Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Man 3 filming in NC

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-23-2012 12:31 PM #1
      I couldn't find an "official" Iron Man 3 thread so I'll just make a new one.

My in-laws hired a guy to do some work on their house, he's one of the larger home builders in the Wilmington area. Apparently, his son was supposed to be there helping but he was hired to build sets for Iron Man 3 in Rose Hill and Wilmington. My in-laws live 10 minutes from Rose Hill in the town of Wallace.

He's building Pepper Pott's house which, according to him, will be flooded during the movie and Iron Man has to save her. He is also building a replica of Airforce One for the movie.

I thought that was pretty cool. We were just down there last weekend, I wish we had known.

My wife found this link, which has photos of the scouted location - http://wilmington.reel-scout.com/loc...8699&g=0&cid=3

"description:
      a look at the old downtown/business district of Rose Hill prior to Caged Heat/Iron Man 3 production"

Vehicles
      a van
      05-23-2012 01:58 PM #2
      looks like a fairly deserted street/town, perfect for a movie set
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-23-2012 05:06 PM #3
      Yea, Rose Hill (and Duplin County in general) is a pretty depressed area.

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      05-23-2012 06:48 PM #4
      I think they started filming end of last year.
      i live in Charlotte and last fall i had heard people saying they saw camera crews and the like in Wilmington and rumors it was for Iron man 3.
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

5. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      07-16-2012 03:39 PM #5

Quote Originally Posted by The Inquisitr
      The new footage revealed a few secrets about the new Iron Man film. For one, it confirmed that Sir Ben Kingsley would be playing the villain in the movie. Kingsley will be playing Mandarin in the new film.

According to Entertainment Wise, the Iron Man 3 footage also showed Guy Pearce in an Iron Man type suit and gave a sneak peek at the highly anticipated and mysterious Iron Patriot. Director Shane Black revealed that Don Cheadle will wear the Iron Patriot suit at some point during the film.
      http://www.inquisitr.com/277736/iron...-at-comic-con/

Vehicles
      95R Miata
      07-19-2012 11:34 AM #6
      Yeah, Downey has already been spotted all over town. Everyone you talk to seems to have a story...

Vehicles
      E46 M3, XJ Cherokee
      07-19-2012 03:31 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      He's building Pepper Pott's house which, according to him, will be flooded during the movie and Iron Man has to save her. He is also building a replica of Airforce One for the movie.
      Whoa whoa SPOILER ALERT. Thanks for ruining the movie for me.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      FS:2004 Passat 1.8t 4motion; 2008 GTI
      07-21-2012 07:58 PM #8
      Im going to try and get in as an extra. The facebook page for the casting agency periodically asks for people ...hopefully I fit what they need at some point.

9. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-23-2012 07:14 AM #9
      Teaser below.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo
      Entertainment Weekly shared the first image of Sir Ben Kingsley dressed as the villainous Mandarin in "Iron Man 3." Kingsley, known for playing (really) good guys like Gandhi, is going evil in a major way for next summer's blockbuster.

Like most comic book baddies, The Mandarin has a rather convoluted history. According to Marvel's official site, he was born in China around 1920 and raised by his aunt following the death of his parents. But unlike Peter Parker, The Mandarin took the bad-guy route. After being ousted from power following the Chinese Communist revolution, he went about seeking invincibility by other means. He found it in an ancient spaceship equipped with ten mystical rings. Not surprisingly, he didn't use the rings for good.

"Iron Man 3" will give The Mandarin a different backstory. Kevin Feige, president of Marvel Studios, told EW: "A lot of this movie is about characters going back into the shadows for various reasons and characters who have been in the shadows coming out and into the light for the first time. It is Tony [Stark] who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don't mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we'll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand."

The choice to cast Kingsley as a villain of Chinese ancestry must have raised a few eyebrows, but the filmmakers are aiming to defuse any controversy by making him more multi-cultural. "It's less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end," Feige told EW.

There's another question that bears asking: Will moviegoers be down with seeing the man who won an Oscar for playing Gandhi blow up Tony Stark's mansion? Something tells us they will. As skilled as Kingsley is at playing good guys, he may be even better at playing villains. And he knows it. He's voiced his desire to play a bad guy opposite 007. "I would like to make it known, on this program, loud and clear, that I would absolutely embrace with all five of my arms being a Bond villain," Kingsley said on radio several years back.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-23-2012 07:27 AM #10
      The official trailer is up on http://www.apple.com/trailers

11. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      10-23-2012 07:28 AM #11

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      10-23-2012 08:24 AM #12
      Looks a hell of a lot better than Iron Man 2.
      Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

Vehicles
      '03 VW Jetta GLS; '08 GSX-R 750; '13 F150
      10-23-2012 10:10 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post

HOLY SH!T!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      Sportage
      10-23-2012 05:56 PM #14
      Based on the trailer (w/ no sound, I know, lame)... my thoughts:

War Machine/Iron Patriot steps in when Tony goes off the deep end. The start of the trailer, Tony looks drunk, not dazed.

Pearce's character definitely steals a suit. Possibly kidnaps Pepper. Probably why Tony has the "telekinetic" interface with the suit shown in the trailer. That way, no one but Tony can wear it.

There was mention earlier about Potts asking what happened to the other 48 suits (or whatever that number is). Tony has gone through quite a number of suits.

The suits exploding in the garage look to be a self-destruct reaction to the attack on the Stark house, not a result of the attack.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      10-23-2012 08:13 PM #15
      The choice to cast Kingsley as a villain of Chinese ancestry must have raised a few eyebrows, but the filmmakers are aiming to defuse any controversy by making him more multi-cultural. "It's less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end," Feige told EW.
      Well...I suppose it's better than making Galactus a frigging storm cloud.
      Esi ϟ Disi

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      10-24-2012 05:29 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Minker17 View Post
      Looks a hell of a lot better than Iron Man 2.

Vehicles
      10-24-2012 07:18 PM #17
      Terrence Howard is somewhere kicking himself for deciding not to do part 2.

Vehicles
      Stage 2 CC
      10-24-2012 07:23 PM #18
      Terrance Howard is a *** as well.

19. 10-25-2012 02:57 AM #19
      The first trail of Iron Man 3 is AWESOME!!
      Can't wait for the movie!

BTW: Is the director a fan of Christopher Nolan??

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-25-2012 11:32 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sizzla View Post
      Terrence Howard is somewhere kicking himself for deciding not to do part 2.
      I read it was contract disputes, not him just not wanting to do it?

Vehicles
      10-25-2012 11:47 AM #21
      I read it was contract disputes, not him just not wanting to do it?
      I'm sure it wasn't him being a diva, no doubt about that.

I would've probably taken the pay cut for the second film but make it up somewhere else. Next film or any kind of spin off.

I can see if it was a schedule conflict but I haven't seen him in anything since the first Ironman. I actually like Howard as an actor to so I would've liked to see him in Ironman 2 kicking butt!!

Vehicles
      Bagged R32T
      10-25-2012 12:20 PM #22
      I like him better in the first than I did Don Cheadle in the second.

10-25-2012 12:37 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Pearce's character definitely steals a suit. Possibly kidnaps Pepper. Probably why Tony has the "telekinetic" interface with the suit shown in the trailer. That way, no one but Tony can wear it.
      His character in the comics is the one who creates the virus that gives Tony the Extremis ability, but we'll have to see how much that changes for the movie.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      10-25-2012 01:52 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by SSj4G60 View Post
      His character in the comics is the one who creates the virus that gives Tony the Extremis ability, but we'll have to see how much that changes for the movie.
      ok. i'm not up to date on the comic canon. never read 'em.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-02-2013 12:02 PM #25
      It opens tonight!

The local Alamo in Winchester is doing a marathon starting in 2 hours with Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers 3-D and finishing with Iron Man 3 3-D at midnight. I should have taken off work.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      05-02-2013 12:16 PM #26
      It opens tonight!

The local Alamo in Winchester is doing a marathon starting in 2 hours with Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Avengers 3-D and finishing with Iron Man 3 3-D at midnight. I should have taken off work.
      no love for the Hulk?

Read an article and Robert's looking to move on from Iron Man; A2 might be the last time he dons the suit.

Future movies can write it in easy enough: Fury: "Tony's in the Mid East dealing with some insurgents." Steve: "What is it with that guy? It's like he doesn't even want to be here." Zing!
      Last edited by GreenandChrome; 05-02-2013 at 12:20 PM.

05-02-2013 04:17 PM #27
      Im seeing it Sunday in IMAX 3D, cant wait!

Vehicles
      KITT 2000
      05-02-2013 08:00 PM #28
      saw it.. it was pretty good. definitely the last one...I think
      Any VWs made after 92 are usually only good for drive train donors.

Vehicles
      2012 London Oyster Card
      05-03-2013 03:30 AM #29
      It has been out in the UK for over a week so I saw it last weekend and thought it was pretty entertaining. Ben Kingsley was awesome and a funny joke about Croydon in there, which for you non-London residents is a south London area that is not the nicest part of town, and just happens to be where my wife's office is so I know about it more than I should.

Anyway good action and good humor which is what an Iron Man film is all about

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 07 Honda Fit
      05-03-2013 01:10 PM #30
      I saw it on Tuesday at a preview screening. The 3D was annoying. Dim picture, eye strain, and motion was blurry. I could barely follow the climactic fight with all of the suits you see in the trailer.

RDJ brings the sassy, as always. Don Cheadle was solid. Gwyneth Paltrow was just there. They didn't give her much to do.

SPOILERS and amateur critique: I felt that the Mark 42 armor was kind of annoying throughout the movie. It would alternatively work or break or run out of energy at random times and seemed to just be an easy way out of a scene instead of writing better story. He couldn't recharge it in the kid's shop, but later on he's recharging it with a car battery? It was all over the place.

I didn't like how they gave Extremis to a bunch of random soldiers. I felt like that cheapened the power of Extremis. In the comic story, it was given to a single guy who kicked Tony's ass, so he had to go and hack his own special version of Extremis that allowed him to use his suit at the speed of thought, which allowed him to defeat the villain. The movie's use of Extremis just allowed soldiers to sort of heat up and regenerate limbs. I understand they weren't going to make it exactly like the comic, but I feel it could have been handled better.

However, I did enjoy the scene where Tony fights his way out with pieces of the Mark 42 armor showing up at random times. That was a fun bit.

His PTSD was sort of hand-wavey dismissed by the end of the movie, but I did like how it wrapped up with Tony obviously regaining his sense of identity. You know he'll be back.

The end credits sequence with the 70s action music was AWESOME. The after-credits scene was cute.

Despite my critique, overall I liked the movie and thought it was generally pretty fun. I'm going to take my wife to see it tomorrow in 2D.

05-03-2013 01:19 PM #31
      Considering I've never followed these movies at all

Ben Kingsley is hilariously brilliant, I understand the appeal of Downey Jr. , the 3D wasnt really neccessary, but that's the business, its didnt feel like 2 hours;which is typically a good sign.

Definitely a movie to see in a theatre.
      Brazil 2014

Vehicles
      Golf R32
      05-04-2013 02:13 PM #32
      Kinda disappointed in what the Mandarin turned out to be, I never read the comics... is he fake in the comics too?
      Official OG .:R32 Owners Club Member

Vehicles
      1991 GTI 16v, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
      05-04-2013 05:12 PM #33
      I think we need to have ***SPOOILER ALERTTS****

I'm glad the story went the way it did. From the trailers, I had a hard time seeing how a character like Mandarin would work out. The way the story was told was perfect. Loved the movie.. the last scenes were amazing.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      05-06-2013 09:49 AM #34
      I enjoyed it, watched it in plain-old 2D and it was good the way it was. I enjoyed the fact that its more of a tale of the Tony Stark and less of an Iron Man(though whatever Iron Man was in it was good ol' nerd porn...). And for whatever reason it seems to be a funnier movie.

I think the appeal of this series is that he is clearly a geek triumphing over stuff...which probably appeals to the fanbase.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-06-2013 10:03 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by DarkNeo View Post
      Posted f'ing spoilers
      What the hell is wrong with you? Ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast