VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Is this MINI owner an idiot, or what?

29K views 177 replies 89 participants last post by  boraIV333 
#1 ·
He seems to have a lot of supporters. He did the first oil change on a turbo MINI at 32,000 miles. He has a lot of supporters on this site. His contention is that the car should have told him to change the oil. Barring that, he thinks the dealer should have told him to change the oil. It's everyone's responsibility, but his.

Idiot, or does he have a case?

http://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-turbo-replacement-denied-under-warranty.html

#10 ·
Not necessarily.

On my car car (a recent BMW product -- I am assuming it uses the same system), it tells you when it's time to CHANGE the oil.

You guys must have also missed the part where he went to the dealership (well before 32k) and they told him not to change the oil until the oil change light appeared.

My wife's 128i did not demand its first oil change until 19,000 miles. When we brought it in before that, they told us to wait for the oil change/service light to come on. So that's what we did.

#6 ·
I'm not surprised given there are BMW service intervals that suggest up to 20k oil changes now, but 32k seems a bit optimistic of him.

In the end he's expected to have "common sense", but at the same time if dealers (like VW) are holding customers to the standard and denying warranty work if oil was not changed on the appropriate interval (and even with the exact spec oil VW specifies), that should work both ways, and the dealer and/or car shoud clearly have said something, although what happened here is way beyond expectations.

I know I feel cheated when I have my oil changed and the dealers forgets to put the sticker on the window with the next service mileage.:D

#12 ·
You are leaving quite a lot of the story, out, Barry.

It wasn't like he just waited until 32k to change the oil. He had had the car serviced a number of times in the interval, and noboby changed his oil. In fact, they told him to wait until the change oil notification came on.

We have a leased BMW with the same thing. Because we have the BMW free maintenance thing, I rely 100% on the dealership to change the oil. They tell me that they won't service the car until the service light comes on, then I won't bring it in until the service light comes on.

I sounds like it may have been a similar situation here.

#13 ·
Owner may be an idiot.

But he says he had the car at the dealer for other servicing and they never talked to him about getting an oil change.

He even asked the service advisor about getting an oil change and was told he could go for a long time without a change.

So there seems to be problems with the car, the dealer service AND the owner. So IMO, he should be responsible for 1/3 the cost of repair. (Jk).

#14 ·
I know some Hondas and BMWs do not have a specific oil change interval, but rather an on-board oil life monitor (in BMW's case likely designed to minimize services covered under complimentary maintenance coverage). The same BMWs don't even come with dipsticks anymore.

If the MINI is in the same boat as the BMW... granted common sense would encourage you to change the oil anyway... would an average owner have a just argument that they were following what they were told in the owner's manual and by the salesman to follow?

#16 ·
Of course.

My BMW has no dipstick, and no set intervals. Because I own my car, and because it's modified, I change mine every ~8,000 just to be safe.

But my wife's 128i went 19,000 before its first oil change. The dealership told us to wait until the light came on (Because there is no defined interval). That's what we did.

Would I wait 32,000 miles? No. But I also know a bit about cars. If you have a free maintenance program, you sort of have to depend on teh dealership to tell you when things need to be done. You can't just drive the car in and demand service -- it's only when the lights come on the dash that you get it.

#15 ·
The CSB will throw up quite the notification if any service is due in any late-model BMW or Mini. Its not like a little teeny light will turn on ... it will happen every time you start the car until its reset.

Somebody (the owner or the Dealer) isn't telling the truth.

#178 ·
The CSB will throw up quite the notification if any service is due in any late-model BMW or Mini. Its not like a little teeny light will turn on ... it will happen every time you start the car until its reset.

Somebody (the owner or the Dealer) isn't telling the truth.
Agreed with the response......seems the Mini owner is only voicing HIS side of the story.

Nevertheless , 30k with no oil change.......IDIOT

#21 ·
I am a very conscientious owner. When I saw there was no oil change schedule when I got home and read my manual 2 yrs ago, I called my salesman. He said "mini (the car itself) will tell you when the oil needs changing and based on each individual driver. Based on that, I had the oil changed only when I went in for the service (as indicated that quick second on dial 1 when you start your car) and if the oil light comes on.
You were saying...

#18 ·
im sure that BMW/Mini will repair it an 0 cost to him. im surprised that they are giving him crap to begin with.

#24 ·
You have to maintain the vehicle to the warranties standards in order for the warranty to stay valid. It's on him. I know that every 3000 miles I have to change my oil. Everyone should...

#45 ·
My 2002 MCS gave me an oil symbol indication and mileage countdown from 200 miles or so until my oil change was due, and a negative mileage indicated if I went past it. Guess they got rid of that since then at some point.

I always keep track of it in my head, but its easy since I change it every 2,000 miles and on even number intervals :D.

#46 ·
you can't depend entirely on the computer, as if it malfunctions, it could give false-readings

its highly doubtful the computer malfunctioned

whats to say an owner never does the oil change, "claims" they didn't get the notice, and sues for a new car ?

the driver was concientious , but not enouht to do a manual check ?

19k is a long stretch, and that number isn't set in stone, if you live in a more extreme environment or have heavy driving

he didn't maintain the car simply

i can't sue the knife manufacturer b/c there was no disclaimer on the blade right ?

#47 ·
the driver was concientious , but not enouht to do a manual check ?
On many new BMWs (and MINIs are BMWs) there is no way to check, other than to have the dealer tell you if it's "ready." No dipsticks.

he didn't maintain the car simply
If he was told by teh service department that it wasn't ready, then he did everything the manual tells you to do, which is maintaining the car according to the manual. Yes, we find it extreme, but that's the way of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.