Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transport question: Buying and driving a car from Cleveland OH to Chicago, DMV will be closed - OH peeps, come in here!

1. 05-24-2012 03:01 PM #1
      If all goes according to plan, Sunday June 3rd is going to be a really big day for me from a car enthusiast perspective.

I will be driving from Chicago to Cleveland, OH and possibly buying and driving home a car very near and dear to my heart. I have some good company coming with me that some of you old timer CLers will remember, and we will have a high res camera with us to record the shenanigans and post up a little treat for you guys when we get home. In typical fashion when the two of us get together on a road trip, it will either be a disaster or pure epicness. Perhaps both.

We have made the decision that the car is road worthy, so we're going in the GTI, and driving them both back together.

But I have a problem: I want to make sure the title transfer and transport of the car goes off without a hitch. Further complicating matters, the only day this will work is a Sunday, which means no DMV. So I can't buy a temporary drive off tag, and I don't want to get caught running a expired plate from another vehicle.

I spoke to the seller and he can get the title notorized for the miles (a peculiarity to Ohio, and I am not sure that applies to me) ahead of time. So that part is taken care of. I believe the seller will have a bill of sale dated with all the particulars, so that will be handled as well.

So, the questions:

1. Do any of you Ohio people know what needs to be done to the Ohio title aside from signing it?
      2. Do I have any other options on getting this thing home short of running his plates on the car home, and then sending them back to him?

Right now I am thinking of yanking the plates off it, having all signed documentation with me in the car, and winging it. If I get pulled over I can prove I bought the car that day.

Thoughts?
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

2. 05-24-2012 05:16 PM #2
      Wow....this question hit the ground with a very loud thud.....

3. 05-24-2012 05:19 PM #3
      I don't know about OH but in VA, you can get a temporary "trip permit" for $5 on the DMV website. You just put in the VIN of the car and your info and pay $5 and print it out. This is good for 3 days.

You can get one from the original state of the car or from the destination state but I did this recently with no problem.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI Tornado Red
      05-24-2012 05:25 PM #4
      I assume this will be this weekend? If so I would avoid winging it OSHP are dickheads memorial day weekend...

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration.stm

That should pretty much sum up what you would need to do on the right hand column.

You might want to call one of the local BMV's up in Cleveland and ask them what to do.

Edit: Additional looking into it brought me to this:
      When a new car is purchased, is it permissible to put the old car tags on before the transfer of title is made?
      Yes, however, the new title must be presented to the deputy registrar within thirty days to complete the transfer of registration. [O.R.C. 4503.12 A (4)].
      Dont know if that helps more or not.
      Last edited by seroki; 05-24-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-24-2012 05:33 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by seroki View Post
      I assume this will be this weekend? If so I would avoid winging it OSHP are dickheads memorial day weekend...

http://bmv.ohio.gov/vehicle_registration.stm

That should pretty much sum up what you would need to do on the right hand column.

You might want to call one of the local BMV's up in Cleveland and ask them what to do.
      In Ohio, you don't have to run any plates for up to 30 days from when the sale happens ... When I've bought cars in the past, I take one of my Ohio plates from a car I own (just so it's not an immediate cop target), screw it on, and make sure I have the title and a purchase agreement with me at all times. I've only ever once been stopped by a police officer and all it took was showing him the title and the purchase agreement and that the plate was, in fact, registered to me.

You might want to check your Illinois laws, but here in Ohio, you aren't required to have any plates for up to 30 days after purchase.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI Tornado Red
      05-24-2012 05:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      In Ohio, you don't have to run any plates for up to 30 days from when the sale happens ... When I've bought cars in the past, I take one of my Ohio plates from a car I own (just so it's not an immediate cop target), screw it on, and make sure I have the title and a purchase agreement with me at all times. I've only ever once been stopped by a police officer and all it took was showing him the title and the purchase agreement and that the plate was, in fact, registered to me.

You might want to check your Illinois laws, but here in Ohio, you aren't required to have any plates for up to 30 days after purchase.
      Good to know

7. 05-24-2012 05:53 PM #7
      The BMV was useless, they basically told me to wait till business hours to obtain the necessary documents, so I did the next best thing: I called the State Police.

I told them the situation, and the jist I got was this: Put something - ANYTHING - on it to not garner a second look, and have your documents with you when you get stopped.

I have a spare plate (the front plate from my GTI, in fact) that I can toss on, so I think that's the answer.

Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      05-24-2012 06:00 PM #8
      Inb4 omgfelonyifyoudonthavetags
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      05-24-2012 06:27 PM #9
      I know what you are getting
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

10. 05-24-2012 06:30 PM #10

Keeping the title in the car is a good way to get yourself in trouble if the car is stolen.

11. 05-24-2012 06:42 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      That's pretty much how I feel right now. Pinch me, I can't believe it is actually going to happen.

Vehicles
      S4 Casa Wagon
      05-24-2012 06:48 PM #12
      I'll bet it's not as cool or rare as what I'm getting.
      Tial | EPL | Tons of other crap

13. 05-24-2012 07:04 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by cadiburns View Post
      I'll bet it's not as cool or rare as what I'm getting.
      Depends. Is yours less than a 1 of 900 production run?

Vehicles
      4.2, 3.2, 3.4
      05-24-2012 07:09 PM #14
      I did the whole "Throw on a registered plate" from the car I sold onto the car I purchased in the past.

Got pulled over on the way to getting it registered at 7:30 in the morning and got a $170 fine.

I had the paperwork to prove I had just purchased the vehicle, but it was not yet inspected or registered but was insured.

Such BS.
      2007 Audi RS4 l 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 l 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Honda CB400T
      05-24-2012 08:00 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by .:1of1500:. View Post
      I had the paperwork to prove I had just purchased the vehicle, but it was not yet inspected or registered but was insured.
      Did you have to drive the car to get registered, or was this a stop on the way back with it?

I've done several out of state purchases, and I typically use the plate from my current car for the drive back; I've never been stopped though.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

16. 05-24-2012 09:21 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      Put something - ANYTHING - on it to not garner a second look, and have your documents with you when you get stopped.

I have a spare plate (the front plate from my GTI, in fact) that I can toss on, so I think that's the answer.
      But if the 2 cars are travelling together, that might raise some eyebrows.
      Do you have another car with current plates in your posession (either of you) whose "missing" plate can be hidden at home while awaiting your return? Still a risk, but not sure what else to do on a holiday weekend. OSP basically said "just don't get caught."

Drive like a Grandma and leave the shennanigans until you can get it legally registered/tagged.
      ^
      Yeah, I'm boring.

05-24-2012 09:26 PM #17
      You're buying this, aren't you?

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2922773091.html

Chris
      | 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C | 1990 Ford F-150 |

18. Member
      05-24-2012 10:33 PM #18
      This has been coming up a lot lately, and I can't believe how complicated the different states make buying a car/getting tags. In every province I am familiar with you can put your old plate on it (as long as the car has a valid inspection) and you then have 2 weeks or 30 days to get it sorted out. Same with insurance, at least 2 weeks before you have to notify them.

It looks like you can do the IL title transfer online, which gives you 7 days to go in and complete it. Not sure if it will give you a temp tag online, but you can transfer your old plate to the new car if you are not planning to get a new plate.
      http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...tion/pert.html

19. 05-24-2012 11:36 PM #19
      SHould have added -

This is an additional car, no replacing the GTI or the Equinox.

I can't pull a plate off a car at home because that renders my wife's car undrivable, not a good thing when you will be gone all day.

Another option is leveraging a friend. He wants to come with for fun, and we might be able to take his '09 Mustang GT, but I am not sure he will want to drive that all day.

In short, I can pull the front plate on my GTI and put it on the new car for the drive home. I think that's the answer.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-24-2012 11:41 PM #20
      Ohio title has to be signed on the back by the seller, and then signed in presence of a notary by the buyer, before it can be transferred.

You need a transferred title to obtain a paper temp tag.

Why don't you just trailer it home?

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)
      05-24-2012 11:48 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by bigev007 View Post
      This has been coming up a lot lately, and I can't believe how complicated the different states make buying a car/getting tags. In every province I am familiar with you can put your old plate on it (as long as the car has a valid inspection) and you then have 2 weeks or 30 days to get it sorted out. Same with insurance, at least 2 weeks before you have to notify them.

It looks like you can do the IL title transfer online, which gives you 7 days to go in and complete it. Not sure if it will give you a temp tag online, but you can transfer your old plate to the new car if you are not planning to get a new plate.
      http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...tion/pert.html
      How about we make it even simpler. California seems to be the only state that has plates that stay with the cars for the car's life. They aren't assigned to the owner. The rest of the world does it this way. Why do the other 49 states insist on having the plates be assigned to drivers, not cars? It makes things so difficult.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      04 TL 6MT, 06 Ridgeline, 81 Mercedes SL
      05-24-2012 11:55 PM #22
      Just drive it home dude, its the toll road. Only like 6 hours and ONE road.

Ohio's title weirdness only applies when applying for an Ohio title, you're going to be worried about Illinois stuff, not Ohio stuff.

Just keep a dated and mileage-written-down bill of sale with you. And don't be drunk.

I live just south of Cleveland, I drove my Jeep like 25 days without getting plates. Its normal here, since you have to get an e-check before getting a title, before getting plates, which are all done at different places.

Yes the title office and the BMV are different places.
      ^^ I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. ^^

Vehicles
      04 TL 6MT, 06 Ridgeline, 81 Mercedes SL
      05-24-2012 11:58 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      How about we make it even simpler. California seems to be the only state that has plates that stay with the cars for the car's life. They aren't assigned to the owner. The rest of the world does it this way. Why do the other 49 states insist on having the plates be assigned to drivers, not cars? It makes things so difficult.
      Because new plates cost more.

The real best is West Virginia trailer plates. No sales tax for trailers that tow over 2k, and plates are good for the life of the trailer. No checkups, no fees, ever. Its worth the drive to WV for any new trailer that costs more than like $1k.

Also a good selling point if you get rid of it. No need to register or title or anything, just sell it for cash and move on.
      ^^ I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. ^^

24. 05-25-2012 12:27 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      Ohio title has to be signed on the back by the seller, and then signed in presence of a notary by the buyer, before it can be transferred.

You need a transferred title to obtain a paper temp tag.

Why don't you just trailer it home?

I thought about that, but 2 reasons:

1. The Equinox does not have a Class IV hitch (yet) and I am too cheap to buy one.
      2. Even if I did, the car + the tow dolly would likely exceed my 3500 lb tow rating, and I don't want to load the 'Nox like that and run it for 6 hours through what will likely be a hot weekend.

25. 05-25-2012 12:29 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by mike_A3 View Post
      Just drive it home dude, its the toll road. Only like 6 hours and ONE road.

Ohio's title weirdness only applies when applying for an Ohio title, you're going to be worried about Illinois stuff, not Ohio stuff.

Just keep a dated and mileage-written-down bill of sale with you. And don't be drunk.

I live just south of Cleveland, I drove my Jeep like 25 days without getting plates. Its normal here, since you have to get an e-check before getting a title, before getting plates, which are all done at different places.

Yes the title office and the BMV are different places.
      Question on titles:

We don't have to get titles notorized here in IL. The owner is going to get the title signed and notorized before I get there. So, in theory, all I need to do is sign the title when I get home and surrender it to the DMV.

Do I have that right, or is there some wierd hanky panky I need to do on the Ohio title?

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      05-25-2012 01:01 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      X2
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-25-2012 02:31 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Grey Mouser View Post
      Keeping the title in the car is a good way to get yourself in trouble if the car is stolen.
      Considering a title transfer requires a notary public stamp, my signature, and a host of other provisions the BMV requires, I'd say there's a better chance of a notary public being charged with failure to confirm identity ...

Seriously, I have the titles to my car in them because it makes sense to have them with me. If someone steals the car, meh, I have insurance #1, and #2, the state of Ohio has a few fails afes that would protect you in that instance. Again, I have insurance, so wtf do I care where my title is?

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-25-2012 10:08 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      I thought about that, but 2 reasons:

1. The Equinox does not have a Class IV hitch (yet) and I am too cheap to buy one.
      2. Even if I did, the car + the tow dolly would likely exceed my 3500 lb tow rating, and I don't want to load the 'Nox like that and run it for 6 hours through what will likely be a hot weekend.
      Rent a pickup and tandem axle car trailer from UHaul.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-25-2012 10:12 AM #29
      Rent a pickup and tandem axle car trailer from UHaul.
      Except 60c/mile is no joke on those pickups ... $40 for the truck one-way + $80 for the trailer one-way + an average 345 miles @ 60c/mile +gas + tax + the car to get there and back = $600+ just to transport the car ...

People forget about the per mileage charges when they talk about renting a truck from Uhaul or Penske.

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3 & 5.0
      05-25-2012 10:12 AM #30
      In Michigan, it is perfectly legal to drive a vehicle you purchased from an individual for up to 3 days without out plates: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...5972--,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by MI SOS
      You do not need a license plate to drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home within Michigan within three days of purchase. Carry the assigned title with you. Never use a plate from another vehicle as a substitute.
      Quote Originally Posted by admirallaserbeam
      Rotary engines suck, dont get the miata
      2014 Chrysler 300S Hemi AWD | 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 | 2000 Four Winns H180LS

RareSportBikesForSale.com | CarCast | German Cars For Sale Blog

31. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra
      05-25-2012 10:16 AM #31
      Except 60c/mile is no joke on those pickups ... $40 for the truck one-way + $80 for the trailer one-way + an average 345 miles @ 60c/mile +gas + tax + the car to get there and back = $600+ just to transport the car ...

People forget about the per mileage charges when they talk about renting a truck from Uhaul or Penske.
      Penske has no mileage charges.

32. 05-25-2012 10:23 AM #32
      Penske is also freaking expensive. I'd sooner outfit my Equinox for the job.

I should be fine. It won't be the first time I took a vehicle across state lines with no plates.

Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      05-25-2012 10:24 AM #33
      True, but I believe you pay for it anyways, just looked it up, a 12 foot box truck is going to set you back $360 from Cleveland to Chicago one-way. I can't remember where they have pick up rentals, but I thought it was equally as expensive.

34. 05-25-2012 01:47 PM #34
      True, but I believe you pay for it anyways, just looked it up, a 12 foot box truck is going to set you back $360 from Cleveland to Chicago one-way. I can't remember where they have pick up rentals, but I thought it was equally as expensive.
      And that won't include the dolly or gas.

I can get a hitch on my Equinox for $200 without even shopping around.

Vehicles
      1989 Porsche 944, 2006 VW GTI, 2014 Mazda 6
      05-25-2012 02:35 PM #35
      Okay, so someone has to spill the beans here. I can't wait until June 3 to find out what this mystery car is.
      Want to find out where the current Free driving events are being held? Have one to add to the list? Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      You'd think this was a purse forum with all the blathering about stitching and gauges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast