Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Civic windshield moulding works on our Corrados...

Vehicles
      My baby: 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR (OBD2), My daily: 2014 CC R-Line, Wife's ride: 2010 Tiguan S 4Motion
      05-22-2012 12:58 AM #1
      And looks better too!

Long story short, I ordered new glass from the dealer, only to find that it was missing the side mouldings that should have been preinstalled on the glass already. And I was missing the top strip. All I got was the one that goes all the way around. Being it was the Monday before SoWo, I had no time to order the OEM stuff and wait for it to arrive. The installer looked at it and suggested moulding from a 98 Civic. It's one piece (instead of the OEM 4-piece).

I have to say, it looks really good. Judge for yourself:

NOTE: I assume no responsibility if you experience leaks or wind noise or rust or whatever. My windshield was professionally installed by very experienced installers who know what they are doing. The 98 Civic moulding was suggested by them, not me. It fits perfect, with no leaks or wind noise. AND they treated the rust before installing.
      Last edited by RadoCC; 05-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
      Corrado Autobiography
      Past German cars owned: 1970 BMW 2002, 1987 VW Fox sedan, 2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2003 VW Passat wagon, 2013 VW CC Sport
      Past non-German cars owned: 1990 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Honda Civic EX, 2002 Subaru Outback

Vehicles
      91 Corrado G60
      05-22-2012 01:06 AM #2
      That really does look better. Nice find man. My winshield is cracked and I have a good one in a parts car but I'll need new trim. Looking at this I'm gonna go that route.

3. 05-22-2012 02:10 AM #3
      that looks pretty slick

Vehicles
      1990 purple G60 + 1992 black VR + 93 black VR
      05-22-2012 02:22 AM #4
      holy crap thats awesome! new find of the year!
      CORRADO LANYARDS CAN BE BOUGHT HERE!...
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/171244440438...84.m1555.l2649

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado 1.8 8V G60 (previously was 1.8 16V KR), '80 MK1 Golf GTI 1.6 8V EG aka "Heron"
      05-22-2012 02:48 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6 EDM View Post
      holy crap thats awesome! new find of the year!
      ^^x2
      Quote Originally Posted by dogger View Post
      ... (Corrado) might be the greatest collection of bad VW ideas ever put into one car.
      My Corrado (sort of) build thread / On Database
      My MK1 build thread
      SpoonFedTuning

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC 2005 Touareg V8 1961 Beetle 1969 Transporter
      05-22-2012 02:57 AM #6
      Incredible, and probably half the price of OEM!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rento_VW View Post
      Needs a real Zender wing.... lower it.

7. Moderator
      Vehicles
      93 Corrado
      05-22-2012 03:38 AM #7
      We need more coincidences like this.
      Thanks for letting us know about the find
      of the year.

8. Member
      05-22-2012 03:48 AM #8
      That really is good to know.

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 03:53 AM #9
      there should def be a parts compatible with corrados thread, this is one of them...

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 03:54 AM #10
      ... ya know like the ford mustang o2 sensor and sh*t...

05-22-2012 03:56 AM #11
      I'm truly glad that it worked out for you, however I wouldn't have cut that corner in hopes of making it on time for a show. I once found myself faced with the same dilemma, however I didn't have much of a choice because the dude already ripped the windshield out, and had no garage to buy myself some time

That is a pretty generic trim that they just carry on hand, the problem is that now there is a lot of caulking thrown in to space the windshield out, as opposed to it sitting in deeper (which is what the original trim was designed to achieve). I'm not sure about you, but I was getting a lot more wind noise as a result, not to mention that it doesn't look as good once you're aware of it. The windshield is no longer sitting at the same angle that it was designed to be at, and I'm no aerodynamics expert, but heaven knows how it's been affected by it.

If you're happy with the results, then all the power to ya. Just giving the other side to the story in case someone else might be considering it. There are always tradeoffs, whether small or big. How big they are is up to each individual to decide. I'm a perfectionist so, to me, it's pretty big.
      Last edited by cata; 05-22-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 03:56 AM #12
      and passat sunroof!... omg there r plenty of things...

Vehicles
      My baby: 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR (OBD2), My daily: 2014 CC R-Line, Wife's ride: 2010 Tiguan S 4Motion
      05-22-2012 08:48 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by cata View Post
      I'm truly glad that it worked out for you, however I wouldn't have cut that corner in hopes of making it on time for a show. I once found myself faced with the same dilemma, however I didn't have much of a choice because the dude already ripped the windshield out, and had no garage to buy myself some time

That is a pretty generic trim that they just carry on hand, the problem is that now there is a lot of caulking thrown in to space the windshield out, as opposed to it sitting in deeper (which is what the original trim was designed to achieve). I'm not sure about you, but I was getting a lot more wind noise as a result, not to mention that it doesn't look as good once you're aware of it. The windshield is no longer sitting at the same angle that it was designed to be at, and I'm no aerodynamics expert, but heaven knows how it's been affected by it.

If you're happy with the results, then all the power to ya. Just giving the other side to the story in case someone else might be considering it. There are always tradeoffs, whether small or big. How big they are is up to each individual to decide. I'm a perfectionist so, to me, it's pretty big.
      There was zero spacing issue. In fact, it fit so perfect that I see even less extra black epoxy on the inside than when the OEM mouldings were used. The glass sits perfect. I drove almost 8 hours total this past weekend, had the windows up and the AC on, and there was no wind noise whatsoever. I also hit the mouldings with some decent pressurized water, and there were no leaks at all. It really does look awesome. Pictures don't do it justice.

I'm also not knocking on OEM parts. Believe me, I'm a perfectionist just like you and the rest of the people here. And I'd always choose OEM before aftermarket. The installers did a dry test fit to make sure it fit right. Had they felt it wouldn't work, they wouldn't have gone through with it. And even after seeing that it worked, they still gave me the final decision on whether to use it or not. I see no tradeoffs, and I'd actually use this moulding again, if I have to replace the windshield in the future. But I can definitely understand your concerns.
      Corrado Autobiography
      Past German cars owned: 1970 BMW 2002, 1987 VW Fox sedan, 2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2003 VW Passat wagon, 2013 VW CC Sport
      Past non-German cars owned: 1990 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Honda Civic EX, 2002 Subaru Outback

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 09:00 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 1956dub View Post
      Incredible, and probably half the price of OEM!!!!
      Yup, only $20. The moulding is actually the aftermarket one for the 98 Civic. The reason they used that is because the OEM moulding for the Civic has a metal wire core, which makes it rigid and would cause waves in the moulding. The Civic glass is slightly larger, so the moulding is longer. The ends of the moulding have to be trimmed to fit, but nothing that is too difficult to handle.
      Corrado Autobiography

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      05-22-2012 09:16 AM #15
      Doing my windshield soon and I just ordered this! (actually 2) one for the nugget yellow.

I have to say, amazing discovery.
      Guru Motorsports / europeein

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 09:18 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      Doing my windshield soon and I just ordered this! (actually 2) one for the nugget yellow.

I have to say, amazing discovery.
      Cool! Just remember, it's the aftermarket Civic moulding, not the OEM Civic moulding... due to the wire metal core.
      Corrado Autobiography

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 09:20 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6W8 View Post
      Cool! Just remember, it's the aftermarket Civic moulding, not the OEM Civic moulding... due to the wire metal core.
      Yep, I actually read the whole 1st post in a new thread. That in of itself is a rarity, especially if it's more than one sentence

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 09:23 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by cata View Post

There really isnt much of a gap unless the installer seats the windshield about a 1/4 inch too low. That throws the top gap way off. And I don't know about you, but when I drive the beast, the last noise I would hear is noise coming off of the windshield trim. My engine sound > any other noise on the car.

Stop splitting hairs and admit that this is a good find.

19. 05-22-2012 09:40 AM #19
      Someone always has to throw a little salt when someone does something a little different on the Vortex.... One more reason why my build is with my car club and not on here....

GREAT FIND, and it does look sooooo much cleaner with the new trim.... I give it a 9/10 when it comes to great finds.....
      Originally Posted by Tk2g60

The style of ones car reflects ones self.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      05-22-2012 11:19 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Kubanbee View Post
      Someone always has to throw a little salt when someone does something a little different on the Vortex....
      Playing Devil's advocate or playing the skeptic is not necessarily a bad thing. But I agree with you that it seems there is just an unwillingness to accept change in this case

..One more reason why my build is with my car club and not on here....
      Not everyone on on the tex is like that. It just seems that a few people that always have negative comments if something does not fit their idea of THE MOLD sometimes outshines the appreciation of the majority. Please post.

To the OP: I think this is a great find and I love seeing different options like this as we are hearing OBSOLETE more and more every day. Now, if we can find a suitable replacement for the lower outside door/window moldings that looks good, we could really start celebrating
      Build: Project sc2020

My G60 now on MS3 | 4Cyl Torque Plate Rental | 02M Mounts

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 11:30 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      Now, if we can find a suitable replacement for the lower outside door/window moldings that looks good, we could really start celebrating
      oooooh is this a challenge? I'm gonna take this one on for you guys!!!

05-22-2012 11:41 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6W8 View Post
      The glass sits perfect.
      I have no doubt that the install had a good finish, and it actually does look like a top notch job from the pics. After seeing other Corrados around though, I always regretted it not sitting the way it should. That's just me though, what's important is that you don't have any regrets from it.

Quote Originally Posted by HavokRuels View Post
      Stop splitting hairs and admit that this is a good find.
      NO! haha
      Looks like the OP got a much more professional experience. I got ripped off on both my Corrados for windshield installs, hence I'm sick of pi$$ poor installers. The first one was the last min molding suggestion and the second one, the bastard refused to clean up all the rust underneath, despite him promising to do so. Got into a huge argument over it, but at the end of the day, can't really drive off without a windshield The first time it was in my parking stall and the second was at a shop. I know it looks like splitting hairs, but windshields are a sensitive topic for me I couldn't sit around seeing people ignorantly disregarding the fact that there IS a tradeoff, as with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      Playing Devil's advocate or playing the skeptic is not necessarily a bad thing. But I agree with you that it seems there is just an unwillingness to accept change in this case

Not everyone on on the tex is like that. It just seems that a few people that always have negative comments if something does not fit their idea of THE MOLD sometimes outshines the appreciation of the majority. Please post.
      Nice to see someone with a more open mind

Vehicles
      92' Corrado
      05-22-2012 11:45 AM #23
      Great find thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by sdezego
      Now, if we can find a suitable replacement for the lower outside door/window moldings that looks good, we could really start celebrating
      And roof moldings

oooooh is this a challenge? I'm gonna take this one on for you guys!!!
      "A sudden provocation does not make me an ill-tempered man. It shows what an ill-tempered man I am."

05-22-2012 11:49 AM #24
      Someone always has to throw a little salt when someone does something a little different on the Vortex.... One more reason why my build is with my car club and not on here....
      If you can't keep an open mind and handle different opinions, then a small car club is deff for you.

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 11:53 AM #25
      lets keep this thread positive guys

Vehicles
      91 Corrado 2.0l 16v on MS3X, Parked like Jurassic... 83 Cabby 1.8l 16v... 88 Powerplay XLT-185
      05-22-2012 12:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mattrip View Post
      And roof moldings

I have been pondering a solution for this, but in an extruded aluminum and readily available rubber strip that slides in, which could be replaced on the cheap in the future. I think it would be badass, however tooling would probably kill it, they'd most likely still be about the same price, guess we may have to go this route or another when the OE ones are NLA. Thankfully my window and roof seals are new, but sitting in the intense South FLorida sun

To the OP, seal looks killer, great find!
      Quote Originally Posted by crazynorweegian View Post
      Good luck, might want to get vaccinated for "while-I-am-in-there" syndrome.
      tek-euro.com SpoonFedTuning

my Corrado's specs on corrado-database / My Corrado Build Thread / My Cabby Build Thread / My Boat Build: 18' Powerplay w/5.7l V8

Vehicles
      1993 vr6 Corrado, 2000 vr6 Jetta(sold) 1991 g60(sold) 93 BMW 318ti(sold)
      05-22-2012 04:01 PM #27
      This is super awesome hopefully I can return the 3 pieces I already bought or get store credit for them and get my roof moldings instead. This is a great thing to know cause I spent around 250 for the 3 oe pieces I already bought
      Wtb: fmic and piping vr6 Corrado specific please PM me
      WTB: Estyles Headers
      My build thread-->The Gift and The Curse
      If you live in PA and own a Corrado click here-> Pennsylvania's Corrado's
      Shop Spoonfed Tuning for your Corrado essentials

Vehicles
      Corrado SLC, Audi A8 QUATTRO
      05-22-2012 04:02 PM #28
      Looked great at the show.
      |Corrado SLC 2.9LVR6|Corrado Keyless Entry | A8 "Grape Ape" | SPOONFEDTUNING |FOURSEASONTUNING|DUBNUTZ|
      Quote Originally Posted by pileofredparts View Post
      Do you guys remember the time that Ryan kid started mixing and matching rods and end caps and then his motor wouldnt turn over? I do

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      05-22-2012 04:10 PM #29
      Wow, great find. My windshield is nearing the end of it's life with several chips in it. This is a great option.

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 98 Subaru Legacy
      05-22-2012 04:17 PM #30
      Wow, thanks for sharing. Just got a chip in my windshield and was dreading the cost of the molding. That looks cleaner than oem and at a reasonable price.

31. 05-22-2012 04:23 PM #31
      Cata,
      1) Let me start by just saying I apologize if my comment might have hurt your feelings or sererly wronged you in some way.

2) No need to bring my "little" car club, which you have no idea which I am affiliated into this anymore than is necessary. When I said that I didnt mean to bash or talk smack about the "RATHER LARGE" performance club that you must be apart of by any means. But if you would like more information on the club I am affiliated with, I would be more than happy to supply you with it.

3) Keeping an open mind is what I was doing when I posted it, sorry you in my opinion threw salt at something different and got "called out " for it. You opinion is just that.... Your opinion and its always good when people can express themselves in a constructive way.

Your statement (lets take a look at the high points)

cata
      I'm truly glad that it worked out for you, however I wouldn't have cut that corner in hopes of making it on time for a show. SALT..... Cut Corners?? Most would call that mod a solid 5 star win

That is a pretty generic trim that they just carry on hand, the problem is that now there is a lot of caulking thrown in to space the windshield out, as opposed to it sitting in deeper. SALT...... HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THAT, you wouldnt cut corners to try it....that is what you said right???

I'm not sure about you, but I was getting a lot more wind noise as a result, not to mention that it doesn't look as good once you're aware of it. The windshield is no longer sitting at the same angle that it was designed to be at.SALT.......Looks great to me and I noticed it from the picture posted & How do you know the windshield is sitting at a different angle??? you can tell from those pictures???? REALLY!!!!!

I'm no aerodynamics expert, but heaven knows how it's been affected by it. If you arent a Aerodynamics expert then its probably a good idea to just leave them comment in your head..or just ask if he has any problems with it..

If you're happy with the results, then all the power to ya. Just giving the other side to the story in case someone else might be considering it.SALT.......What other side of the story did you actually give during this???

There are always tradeoffs, whether small or big. How big they are is up to each individual to decide. I'm a perfectionist so, to me, it's pretty big SALT......In what way does this not look like a well done and very very clean install that you might find a problem with it Mr. Perfectionist???

I appreciate constructive criticism but this just was not that....I believe they call that (Point and Match Sir)
      Very sorry for the "THREAD JACKING".... Once again great work and thank you very much for sharing this.
      Originally Posted by Tk2g60

The style of ones car reflects ones self.

Vehicles
      1990 20v Corrado(soon), 2001 Outback 250k strong!
      05-22-2012 04:30 PM #32
      Where are you guys getting yours? This is just in time for my build.
      Women are gentle and soft, but they hit things...

20v AEB Corrado Build thread.
      Parting a B4 ABA Passat?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      92 verde rado gernade(dd),90Q 20v, red rado 24v build
      05-22-2012 05:16 PM #33
      I have say it really look good. Sometime different is always better.there nothing wrong finding cheaper route as long it works and the outcome is close or surpass oem design. Not all VW design are perfect.

Vehicles
      '93SLC '94SLC
      05-22-2012 05:29 PM #34
      Kubanbee, relax my friend. It appears you are reading more into what cata wrote than is necessary.

It's someone else's view and just adds to the discussion, which is what these forums are all about. No need to get so worked up over it.

I could never do it this way, my OCD wouldn't let me. So what. Kudos to the person that tried and discovered it worked out great for them and was kind enough to post the results for others to share.
      Dak
      I drive waaay too fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Vehicles
      05-22-2012 05:33 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by chc-rado View Post
      I have say it really look good. Sometime different is always better.there nothing wrong finding cheaper route as long it works and the outcome is close or surpass oem design. Not all VW design are perfect.
      x2 ^ and in my opinion, the OEM is cheap and looks even cheaper next to this stuff.

Like a friend of mine once said: If I wanted reliability, I wouldn't be driving a Corrado. Not too much on the Corrado is bullet proof and much of it was flawed,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast