Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: USRT smart shift

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit, 08 Jetta, 01 Jetta
      05-24-2012 10:00 PM #1
      So I have recently purchased and installed a smart shift kit from USRT. I have run into some issues. First, the new delrin ball is too big to fit inside of the relay lever. I verified my relay lever is for a 5 speed. I measured a new ball (30mm). MissingLinkz says the ball should be 30mm but the ball I got from USRT is 31.44mm. I called them about it but was told the ball I received is the right size. They've never had this issue before. They said I could sand it down if I wanted or shove it in the relay lever and it will work. I Installed as they said and just as I thought the shifter is very very stiff. Forcing it into the lever some delrin was shaved off and created flat spots. The second issue I have is with the delrin bushings for the pivot on the trans ( you know the one with the 13mm head and a 10mm nut on the bottom). The bushings had to be pressed into that pivot which doesn't make sense because it needs to move on those bushings. Since the pivot can't move on the bushings it moves the bolt and nut. Metal on metal. Very tight. Not smooth at all. Has anyone dealt with either of these issues? Im considering sending the kit back. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      I work at a stealership.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      05-24-2012 10:17 PM #2
      Well I had many of the same issues. The delrin ball was too big, I shaved it down, but in. The nd it pretty much sucked. The delrin bushings I had to massage almost all of them, some had to be drilled bigger others sanded. Then the aluminum spacers used on the shift arm to weighted link were too small and the whole thing was sloppy, I had to get new ones made, and lastly the feel with the weight sucked IMO so I had a aluminum rod machined to replace it. For the price I was disappointed in the quality of the kit, would I do it again? Probably not, I did not find a big enough diff compared to fresh item joints at a fraction kid the price.
      Old sciroccos never die....they just go faster....sometimes.......
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      84 gti aba-t, 2002 new beetle TDI, 2011 yaris :)
      05-24-2012 11:08 PM #3
      ^ co sign... I wasn't impressed. If I could do it all again id just buy an oem bushings replacment kit
      A solution exists, and is left for the reader as an exercise.
      Quote Originally Posted by hans j View Post
      Seems people switched to using Mk1,2,3 when the Mk4 came out. If it didn't change, I could have said I drive an A4, A5 or A6. You would question Audi or VW?
      Or "My A5 is so awesome"
      Yes, an A5 Audi is awesome. Mk5 base model Jetta, meh, it's no Audi.

Vehicles
      1982 VW Rabbit PU/ Caddy
      05-24-2012 11:26 PM #4
      I have the USRT shift kit. I like it because everything is adjustable, and the weight is nice. BUT I didn't use all of it....like the delrin ball didnt work so just bought new original and I didn't pay for it the previous owner included it with purchase of my caddy.

5. 05-24-2012 11:43 PM #5
      I had the same issues as noted with the bushing replacement kit.

How is it that they are selling this kit for good money and most of it is unusable?

I thought for some reason I may have been one of the few having these issues since the car is a 78'. I figured some of the parts may have been differently sized.

Neither of us should have to sand down or redrill holes in parts when it's sold as a replacement kit. I call bull**** on this one and Im gojng to get on the horn to them about it.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      05-24-2012 11:56 PM #6
      Ya I tried to get some install info by email and had no reply, all things considered the kit is too pricey for a bunch of spherical joints and I'll fitting hardware. But once you cut off the ball joints, there is not much turning back.
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

7. Member
      05-25-2012 12:15 AM #7
      This kit works quite well for me, and they are very helpful if any issue or questions do arise
      http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSa...tLinkage.shtml
      injunsummer is now gromel

Vehicles
      Currently: 1984 Jetta GLi ABA
      05-25-2012 02:18 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by InjunSummer View Post
      This kit works quite well for me, and they are very helpful if any issue or questions do arise
      I can't speak to the USRT setup but I wholly endorse the kit above. I love mine!

9. 05-28-2012 01:18 AM #9
      I make replacement delrin relay balls. $15 which includes shipping. Never had a complaint from mine

10. Member
      Vehicles
      81 rabbit L 16v , 81 caddy diesel
      05-28-2012 01:28 AM #10
      Smart shift pffft lol

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Diesel
      05-28-2012 09:05 AM #11
      yea, i had to sand down the relay bushings.
      didnt use the ball included as mine was fairly new from the previous owner.
      that 13mm/10mm bolt was hard as hell to get in, had to sand on the shaft of it as well, and ended up messing up the threads trying to get it back out one time. so i need to get a new one (anyone know where i can get one?) but its working fine for now.
      definitely better than what i started out with (couldnt find first, sloppy shifting) so i cant say as im really disappointed with it, but a factory bushing kit would more than likely have been all i needed.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      05-28-2012 07:35 PM #12
      This is interesting info...was about to buy this kit. Maybe they made changes since they have a new updated version?

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      05-28-2012 07:38 PM #13
      My bushings were not bad, the biggest difference really IMO, came from a new bushing on the main rod, all the other stuff was not in bad shape so the usrt kit did not impress me, not to mention I also installed the spherical bearing base they sell, that I like!
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

Vehicles
      05-28-2012 08:36 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ziggirocco View Post
      My bushings were not bad, the biggest difference really IMO, came from a new bushing on the main rod, all the other stuff was not in bad shape so the usrt kit did not impress me, not to mention I also installed the spherical bearing base they sell, that I like!
      I have been eyeing that spherical shifter base. Is it that great of an improvement? Did it fit well?

In other news I have been in contact with the guys at USRT. I was told that the relay ball will break in. As far as the bushings for the pivot on the trans. I was told they have to enlarge the tolerances in consideration of worn parts. So the bushings are sand and ream to fit. I'm going to give it a shot. We'll see how it goes.
      I work at a stealership.

Vehicles
      1987 16v scirocco
      05-28-2012 11:29 PM #15
      I like the fact of the solid fool of the spherical base, fit was great (made by SCCH), and the fact that it will likely outlast the car is great as well.
      www.ziggituning.com

My Project...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      05-29-2012 01:34 AM #16
      Last edited by suburbangeorge; 05-29-2012 at 01:36 AM.
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      1 clunker & 2 nicer clunkers
      05-29-2012 02:27 AM #17
      Wow, it's been almost 2 years since you posted that and I still have both kits sitting in the same box. That's pretty sad...

-Todd

Vehicles
      05-29-2012 06:26 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by suburbangeorge View Post
      I wish that thread came up in my earlier searches. That definitely would have helped with the install. Thanks. And it did confirm I had all the aluminum bushings in the right places. There is little mention of them in the installation instructions.
      I work at a stealership.

Vehicles
      '89 BMW 525, '92 Cabriolet, '88 Cabriolet, '83 Jetta sedan
      05-29-2012 01:37 PM #19
      Went through the same issues with this kit. I lost 2 of the Delrin replacement balls while driving, been using a new factory one instead which works fine. I paid for the short shift which never arrived, found out they were not longer carrying it, talked to someone about reimbursement and that also never happened. Also have the SCCH spherical base, which is great. Overall, the quality is good but just expected easier install (better instructions) and more exact fit considering the cost. If everything were like $100- then I could understand fitment issues. That being said, I do love the feel now that it's broken it. But they screwed me out of money so i'm done with them.
      Last edited by nairmac; 05-29-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Vehicles
      79 Rabbit, 96 Jetta
      05-29-2012 01:48 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by InjunSummer View Post
      I like my Missing Linkz shift kit as well

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Caddy 16V, '87 Cabby 2L, '09 Jetta 2.0T, '66 Suburban 4WD, '57 Austin Healey V8, '04 Dodge Ram
      05-29-2012 01:51 PM #21
      MissingLinkz http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSa...tml#ShortThrow sells a bolt on "short shift" that extends your stock relay lever for $15.
      Classified forum rules require that you post a price. If you don't know what to ask, they suggest that you search past FS threads.

So, when your item sells, please don't edit out your price and description when you mark it "SOLD". Rather, edit to show selling price.