AM #1
      I told my girlfriend I'd change the oil on her 2005 trailblazer. Anything weird on these trucks that I should know about before starting the job? It's just a domestic suv, I should be fine, right? I've been changing the oil on my own cars since Ive been driving, but I'm just wondering if I need to do anything special with this one, or if it needs any special tools.

It's a 2wd with the 4.2L I6 fyi.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      05-21-2012 09:42 AM #2
      Nothing special that I know of, but I don't see the upside of working on someone else's car. Nothing but bad things can happen. Just sayin'.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      05-21-2012 10:08 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      Nothing special that I know of, but I don't see the upside of working on someone else's car. Nothing but bad things can happen. Just sayin'.
      you dont see the upside of working on your girlfriends car? really? ive always worked on my girlfriends cars, my girlfriends friends, my parents, my siblings, my parents friends and so forth...if you know what youre doing nothing bad happens...
      DIY harlequin
      VRT partout
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

Vehicles
      Mazda2
      05-21-2012 10:42 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ADeHelian View Post
      you dont see the upside of working on your girlfriends car? really? ive always worked on my girlfriends cars, my girlfriends friends, my parents, my siblings, my parents friends and so forth...if you know what youre doing nothing bad happens...
      As always, it depends on the person. Decent human beings, yes, I'll work on their cars.

But, there's always that one asshat... "you changed my oil last week and now the cigarette lighter is broken! WHAT DID YOU BREAK"
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      1996 Olds Cutlass Ciera
      05-21-2012 10:56 AM #5
      It should hold 7qts of oil which is the only weird thing in my opinion. Check the level to be on the safe side, my mother in law had one and I was pretty surprised how much oil it held.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      05-21-2012 10:58 AM #6
      Just did my wife's '03. 15mm plug, filter is kind of hidden but easy to access from the side or through the skid plate hole. Oil will drip onto the skid plate when you remove the filter. Just wipe that off when done.

Official capacity is 7.2 quarts but you'll probably get about 6.5 + filter fill in there unless you take extreme measures to extract the old stuff.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Being a man isn't about being ready, it's about faking it so well you fool yourself.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      05-21-2012 11:08 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
      As always, it depends on the person. Decent human beings, yes, I'll work on their cars.

But, there's always that one asshat... "you changed my oil last week and now the cigarette lighter is broken! WHAT DID YOU BREAK"
      That's all I was saying. Lots of people not in to cars will associate you with everything that goes wrong after you touch it.
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      2011 CW Autobahn, DSG
      05-21-2012 11:16 AM #8
      It's a Chevy, nothing trick to it. What I would do.....

Pick up Trailblazer from g/f
      Bring it to Midas for $19.99 oil change and free tire rotation.
      Put some oil on your hands and shirt, wipe a bit on your forehead.
      Bring Trailblazer back to g/f.
      Blowjob.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-21-2012 12:09 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Iceman18T View Post

Blowjob.
      you forgot "profit," but in this scenario, we'll just call it blowjob instead.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      B4S TDI Passat
      05-21-2012 12:23 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      you forgot "profit," but in this scenario, we'll just call it blowjob instead.
      LOL at that.

I always work on my relatives' cars. Just the ones that ask. I don't have any d-bags in my family that would blame me because 1) I don't do something I might mess up, and 2) I explain what's going on so they know what I'm doing. I also do what I can on my gf's car because it's not difficult and she trusts me and I get rewarded nicely. Plus her 'family mechanic' is a total quack when it comes to these things and I've seen his work and don't trust him.

I would never work on somebody's car if I don't know them well enough and I don't make friends with people that are d-bag enough to blame me for something I didn't touch.

11. 05-21-2012 12:24 PM #11
      I guess mechanics ALWAYS screw up, since NOTHING but bad things can happen when you work on someone else's car...

12. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      05-21-2012 12:54 PM #12
      7qts of 10w-30 oil. I highly recommend one of those jaw-type filter wrenches that goes on the end of a 3/8" ratchet extension, as it's tough to get regular filter pliers on there if it's too tight to just remove by hand.

Other than that, it's straightforward.
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      05-21-2012 01:03 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      I guess mechanics ALWAYS screw up, since NOTHING but bad things can happen when you work on someone else's car...
      I don't mean to say anything will actually get screwed up. I'm saying you risk getting blamed for whatever goes wrong next just for touching their car. I'm just being pessimistic about working on cars for friends and family. There's been threads on here over the years where good deeds went bad when something extra decided to break and unleash a string of issues.
      Just wait until OP changes that oil and the check engine light comes on the next day

14. 05-21-2012 01:05 PM #14
      I don't mean to say anything will actually get screwed up. I'm saying you risk getting blamed for whatever goes wrong next just for touching their car. I'm just being pessimistic about working on cars for friends and family. There's been threads on here over the years where good deeds went bad when something extra decided to break and unleash a string of issues.
      Just wait until OP changes that oil and the check engine light comes on the next day
      Never had a problem with that, at least not amongst my friends. But that might be due to them understanding that sh*t happens. Maybe you just need better friends.

05-21-2012 02:29 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Iceman18T View Post

Blowjob.
      Quote Originally Posted by ADeHelian View Post
      .....my girlfriends friends, my parents, my siblings, my parents friends and so forth...
      Talk about awkward. "Hey mom...I changed your oil....now about payment...."
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Yamaha R6, 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
      05-21-2012 05:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jtls8 View Post
      Just did my wife's '03. 15mm plug, filter is kind of hidden but easy to access from the side or through the skid plate hole. Oil will drip onto the skid plate when you remove the filter. Just wipe that off when done.

Official capacity is 7.2 quarts but you'll probably get about 6.5 + filter fill in there unless you take extreme measures to extract the old stuff.
      Ah, good to know. There's always one of those oil change specials going on at autozone, I think the one right now is something like 19.99 for 5 quarts and a filter, I guess ill have to pick up a couple more.

17. 05-21-2012 05:42 PM #17
      I know what AKAdriver is saying. I had something similar happen on my gf's (at the time) mother's car. I think I changed the air filter, or something, and then the next day it wouldn't start. A complete coincidence, but she didn't see it that way. I guess correlation does equal causation to her.

It went from "You saved me $40! Thank you!!!" to "Because of you I have to get a new battery!". Whatever, she was a b anyway (gf and her mom).

I now only do work for very, very close family members/friends, and even then, I try to assist them as much as possible and not do all of the work. It's just one less bs thing I have to deal with.
      FS: PNY GeForce 2010 Video cards - $10 for 1 or $25 for all 4

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post85839023

18. 05-21-2012 06:09 PM #18

I've had crap like this happen to me on more than on occasion which is why I don't touch anybodies cars but mine anymore.

19. 05-21-2012 07:16 PM #19

If your girlfriend pulls something like that after changing the oil on her car, take the hint and GTFO. If she helps or at least keeps you company while you work, take the hint and keep her around.

Vehicles
      94 golf, 90 calypso VR jetta gli,98 ginster, 97 golf, 95 jetta, 99 jetta
      05-22-2012 11:11 AM #20
      That's all I was saying. Lots of people not in to cars will associate you with everything that goes wrong after you touch it.
      well i work at a pepboys so this happens on a daily basis multiple times. all you can do is try your best to explain to the customer the fact that changing rear struts wont cause the front brakes to start grinding (true story)
      DIY harlequin
      VRT partout
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      You carry a ball peen hammer but not a jack? Are you in the Hell's Angels?
      Quote Originally Posted by Porridgehead View Post
      As far as sexes go, I'm uncertain these days. It's getting harder to tell if you're at the hotdog stand or taco bell until it's actually in your mouth.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Focus ST and lots of bicycles
      05-22-2012 11:16 AM #21
      Eeeeeeexactly. If I feel pretty confident that the person "gets it," then I'll help out. But I'm done helping EVERYBODY with their cars.

Case in point, my co-worker is fuming mad about his Harley's cracked rear wheel hub, after he had a shop put a clutch in it last week. He is actually going back to the shop to demand they fix an unrelated failed part.