Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My Maintenance Plans. Any Advice?

1. 05-21-2012 02:24 PM #1
      CAR: 2006 Passat 2.0T FSI 89,XXX mi.

I bought this car @ about 60K miles and It has been running well. I've been researching things I need to do to keep my car running well for years to come. My maintenance plan is as follows:

1.) I plan to use the 1/3,1/3,1/3 seafoam method (gas, oil, intake) right before my next oil change of 4,000 miles.
      I have completed Sea Foaming my engine. Results: MUCH smoother idle. Definately more responsive. I cannot prove more power was a result. And from tracking my MPG in my commute, I'm getting a little better MPG; nothing extremely substantial though.

2.) I will change my oil, either 0w40 Mobil 1 european full syn, or the Pento High Performance II from ECS (Currently running)

3.) I will have my timing belt and switching to a metal water pump serviced by the dealership

4.) I will change my transmission fluid and filter changed at the dealership

5.) I will have my cam follower replaced at the dealership (Using ECS Follower)

6.) I will have my plugs and coils replaced at the dealership

7.) I will have any recent recall work done while at the dealership. (I think there are some resent ones to be done to certain VINs)

8.) I will clean and re-oil my K&N drop in filter

9.) I will be installing an AWE diverter valve

10.) I will be tuning to Unitronic 1+

11.) I will be adding s5 style headlights with DDM HIDs and a very very light tint to help resist oxidation of the lenses.

Everything will be here end of next week. Is there anything I should have them look at or do while they have my car all taken apart to do all these other things? (Thermostat replaced 3 months ago)

There's a TSB and an extended warrenty for the PCV Valve. What would I have to do to get them to change this out?
      Last edited by Cranford803; 06-14-2012 at 08:10 AM.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-21-2012 03:34 PM #2
      looks good change the cabin air filter? bleed brakes?

3. 05-21-2012 03:54 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by nodashi View Post
      looks good change the cabin air filter? bleed brakes?
      Just had a VW tech install rear brakes and rotors. Will have to ask him if he bled the brakes. Do i just need to bleed them or do I need to replace the brake fluid as well? (Will do front brakes and new rotors when they need to be replaced. Lookin good right now though)

I just replaced the cabin air filter. Good catch. I didn't include it because I had just done it. Should have mentioned it.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-21-2012 04:06 PM #4
      bleeding the brakes is basically changing out the fluid. I dont know if you have done it already but what about (im assuming you have a auto) changing out the transmission fluid?

5. 05-21-2012 04:12 PM #5
      bleeding the brakes is basically changing out the fluid. I dont know if you have done it already but what about (im assuming you have a auto) changing out the transmission fluid?
      4.) I will change my transmission fluid and filter at the dealership

I wish I could do more of this on my own, but doesn't it have to be brought to a certain temperature? Plus that's way too important a part for a guy like me to do. I'll leave that to the professionals.

In addition to these maintenance items I'm installing LED license place lights, s5 style LED DRLs, and a 35w DDM 4300K HID kit. Also trying to find a good polish to use on my car before I give her a nice coat of wax. Any suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Full overhaul for the Passat. She should run / look nice after all this. Hopefully for many many more miles.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-21-2012 04:16 PM #6
      ahh i bet the s5 light will look nice y do they have to cost so much :/. I use turtle wax ice and it works pretty well. btw im too scared to do my own tranny oil change aswell

Vehicles
      2010 Candy White Passat 2.0 TSI
      05-21-2012 04:21 PM #7
      Are u gonna sell your old headlight? I. Somewhat interested...
      Unitronic Stage 2 -- 42DD 3" catless downpipe -- APR Intercooler -- Unitronic Intake -- BSH Throttle Pipe -- AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe -- Votex front lip -- HiDef side skirts -- painted rear valence -- mkvi wheel w/DSG paddles -- DDM HID headlights -- Euro side markers -- Interior & licence plate LEDs -- Skyline style Euro Tail Lights -- Podi gauge and pod kit -- revision D diverter valve -- Eibach DG springs (for sale)

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-21-2012 04:23 PM #8
      Im not selling mine . Although if you check the forums classifieds every now and then you'll find some.

9. 05-21-2012 04:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by SDbirdman View Post
      Are u gonna sell your old headlight? I. Somewhat interested...
      One of the reasons I am switching to the S5s is that they are slightly oxidized. I was planning to have them resurfaced but decided to get new ones and wrap them in 5% tint instead.

If you are just interested in functional headlights and want to have them restored then I am more then happy to work something out when I have them switched out late next month.

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      05-21-2012 04:55 PM #10
      My passenger side light is dirty on the inside and i would like to get a new one to replace it. If i price is right i would buy the passenger side one but in like 2 weeks i have to wait for funds

11. 06-14-2012 08:11 AM #11
      Bump. See OP Edits. Thanks for all the help guys!

12. 06-14-2012 04:55 PM #12
      "4.) I will change my transmission fluid and filter changed at the dealership"

Is it listed in official maintenance program? I remember trans fluid is lifetime....

Vehicles
      2006 FSI 2.0t Passat
      06-14-2012 04:59 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by netfishlight02 View Post
      "4.) I will change my transmission fluid and filter changed at the dealership"

Is it listed in official maintenance program? I remember trans fluid is lifetime....
      VW changed it. Now you must change it every 40k miles

14. 06-14-2012 07:26 PM #14
      VW changed it. Now you must change it every 40k miles
      hmm...i havn't change it since 2006, it is almost 10k now... well, better to get that done then.

15. 06-20-2012 09:33 AM #15
      There's a TSB and an extended warrenty for the PCV Valve. What would I have to do to get them to change this out? What 'symptoms' could I describe that would point to that being a problem?

16. 06-20-2012 10:44 AM #16
      add one item on your list, brake fluid flush every two years...

Vehicles
      '12 WRX, '13 Mazda3 Skyactiv, 08 Passat FSI 2.0T
      06-20-2012 10:56 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Cranford803 View Post
      Also trying to find a good polish to use on my car before I give her a nice coat of wax. Any suggestions with that would be greatly appreciated as well!
      Try Adam's Products (www.adamspolishes.com). Made in USA, best customer service, 110% money back guarantee, great instructional videos, involved and supportive community (www.adamsforums.com). Definitely better than anything you'll pick up from an Auto Parts store. Rivals anything you can buy at autogeek.

I did a full detail this past weekend and used all Adam's Products - Shampoo, Clay, Polish, Sealant, Wax, the whole shabang. The results were Excellent Didn't upload the pictures to flickr yet, so you have to take my word on it

18. 06-20-2012 11:05 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by indyb6 View Post
      Try Adam's Products (www.adamspolishes.com). Made in USA, best customer service, 110% money back guarantee, great instructional videos, involved and supportive community (www.adamsforums.com). Definitely better than anything you'll pick up from an Auto Parts store. Rivals anything you can buy at autogeek.

I did a full detail this past weekend and used all Adam's Products - Shampoo, Clay, Polish, Sealant, Wax, the whole shabang. The results were Excellent Didn't upload the pictures to flickr yet, so you have to take my word on it
      That sounds great. I'd like to see pictures when you get them up. I'll look into that. I'm thinking i'll probably need to go get an electric buffer... yes?

Vehicles
      '12 WRX, '13 Mazda3 Skyactiv, 08 Passat FSI 2.0T
      06-20-2012 08:49 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Cranford803 View Post
      That sounds great. I'd like to see pictures when you get them up. I'll look into that. I'm thinking i'll probably need to go get an electric buffer... yes?
      Here are some pictures:

DSC02702
      DSC02704
      DSC02699
      DSC02703
      DSC02705
      DSC02712
      DSC02715
      DSC02692

Yes, for scratch free paint, you will need a rotary or an orbital buffer. Try the Porter cable 7424XP. It is a great tool and very forgiving for beginners. It is orbital. Perfecting a rotary needs practice, so I would not recommend jumping directly to a rotary. Rotary gets very hot and you can damage your paint. Makita is an example of a rotary buffer.

Rotary buffer is supposed to be better for paint correction, and will do a better job of paint correction, but as I said, it takes practice.

I used only hand polishing products, because I was not looking for "perfect paint". I wanted good protection and a reasonably "deep" shine.

Search YouTube for Junkman2000's channel. Junkman is a great guy and his videos, albeit long, are very educational.

Happy Detailing!