VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Caddy Escalade in 2014: Rap Image Has Turned Customers Away

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-23-2012 06:21 PM #1
      Interesting stat on how detrimental the Rap connection has been to Escalades sales/image. According to Caddy, for every one customer that purchased the Escalade because of Rap image, 4 customers walked away because of the Rap connection. I'm sure Caddy doesn't regret the lift in image and profits that the Escalade brought to the brand. It will be interesting to see how Caddy tailors the new Escalade to NOT draw the attention of Rap culture. I would definitely like to see the Escalade become less superficial and less "bling-bling".

From The Detroit Bureau:

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012...urce=pulsenews

General Motors has reversed course and will bring an all-new version of that hip-hop segment favorite, the Cadillac Escalade, to market in early 2014.

Worried that the big luxury SUV might hurt the updated image Caddy is trying to craft for itself – and questioning demand for full-sized SUVs as fuel prices skyrocketed — the maker had been ready to pull the plug on the ‘Slade.

However, GM decided the Escalade was simply too profitable to let die, and will now turn out a new model sharing platforms with its next-generation Chevrolet and GMC full-size trucks.

The Escalade built a significant market among hip-hoppers and sports stars, something Cadillac initially embraced, but “We were finding that for everyone turned on by that image there were four (potential luxury buyers) who were turned,” a senior Caddy official told TheDetroitBureau.com.

Cadillac is in the launch mode for several key new products, the entry-lux ATS and the premium-luxury XTS, that the maker hopes will dramatically reposition the brand as a more credible competitor to the likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi. To some, the Escalade simply didn’t work into that equation.

Complicating matters, the recent run-up in fuel prices – with many experts predicting gas could reach $5 a gallon in the next year or two – led some GM planners to project that the full-size SUV market, in general, might dry up.

But recent sales data show that while smaller and more fuel-efficient cars and crossover are gaining ground, there remain plenty of buyers for products like the Escalade and other full-size SUVs.

Notably, GM will not follow the path favored by many of its competitors, such as Mercedes, Ford and Nissan, who have migrated many of their larger SUVs to car-based crossover architectures. The new Escalade will remain a body-on-frame vehicle built on the basic chassis that will be used for the new Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks.

During a media drive of the new XTS, GM officials refused to discuss the timing of the new Escalade but the betting is it will emerge as a 2015 model in early 2014. Meanwhile, GM isn’t talking about powertrains but to help address fuel economy concerns, hybrid and diesel options are thought to be in the mix.

For GM the bottom line was what ruled in the Escalade strategy, the big ute simply generating margins that were too significant to walk away from.

The next-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups, meanwhile, which were delayed by the 2009 GM bankruptcy, represent one of GM’s most important launches to come for the 2013 model-year.

Cadillac isn’t the only maker that foresees a future for full-sized luxury SUVs. Lincoln has confirmed that it will have an all-new version of its own Navigator model by mid-decade.

Vehicles
      2002 SVT Focus, 2000 Focus ZX3, 1966 Cortina, 1987 Dodge Charger, 1998 Tacoma, 1983 Plymouth Scamp
      05-23-2012 06:23 PM #2
      I'd believe it. My biggest beef with the Escalade (besides being a tarted up Tahoe) is the owners.

Vehicles
      e46
      05-23-2012 06:23 PM #3
      oh they finally found out the the vagabond scoundrel followers of that culture don't have money? who would have ever have guessed...
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Prior Vehicles: MkIV GLI

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      05-23-2012 06:26 PM #4
      Wonder if they're considering a name change for the Escalade - both to bring it in line with the alphanumeric names of the rest of the lineup, as well as to distance the new model from the bling-bling rapper crowd of the existing one.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-23-2012 06:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      oh they finally found out the the vagabond scoundrel followers of that culture don't have money? who would have ever have guessed...
      Nah, those customers just moved on to brands that have more "Mad Euro".

LOL

Vehicles
      '13 ATS 2.0T, '13 Lexus RX350 AWD,'69 280SEL, '68 C10 SWB Stepside
      05-23-2012 06:28 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      And everyone that listens to rock music does drugs, worships Satan, and burns down churchs.
      so it goes... ಠ_ಠ

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-23-2012 06:29 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by retro_rocket View Post
      Wonder if they're considering a name change for the Escalade - both to bring it in line with the alphanumeric names of the rest of the lineup, as well as to distance the new model from the bling-bling rapper crowd of the existing one.
      Not a bad thought

This doesn't come as a surprise. I don't think the Escalade is the only Caddy that falls into this "market" - but they are trying to work out of it. At least new Caddys are priced out of the market, and buyers typically buy used anyway and prefer older models.

Cadillac should stop at 18" wheels and see what their market looks like. Don't make the cars able to fit 26" wheels.
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      05-23-2012 06:31 PM #8
      I'm frustrated by Cadillac's insistence on trying to build BMWs with Cadillac grilles instead of traditional American luxury cars. Arguably the Escalade is the most "true" Cadillac currently available.

The traditional styling and "rap image" certainly haven't hurt sales of the Chrysler 300...

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business on hiatus while I finish the Pontiac Project and The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

9. Member
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      05-23-2012 06:34 PM #9
      It's not just the rap image. It's simply the fact that there are many other BETTER options for luxury suv's for the same price.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      05-23-2012 06:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by rimtrim View Post
      I'm frustrated by Cadillac's insistence on trying to build BMWs with Cadillac grilles instead of traditional American luxury cars. Arguably the Escalade is the most "true" Cadillac currently available.

The traditional styling and "rap image" certainly haven't hurt sales of the Chrysler 300...

-Andrew L
      I'd say that the new Chrysler 300 has made a decided effort to turn down the dial on the "urban".

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      05-23-2012 06:49 PM #11
      make ICE optional equipment?

don't include chrome wheels?

i don't think it's rap that's doing the damage.

i think it may have more to do with content and pricing.

i mean, there's rappers out there with super exotics, but you don't see those brands claiming hurt sales because the cars are in music videos with blunts, forties, and well, the ladies .
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

12. 05-23-2012 06:56 PM #12
      The Lexus LS first got its (street) cred in rap videos and lyrics.
      Why you wouldn’t (buy an Optima SX):

Because you have your eyes on the Frigidaire Limited Edition Camry that you saw last weekend at the neighborhood Autoplex
      - LeftLaneNews

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-23-2012 07:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CP1 View Post
      The Lexus LS first got its (street) cred in rap videos and lyrics.
      It's selling so well now, too.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-23-2012 07:07 PM #14
      I think the "hip-hop" image related to this car is a result of its styling. Someone that wants an Escalade might find the Q7 or GX460 too demure. I think people that don't like that image just don't care for the more ostentatious styling that Cadillac offers.

Also, the Escalade is old and people probably aren't that enthused about the lack of features compared to more modern offerings.

15. 05-23-2012 07:12 PM #15
      I can see this. I'd never want one and the associated image is just one of many reasons why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      05-23-2012 07:18 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      I'd say that the new Chrysler 300 has made a decided effort to turn down the dial on the "urban".
      My sister has a first-gen 300 with the mesh grille insert ("Bentley" grille). She hates the new 300

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      05-23-2012 07:18 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      And everyone that listens to rock music does drugs, worships Satan, and burns down churchs.
      QFT
      :gift:

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-23-2012 07:19 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnilith View Post
      I'd believe it. My biggest beef with the Escalade (besides being a tarted up Tahoe) is the owners.
      This.

When I'm at the auction, anytime a 'Slade () pulls up in the lanes, the Black dealers swarm to them, while the traditional White dealers run. ESPECIALLY with big aftermarket wheels.

I won't stock them. The (attempted) buyer doesn't have the credit for this car. OR they try to use child support as a source of income...
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

19. 05-23-2012 07:23 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      My sister has a first-gen 300 with the mesh grille insert ("Bentley" grille). She hates the new 300
      I'm a fan of the latest one. Love the factory upgrades, loath the aftermarket grills.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

Vehicles
      01 Audi S4 stg 3, 10 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 00 Cadillac DTS
      05-23-2012 07:25 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by HASSELHOF View Post
      /thread.

I can already foresee the ignorance express train getting ready to steamroll this thread......

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-23-2012 07:27 PM #21
      thefts would deter me away...

These SUVs, trucks and cars had the most theft-related insurance claims per 1,000 vehicles.

Vehicle Claim Frequency

Cadillac Escalade 10.8
      Ford F-250 4WD 9.7
      Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew 9.2
      Ford F-450 crew 4WD 7.9
      GMC Sierra 1500 crew 7.3
      Chrysler 300 7.1
      Ford F-350 crew 4WD 7.0
      Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 6.4
      GMC Yukon 6.4
      Chrysler 300 Hemi 6.3
      in other news - saw a pink escalade with eyelashes mounted to headlights.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      05-23-2012 07:33 PM #22
      I remember walking around a GM lot and positively giggling at the prices they charge for these.

23. 05-23-2012 08:04 PM #23
      why dem ****** at GM gotta be racist for?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      06 VW GLI, 98 Cherokee
      05-23-2012 08:17 PM #24
      If I could get one cheap enough, I could use a tow rig for my jeep
      06 GLI
      98 Jeep Cherokee

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      05-23-2012 08:47 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      This.

When I'm at the auction, anytime a 'Slade () pulls up in the lanes, the Black dealers swarm to them, while the traditional White dealers run. ESPECIALLY with big aftermarket wheels.

I won't stock them. The (attempted) buyer doesn't have the credit for this car. OR they try to use child support as a source of income...

and true.
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      05-23-2012 08:53 PM #26
      Can the truth be racist? It's the truth ....

Vehicles
      a 1966 air cooled VW
      05-23-2012 08:56 PM #27
      maybe would-be non-ghetto Escalade owners are either aware or just naturally deduce that the Escalade has an extremely high theft rate, and that also plays a part in why they wouldn't want to own one.
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      You bitches fight more than a bunch of high school girls at the clearance rack of the local Forever 21.
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Japanese dicks are too small to trip over

28. 05-23-2012 08:59 PM #28
      90% of the Escalade owners I see around here are middle aged white women.

Vehicles
      Five two-seaters, two hatchbacks, and a big ass pickup truck
      05-23-2012 09:03 PM #29
      It might be true, but I don't trust a single throwaway line with no context from an unnamed source.
      Parsimonious Racing - autocrossing Miatas in the Washington DC area and beyond

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda6
      05-23-2012 09:03 PM #30
      Or maybe, just maybe, it's because there are better SUV options out there.....

.... Wild thought I know.

31. 05-23-2012 09:04 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by ToucheTurtle View Post
      90% of the Escalade owners I see around here are middle aged white women.
      Quoted for truth. I see more white folks driving these things around.

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-23-2012 09:05 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnilith View Post
      ditto
      great truck ruined by stereotype.

05-23-2012 09:10 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      II would definitely like to see the Escalade become less superficial and less "bling-bling".
      The Escalade will never be anything but superficial. Luxury SUVs only exist for one reason, image.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zero View Post
      1988 is not an 80's car, it's an early 90s car but whatever.

Vehicles
      2013 Range Rover Evoque
      05-23-2012 11:18 PM #34
      Range Rovers have arguably the same rap image but I don't think I've ever seen them get any crap for it.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      05-23-2012 11:29 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GTRaavv View Post
      Range Rovers have arguably the same rap image but I don't think I've ever seen them get any crap for it.
      Consider the sales numbers.

Escalades 50 Trillon
      Rovers <10,000
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast