Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Corrado Parking/City Light Problem, Only 3 out of 4 get power.

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 1.8 T
      05-24-2012 09:01 PM #1
      Hello Everyone,
      I have encountered a problem while trying to wire up my lights. The car is a 90' Corrado with Euros and a relayed harness.

First click of the headlight switch should be parking lights, and it is, but not all of them. I get power to both the rears and the passenger side front city light. The drivers side front only gets about 1.00 volts, which obviously doesn't light my bulb.

I did some searching and found some people had some luck by relocating a wire on the back of the headlight switch. I did this. I moved blk/wh #56 to the "NSL" spot on the switch. This stopped the indicator light from glowing (like people said it would) and allowed me to have the parking lights without playing with the high beam stalk switch. This is great, but I still get no power to the drivers front light.

I removed all the wiring to this light to eliminate a possible short problem. Currently I have only a 6' piece of wire coming out of headlight plug at the fuse box A1 (yellow) spot # 4 which is a 0.5 mm Gray/Black wire. connected to fuse #8. I still only get 1 volt or so from this pin when the headlight switch is in either on position.

I'm stumped, I don't know why the other 3 work and I don't get any juice at this pin. Looking at the Bentley it seems that nothing else really connects to this wire except fuse #8( checked and is good) and the internal brass fuse box connections(which I feel are fine).

Any help would be appreciated.
      Last edited by Ultraflux3; 05-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
      Corrado

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      05-26-2012 12:44 PM #2
      I'd be popping the fusebox out, so you can check the voltage there.

With how the parking lights on the car are wired, you have only a few possibilities here:
      - broken or corroded wire from fusebox to LF light
      - poor contact at fusebox (it happens!)
      - internal fault in fusebox.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 5
      things currently broken (QSW): 5!!

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 1.8 T
      05-27-2012 03:59 PM #3
      Are these lights tied into the foglight circuit somehow?
      I wired the fog lights up and put the #53 fog light relay in spot #10 on the box and now I get about 5 volts to the left front city light instead of 1 volt, before I did the fog lights.
      Corrado

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 86 QSW (still unnamed); 90 325iX (Nina - RIP); 89 325iX (kid's new car)
      05-27-2012 04:44 PM #4
      They are, somewhat. The parking lamps circuit provides operating voltage to the fog lamps relay coil.

If I read that right, you wired your fog lamps the 'right' way (read: the factory way), yes?
      If you did, you'd have had to pull the fusebox. Therefore, you disturbed the connectors (appaarently, in a good way.)

Pull the fusebox. Check voltage to the LF parking lamps at connector A1/04
      (reference: http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/CE2.html )
      I'll bet that you measure 5v there (and, that it varies by wiggling things around.)
      Possibly that terminal has opened up a bit (therefore, is loose on the fusebox pin), and/or the crimp (on the harness terminal) has failed.
      - Cup

Vehicles
      90 Corrado 1.8 T
      05-27-2012 07:14 PM #5
      Yes, I wired the fogs as per Bentley. So I was playing with the fuse box, perhaps that played a role in upping the voltage after the fog install.

So I tore the fuse box down again and pulled the "A" connector, I ohm'd out the pigtail/yellow connector(A1/4) and it was good, so I moved to the fuse box next. I took a look at all the spades coming out of the fuse box. Low and behold spade #4 was slightly discolored compared to all the other spades in this section. I scraped the spade shiny and applied dielectric grease.

Everything now works as it should.

P.S. I love that A2 Resource site, I have been using it since it came online.

P.S. 2 Cuppie, That's a nice looking Rocco you have there. Thanks for your suggestions.
      Last edited by Ultraflux3; 05-27-2012 at 07:17 PM.
      Corrado

Vehicles
      06-01-2012 12:01 AM #6
      You're welcome.

And, thanks for the post-op feedback. It's always good (and, shockingly uncommon) to actually get 'it's fixed!', and what the problem was, once the problem is fixed.
      (aside from politeness, it also helps out the occasional forum-searcher in the future.)

Enjoy your now-working lights!
      - Cup