Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Drive: 2013 Nissan Altima

05-25-2012 12:10 AM #1

Quote Originally Posted by IL
      What's the best-selling car in the country? Easy, right? Toyota Camry.

But what's No. 2? Honda Accord? Ford Fusion? Hyundai Sonata? Good guesses all, but wrong.

It's the Nissan Altima. That's right, Nissan's best-seller is the car that people rarely factor into the midsize sedan equation. Even we'll admit the Altima is one of those cars that slips from our minds sometimes, that is until we drive one again. Then it's, "Whoa, this car is really good — and a serious hot rod. Handles well, too."

If this fifth-generation major makeover doesn't make the Altima pop instantly to your mind in the same fashion as the Camry and Accord, it probably never will. Because the 2013 Nissan Altima just got even better. Quite a bit better, in fact
      FULL ARTICLE

Quote Originally Posted by C&D
      As many an Elvis impersonator can attest, an entire career can be cobbled out of a likeness to someone famous. In the car world, affordable models often copy the look of more expensive machines to enhance their appeal. Some might call that cheesy; others call it democratization of design.

When the original Nissan Altima launched 20 years ago, it wore a toddler-sized version of the Infiniti J30’s rhinestone jumpsuit. That first Altima was smaller than its competitors and a bit rough around the edges; it had fake wood the color of Cheetos; and it came bearing a completely unknown name. None of that mattered. It started at $13,349, but the world thought you’d bought a $34,895 J30. Nissan sold 120,000 Altimas that first year, 20 percent more than planned
      FULL ARTICLE
      Last edited by omoderncultureo; 05-25-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      05-25-2012 12:19 AM #2
      Expect to see many on the road.

3. Member
      05-25-2012 12:21 AM #3
      I can't wait to rent one!

Vehicles
      1997 Mazda Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      05-25-2012 01:24 AM #4
      CVT pretty much means I would never consider this car, even used.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      Ford Mustang GT
      05-25-2012 06:19 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      CVT pretty much means I would never consider this car, even used.
      +1. Maximas and Altimas will never be in my shopping list again as long as they are only CVT.
      '00 Mustang GT 5MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

6. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      05-25-2012 07:23 AM #6
      Interior -
      Exterior -

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-25-2012 07:53 AM #7
      Got a ride in a 2010 Altima 2.5S the other day. Not a bad car all in all in comparison to a similar Toyota/Honda product but that CVT was just odd. I never heard a gear shift and was watching the tach while she drove. It all just made no sense to me and I kept picturing a rubber band where the transmission was stretching over and over again.

Sorry it's a big deal breaker for me, especially in a Maxima. Sports Sedan with CVT

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      05-25-2012 08:09 AM #8
      I expect to see many by me. Nissans are huge out here for some reason, even with there being no dealer nearby.

Vehicles
      2009 Nissan Altima
      05-25-2012 08:11 AM #9
      Good looking car inside and out

Vehicles
      2003 GTi VR6, 2006 Touareg V8
      05-25-2012 08:21 AM #10
      Sort of Lexus-ish pinched grill. Do not want

Vehicles
      Honduh VTAK
      05-25-2012 08:24 AM #11
      Looks like a nice interior. Exterior is Maxima/Versa cues smashed together...not terrible, hopefully they finally dumped the rocket boy taillights.

Alties are still one of the best values out there, lotta car for the money.
      Now go get your shinebox

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-25-2012 08:50 AM #12
      That HAS to be the best new midsize sedan interior. I'm really liking it. The whole center console and dash looks great along with the new instrument cluster.

The performance numbers don't quite match up to C&D's test of the Camry V6, but none-the-less it's a performer and Nissan seems to be executing the CVT pretty well.

I don't know why, but I really like the overall package. Seems higher quality and has some class compared to the cost-cutting we've seen lately from the other manufacturers.
      Last edited by jepva; 05-25-2012 at 08:53 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      05-25-2012 09:13 AM #13
      How's zero to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds (5.9 seconds with a 1-foot rollout like at a drag strip) grab you? For perspective, that's over half a second quicker than the last Altima V6 we tested.
      Didn't Motorweek tested the first VQ35 Altima way back in 02 that did mid-5 0-60?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      Cayman S
      05-25-2012 09:15 AM #14
      Yeah this seems wrong. The original Altima V6 did it in like 6.5.

CVT ruins all I guess.

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 09:20 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      Didn't Motorweek tested the first VQ35 Altima way back in 02 that did mid-5 0-60?
      Probably with the manual, and they were lighter cars back then. This one has much better fuel economy though, and still essentially the same performance.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      05-25-2012 09:20 AM #16
      Edmunds is always slow.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

17. 05-25-2012 09:51 AM #17
      I expect to see a crap ton of 2.5's on the road. They are everywhere by me.

Vehicles
      '13 Focus, '08.5 MS3, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      05-25-2012 09:53 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      I expect to see a crap ton of 2.5's on the road. They are everywhere by me.
      Yep. The 3.5L Altimas and Maximas are really the way to go though. The CVT works really well with torque at its disposal.
      Looking for a ratty Miata? My '90 is for sale.
      http://www.speedsportlife.com
      Quote Originally Posted by mhjett View Post
      4+ pages and at least 1 death threat in a compact-car comparison test thread - oh wait, this is TCL.

05-25-2012 10:22 AM #19
      Edmunds, Consumer Reports, and other sources test acceleration the way an average Joe would who is trying to see what his car is able to do - they mash the gas pedal. The driver's foot is on the brake and they very quickly move said foot to the gas pedal and pin it to the floor. Magazines with a stronger enthusiast bend take the time to figure out how to make the car go faster than simply stomping on the gas. For example, they experiment with building up the revs to different points and then launching the car.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

Vehicles
      1997 Mazda Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      05-25-2012 10:38 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      they mash the gas pedal. The driver's foot is on the brake and they very quickly move said foot to the gas pedal and pin it to the floor.
      Have to disagree, I've seen an IL test video where they were using brake-torque.

I think the more important factor is that C&D, Motor Trend and the ilk correct for 'variables' like atmospheric pressure, incline, what have you, after the acceleration runs are complete. Whether this is to your benefit as a consumer is questionable, but it certainly means that fans of the car will certainly go to them for their citation.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-25-2012 10:50 AM #21
      For some reason, there is not a single Nissan that does a thing for me. I'm not even interested in them as a company.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

22. 05-25-2012 11:09 AM #22
      In 2007 I chose a VW Jetta 2.5 Wolfsburg Edition over the Altima 3.5 SE. We rent cars/SUVs/vans for vacation because we can and it's fun, so that year I rented an Altima to see what I missed. Not a fair comparison as my Jetta was optioned out and the Altima was a four banger renter, but I did get a feel for the car. We were use to the CVT in the Altima, we have a 2005 Murano with CVT.
      I liked the interior of my Jetta more, the wife did too. Most impressive was the gas mileage of the Altima though. I literally thought the gas gage was broken. Interior was less impressive. It was like sitting in a plastic cave on the inside.
      Now the newer 2013 Altima's exterior looks OK but that interior is a huge improvement the older models. They should sell well. Just don't like that steering wheel, the rest is sweet. As far as the CVT, we have never had any problem with it in our Murano, she is still going strong. We maintained the SUV per factory manual's schedule, it has been one of the best vehicles I have owned as far as reliability goes
      For mu next vehicle, I feel that I want a more sporty car, AWD or RWD, so I get the response from some that they won't opt for the CVT. But for the masses out there, they will love it. Seemless shifting, good fuel economy, good passing power on the highway, we love it in the Murano.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Honda Accord coupe V6 6-speed
      05-25-2012 11:14 AM #23
      So the Altima has joined the Maxima in the two-pedal, CVT-only ranks? Verily, there is no God. Right at this time in 2002, exactly ten years ago, I was fapping madly to the new V6 manual Altima; now, this? How the mighty have fallen...
      Quote Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
      And now I remember why I avoid TCL, 0-60mph in 6 seconds is slow, and McLarens are boring.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      You realize what "run a train" is a euphemism for, right?
      Not that there's anything wrong with that.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Yakkiity yak, bull****s back!

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      05-25-2012 11:14 AM #24
      Great looking car inside and out. Looks better than just about any other mid-sizer in my opinion. That interior really looks nice too.

Seems like the early reviews are all really positive as well, this should be a hit. I'm not really interested in this class of cars. But this would be my choice if I had to choose.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

25. Swallow Doretti
      05-25-2012 11:40 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
      True story: Motorweek's drag strip isn't actually level.

26. Swallow Doretti
      05-25-2012 11:41 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Great looking car inside and out. Looks better than just about any other mid-sizer in my opinion. That interior really looks nice too.

Seems like the early reviews are all really positive as well, this should be a hit. I'm not really interested in this class of cars. But this would be my choice if I had to choose.
      This, though the apparent lack of memory seats would be a deal-breaker for me. Still, this should move to the top of midsize-sedan shoppers' lists.

27. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-25-2012 11:41 AM #27
      It'll sell well, I'm sure.

Vehicles
      2007 Accord EX-L
      05-25-2012 12:30 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      +1. Maximas and Altimas will never be in my shopping list again as long as they are only CVT.
      Why are CVTs such a deal breaker for people?
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      05-25-2012 12:31 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      People can't handle change.

Vehicles
      2007 Accord EX-L
      05-25-2012 12:33 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      For some reason, there is not a single Nissan that does a thing for me. I'm not even interested in them as a company.
      Thats how I feel about Toyota and to a certain extent, Kia. If you had said this about Nissan in the late 90s it would make sense as they were really in the crapper then.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbiodiesel!
      It really is the perfect, no excuses all-rounder for the rich guy who's accustomed to having it all - the Hybrid version especially. It's like an F-150 Raptor banged an M5 in the men's room of a biker bar. Nobody really wanted the results, but damn - what a set of genes.

Vehicles
      05-25-2012 12:39 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by maskedSONY View Post
      They've received bad rep from other manufacturer's implementations. However, Nissan's CVT has been highly praised and so is the new one in the Infiniti JX. I think people who typically always drive auto, don't mind it at all, it's the hard-core manual purists who hate them.

32. 05-25-2012 12:42 PM #32
      Here's the full test by IL. Nissan seems to have done a great job with this car. I see the potential to become the segment leader. The outside styling is a bid conservative, but it's elegant and will age well.
      http://www.insideline.com/nissan/alt...and-video.html

The interior seem like a really nice place to be as well

also at 3,358 the top of the line V6 model is probably the lightest vehicle in the segment

Vehicles
      1990 Olds Delta 88, 1986 Pontiac Parisienne Safari
      05-25-2012 12:47 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      I don't like the look of current Nissans (including this one), too soft and melted-looking. But Nissan as a company is interesting to me. Globally, they're really going for the philosophy of, give the customer what they really want and nothing extra beyond that, at the lowest possible price. That's contrary to some other major automakers like Ford. From a business standpoint, I think Nissan's strategy is better. And, Carlos Ghosn is just one of the most interesting people in the auto industry right now. He always seems to innately understand what's going on in the business.

-Andrew L
      "The whole economy is hinged on potholes." --Ray Magliozzi
      Hubcap Business and Pontiac Project, both on hold while I finish The House | Philly/NJ highways blog Windshield Time

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      05-25-2012 12:56 PM #34
      agreed with the sentiments that the interior looks vastly improved. Looks way more upscale and from the consumer reports first look video, feels more upscale too.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      05-25-2012 01:01 PM #35
      Read through the TTAC review of it also, the 4 banger is only 3100lb? Thats a pretty healthy weight in this day and age for a mid-size family car....

CVT is probably fine for this. Philosophically its more of a turn-off in Maxima as they try to sell the "sports sedan" cred with that car. CVT also gets bad rep since a lot of the smaller cars get them, and they are bad for NVH to start, so you put a buzzing under power 4 banger with lots of noise problem and keeping the engine at a buzzing constant RPM and people just hates it....
      Last edited by RacingManiac; 05-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast