Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Passing SMOG in California

1. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Mystic Cobra, 90' G60, 03' CBR 600RR
      05-22-2012 04:49 PM #1
      This post is really just so people know there is a huge difference between 49 state Cats and 50 state CARB cats. My Rado passed Smog two years ago just fine with a NOS cat from my shop's parts supplier. I measured at 710ppm and the max allowed was 800ppm. Fast forward two years and California has lowered the acceptable numbers again, down to under 600ppm for NOX. I failed, this led me on the warpath to make the Corrado pass without replacing the cat. I tuned the car to a running state that was cleaner than it was when purchased new. Still not good enough. The fix, a CARB legal pre-OBDII catalytic converter. My NOX dropped from 710ppm to 3ppm. HELLO! Now I can finally start the body work on this car and lay some fresh coats of Nugget Yellow.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      05-23-2012 06:36 PM #2
      Glad you got it to pass but damn. I know that people rag on CA (I grew up there) but I am so glad that I'm not living down there. It's got to be such a pain to be a car enthusiast with such strict standards.

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 97 Triple White New Beetle 2.5 6SP Auto (JUA)
      05-23-2012 07:15 PM #3
      Corrado VR6 cats rock. They're ceramic and still plentiful. I just tortured mine by running it on full pig rich mode through two tanks of fuel. I had a broken MFA that caused the condition on my 90 G60. They hold up great on Corrado VRT too.

¡¡ opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      1985 Golf GL with a 2.0l 16v, 1990 Corrado G60, 2011 Jetta SE
      05-26-2012 02:06 AM #4
      Going through exactly that with my Corrado.
      Everything checks out on my motor. Every sensor, timing, no vacuum leaks, no exhaust leaks, and every fuel injector was checked for consistency.

Mine does fine on the dyne until I reach 15mph then the NOX goes over the limit.

Currently replacing the Catalytic Converter.
      1985 MKII Golf GL with 2.0l 16v
      1990 Corrado G60 TEC 2RS
      2011 MKVI Jetta SE
      corradog60project.blogspot.com
      mkiigolfproject.blogspot.com

Vehicles
      VWs suck. Try Yugos!
      06-03-2012 07:43 PM #5
      Well, something has to be said about the fact that the op is in a enhanced area, which has stricter standards than say, a non enhanced, two speed idle test area. 90 percent of the time we have to get the consumer to precondition the cat temp by driving on the freeway. When the cats lit, then your numbers get lower.
      Deutsche Motor und Zylinderkopf
      805 Central Coast Typ 53 i
      Corrado Snobs eat ++++ and die!
      Powered By Sunnen, Sioux,and Winona!
      Karmann Karosserie für immer!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Audi
      06-09-2012 05:49 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by vwuberalles2003 View Post
      Well, something has to be said about the fact that the op is in a enhanced area, which has stricter standards than say, a non enhanced, two speed idle test area. 90 percent of the time we have to get the consumer to precondition the cat temp by driving on the freeway. When the cats lit, then your numbers get lower.

Very true, CA emissions is a hurdle I'm not looking forward to.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado G60, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 1986 8v Scirocco, 2013 CC Lux
      06-10-2012 10:24 PM #7
      Having the same problem and I replaced my cat 3 years ago. Did you use a Corrado VR6 cat?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      96' Mystic Cobra, 90' G60, 03' CBR 600RR
      06-11-2012 01:49 PM #8
      Hey guys, I have a follow up on the info for the cat I used. Magnaflow 36915 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter - CARB Compliant is what went on my car. I bought it from Amazon. With shipping, it rang up at $240. You can just buy the cat and weld it up if you want but, it doesn't cost much less than the direct fit. California's Smog laws are what they are, if you play by their rules, you'll be fine. My 21 year old Corrado is running awesome with all the emissions parts intact, all day, everyday, not just when she's in the mood. There really aren't many Smog related parts on these cars to worry about anyway. You have a 3-way Cat, computer and O2 sensor. If all that is intact along with a working fuel system and no vacuum leaks, you're good. I hope to see you guys all out on the road. We seem to be a shrinking community.

Vehicles
      1990 Corrado G60, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 1986 8v Scirocco, 2013 CC Lux
      06-11-2012 02:19 PM #9
      Thanks for the info.

Vehicles
      VWs suck. Try Yugos!
      06-12-2012 05:51 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by JazzBlu#93 View Post
      Hey guys, I have a follow up on the info for the cat I used. Magnaflow 36915 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter - CARB Compliant is what went on my car. I bought it from Amazon. With shipping, it rang up at $240. You can just buy the cat and weld it up if you want but, it doesn't cost much less than the direct fit. California's Smog laws are what they are, if you play by their rules, you'll be fine. My 21 year old Corrado is running awesome with all the emissions parts intact, all day, everyday, not just when she's in the mood. There really aren't many Smog related parts on these cars to worry about anyway. You have a 3-way Cat, computer and O2 sensor. If all that is intact along with a working fuel system and no vacuum leaks, you're good. I hope to see you guys all out on the road. We seem to be a shrinking community.
      Right on! the unlucky ones are the obd 1 corrado vr6 california vin titled cars, since the egr valve is NLA! (the one with the sensor). The real trick is keeping the cat monolith lit, which is easier with the newer housings. 53i forever

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Passat Wolfsburg 2.5L, 1990 Corrado G60
      08-10-2012 04:22 PM #11
      Thanks for the heads up. Was supposed to get my corrado smogged this year but due to coolant leaks had to put it on non-op till I can fix it (stupid plastic flanges! ). Anyways just looked at my song results from 2010 and my NOX was 661. Did you also replace your O2 sensor?

Noticed Techtonics has a CARB legal cat now...wonder if it's a rebranded Magnaflow thats a bit pricier?

12. 08-12-2012 01:09 AM #12
      never had an issue with nox and an old cat.

you guys need to check your ignition timing and seafoam your motor.

Vehicles
      VWs suck. Try Yugos!
      08-16-2012 01:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
      never had an issue with nox and an old cat.

you guys need to check your ignition timing and seafoam your motor.
      sea foam + g60 charger seals = 6psi. just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it cant! Rather than use seafoam, just change oil frequently and change your coolant. seafoam is very overrated, and not suggested for use in an catalytic converter car, since when combusted it emits lead and heavy metals into the air and your cat.

There are other factors which contribute to high nox, which many wouldn't suspect until they
      actually do the research. Sometimes the winter blend to fall or spring blend change period (gasoline octane quality and detergents) especially in cali can contribute to the nox number at load; if the guy who non op'd his car had coolant leaks/ problems, that would certainly contribute to nox at load; remember that exhaust valve and chamber temps are why there are egr valves, to cool down the front, and reduce nox at high load . Since g60s don't have egr, when they are in enhanced areas they fail ASM tests quite often, as do vr6 cars ( which do have egr ) for nox.
      Either way The cat cant compensate for a mixture after a certain point.

if everything mechanical checks out in spec check the ecm grounds at the battery terminal, make sure they are shiny and bright and tight as f.
      Last edited by vwuberalles2003; 08-16-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Vehicles
      VWs suck. Try Yugos!
      08-16-2012 02:07 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by amerikaner79 View Post
      Thanks for the heads up. Was supposed to get my corrado smogged this year but due to coolant leaks had to put it on non-op till I can fix it (stupid plastic flanges! ). Anyways just looked at my song results from 2010 and my NOX was 661. Did you also replace your O2 sensor?

Noticed Techtonics has a CARB legal cat now...wonder if it's a rebranded Magnaflow thats a bit pricier?

Magnaflow is actually known as car-sound, when it comes to catalysts. Theyre no different than before, CA law just required that obd 2 cats are marked specifically if theyre legal for CA emissions applications and to have the obd 2 stamp on the exterior. the "corrado vr6" cat is actually a passat catalyst. its not a 1h number, for instance on my vr6 gti, its a passat number. it would just be more expensive and harder to find if everyone knew it was a passat catalyst..

15. 08-16-2012 04:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vwuberalles2003 View Post
      sea foam + g60 charger seals = 6psi. just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it cant! Rather than use seafoam, just change oil frequently and change your coolant. seafoam is very overrated, and not suggested for use in an catalytic converter car, since when combusted it emits lead and heavy metals into the air and your cat.

There are other factors which contribute to high nox, which many wouldn't suspect until they
      actually do the research. Sometimes the winter blend to fall or spring blend change period (gasoline octane quality and detergents) especially in cali can contribute to the nox number at load; if the guy who non op'd his car had coolant leaks/ problems, that would certainly contribute to nox at load; remember that exhaust valve and chamber temps are why there are egr valves, to cool down the front, and reduce nox at high load . Since g60s don't have egr, when they are in enhanced areas they fail ASM tests quite often, as do vr6 cars ( which do have egr ) for nox.
      Either way The cat cant compensate for a mixture after a certain point.

if everything mechanical checks out in spec check the ecm grounds at the battery terminal, make sure they are shiny and bright and tight as f.
      so what kind of idiot would pour seafoam into the charger?

i work at a smog station and a machine shop. seafoam is proven both with cleaning combustion chambers and numbers.

ask me how i know.

Vehicles
      VWs suck. Try Yugos!
      08-17-2012 02:17 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
      so what kind of idiot would pour seafoam into the charger?

i work at a smog station and a machine shop. seafoam is proven both with cleaning combustion chambers and numbers.

ask me how i know.
      I'm not worried about what you "know". If you understand basic chemistry, and understand the chemical processes inside your engine, you'd understand why seafoam is bad for a catalytic converter engine..If you can read, look at the label on the can of seafoam; it says explicitly on it not to use on a catalytic converter equipped engine- its actually not legal for use in CA because it contains heavy metals which are oxidized in the combustion chamber and released into the atmosphere. If you think seafoam is good just mix napthate and kerosene. ( that's what you're getting anyway and is 80 % cheaper) But either way, you deposit the seafoam in a number of different ways, all of which expose the oil of the crankcase to this solvent, which is corrosive to the g laders seals, which eventually get oil on them, either through blow by or the boost return system or the oil feed line. The oil feed line can also be weakened by the solvents in the seafoam since the line is constructed of extruded ptfe liner, not nitrile hose. Either way the seafoam will weaken nitrile and ptfe liners.

If you want to further C 0ck measure with vocational credibility, I work at a referee site, so top that! Unless you can back up what you say with science, don't confront logic with anecdotal evidence. its not very rational.