Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Home theatre in a box help..Sorta

1. Member
      Vehicles
      04 W8 6spd Wagon
      05-21-2012 03:39 PM #1
      I have a 12x12 room that I want to add a 5.1 system to. I have the TV already. I am looking to spend no more than $1000. basically, I am just going to watch blu-rays and cable tv on the system.

So I not sure a Home Theater in a Box is the way to go, maybe a receiver with a 5.1 speaker package and a blue-ray player. Anyone have some recommendations on a 5.1 speaker setup and receiver and blu-ray player?

I do have some flexibility on budget if its realy worth jumping up a bit in price. Also prefer speaker on the smaller side.

Any suggestions?
      Originally Posted by rconn14:
      The fact that someone invented a system that saves you the struggle of turning your head to check your blind spot, yet there is no dash-light that says "get your ass out of the left lane you cell phone wielding ****"

2. Member
      Vehicles
      04 W8 6spd Wagon
      05-22-2012 02:45 PM #2
      Anyone have any suggestions?
      The fact that someone invented a system that saves you the struggle of turning your head to check your blind spot, yet there is no dash-light that says "get your ass out of the left lane you cell phone wielding ****"

3. 05-23-2012 12:51 AM #3
      Find a good receiver for a few hundred bucks with all the necessary features. I know this gets mentioned a lot, but the refurbed onkyos really are a great deal. As for speakers, do a little research and listen to a few models in stores. You'll be able to tell what sounds good to you in your price range. If you want smaller, you can do a lot with bookshelf speakers. Don't be afraid to buy in pieces if it allows you to get better gear in the end. Movies sound great through a good pair of speakers and a sub. You can add the center and surrounds when you can afford them.

Definitely stay away from anything that comes in an all in one box.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      04 W8 6spd Wagon
      05-23-2012 09:39 AM #4
      That's what I kind of figured. I guess I am looking for a recommendation on a 5.1 pre-packedged speaker setup suggestions.

5. 05-23-2012 12:26 PM #5
      Find an audio/video independent retailer and go listen to some things. Not Best Buy, but someone with only one or two locations.

Vehicles
      Several...
      05-24-2012 03:08 PM #6
      Cheapest "decent" AVR imo:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4283272-Deno...from-Paul-s-TV

Won't upconvert your Wii (or component or composite in general) to HDMI like the pricier ones, but it has a lot of features that considerably more expensive models have (like discrete amps for each channel).

Speakers are going to be more about personal preference... I have these:

http://slickdeals.net/f/4266044-Best...-Speaker-59-99

Including a pair of matching bookshelfs for the rear, and have been delighted with them, especially considering the price I paid. Polk also makes some very decent entry-priced setups.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 330i, 2010 LR4
      06-22-2012 04:09 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by twelvevolt View Post
      ...... Movies sound great through a good pair of speakers and a sub. You can add the center and surrounds when you can afford them. ...
      From what I understand, all (most?) of the dialogue in movies is directed to the centre channel, so consider adding it as well for watching movies.

But I agree, skip on the rear speakers for now.

edit: I believe your amp will be able to re-allocate the centre channel to the other 2 front speakers, but it will definitely not sound as good as having a dedicated centre channel.

8. 06-22-2012 08:02 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BlixemBimmer View Post
      but it will definitely not sound as good as having a dedicated centre channel.
      Not necessarily. Depending or speaker and room layout, a center channel may not be beneficial at all.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 330i, 2010 LR4
      06-25-2012 03:50 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      Not necessarily. Depending or speaker and room layout, a center channel may not be beneficial at all.
      Then why do we bother with 5.1 systems? Shouldn't we just safe money and effort and do 4.1 systems?

10. 06-25-2012 04:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BlixemBimmer View Post
      Then why do we bother with 5.1 systems? Shouldn't we just safe money and effort and do 4.1 systems?
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      Depending or speaker and room layout, a center channel may not be beneficial at all.