Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VICTORY: Driver wins legal battle over flashing lights to warn other drivers of speed trap

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-24-2012 11:17 AM #1
      http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ech-headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Sentinal
      Sanford judge rules in favor of motorist who flashed his headlights
      By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

6:33 p.m. EST, May 22, 2012

A judge in Sanford ruled Tuesday that a Lake Mary man was lawfully exercising his First Amendment rights when he flashed his headlights to warn neighbors that a deputy had set up a speed trap nearby.

That decision is another victory for Ryan Kintner, 25, who sued theSeminole County Sheriff's Officelast year, accusing it of misconstruing a state law and violating his civil rights, principally his right to free speech.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      (OoO)
      05-24-2012 11:19 AM #2

>fast courtesy post<

Vehicles
      glorified Volkswagen for middle class white women
      05-24-2012 11:20 AM #3
      flickr | Follow me on instagram: @ginger_reporter

4. 05-24-2012 11:22 AM #4
      Florida...

Vehicles
      90 turbo miata - 87 325is - 13 Mustang GT
      05-24-2012 11:22 AM #5
      I wish more people did this. There should be a PSA or something

6. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      05-24-2012 11:23 AM #6
      That's why I was always hesitant to do that . Never wanted the cop to come hassle me.

Vehicles
      00' VR6T 12' V6 TDI 72' 914-6
      05-24-2012 11:32 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by xombiesarelove View Post
      That's why I was always hesitant to do that . Never wanted the cop to come hassle me.
      gov't should be afraid of it's citizens, not the other way around.
      Larry

Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Shekels of the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan

Vehicles
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V, '08 Mazda3 GT
      05-24-2012 11:44 AM #8
      Happend to the host of Motoring TV a few years ago.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=TorontoHome

Toronto man is upset he was ticketed for flashing his headlights to tip off oncoming drivers of a radar speed trap, especially since police admit the act is not illegal.

Brad Diamond was recently driving in the city's east end when he noticed a speed trap nailing drivers heading in the other direction. After he flashed his high beams to warn oncoming vehicles, a police officer pulled him over.

"I said, 'I wasn't speeding,' and he said, 'You were flicking your lights,'" Diamond, producer of TSN's Motoring 2008, told CTV Toronto.

"I said, 'So? What's the problem?' and he said, 'It's against the law.'"

Diamond was fined $110 for the "prohibited use of high beams contrary to the Highway Traffic Act section 169 (2)," his ticket read.

The section actually reads "No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection 1 (emergency vehicles)."

Diamond went to court to fight the ticket. On his second appearance, the prosecutor withdrew the charge, saying police had no evidence.

Sgt. Brian Bowman isn't sure why the officer laid the charge because the act isn't illegal.

"There is no law against warning about police operating a radar location," he told CTV Toronto.

Bowman said even flashing your lights at other drivers isn't necessarily a bad thing. "If a motorist is warning another motorist to slow down, really, we're on the same team, so I don't find that problematic," he said.

A police superintendent told CTV Toronto no officer should be issuing tickets for this act, but until the service receives a formal complaint, no investigation will be launched.

Diamond, meanwhile, is still upset because he saw other drivers in court charged with the same offence. He said the ordeal cost him both time and money.

"Our officers should be out there in their cruisers serving and protecting, rather than, in this case, harassing and fleecing Torontonians," he said.

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      05-24-2012 11:50 AM #9
      nice... though i noticed outside the midwest this friendly driver tact is not practiced as much.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

Vehicles
      Mk4 VR6, Mk3 GLX (RIP), Mk2 GLI, Mk1 Rabbit, B5 S4, 03 Mustang , 66 Nova SS, 65 Impala, 95 Ranger
      05-24-2012 12:28 PM #10
      Our rights at work
      VSC Tuning
      Offroad Rig
      Quote Originally Posted by scirockalot8v View Post
      Plastidip the world.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2002 Z51 Corvette
      05-24-2012 12:45 PM #11
      win.
      Regarding DD'ing a tuned Evo:
      Quote Originally Posted by SchrickVR6 View Post
      It's composed at all speeds and at all times...it just feels like you're holding the leash on a 150lb pit bull and praying you don't see a squirrel.

12. Senior Member
      05-24-2012 12:53 PM #12
      A friend in law school years ago showed me the statute the police cite in CT for "misuse of lights" when issuing a ticket. The statute is against people putting police or fire-style light bars on their cars. It has nothing to do with flashing lights for a speed trap. If fought, the case will be thrown out.

Vehicles
      605 Nogaro S4
      05-24-2012 12:53 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...
      Quote Originally Posted by Señor Peligro View Post
      There was a separate petition for it. So no, I don't think Austin is the demographic in Texas looking to secede. But **** Austin anyways.

(In the cornfields west of) Allentown, PA
      Vehicles
      Miata, Maverick, GTV6, VibeGT
      05-24-2012 12:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by JOHNS92JETTA View Post
      Happend to the host of Motoring TV a few years ago.

The section actually reads "No person shall use highbeam headlamps that produce alternating flashes of white light on any vehicle other than a vehicle referred to in subsection 1 (emergency vehicles)."

Diamond went to court to fight the ticket. On his second appearance, the prosecutor withdrew the charge, saying police had no evidence.
      http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=TorontoHome
      Lack of evidence? Great. But how about the fact that the law is prohibiting alternating lights (wig-wags, it is?) like you see on emergency vehicles? Not simply flashing the high beams, which is both lights simultaneously.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      What kind of ass backwards world do you live in where your Miata is broken and your Alfa is your reliable source of transportation?

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze
      05-24-2012 12:59 PM #15
      I flash my lights on occasion to warn people. I will be doing it way more often now.

My Fitness Apparel Company: SwagTagTees

Instagram

16. Geriatric Member VegasJetta's Avatar
      Vehicles
      89 Helios GLI, 01 XJ 4.0, 99 Forester Syncro, 87 Honda TRX250, 82 Honda UrbEx, 78 Garelli RallySport
      05-24-2012 01:01 PM #16
      "what do you mean, officer? The guy coming towards me in the other lane had his high beams on, so I flashed mine to let him know"

Quote Originally Posted by JacksSenseOfRejection
      Here's a fun fact: if someone is hitting you with a metal pipe, stay down.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      05-24-2012 01:20 PM #17
      I had the officer that taught the traffic school I attended encourage the class to flash their lights when they recognize a speed trap.

Vehicles
      335i | zx6r
      05-24-2012 01:22 PM #18
      I used to warn people.

Now I don't care.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      05-24-2012 01:24 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by bubbagti View Post
      I had the officer that taught the traffic school I attended encourage the class to flash their lights when they recognize a speed trap.
      Which they should, if the real goal of the speed trap is for getting people to slow down and not just as a source of revenue generation.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      05-24-2012 01:44 PM #20
      I always flash high beams to inform oncoming drivers there is a reason to slow down, be it an animal in the street, an accident, or a radar trap.
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

Vehicles
      A Sienna and a Civic
      05-24-2012 01:50 PM #21
      There was a case exactly like this in Franklin, TN several years ago. I am surprised that it is not common knowledge in the LE community.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102649,00.html

^ see the story third down on that link.

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      05-24-2012 01:55 PM #22
      I got pulled over and hassled for it by a state trooper. He never mentioned the flashing beams, but he must have been working tandem with another trooper and saw me doing it. I was warning on-coming traffic about the guy in the median when another cruiser rushed up to my rear-left blind spot and shadowed me for about two miles. He finally hit his strobes and pulled me over. I was cited for no front plate.

That's fine, I know that I take my chances by not wearing a plate on the front bumper. Just warning everyone that legal or not, if they see you doing something they don't like, you'd better make sure that all of your other 't's are crossed and your 'i's are dotted because they'll find another way to screw with you.

I got the ticket dismissed but it was kind of a pain.
      Rest easy, Bart.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      05-24-2012 11:01 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

24. Member
      05-24-2012 11:06 PM #24
      I'll hit the brites now and then most of the time the guy going the other way does'nt slow down...Dumbass deserves to be caught

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      05-24-2012 11:38 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      I always flash high beams to inform oncoming drivers there is a reason to slow down, be it an animal in the street, an accident, or a radar trap.
      This, but since I'm on the bike I'm sure half the time people ignore me anyway.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

26. 05-25-2012 12:00 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      I wish more people did this. There should be a PSA or something

I always flash my lights alerting oncoming drivers. I assume most of them have no idea what I'm doing.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 328K Miles.
      05-25-2012 12:10 AM #27
      Truckers with CB radios have been doing this for years with no problem from the smokies. There is verbal and visual communication (speech) and several more forms of it, all protected more or less by the U.S. Constitution's first amendment I expect.

Any cop with more than a half an ounce of brain cells will understand that anything that extends his sphere of influence is helpful to his purpose for being employed unless he really does want to generate revenue.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      05-25-2012 12:28 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      This.

Several years ago I got a ticket for doing just this. In the NJ driving manual, one of the things it says you should do when about to overtake a car, is flash your lights. When I went to court, that's exactly what I said I was doing. I said that after flashing my lights, I decided not to pass the car in front of me, because there was a car coming in the other direction. The judge dismissed the case.
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00
      my GF's love to show me their t!ts....and I like to motorboat them so much they call me Chris Craft...

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      05-25-2012 03:16 AM #29
      nice!
      i always wait to flash my lights until i'm out of the police's field of vision.they seem to watch you to see if you warn others
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi S6
      05-25-2012 08:12 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by strskatr05 View Post
      I flash my lights on occasion to warn people. I will be doing it way more often now.

05-25-2012 08:16 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      This, but since I'm on the bike I'm sure half the time people ignore me anyway.
      I generally ignore people, because I normally am not speeding enough to care in known trap areas...but bikes I ignore altogether because of "safety" features that people keep adding to their bikes:

I've recently grown tired of the "wigwag" feature some two wheelerss have affixed to their headlights. Mostly harley/cruiser riders...but goddamn it is aggravating if they are behind you.

As an aside, I DO like a few taillights I have seen - looks like swapped-in LED units that, after the brake has been applied for a few seconds, has the outer portion blink even brighter...bike taillights can be difficult, even when you are really looking for them.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      05-25-2012 08:29 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      I generally ignore people, because I normally am not speeding enough to care in known trap areas...but bikes I ignore altogether because of "safety" features that people keep adding to their bikes:

I've recently grown tired of the "wigwag" feature some two wheelerss have affixed to their headlights. Mostly harley/cruiser riders...but goddamn it is aggravating if they are behind you.
      I'm with you, I can't stand pulsing headlights. Stuff in front of me isn't the problem, in my experience, it's people behind and to the sides, so no high beam during the day, no pulser, none of that crap. Everything in front of me I can watch with my own eyes without annoying the hell out of everyone around me. (which is also why I don't like loud-ass pipes Those piss me off)

As an aside, I DO like a few taillights I have seen - looks like swapped-in LED units that, after the brake has been applied for a few seconds, has the outer portion blink even brighter...bike taillights can be difficult, even when you are really looking for them.
      This sounds awesome, I need to look into this!
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

05-25-2012 08:35 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      This sounds awesome, I need to look into this!
      I've seen a lot on sportbikes/enduro styles, and I;ve just begun to see them on heavys (harleys and other big cruisers)... I don't have my M endorsement anymore, but from a "cager" in a truck, suv, or car - i think they are a good idea

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      05-25-2012 09:32 AM #34
      Win. People in GA do it all the time, me included.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

35. 05-25-2012 12:18 PM #35
      I'll be honest.
      I don't like writing tickets, it wastes too much valuable coffee and doughnut time.
      But seriously, going to court for every BS ticket that gets written, wastes time that we could be doing our job.
      Flash your lights, I have more important things to worry about.
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA