Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Exhaust systems for K04's

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI
      05-22-2012 03:22 PM #1
      I have a friend running a K04 on his GTI who is considering switching back to the OEM catback to free up a few bucks. I think its a horrible idea because in order to support those power levels, you want to have a nice open exhaust system and i'm also afraid of the effect that higher EGT's will have on his turbo... His argument is that catbacks are only worth about 5whp so it shouldn't have a big impact on overall performance

What are your thoughts on this?

Vehicles
      2012 VW GLI K04
      05-22-2012 03:41 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by munky18t View Post
      I have a friend running a K04 on his GTI who is considering switching back to the OEM catback to free up a few bucks. I think its a horrible idea because in order to support those power levels, you want to have a nice open exhaust system and i'm also afraid of the effect that higher EGT's will have on his turbo... His argument is that catbacks are only worth about 5whp so it shouldn't have a big impact on overall performance

Sub'd.
      2012 GLI DSG
      UNITRONIC TUNED K04 - Carbonio intake - UNITRONIC TBE - APR FMIC - Neuspeed TOP - HPA SHS Coilovers - HPA Red Motor Mount

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW GTI 4dr Sunroof/Nav
      05-22-2012 03:50 PM #3

Cat back is not required for K04, and no damage will result from using the stock catback with K04 as long as your friend has a downpipe.

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta GLI
      05-22-2012 03:57 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GOAPR.COM
      While an APR RSC Performance Exhaust System and APR high flow exhaust software is recommended for maximum power, if you're in a situation where running a high flow exhaust is not permissible APR has developed software specifically for use with your OEM exhaust system. You may switch between high flow exhaust software and OEM exhaust software free of charge at any time.
      From the APR website, it sounds as if you need to run a different tune in order to run the OEM exhaust... which leads me to think that you shouldn't be running the normal K04 tune on the OEM exhaust

Vehicles
      2000 C/W Jetta, 2005 XC90, 2010 CW GTI, 2010 Maxima SV, 2014 Durango, 2008 Yamaha R6
      05-22-2012 04:26 PM #5
      From the APR website, it sounds as if you need to run a different tune in order to run the OEM exhaust... which leads me to think that you shouldn't be running the normal K04 tune on the OEM exhaust
      That is true, but as NoRegrets said if you have a downpipe then your ok. The downpipe is where all the power is freed. Anything from the catback is mainly for sound. This is how mine is setup I have a catless DP with the factory catback. The difference in performance is minimal if any as long as he has a downpipe. However, the purpose of the tune is if your going to be running the OEM downpipe aswell as the catback i.e. the entire OEM exhaust. As long as he has a DP with/without a cat he will be fine, just things are going to be a little quieter.
      Drive it like you stole it!!!
      XBL GT: MasterNele 03