Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: mk3 vr6 steering rack

1. Member
      Vehicles
      95 GTI VR
      05-24-2012 07:03 PM #1
      Feels like i have a flat tire. Car will pull left then right. Recently replaced everything up front, tie rods, axles, ball joints and all mounts. I think its the steering rack, need opinions

Vehicles
      '96 GTI 12v + '03 GTI 24v + '99 CR-V 16v
      05-24-2012 10:00 PM #2
      typically if it's the rack, it'll leak out the ends.
      Things I need to purchase:
      ~mk4 golf driver's fender - Silverstone
      ~mk3 "GTI" front grille emblem, red, mk3 font

3. Member
      Vehicles
      95 GTI VR
      05-28-2012 02:35 PM #3
      Is there a bearing or joint that can go bad in the steering column?

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 07:01 PM #4
      yes, does your wheel wiggle?

I had a bad bearing in my Corrado column, the wheel wiggled like a mofo - had to change the column out.

5. 05-28-2012 08:17 PM #5
      Happen slowly over time? Could be the rack adjustment bolt if so. I'm pretty sure it adjust how tight the gear on the column end is against the rack.

Beyond that, sway end links and sub-frame mounts. My sub-frame mounts are shot, same situation as you. Waving but all other rubber/etc replaced, most with poly.

Same experience in neutral coasting highway speeds?
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.
      Example of TCL's standards

6. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      05-29-2012 10:25 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by emkaytree View Post
      Happen slowly over time? Could be the rack adjustment bolt if so. I'm pretty sure it adjust how tight the gear on the column end is against the rack.

Beyond that, sway end links and sub-frame mounts. My sub-frame mounts are shot, same situation as you. Waving but all other rubber/etc replaced, most with poly.
      WTF are you talking about? MK3 subframes do not have mount inserts. MK4's do. The only soft mounts are in the front motor mount cross member which would have zero effect on steering.
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      05-29-2012 10:34 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      WTF are you talking about? MK3 subframes do not have mount inserts. MK4's do. The only soft mounts are in the front motor mount cross member which would have zero effect on steering.
      uh oh...here we go...another pissing contest fanatic.

just help the guy, don't sit here and bash people who aren't as godly about jettas as you....no?
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      05-29-2012 10:45 AM #8
      Unless it's leaking, it's probably not the rack.. Check control arm bushings and alignment.
      exklusiv

9. Member
      Vehicles
      95 GTI VR
      05-29-2012 06:27 PM #9
      replaced the control arm bushings with r32's last year so they're good. /Maybe it is as simple as getting it aligned, for once. Taking it tomorrow.

10. 05-29-2012 11:21 PM #10
      WTF are you talking about? MK3 subframes do not have mount inserts.
      WTF are YOU talking about. mk3 subframes do have inserts.
      http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk3subu.html
      You can also have a machine shop give you solids if you gave them the dimensions. Worn sub-mounts cause play and even noise over bumps. Ask me how I know. Ask me how it vanished after I replaced.
      The only soft mounts are in the front motor mount cross member which would have zero effect on steering.
      Correct. Win the prize?

In addition, I did give some food for thought for OP. So, anything else?
      Last edited by emkaytree; 05-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
      Did you know that it's not pronounced Em Kay ? ALL OF THE CAR LOUNGE WILL BE HAPPY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT. SERIOUSLY. IT STANDS FOR MARK. DID YOU KNOW THAT? BEFORE THAT A1,A2, A3, ETC WAS USED. LIVE UP TO TCL STANDARDS BEFORE YOU GET ON MY ASS. THAT'S DISGUSTING.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2012 11:47 PM #11
      WTF are YOU talking about. mk3 subframes do have inserts.
      http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk3subu.html
      Those are for the front cross member that again would have ZERO effect on steering.

There are NO INSERTS anywhere on the front subframe.

(B4 passat subframe for reference - very similar but not the same but the easist pic I could find on the fly)

I've spent the last few minutes stalking your posts.. you need to stop. Your wordy responses to sound like you know what you are talking about arent very helpful to anyone.
      exklusiv

12. 05-30-2012 01:12 PM #12
      Wrong sir. Wrong. They do effect handling and stiffness. The cross member is considered part of the sub-frame. Stiffer frame corners better. Not only are you calling an experienced mark 3 owner wrong, but also black forest industries. A long and dark road you're headed down.

You're sig fails pretty hard. Never seen afazz's or other quality work? Do you own a mark 3? No? Piss off. You, stamos, all of them, can piss right the hell off.
      Last edited by emkaytree; 05-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 08:59 PM #13
      Wrong sir. Wrong. They do effect handling and stiffness. The cross member is considered part of the sub-frame. Stiffer frame corners better. Not only are you calling an experienced mark 3 owner wrong, but also black forest industries. A long and dark road you're headed down.

You're sig fails pretty hard. Never seen afazz's or other quality work? Do you own a mark 3? No? Piss off. You, stamos, all of them, can piss right the hell off.
      You take cutting/pasting regurgitating misinformation to a whole new level. Exactly why I have avoided the MK3 forums for so long..

Nope never owned an MK3

My VR swapped cabrio in 1998

My pop's old 3.2TT with My (exGF's) supercharged GTI and my Shrick'd GLX

Shrick'd GLX with my (exexGF's) GLX

How bout the current rides.
      VR swapped 4 door with newer GTI

Mexican Glass.. thanks Pineapple

Or my Turbo VR Cabby that Im in the middle of building

Oh wait my daily isnt and MK3

I dont have pics of my other red turbo'd vr6 GTI.. and then there's been 6 or 7 other MK3's that I dont really have time to dig up pictures of, not to mention the countless other cars Ive built for friends and customers.

Dont get in a pissing match with me kid.. I have forgotten more then you could ever copy and paste from some crappy source online.

:COUNTBLAH OUT:
      Last edited by ..Derek..; 05-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      05-30-2012 10:14 PM #14
      emkaytree,
      Front crossmember bushings do not affect handling. You are wrong. Front crossmember bushings affect the stiffness of the cradle holding the front of the motor. This definitely improves power transfer and can make the car feel more solid - but handling? NO. You are wrong. It is not part of the suspension, and it's not structural enough to the frame of the car to make a difference for handling.

oh s**t I didn't know that was you

15. Member
      Vehicles
      95 GTI VR
      06-02-2012 10:36 AM #15
      Man, so tollk the car to my buddy for an alignment. The toe was off a degree and a half. So it handles a lot better now. Good luck with the arguing.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      06-02-2012 11:11 AM #16

welcome to the layer cake

17. Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2012 10:53 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by GTIVRob6 View Post
      Man, so tollk the car to my buddy for an alignment. The toe was off a degree and a half. So it handles a lot better now. Good luck with the arguing.
      Unless it's leaking, it's probably not the rack.. Check control arm bushings and alignment.

exklusiv

Vehicles
      98 gti vr6
      06-03-2012 05:30 AM #18
      Dont get in a pissing match with me kid.. I have forgotten more then you could ever copy and paste from some crappy source online.

LOL, why do i have deja vu right now.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      95 GTI VR
      06-09-2012 10:15 AM #19
      No good. Got an alignment and it seemed better. I drive about 40 miles a day on the highway and noticed that it still drives like a flat tire. Had the tires checked and they are all fine. So there is a way to adjust the rack? Both places i took it for an alignment said the rack is tight. Also noticed when going over speed bumps it sounds like something is loose and makes a chirp noise. When driving it pulls left and then on high speeds it sways back and forth.
      I have had apinhole leak somewhere causing my coolant to burp out of the coolant reservior. Could it be possible that it has benn leaking on the LCA bushing causing it to fail?

Vehicles
      97 Ginster DE/95 Jetta GLX (RIP)
      06-09-2012 10:28 AM #20
      I think there is a adjustment screw on the zf rack itself, but I was under the impression never to mess with it. check your bentley manual on that one or search for adjustments on it I quess.