Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Doing head gasket in 2.0 AEG after the car had sat for a few months...

1. 05-24-2012 07:28 PM #1
      Just trying to get some advice and maybe a ballpark estimate of how screwed I am here. The head gasket went out in this car around October of last year. White smoke billowing out and all and I haven't had a chance to get around to working on it until this week. I got the head off and it looks pretty bad in there, there was coolant/water all down in the cylinders and a lot of rust. What I'm wondering is if I can clean it up with the block in the car or if I will have to take it out to get it cleaned. And what I should replace in addition to the gasket. I can take more pictures if needed. Thanks for any help.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      81 jetta ABAT holset hy35 01 jetta 1.8t
      05-26-2012 01:25 AM #2
      tough call man. get the head resurfaced, maybe wd40 the cylinders and turn the motor over a few times and wipe the cylinders down then repeat a couple of times. your compression will prob be down a bit, but unless the cylinders are really pitted, i'd say it would run ok. that is what i would do on the cheap in a pinch. you could alway rebuild it or swap the engine

Vehicles
      00 gti 2L
      05-26-2012 07:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mk2golf14s View Post
      tough call man. get the head resurfaced, maybe wd40 the cylinders and turn the motor over a few times and wipe the cylinders down then repeat a couple of times. your compression will prob be down a bit, but unless the cylinders are really pitted, i'd say it would run ok. that is what i would do on the cheap in a pinch. you could alway rebuild it or swap the engine
      when i removed my cylinder head i still had some coolant in the engine after draining. so i pretty much did what this guy blasted with wd40 trying to clean out as best as possible and turning the crank over cleaning the pistons and walls numerous times. then after i re installed everything i had the white smoke so i drove it around and used sea foam. so far everything is great no sweet smell or white smoke

4. 05-27-2012 12:16 AM #4
      Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot more at ease about it. It looks a lot better after doing what you suggested. I hosed it down and turned it over and wiped off the rusty goop with a paper towel. Now just need to find a local machine shop to get the head surfaced. I'll post back when she's all back together. Really appreciate the input.

5. 05-27-2012 02:39 PM #5
      Doing the same thing to 2 jettas at the house!!