VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk1 TDI swap

31K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  candela 
#1 ·
My friend Alex is a mechanic and we are going to put a 2002 TDI in my Mk 1 Caddy. I am new to this forum and not quite sure how this whole thing is going to work so here we go. My 1.6 recently gave up on me and I decided it was time to put in the TDI. He is a VW mechanic so he is somewhat well versed in this arena but he said I need to learn as much as possible and we thought this would be a good start to see if any of you have done this sort of swap and if you had any advise, be it good or bad, that you could share with us. I will be posting problems we encounter along the way and let you know our progress. Wish me luck!

#2 ·
I don't know **** about this...other then I'd like to do one myself! Lol I think the first step is...will it fit, and where are you going to put all the BS electronics that come with it?

#5 ·
From what i've heard, If you dont have a complete donor car. Its wayy to complicated. You'll need the motor, ECU, Probably a new cluster and wiring harness. Its "drive by wire" so the whole pedal assembly too. The clutch is hydraulic operation. You'd need the tdi shift linkage too probably. And im thinking you'd need a different engine mount set-up. Probably a carriage like a vr6 swap needs.

basically everything engine and transmission related, not to mention the drive axles are larger from the old cars. So something would have to be done with your wheel yokes. Or i think you can swap in the 90mm bits into the diff flanges.

Mk1daily on here told me about the tdi Top end franken motor which would be much easier. You'd need the injection pump, and head from a TDI, as well as the gas pedal stuff but the transmission and block stay in the car.

#6 ·
IIRC the key and steering column are matched to the ECU, so you need that too.

CRSMP5 would know for sure...but he got banned for telling someone to stop being a *** and he will not re register under a new name. He is on the GTD forum though.

#7 · (Edited)
ive got a '96 1Z in my caddy. i had the whole car so it wasnt that bad. youll need to aquire tranny mounts for starters, side and rear, or make a set, the other 2 you can snag from your stock motor. i made mine, you can find them for sale at a few places, but they are spendy ($300+). for axles, i used a set out of a 90's cabrio, has the 100mm cups, but still the right length and bolts up to mk1 hubs. i used the wiring from the donor and weeded out the stuff i didnt need (power windows, power locks, etc.) thats the main stuff, once you have that, itll slide right in. you should have an 02J tranny, that makes it easy. get the parts for a 5 speed Eurovan, itll make it a cable tranny instead of a hydraulic unit. the only thing youll have to do is thread the end of the van cable to take the mk1 plastic end. thats all i can think of at the moment, its early! also, check out TDIclub.com, lots of info there about your specific swap, lots of people put them in toyotas and suzukis.

#14 ·
Hey look up lagomorph he's done the swap and there's a couple others. I'm about to have a tdi out of a 99 beetle swapped into my scirocco. I'd do it myself but working out of state 9 months of the year at 72-84 hours of the week won't allow me the time to do it myself....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.