Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Acid Reflux (Alt title-- It BURNS!!!)

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-21-2012 03:01 PM #1
      OK, I can't be the only one on here with a raging case of AR. I'm 44 (!!!), not overweight at all, in great shape, nonsmoker, etc... yet I have a raging case of AR. Got scoped a few years ago when it was bad-- they found some prior signs of damage, but nothing bad or cancerous. I've been on Prevacid 30mg since then with good results.

Generally, I can eat whatever I want to-- but can't really tolerate any cola sodas, or combining chocolate and red wine. Other than that, I can go nuts.

Lately though, even without eating my 'forbidden' foods, it's been RAGING. It's miserable -- getting the 'burps, nausea, and that acid taste in my mouth. Waiting now for an appt with my GP to see whats going on.

Any other AR sufferers here? Any tips besides 'get a new stomach'??

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      05-21-2012 05:08 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by WRXGuy View Post
      Any other AR sufferers here? Any tips besides 'get a new stomach'??
      I'm in your age range and suffered from it since HS. Both my Dad and brother have issues as well. I was constantly getting those huge Tums containers from Costco and had emergency stashes of it in all the cars and travel gear. I don't really like taking medicine except when necessary, but I did notice that Prevacid worked well (about 6yrs ago).

I quit drinking all soda (down from ~5-8 12oz cans per week; which I thought was low) a few years back, added more water and vegetables to my diet and now I rarely have AR. The only times it flares up comes from when I travel for work and don't have access to the best food selection.

Also, most AR comes from an imbalance in your stomach pH so you might look into the foods you are eating. It's the sodium in sugar drinks (Juice, OJ, Gatorade, etc.) not the sugar that turns up AR.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-21-2012 05:29 PM #3
      I've stopped drinking soda except for the *very* rare one - the carbonation seems to make it that much worse. Strangely enough, I can drink Mountain Dew all day-- there's just something about it.

I just can't figure out what kicked off this latest round-- I'm about 20 days into it, with some days being good and others not so good. Last time it got bad I had to move to a constant diet of vanilla protein drinks until it stopped.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      05-21-2012 10:47 PM #4
      Disclaimer: I'm 1/4 of a doctor so I pretty much know nothing.

Reflux is fairly important to control because chronic reflux can lead to dysplasia/Barrett's eso****us. That in turn is a risk for eso****eal cancer, which is not a good thing. Get scoped if you're not already getting scoped regularly. Anyway, there's a bunch of stuff that can lead to reflux. Excess acid secretion, a hiatal hernea and loss of lower eso****eal tone. Prevacid (a proton pump inhibitor) can apparently often be given on symptoms of GERD (Gastroeso****eal Reflux Disorder) without further diagnostics. So if you haven't seen a gastroenterologist for a scope or barium swallow or whatever, now that you're getting recurrence that's not controlled it's probably time.

Regarding treatment, if it really gets out of hand, you can get surgery that ties the stomach around the sphincter which tightens it up. Apparently it helps, but a good percentage of patients will still get symptoms after a few years.

And if you want a more reliable source:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroe...reflux_disease

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-22-2012 12:39 PM #5
      Thanks for the tips 1/4 Doctor!

Yeah, I know I've got to get it back under control. Thanks to me reading Wikipedia yesterday, I picked up some Gaviscom -- took 2 while driving in a school zone (!!!), and about 5min later things had greatly improved. Only needed 2 more late yesterday, just to make sure that things *stayed* quiet. Today its WAY better, so I think that its almost totally back under control.

Its so strange that I've not had a flareup like this in 2 years or so-- but I can tell you when it begins to happen, its a month of hell. Trying to get into my GP to get an appt with a Gastro to discuss it.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      05-24-2012 01:20 PM #6
      I prescribed 40mg Nexium 2x/day. I was taking 3 OTC prilosecs/day.

I'm down to 1 40mg Nexium and the occasional pepcid. Mine is pretty bad. I've had the scope and everything else under the sun. I have a slight hiatal hernia.

The big things to avoid for me are:
      caffeine
      chocolate
      nicotine
      alcohol
      fatty or fried food
      carbonated drinks
      OJ

Pretty much all the good stuff. All of this stuff relaxes the sphincter muscle between your stomach and throat.

The biggest issue is that sometimes it gets so bad, I've actually gone to the hospital b/c it feels like I'm having a heart attack. Sometimes it gets in my lungs and I get asthma. The worst is if I work out hard, my voice goes and my throat has to heal for 2 days before I can work out that hard (this is if I don't take a pepcid or zantac prior to working out).

I live in a new city and have a new set of drs so I'm due for another endoscopy and I want to discuss the possibility of nissolasofundiplication(?). Where they tie your stomach around your eso****us.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-24-2012 03:35 PM #7
      I've had a few "Oh crap, it's a heart attack!" moments too-- even my PCP says that while he was in med school he had a few AR episodes like that-- and that if he hadn't known what it was, he totally would have been in the ER.

I've got to get into my PCP and see if he can give me script for 5mg of Reglan - its one of the few things that within minutes of taking it, *ALL* of my symptoms stop! Its magical, but dangerous in higher doses and long-term. From what I read, it helps strengthen the sphincter muscle between the eso****us and the stomach.

I've asked about Nissen fundoplication too-- it's generally only used for extreme cases for where it can't be controlled with medication/lifestyle changes. I don't think I'm to that point yet.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      05-24-2012 04:08 PM #8
      For most people the solution is simple.

1. Avoid processed foods. All of them. As much as possible.

2. Eat lots of raw fruits and fresh vegetables. (Not canned, bottle juiced, nuked, pasteurized, etc.)

3. Replace the processed crap with 100% whole grain, nuts, seeds, unprocessed meats.

4. Dairy is an acid producer. Avoid it whenever possible. When combined with white flour it becomes megatron the acid death star.

5. Look up an Alkaline food chart. There are many. Read and understand the concepts.

There, don't you feel better already?
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 04:23 PM #9
      I've had a few "Oh crap, it's a heart attack!" moments too-- even my PCP says that while he was in med school he had a few AR episodes like that-- and that if he hadn't known what it was, he totally would have been in the ER.

I've got to get into my PCP and see if he can give me script for 5mg of Reglan - its one of the few things that within minutes of taking it, *ALL* of my symptoms stop! Its magical, but dangerous in higher doses and long-term. From what I read, it helps strengthen the sphincter muscle between the eso****us and the stomach.

I've asked about Nissen fundoplication too-- it's generally only used for extreme cases for where it can't be controlled with medication/lifestyle changes. I don't think I'm to that point yet.
      I was on reglan for a little over 3 months. GP prescribed it to me and the Gastro took me off of it. Said he didn't care for it. I ended up developing a 'tic' where I would stick my tongue out the side of my mouth. It slowly faded away a few months after I stopped taking it. It kinda became my 'signature' facial expression.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      05-24-2012 04:52 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TigerinColorado View Post
      For most people the solution is simple.

1. Avoid processed foods. All of them. As much as possible.

2. Eat lots of raw fruits and fresh vegetables. (Not canned, bottle juiced, nuked, pasteurized, etc.)

3. Replace the processed crap with 100% whole grain, nuts, seeds, unprocessed meats.

4. Dairy is an acid producer. Avoid it whenever possible. When combined with white flour it becomes megatron the acid death star.

5. Look up an Alkaline food chart. There are many. Read and understand the concepts.

There, don't you feel better already?
      Thanks for the tips -- and yes, I do feel better already!

I still can't quite figure out why my AR went bezerko after being very controlled over the last few years. It's been getting better every day this week, bit by bit, so I think I'm on the mend.

Just saw that I'm not supposed to be drinking wine! Whaaaaaaat????! Yes, I know what alcohol does to those with AR. But I didn't know that milk was such an offender-- I usually drink milk-based protein drinks for breakfast -- that could be setting me up for trouble. Interesting. I do know about caffeine being a real producer-- I have some coffee in the morning, and that's it for the day. I know if I drink more than 2 cups a day, I'll get a revolt from my stomach.

11. 05-25-2012 10:40 AM #11
      I'm 25; I've had pretty regular heartburn/acid reflux since I was 18 or so. A few months ago it became pretty bad; we're talking about heartburn after every meal, and I was downing 10 to 20 tums a day to stay regular. Around that time I also decided to change my diet; I went with a keto diet, where you severely restrict your carb intake. Now I went with this diet to lose weight, not for the heartburn. Well lo and behold, after two days I noticed that I didn't need to chew on tums after ever meal. In fact, even eating spicy foods, such as beanless lowcarb chili, did not give me heartburn. Turns out my high carb diet was the culprit.

I didn't lose much weight on keto (it happens), so I ended up bringing carbs back into my diet, but I now limit myself to small amounts of carbs per day. And my hearburn has been under control ever since.

12. 06-11-2012 11:13 AM #12
      A couple nights a week I would wake up and feel like puff the magic dragon. My mouth and throat would be on fire and I couldnt lay down or go back to sleep. Laying flat, I could feel the fireball rolling up my stomach to my chest and throat. For me, I had to cut out certain foods and drinks and my issue left for the most part. It isnt completely gone, but much better.

I have some flare ups here and there, but diet is the biggest control for me. Late night eating is a No No for me, especially if the food is spicy or has red/acidic sauce. I have read that types of food or spice dont trigger it, for me it certainly does. Every once and a while my wife lets me have a late night with the fellas and we grab something after the bar. If I eat pizza, I know trouble is coming but I have figured out I can eat things like plain subs and have no issues. Alcohol and soda are the big No Nos for me. Almost everytime I have one or the other at night, puff the dragon will visit my throat later that evening. I used to have a beer at dinner or a beer watching a late basketball game on TV, I would wake up in agony around 2am no matter the food I ate. When I do the same thing without the beer, even eating late, I dont have half the issues. I also cut a few pounds, which could be a result of the limited soda, limited alcohol, and limited eating late, but I have seen I get it way less than I did heavier.

The other big change is water. Water is my friend. Without water, puff pays me regualar visits. With a ton of water in my diet, I have been able to control puff throwing up hell in my throat.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta & R56S
      06-11-2012 07:28 PM #13
      I have had AR since I can remember...it runs in my family. I have tried all the meds and my body ends up creating a resistance to them. I have tried all of the diets, I dont drink soda, non smoker, and I stay fit. Still nothing works and it drives me insane. My mom had the surgery to wrap her stomach and it worked for her going on 8yrs now...shes not able to throw up anymore though so I wanted to wait until I was past my drinking phase for that!

Long story short I work with an internal medicine Dr. and he recommended Club Soda. He had sold me that the ingredients in the club soda helped to create a balance in ph in my stomach. He suggested that I have 3 small cups a day for a month then try to have 1 a day there after. I have been AR free for about 2yrs now and only have the random flare ups after a night of Tequila shots with too many limes.

May sound kooky but it worked for me and several friends.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-12-2012 10:12 AM #14
      Interesting about the Club Soda... googing it shows that it's an effective antacid, but I can't find anything about using it long-term for 'maintenance'.

Oh, can I add Gin to my Club Soda too?

Vehicles
      06-12-2012 10:36 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by RaveGreenA4 View Post
      I have had AR since I can remember...it runs in my family. I have tried all the meds and my body ends up creating a resistance to them. I have tried all of the diets, I dont drink soda, non smoker, and I stay fit. Still nothing works and it drives me insane. My mom had the surgery to wrap her stomach and it worked for her going on 8yrs now...shes not able to throw up anymore though so I wanted to wait until I was past my drinking phase for that!

Long story short I work with an internal medicine Dr. and he recommended Club Soda. He had sold me that the ingredients in the club soda helped to create a balance in ph in my stomach. He suggested that I have 3 small cups a day for a month then try to have 1 a day there after. I have been AR free for about 2yrs now and only have the random flare ups after a night of Tequila shots with too many limes.

May sound kooky but it worked for me and several friends.
      Interesting...I may have to try that. I'm very close to having the surgery myself. My reflux doesn't feel like a fire ball, it feels like a heart attack.

The only thing about the club soda that sounds kinda off is that I was told to avoid carbonated beverages. However, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta & R56S
      06-12-2012 08:59 PM #16
      I also avoid carbonated drinks...I usually crack the caps when I get the bottles and let it sit for the day. it goes flat pretty quick and I am to the point now where I cant taste the difference between club soda and water.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-14-2012 09:46 AM #17
      Off to my GP today -- I've got it 99% under control again, but its still not what it was say a month or so ago. Maybe its time to get me onto another PPI?

Oh-- FYI-- Tums for me is useless. On the other hand, Gavascom Extra (or if you're cheap like me, the generic version!) is the Go-To drug of choice. 2 of those puppies stop all the burning in <5min.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-22-2012 11:48 AM #18
      GP changed up my drugs-
      40mg Omeprazole (aka Prilosec), 2x/day
      5mg metoclopram (aka Reglan) before meals & bed
      1g (!!!) sucralfate before meals & bed

With this combo, I've been rock-solid now for about 5 days! I've backed off the sucralfate to just before bed, and only take the metoclopram in the morning and before bed. I've tried OTC Prilosec in the past with little result-- didn't know that you could just up the dose sky-high and that it'd work for me!

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      06-22-2012 02:29 PM #19
      ^ Your outward symptoms are "solid".

What's actually going down inside?!?

Watch what you eat my friend!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.

Vehicles
      06-22-2012 02:52 PM #20
      GP changed up my drugs-
      40mg Omeprazole (aka Prilosec), 2x/day
      5mg metoclopram (aka Reglan) before meals & bed
      1g (!!!) sucralfate before meals & bed

With this combo, I've been rock-solid now for about 5 days! I've backed off the sucralfate to just before bed, and only take the metoclopram in the morning and before bed. I've tried OTC Prilosec in the past with little result-- didn't know that you could just up the dose sky-high and that it'd work for me!
      You can go all the way up to 80mg/day on OTC prilosec. Trust me, I know Isn't Reglan, Metoclopromide? I'd be wary of using it past 3 months. If I were you I'd find a GI specialist.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      06-22-2012 05:17 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      You can go all the way up to 80mg/day on OTC prilosec. Trust me, I know Isn't Reglan, Metoclopromide? I'd be wary of using it past 3 months. If I were you I'd find a GI specialist.
      I'm taking it for a few weeks, then backing it to 1x/day, then as needed after a week or so. I know all too well of the long-term effects of it. My GP says that he had one guy come in who'd be taking 10mg for YEARS-- didn't have the 'tick from it, but had a nice set of Moobs.

Reglan/metoclopromide is one of the few drugs out there that totally KO's that horrible low-level nausea I get when my AR gets bad. That has to be THE worst aspect of it-- I'd trade Dragon Mouth or that heart-attack feeling any day for walking around all the time feeling like I want to puke.