Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 32 of 32

    Thread: It's Great to Be Back. Got my First A3 Today

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      165
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4
      05-23-2012 11:17 PM #1
      After a brief stint off the Vortex after selling my 2004.5 Jetta GLI last year (See http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-(Austin-Texas)... I am back!

      I just bought a 2006 silver A3 2.0, Automatic w/ DSG. I have always wanted an Audi and I managed to find a 6 year old A3 with only 30,000 miles on the clock. I haven't even brought it home from the dealer yet because there were some scrapes on the front that I'm having them fix. Here is the listing for the car: http://www.fiatusaofaustin.com/used/...6c95241f4d.htm

      I was nervous about getting an automatic after driving a stick all these years but I think the DSG will be pretty awesome and I could not find this car in a stick shift down here in Texas. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts that have driven both. Hopefully I will enjoy the DSG and not regret it.

      Anyways, my first order of business will be window tint, APR Flash, and Turbo Back Exhaust. Any recommendations for a good exhaust on this car? I had a 2.5 APR downpipe w/ Techtonics cat back on my Jetta and it worked very well. Is there a better way to go on the A3?

      I'm happy to be back on the Vortex. Will be posting some photos very soon.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-23-2012 11:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by gli1.8turbo View Post
      After a brief stint off the Vortex after selling my 2004.5 Jetta GLI last year (See http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-(Austin-Texas)... I am back!

      I just bought a 2006 silver A3 2.0, Automatic w/ DSG. I have always wanted an Audi and I managed to find a 6 year old A3 with only 30,000 miles on the clock. I haven't even brought it home from the dealer yet because there were some scrapes on the front that I'm having them fix. Here is the listing for the car: http://www.fiatusaofaustin.com/used/...6c95241f4d.htm

      I was nervous about getting an automatic after driving a stick all these years but I think the DSG will be pretty awesome and I could not find this car in a stick shift down here in Texas. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts that have driven both. Hopefully I will enjoy the DSG and not regret it.

      Anyways, my first order of business will be window tint, APR Flash, and Turbo Back Exhaust. Any recommendations for a good exhaust on this car? I had a 2.5 APR downpipe w/ Techtonics cat back on my Jetta and it worked very well. Is there a better way to go on the A3?

      I'm happy to be back on the Vortex. Will be posting some photos very soon.
      Congrats on the A3! First order of business before you sign and drive away...take it to an Audi dealer and make sure it is up to speed on any recalls/warranty/service campaign work that needs to be done. Also check the HPFP cam follower to make sure it is in good shape. I assume you would have already had it all looked over by a mechanic, but I am not sure if you are already aware of some of the issues with the 2.0T FSI engine.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-23-2012 11:33 PM #3
      Also, you should check out this thread: http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...lks-Austin-GTG

    4. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,247
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      05-24-2012 12:05 AM #4
      Alrighty, another Texan. Woot.

      We are trying to put a Texas wide GTG in Austin.

      Would love to see your car. Don't think I have seen an A3 in person yet.

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-24-2012 12:13 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Alrighty, another Texan. Woot.

      We are trying to put a Texas wide GTG in Austin.

      Would love to see your car. Don't think I have seen an A3 in person yet.
      LMAO

      His is silver and bone stock...just like yours

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2002
      Location
      So Cal
      Posts
      654
      Vehicles
      2013A3 previous A3 2007
      05-24-2012 12:42 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      LMAO

      His is silver and bone stock...just like yours
      HAHA.. That was funny. Welcome to the A3 club. You are going to here tons of bad things bad about your FSI (like mine) at the end of the day it is a great car. I picked up an 07 last July in great shape 31,000 miles. Its DSG and I love it evening coming from a VW GTI337 owner. I went thru a few bugs like anyone buying a used car. Now it is a great car. Miltek exhaust, Revo chip. Some Bilstins with Neuspeed springs and rsb. My car drives like a champ for a daily driver. I just need a new bike rack and I Golden.

      Now the bad things. Cam follower, pvc valve, and your car burns a little oil. Check it every two to three tanks. Its

    7. Member krazyboi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      14,126
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      05-24-2012 12:48 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Would love to see your car. Don't think I have seen an A3 in person yet.
      what's an a3?
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

    8. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,477
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-24-2012 08:07 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by krazyboi View Post
      what's an a3?
      Some Japanese paper size, I think
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    9. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-24-2012 09:00 AM #9
      A 3 is the character between the 2 and the 4 on your keyboard, ya?
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,247
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      05-24-2012 10:10 AM #10
      A3 is the format used when conducting Lean projects to eliminate muri and mude.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-24-2012 10:21 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      A3 is the format used when conducting Lean projects to eliminate muri and mude.
      Is mude the plural form of muda?

    12. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-24-2012 11:01 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      A3 is the format used when conducting Lean projects to eliminate muri and mude.
      Participated in a few events, but never heard those terms. I don't have any colored belts though Still just a noob.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,247
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      05-24-2012 11:52 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      Participated in a few events, but never heard those terms. I don't have any colored belts though Still just a noob.
      Lean is simple and easy to apply, 6sigma is lame and difficult for anyone other than ops and engineers to understand. Me no like 6sigma and rarely use it except in process situations with tight controls.

      I am Lean certified and a Six Sigma Green Belt. Karate CHOP!

      Guess the plural of Muda is Mudia.....

      Still trying to figure out what this thread is about?

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      719
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-24-2012 11:53 AM #14
      Welcome! Congrats on your new A3!

      Window tint was my first mod too.

      Quote Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
      I picked up an 07 last July in great shape 31,000 miles. Its DSG and I love it evening coming from a VW GTI337 owner.
      LOL!! Another former GTI 337 owner here! Great car!

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    15. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,477
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-24-2012 12:05 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      I am Lean certified and a Six Sigma Green Belt. Karate CHOP!
      I'm a black belt in No-Kan-Du... and a third degree master in Tai-Won-On.

      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    16. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-24-2012 12:18 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Lean is simple and easy to apply, 6sigma is lame and difficult for anyone other than ops and engineers to understand. Me no like 6sigma and rarely use it except in process situations with tight controls.

      I am Lean certified and a Six Sigma Green Belt. Karate CHOP!

      Guess the plural of Muda is Mudia.....

      Still trying to figure out what this thread is about?
      I'm an engineer. Now working with ops. On a tightly controlled process. So perhaps I should know that s. *shrug*

      Aircraft engine assembly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    17. Member krazyboi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      14,126
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      05-24-2012 12:23 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Still trying to figure out what this thread is about?
      What's a thread?
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

    18. Member
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2010
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,247
      Vehicles
      2006 2.0T A3
      05-24-2012 01:53 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by krazyboi View Post
      What's a thread?
      Welcome to the boards KB. What kind of car do you have?

    19. Member ceese's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2011
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      2,138
      Vehicles
      Audi A3 3.2 quattro sLine 2008, Lava Gray
      05-24-2012 02:01 PM #19
      Congrats and welcome.
      __________________________________________________ _______________
      Anyone who looks at the Audi A3 3.2 DSG and sees an overpriced economy car should not be allowed to play with Rottweiler puppies.
      Robert Farago, The Truth About Cars

    20. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-24-2012 03:15 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Welcome to the boards KB. What kind of car do you have?
      He has a car?!?! BALLIN'!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    21. Member pjunk1's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 13th, 2010
      Posts
      650
      Vehicles
      ’10 A3 2.0T DSG Ice Silver
      05-24-2012 03:22 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      I'm a black belt in No-Kan-Du... and a third degree master in Tai-Won-On.

      haha! but, do you have a black belt in Fuh-Quu?

    22. Member krazyboi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      14,126
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      05-24-2012 03:28 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by rawaudi View Post
      Welcome to the boards KB. What kind of car do you have?
      Thanks. Yes.
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

    23. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-24-2012 08:02 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by krazyboi View Post
      Thanks. Yes.
      Lmfao
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      165
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4
      05-25-2012 12:21 AM #24
      This thread went downhill fast ;-) Thanks for all the advice everyone. I still need some advice on a good exhaust for the A3... I'm going to Stage 2 ASAP. APR 93 Octane w/ a full turbo back. I had a 2.5 APR downpipe w/ a Techtonics cat back on my GLI and loved it. SHould I go with a 3" on my A3? What brands are best for delivering power and reliability without a cheesy rice burner sound?

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      3,700
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      05-25-2012 12:30 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by gli1.8turbo View Post
      This thread went downhill fast ;-) Thanks for all the advice everyone. I still need some advice on a good exhaust for the A3... I'm going to Stage 2 ASAP. APR 93 Octane w/ a full turbo back. I had a 2.5 APR downpipe w/ a Techtonics cat back on my GLI and loved it. SHould I go with a 3" on my A3? What brands are best for delivering power and reliability without a cheesy rice burner sound?
      Power is going to be pretty much the same, since most of the gains are from the downpipe and for the most part a 3" downpipe is going to be the same regardless of who makes it. The catback is mostly for sound and not so much power. That being said, there are a few good ones out there that I would consider. APR's RSC is supposed to be drone-free but still sound aggressive when you get on it. Milltek is supposed to not drone either, and sound nice but a little quieter than the APR. Magnaflow sounds nice to my ears but it can be a little loud and drone, if you are worried about that.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      Ramona, CA
      Posts
      4,207
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      05-25-2012 01:16 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by gli1.8turbo View Post
      This thread went downhill fast
      Nah... Just a little sideways. We go off on tangents sometimes... well... often, but we get done what needs to be done too. Just think of it as getting free entertainment along with the service.

      The A3 forum is like going for a haircut and getting a lap dance at the same time.
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

    27. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-25-2012 07:10 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by TBomb View Post
      Power is going to be pretty much the same, since most of the gains are from the downpipe and for the most part a 3" downpipe is going to be the same regardless of who makes it. The catback is mostly for sound and not so much power. That being said, there are a few good ones out there that I would consider. APR's RSC is supposed to be drone-free but still sound aggressive when you get on it. Milltek is supposed to not drone either, and sound nice but a little quieter than the APR. Magnaflow sounds nice to my ears but it can be a little loud and drone, if you are worried about that.
      I love my Eurojet downpipe because it has V-band clamps and if you order with a cat, they include a test pipe. It makes inspection time very stress-free, if you're worried about that.


      WANNA RIDE BIKES?!?
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    28. Member krazyboi's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2004
      Location
      NoVA
      Posts
      14,126
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      05-25-2012 09:24 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      Nah... Just a little sideways. We go off on tangents sometimes... well... often, but we get done what needs to be done too. Just think of it as getting free entertainment along with the service.

      The A3 forum is like going for a haircut and getting a lap dance at the same time.
      Agreed
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

    29. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-25-2012 09:26 AM #29
      I think there's actually a place somewhere near here where you can do exactly that...
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2004
      Location
      Austin, TX
      Posts
      165
      Vehicles
      2006 Audi S4
      05-25-2012 02:58 PM #30
      Did I make a mistake by not getting the A3 Quattro? For those that have driven both, how noticeable is the difference?

    31. Member Rob Cote's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 6th, 2006
      Location
      Beverly, MA
      Posts
      7,814
      Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      05-25-2012 03:01 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by gli1.8turbo View Post
      Did I make a mistake by not getting the A3 Quattro? For those that have driven both, how noticeable is the difference?
      I haven't driven both, but with FWD only and 205s all around, I can't hang up and put nearly all my power down. My long term plan is to make a 6MT Quattro 2.0T.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      Ramona, CA
      Posts
      4,207
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      05-25-2012 04:56 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by gli1.8turbo View Post
      Did I make a mistake by not getting the A3 Quattro? For those that have driven both, how noticeable is the difference?
      For Austin, I would say no mistake. Just get some extreme or max performance summer tires and your golden.
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •