Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Best way to safely invest $20,000

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      05-24-2012 04:14 AM #1
      I do not know anything about investing, stock market, mutual funds etc. I have been lurking around on my own with online trading but just don't really understand anything. At the moment I have the money in a high interest savings account that is earning basically nothing.

About me: I am 25 years old, college graduate, not married, no kids, no real responsibilities, and my monthly expenses total to about $1,200 a month. I want to invest the whole $20k for something longterm, minimum 10 years. Would rather play it safe and do something that is low risk and more of a guarantee vs a high risk.

All feedback and tips are appreciated, whether its doing the online trading, getting a financial advisor, CDs, bonds, etc.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      '00 XJ, '08 N* SRX4 (hers), '70 Beetle (rusty and parked)
      05-24-2012 09:27 AM #2
      No to the Certificate of Depreciation (CD) for sure! It's basically a savings account where you have to leave your money parked, and you might get a certificate to tell you it's parked there. You already know what an impressive return you get from a savings account.

20k on hand at your age is awesome. Put as much into a Roth IRA as the law allows and let it build compound interest so you can retire a multimillionaire. Don't invest in individual stocks - there are plenty of mutual funds that will average 10%+ annually over the long term. You won't do that with individual stocks unless you happen to get lucky.
      Last edited by blue70beetle; 05-24-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-24-2012 02:51 PM #3
      $20k isnt enough money to be involved with a financial planner worth your time. The only planners willing to work with that much are not the ones you want.

I'd just pull up a risk assessor, available on almost any financial website, and take the resulting allocation and use ETFs for it. One issue with MF are they don't really ever act like what you think you're buying. It may say Large Cap on the prospectus but the way it behaves is often not at all what you are expecting meaning your ideal allocation isn't being met. If your goal is an allocation based on asset classes The ETF indexes won't have that issue, or at least not to the same degree.

I second putting this money into a Roth and doing it there. You wont be able to put it all in though (that's what she said).
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 vw gli, 2010 vw gti
      05-24-2012 06:30 PM #4
      lol @ thats what she said, anyways i should have mention i have already put the maximum, which is 5k a year, into a Roth IRA. so this 20k should be done with?

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 07:38 PM #5
      The same type of funds as the Roth...assuming they're decent funds.

6. 05-24-2012 08:22 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Nezram View Post
      Use the money to buy as much physical silver as you can get your hands on. Its going to be worth thousands an ounce in the near future according to me.
      I concur!

Vehicles
      05-24-2012 09:02 PM #7
      Don't listen to this guy...metals have historically not provided good returns. They do well in short spurts, so they're only for people who feel they can afford to lose their money, with a slight chance of making a big return.

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      05-25-2012 01:56 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkadunkle View Post
      About me: I am 25 years old, college graduate, not married, no kids, no real responsibilities, and my monthly expenses total to about $1,200 a month. I want to invest the whole $20k for something longterm, minimum 10 years. Would rather play it safe and do something that is low risk and more of a guarantee vs a high risk.
      Being 25 and sitting on $20,000 is quite an achievement and you should be proud of that.
      Look @ Canadian banks (any of them) if you are into stocks:
      Toronto Dominion - TD
      Bank of Montreal - BMO
      both very good banks. Do some research into mining stock as well but if stocks are not your thing then the next best move would be investment property .

9. 05-25-2012 07:43 AM #9
      Pick 4 big-name dividend-paying stocks that are in different segments and split it evenly between them. If they offer a DRIP (dividend reinvestment program), do that.

A Canadian bank, a telecom, an industrial, and a health care. Or something of that sort.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-25-2012 11:15 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      Pick 4 big-name dividend-paying stocks that are in different segments and split it evenly between them. If they offer a DRIP (dividend reinvestment program), do that.
      As a sole investment? Bad idea.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again.

11. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      05-25-2012 01:00 PM #11
      I've used $20k as just play money last year and bought loads of iPads last year and made out about $7k in 6 months.

12. 05-25-2012 02:49 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      As a sole investment? Bad idea.

Diversity is key. I'm a fan of low cost index funds myself, but YMMV.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      05-25-2012 03:23 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkadunkle View Post
      I do not know anything about investing, stock market, mutual funds etc. I have been lurking around on my own with online trading but just don't really understand anything. At the moment I have the money in a high interest savings account that is earning basically nothing.
      Leave the money in the high interest savings account. While doing that, go read up on things that interest you. Read a few books. If they all completely bore you, you know you should just find some good ETF's (as jmn2.0t mentioned) and remember EVERYTHING works in cycles. If you find things that you are reading about are interesting, move some of your money into an online trading account. If you find this stuff really interesting, make sure you read up on taxes - short term capital gains, long term capital gains, wash sales (really important to know about), ubti, etc... etc...

Someone mentioned a Roth. That's good, too. Think of it as an umbrella and it protects you from the things I just mentioned - taxes.

P.S. Nothing is safe. If anything was safe, everyone would be doing it.
      Last edited by titleist1976; 05-25-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      05-25-2012 04:22 PM #14
      I'm safe. Send your money to me.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      92 vw corrado
      05-26-2012 03:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      I've used $20k as just play money last year and bought loads of iPads last year and made out about $7k in 6 months.
      How do you make money buying ipads?

Vehicles
      05-26-2012 07:49 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by twilk View Post
      How do you make money buying ipads?
      By selling them to a Nigerian prince. You'd be amazed at what those dudes will pay for those things! And for them, it's still a heck of a deal, because you can ship a ton of iPads inside the trunk of each car that you ship.

One would think Apple would recognize this and open a store or two over there.

Vehicles
      One for each need
      05-29-2012 03:03 AM #17
      Second the mutual funds. Do some due dillgence with some prospectuses (prospecti?) to find the right one(s), sink it in, and don't pull out when the going gets rough (that's what she said).

Add more when you can, always reinvest your dividends.

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '67 rolls royce, '67 mgb gt, '13 tdi, '14 glk350
      05-31-2012 10:44 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by blue70beetle View Post
      You won't do that with individual stocks unless you happen to get lucky.
      not a great deal of luck required -

NLY
      and AGNC (though a shorter track record, to be sure)

id hold those for a year and a half or so and see where things are at come 2014.

thatll be a pretty easy couple of thousand in a year or so

Vehicles
      VW C30 Stingray
      07-05-2012 01:53 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by joness0154 View Post

Diversity is key. I'm a fan of low cost index funds myself, but YMMV.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

20. 07-05-2012 04:31 PM #20
      S&P 500 Index fund