Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Split Window Conversion Kit

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1969 VW Beetle
      11-04-2002 11:18 AM #1
      Are you guys familiar with a Split Window Kit? How do you install it, and how accurate can it be?

2. 11-04-2002 02:58 PM #2
      the ones i've seen are made of fiber glass and just need to be glassed in but i don't know how they hold up. you still don't get the splitty type of dash board so it seems rather pointless to me to do it IMHO. if you can i'd find a beyond repair splitty and take the dash and split roof section out to replace yours and that would look rather nice and be all metal.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1969 VW Beetle
      11-04-2002 03:58 PM #3
      not that i am lucky enough to own a splitty.

i was thinking more of customizing a brazilian bug. you see, the brazilian bug has pre-65 size side windows, making it ideal for a "split" replica, instead of using early model german bugs. i do not have any problems with the dash though since it's going to be a custom.

i don't have a brazilian bug yet, but hopefully, if i find a job, i might purchase one soon, and i'm just checking if the "split replica" project i have in mind can be feasible.

do these fibreglass split kits include the rear vents as well? can fibreglass effectively bond with metal? i am assuming that you will have to cut out some sheet metal from the rear, will this have any problems with the body shells overall rigidity?

damn, this image of a shiny red split replica custom with lowered sprint star wheels have been popping in my dreams lately...

4. 11-04-2002 06:01 PM #4
      i think you'll be able to bond the glass to the metal good enough but i'm not really sure how it will hold up to the constant twisting and your correct in wondering about the rigidity of the whole piece after you install it as every part of the car is designed for it to be a certain rigidity and by doing this mod you will certainly reduce this but to what extent i'm not sure. the ones i've seen do have the splitty type holes in them but like i said earlier, find a old split roof section and weld it in, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Vehicles
      87 Audi quattro, 94 VW Polo GT, 01 Ford Mondeo wagon
      11-04-2002 07:44 PM #5
      VW Trends had a feature on how to install a Split Kit back in the mid 90's, and by knowing them, I guess they've ran that feature a couple more times since then

In the kit they installed the vents were included, and I seem to remember that they installed it in a 65-up Bug with the bigger windows.

"YOL∞". - Hindu cliché.