Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 8 of 8

    Thread: 60D questions

    1. Member nthomas33's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2009
      Location
      South Jersey
      Posts
      610
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8tqm
      05-23-2012 06:30 PM #1
      So, I'm finally upgrading my camera, I just have the cheapest JVC camcorder from walmart, and I was suggested to get an SLR that shoots video since it had interchangeable lenses, manual focus, accessory shoe etc. However I was wondering if there is any way possible to record straight from the camera to some sort of storage device that's bigger than a 16GB SD card, because that doesn't seem like nearly enough for full HD video. SO should I go with the 60D if I can record to a separate device or should I look for a camera that can hold more data.

      Thanks
      Nick

    2. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,837
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-23-2012 06:52 PM #2
      So to address a few of those questions...

      The canon 60D uses SD cards for storage, so there is nothing stopping you from getting a bigger SD card than 16gb. Also, depending on how much shooting you do non-stop through the course of the day you'll be swapping cards no matter what. I shoot with a 7D and even with 32GB CF cards, I will swap out for back up cards depending on how long the shoot is.

      Consider this, 3min of 1080 hd video is about 1gig. So on a 16gb card that's about 48min, and if you bump up to a 32gb card that's about 1hr 30min. So I'm not sure what type of shooting you'll be doing, but keep that in mind. Also as long as there is plenty of light you'll squeeze a bit more video per byte out of the camera.

      The 60D does have AV out but I can't name a single person using these in the field that is capturing video out via AV. And I doubt the quality would be any good at all.

      I hope that helps. The 60D is a great little camera.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

    3. Member nthomas33's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2009
      Location
      South Jersey
      Posts
      610
      Vehicles
      99.5 A4 1.8tqm
      05-23-2012 06:57 PM #3
      That does actually help, a lot, because I didn't realize that the 16gb and 32 could hold that much. I actually found a 64 on Newegg that I'll probably get. Idk, all those years of Boy Scouts just makes me want to be over prepared I guess haha

      Thanks
      Nick

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,837
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      05-23-2012 07:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by nthomas33 View Post
      That does actually help, a lot, because I didn't realize that the 16gb and 32 could hold that much. I actually found a 64 on Newegg that I'll probably get. Idk, all those years of Boy Scouts just makes me want to be over prepared I guess haha

      Thanks
      Nick
      Make sure you read up on the capabilities of the cards. Remember they have different speed ratings, so you'll want a high speed card. Some cards are more suited for video than others. So do your homework.

      Another thing to keep in mind is that these DSLRs don't shoot continuous video. They will shoot about 11min59sec to about 15min depending on how much the camera is struggling with the light and how high your ISO is.

      Which means if you're shooting video for say a short movie, you'll have to limit your scene run times to about 12 min (which is perfectly fine, since there is no reason to have a 12min continuous shot since that would be about 1/8 of your movie...feature length movies are 90min on average.)
      Last edited by hipster.; 05-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.

    5. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      27,560
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      08-07-2012 08:05 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      Another thing to keep in mind is that these DSLRs don't shoot continuous video. They will shoot about 11min59sec to about 15min depending on how much the camera is struggling with the light and how high your ISO is.

      Which means if you're shooting video for say a short movie, you'll have to limit your scene run times to about 12 min (which is perfectly fine, since there is no reason to have a 12min continuous shot since that would be about 1/8 of your movie...feature length movies are 90min on average.)
      FWIW, Magic Lantern can allow you to overcome this issue...

      http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bit_rate

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,837
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      08-10-2012 04:09 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      FWIW, Magic Lantern can allow you to overcome this issue...

      http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Bit_rate
      True, but Magic Lantern will null your warranty. Also outside of recording live events, I've never had to record over 12 min, and I always shoot live events with multiple cameras.

    7. Senior Member NoDubJustYet's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2002
      Location
      WNoVA
      Posts
      27,560
      Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      08-10-2012 04:20 PM #7
      It's not a permanent flash... It runs off the SD card.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,837
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      08-10-2012 09:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      It's not a permanent flash... It runs off the SD card.
      Still voids the warranty if they find out. And they do know when the firmware has been tweaked.

      Anything deemed "hacking" by Canon will void your warranty. Just like with the Canon 5D MK3 that just came out. If you try to fix the "light leak" problem on your own. As soon as you open the camera body up you've voided the warranty. Even if you don't touch anything.
      Last edited by hipster.; 08-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •