Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: 2012 Mazda6 i Sport review (dealer loaner).. Buick by Mazda, or more accurately: Wheel/Tire choice really makes a difference.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-25-2012 12:54 AM #1
      Useless words:
      So I wised up this time and took my 04 RX8 back to the dealer where I bought it new for a big job so I could get a FREE courtesy loaner (most dealers do this if you bought the vehicle there).
      It's even more driving to get there and back, but was well worth it (they did a great job on my 8's new clutch, feels/shifts better than even when new.. probably was a bad clutch assembly from the get go).

Will try and keep this concise and to the point.

My free loaner was a 2012 Mazda6 i Sport with 6k miles.
      We have all seen the base model Mazda6 driving around.
      But rule number one requires that I post pictures of this fairly new but typically boring dirty dealer loaner car.

Looks: subjective. The base wheel/tire choice made the wheel arches look like Joker Venom forced smiles.

I grabbed the keys and jumped in.

First thought: Wow this is huge!. It has more driver room than the gene pool's old 78 Oldsmobile 98. And this is still midsize?
      This is the first Mazda car I have driven where I don't have to raise the tilt steering wheel all the way up to fit my 6 foot 5 legs and allow me to see the gauges through the steering wheel.
      I could make a fist and easily fit it between the top of my head and the headliner (after dropping seat height down).
      THIS CAR IS AWESOME FOR TALL DRIVERS.
      Materials felt very good, with mostly soft touch on upper surfaces.
      I did not know that the base seat fabric was changed at some point.
      The current base black fabric was pleasing to the eye.
      (pic of earlier cloth seat for reference http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/0/6/N/1/ag...isport_int.jpg)

Lateral support is lacking, but the seats were fairly comfortable and definitely on the firm side.

Oh carp, I forgot to throw my plans in the back.

I originally was going to put them in the trunk.

But ...., I didn't want to have to climb in and collect them after my drive since the trunk was huge and deep. Spelunking should be left to the real cavers, and I do not normally pack a carbide lamp. (needs better lighting in extreme depths of trunk)

Ok, then I decided to throw them in the backseat.

..and the back seat also looked very roomy even with the driver's seat pushed all the way back.

Back up front I fidgeted with the stereo.
      The simple controls were easy to understand, and tall the console button (HVAC and stereo) felt much better than I expected. None (of the center console buttons) felt or acted cheap.
      I guess that is one plus for the base trim buyer since he gets a stereo and hvac made for higher trims.
      The base speakers are a bit boomy with the low frequencies and lack bright treble (needs tweeters).
      Both speaker issues could have been easily addressed with a proper equalizer.
      What ever happened to those?

After I drove a bit and got comfortable with the car, I played with the automatic.
      The shifter had a very heavy and consistent feel in the way it moves.
      It may be just a video game controller (no actual direct mechanical linkage), but it felt as purposeful as any I have ever driven.
      I think it looked good too, even though I would want a real leather surface versus the grained plastic shift handle.

The automatic was a pleasant surprise.
      In normal [D] mode it was quick to smoothly downshift one or two gears, and even downshifted a bit early in light braking to add some engine braking.
      Manual mode is always a mixed bag.
      When you make something basically a button press, the user expects video game instant gratification.
      And when you are driving a tight curvy road and trying to use a timed downshift, throttle lift and steering wheel jerk to get the back end loose, even a (really good for this class) 1/10th of a second delay feels like an eternity.
      I will leave it at that.

The only real build quality issue I found during my time was with the driver's door.
      For some reason, the hard plastic edge was higher than the flat surface with the window/lock buttons, and it had a bit of flash.
      If any surface needs to be right in a car, it is the armrest where the driver will have his hand 99% of the time.

And back to that wheel/tire choice.
      This car drove fine... but fine is not great or even good.
      I can't really fault the drivetrain as both the (still has a tiny hint of electric toothbrush nvh) 2.5 engine and (smooth smooth, did I say smooth) five speed transmission performed well under my heavy right foot.
      32 mpg? Really?

My question to Mazda- How the flying carp can you still be using the zoom zoom line in ads and simultaneously equipping a well tuned but still 3250 lb car with this wheel/tire package?
      (205/65R16)

On a positive note- the brakes were sporty car firm and easy to modulate even with these tires. (surprised me big time since I am spoiled my my rx8's brakes)

The entire time I drove the car I was always well aware that the tires were squishy.
      Sure, the ride quality was classic Buick-like serene even over broken pavement at speed, but it also added classic Buick-like vague on center feel, tires that roll to side and flatten when cornering, and a general sense that the car is never fully settled at speed.
      Don't get me wrong- the car still had more grip than I expected even when I intentionally flung the car into a tight corner and tried to get the back end loose (hood raise up like a tugboat cresting a wave), but these tires remove all confidence from the enthusiastic .. or even just normal driver.
      If you use the zoom zoom tagline in ads, then even the base base base models should have better tires than this.

Final thought- this car is a great "midsize" value with heavy discounts (or cheaper used).
      But please factor in the cost of upgrading the tires (and possibly wheels for plus one).
      They literally strip the fun and basic confidence from the driving experience.

-Bryan
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-26-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Spelling/content issues
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      a Lexus Hybrid
      05-25-2012 12:58 AM #2
      I rather be driving a Mk6 Jetta(loaner).

These things are rare here. Maybe too much competition.
      Fully loaded with HIDs/LEDs are though.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-25-2012 01:09 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I rather be driving a Mk6 Jetta(loaner).

These things are rare here. Maybe too much competition.
      Fully loaded with HIDs/LEDs are though.
      Base Mazda6 has soft touch dash and upper door cards, four wheel disc brakes, potent 16 valve four banger.. but I guess it lacks the two point oh well's soul.

And fwiw....
      The base base base Jetta looks just as silly with wheel covers, gap and squishy tires.

But at least it has a sporty pointy chin.

Last edited by BRealistic; 05-25-2012 at 01:28 AM.
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d; 2008 Mazda CX9
      05-25-2012 01:41 AM #4
      Rented one of these on a business trip to Albuquerque. Had 4 hours to kill from rental pickup until meeting, so I drove up the Sandia Crest highway. I put the 6 through its paces on that mostly empty, winding mountain road all the way from 6000 feet in town to 10,500 up on the top of the Crest. It handled well, went where I pointed it, was roomy and enough ommph to go up the elevations.

Good car, but lack of wagon or hatch makes me not want.
      Caretaker of the National Strategic Beer Reserve

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-25-2012 06:01 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by HarryHood View Post
      Rented one of these on a business trip to Albuquerque. Had 4 hours to kill from rental pickup until meeting, so I drove up the Sandia Crest highway. I put the 6 through its paces on that mostly empty, winding mountain road all the way from 6000 feet in town to 10,500 up on the top of the Crest. It handled well, went where I pointed it, was roomy and enough ommph to go up the elevations.

Good car, but lack of wagon or hatch makes me not want.
      Was it the base sport with these squishy tires?

And fwiw- I mainly used mine for a long commute... so the 32 mpg number was mostly interstate with some urban driving.

6. Banned
      05-25-2012 06:21 PM #6
      The Mazda 6 has always been a very underrated product, and sadly Mazda for some weird reason have never marketed it well.

I wouldn't even consider one without a manual gearbox, and like another poster mentioned, no hatch.... no wagon, no sale even though I really like the product.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      05-26-2012 11:21 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      My question to Mazda- How the flying carp can you still be using the zoom zoom line in ads and simultaneously equipping a well tuned but still 3250 lb car with this wheel/tire package?
      Not sure if you're being serious...soft sidewall high treadwear eco-tuned all-seasons are the ideal choice for a family-oriented mid-size sedan like this. Especially since that's the 170hp 4banger and not the 272hp 3.7L V6 version.

I took a bone stock Mercury Milan, which is also equipped with ~175hp and Michelin Energy tires, onto the road course at Daytona and pushed it fairly hard...I can confidently say these tires have plenty of grip for what the car is intended for--sedate road driving. The Milan, like the 6, is not for weekend track days. And on that note, I wonder if you'd fry the brake pads before you got the tires too greasy to grip anymore...

But if you were indeed being serious, what tires would you package as OEM equipment on this car?
      Quote Originally Posted by Dario Franchitti
      Modern cars are getting faster, grippier and more stable. But I only want those characteristics in a race car. It seems to me that a trend is developing when road cars are being engineered to behave like race cars -- but the truth is that driver enjoyment is way down the list of priorities for a racer. If we go down that route, it’s a slippery slope for those who love road driving.

Vehicles
      2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      05-26-2012 11:31 AM #8
      Looks odd with those wheels and tires. The base 6 in Canada comes with 17" alloys.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '05 S2000, '90 CRX
      05-26-2012 11:38 AM #9

Looks: subjective. The base wheel/tire choice made the wheel arches look like Joker Venom forced smiles.

Saw this stopped reading.

10. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-26-2012 12:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Not sure if you're being serious...soft sidewall high treadwear eco-tuned all-seasons are the ideal choice for a family-oriented mid-size sedan like this. Especially since that's the 170hp 4banger and not the 272hp 3.7L V6 version.

I took a bone stock Mercury Milan, which is also equipped with ~175hp and Michelin Energy tires, onto the road course at Daytona and pushed it fairly hard...I can confidently say these tires have plenty of grip for what the car is intended for--sedate road driving. The Milan, like the 6, is not for weekend track days. And on that note, I wonder if you'd fry the brake pads before you got the tires too greasy to grip anymore...

But if you were indeed being serious, what tires would you package as OEM equipment on this car?
      I didn't say the tires lacked grip.
      I said they were squishy which hurt steering accuracy and also made the car feel unsettled at speed.
      FWIW- I did not check the tire pressures on the loaner... the car has a tire pressure monitoring system, so I would think a 5 psi drop would illuminate the tire pressure warning light (and to be honest- I barely had enough free time while I had the car to even snap those pictures and add gas when I later dropped it off).
      I say that because it felt like the tires were low on pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      Looks odd with those wheels and tires. The base 6 in Canada comes with 17" alloys.
      Just that plus one tire upgrade probably make a significant difference to the steering feel and tracking.

Heck- maybe even just going from 205/65 to 215/60 like the base Accord might help quite a bit.
      I would definitely trade some at the limit grip and ride quality for better steering feel and tracking.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-26-2012 12:39 PM #11
      rear is ugly, the radio setup is horrible. eliminates the possibility of upgrading to an aftermarket unit. good write up OP!

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      05-26-2012 12:55 PM #12
      The base speakers are a bit boomy with the low frequencies and lack bright treble (needs tweeters).
      Both speaker issues could have been easily addressed with a proper equalizer.
      What ever happened to those?

Isn't the knob to the bottom right the eq? You probably push it in to select bass/ mid/ treble levels?
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-26-2012 01:25 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by rains View Post
      Isn't the knob to the bottom right the eq? You probably push it in to select bass/ mid/ treble levels?
      Not sure if serious...

But then again, I am old now...

I remember back in my youth when people bought those "50 Watt" equalizer/boosters from Wal Mart for $39.95 (I was one of those people).

A simple bass/mid/treble adjustment helps, but is nothing like a proper equalizer.
      Granted- they should not put speakers in a car that requires an equalizer to get the level somewhat acceptable (to my ears.. but I am spoiled by the relatively good at medium volume base stereo in my RX8).
      And every vehicle I have been in that had an actual equalizer was set to ridiculous form (all mids pushed up to 11 so is louder!!) by the previous driver.. I digress.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-26-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      05-26-2012 01:26 PM #14
      I didn't say the tires lacked grip.
      I said they were squishy which hurt steering accuracy and also made the car feel unsettled at speed.
      FWIW- I did not check the tire pressures on the loaner... the car has a tire pressure monitoring system, so I would think a 5 psi drop would illuminate the tire pressure warning light (and to be honest- I barely had enough free time while I had the car to even snap those pictures and add gas when I later dropped it off).
      I say that because it felt like the tires were low on pressure.
      yeah, I actually realized after Oliver@triplezoom pointed it out, that you have 16's, which means you have a ballon spec 205/65/16 Michelin MXV4. The Milan I spoke of had the same tires but in 225/50/17, which is a pretty sporty size for a Mercury. Compare that to the V6 Mustang, which has even more eco-minded Michelin Energy Saver A/S, and they're 215/65/17! Tons of sidewall flex if you push the tires, but I am very pleased at how much grip eco tires have nowadays

I thought it was funny how "i Sport" sounds kind of classy, but when I actually looked it up, it turns out that's the base model The i Touring has 215/55/17's so drivers who are looking for a sportier setup would probably opt for that...although, it seems that the base i Sport is the only model available with a manual 'box! What's the deal??
      Modern cars are getting faster, grippier and more stable. But I only want those characteristics in a race car. It seems to me that a trend is developing when road cars are being engineered to behave like race cars -- but the truth is that driver enjoyment is way down the list of priorities for a racer. If we go down that route, it’s a slippery slope for those who love road driving.

Vehicles
      1995 Saturn SW1
      05-26-2012 01:44 PM #15
      I was being serious ... no trolling here.

I missed the phrase "proper equalizer" on my first readthru. While I haven't owned a box as you pictured for my car setups, I did have a multi-band equalizer for some ancient home stereo equipment.

Big ugly box, wood with (I think) brushed aluminum faceplate. Roughly 30 analogue slider switches, to properly shape the sound ... RCA cables, all of which were off-brown.

So yeah, a bit of a beast. But it sure got those Ultralinear speakers sounding decent
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      This thread is now about car cakes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Things I learned today: You don't have to pass grade 12 English to Manage a Honda dealership.

Vehicles
      Yaris x2
      05-26-2012 01:44 PM #16
      Are these V- or H-rated? Our Sonata came with V-rated versions of those Michelins and I was actually rather impressed with them. They rode nicely, had plenty of grip and good steering response/stiff sidewalls. The V-rated BFGoodrich tires I replaced them with were noticeably inferior (tall tread blocks, squirmy sidewall, poor braking). I would have put another set of the Michelins on the car but they were about $175 each at Costco.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-26-2012 01:51 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Are these V- or H-rated? Our Sonata came with V-rated versions of those Michelins and I was actually rather impressed with them. They rode nicely, had plenty of grip and good steering response/stiff sidewalls. The V-rated BFGoodrich tires I replaced them with were noticeably inferior (tall tread blocks, squirmy sidewall, poor braking). I would have put another set of the Michelins on the car but they were about $175 each at Costco.
      The oem tire for this Mazda6 i Sport is:

205/65R16 Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 and are H rated.

I think the issue is the actual tire size more than anything- it is a balloon tire by modern standards.

Vehicles
      Yaris x2
      05-26-2012 01:54 PM #18
      That explains some of it. Ours were slightly wider and shorter -- 215/60/16, V-rated.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-26-2012 02:08 PM #19
      Amazing what a difference 235/45/18s, leather, and a nicer sound system make. I definitely encourage trying one with better tires. It's not an RX-8 but it is the best among midsizers in steering and handling, properly equipped anyway.

Re: armrest, never noticed that with mine. Besides, I barely ever use it. Two hands on the wheel

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-26-2012 02:15 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Amazing what a difference 235/45/18s, leather, and a nicer sound system make. I definitely encourage trying one with better tires. It's not an RX-8 but it is the best among midsizers in steering and handling, properly equipped anyway.

Re: armrest, never noticed that with mine. Besides, I barely ever use it. Two hands on the wheel
      The new seat fabric (for 2011 on?) is fine- though I have no idea how durable it will be.
      And simply adding some tweeters would really help the stereo (don't know if possible on stock stereo).
      My disdain was 100% for these tires.
      Driving the car, you can tell that the chassis is stiff and tuned very well for a mainstream sedan.
      It is painfully obvious that the steering vagueness and poor on center tracking was due to the tires and their squishy sidewalls.

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-26-2012 11:31 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      I thought it was funny how "i Sport" sounds kind of classy, but when I actually looked it up, it turns out that's the base model The i Touring has 215/55/17's so drivers who are looking for a sportier setup would probably opt for that...although, it seems that the base i Sport is the only model available with a manual 'box! What's the deal??
      The deal is that typical US market consumers only consider a manual when they are cheaper than the cheapest automatic version.
      Or a better description is... they are only bought by dealers for come on ad purposes... which makes me sad.
      I really would like to drive this gen mazda6i with the 6 speed manual and proper tires.
      The chassis seems quite tossable if the tires are in agreement.

And on that... this car felt much heavier than my RX8 even though it is just maybe 250-300 lbs heavier.
      A proper clutch pedal and some aggressive tires would probably make a big difference.
      Last edited by BRealistic; 05-26-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      05-26-2012 11:41 PM #22
      The deal is that typical US market consumers only consider a manual when they are cheaper than the cheapest automatic version.
      That's why I am very curious to see what the auto/manual split is going to be with the FRS/BRZ in this country.

The manual is cheaper, and ostensibly "the driver's choice."

However, automatic is clearly the market winner in the US by a huge margin, and from everything I've read in the press, it's universally agreed that the automatic transmission in this car is quite good. Plus, it has (flappy) paddles.

05-27-2012 07:10 AM #23
      Apparently, the new Mazda6 will be built in Japan for North America. So no more Mazda6 from the Flat Rock plant. So I guess just Mustangs for now.

I'm guessing Mazda's experiment with a much larger 6 just for the North American market failed? I'm hoping the new Mazda6 for NA will be on the same platform for the rest of the world. So that means a more compact sized car. The current mid-sized sedans sold in NA are much too large for my tastes.

I've always like the non-NA Mazda6, especially the hatch: http://www.carbuyer.co.uk//reviews/m...atchback/video

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-27-2012 10:27 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Apparently, the new Mazda6 will be built in Japan for North America. So no more Mazda6 from the Flat Rock plant. So I guess just Mustangs for now.

I'm guessing Mazda's experiment with a much larger 6 just for the North American market failed? I'm hoping the new Mazda6 for NA will be on the same platform for the rest of the world. So that means a more compact sized car. The current mid-sized sedans sold in NA are much too large for my tastes.

I've always like the non-NA Mazda6, especially the hatch: http://www.carbuyer.co.uk//reviews/m...atchback/video
      Fifth Gear said it was batter than a Lancer (same class?????).

http://www.streetfire.net/video/323-...a-6_171393.htm

The lack of success for the US version of the Mazda6 is debatable since it did very well in all magazine tests and comparisons, got a Recommended rating from Consumer Reports, and seemed to get positive responses in the looks department.
      My take- very bad timing.
      It came out right during the initial shock of the financial crisis, and thus lost a huge chunk of the ever important first year sales bubble that gets new models cars on the road, which makes many say "I like that, and I see many so it must be good.." and consider it as a purchase.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1996 Subaru Impreza RallyMachine
      05-27-2012 10:42 AM #25
      so I could get a FREE courtesy loaner
      Don't almost all dealers do this nowadays? Then again, I work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership and we are quite generous with loaners. They are all 2011-2012 C300 4-matics, E350 4-matics, GLK 350s, or ML350s. And one GL450. And many are loaded too, with navigation, xenon, etc.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      05-27-2012 10:44 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post

That's the word. I bought one anyway, but would have infinitely preferred the EDM/JDM wagon or hatch. Here's hoping we get all three choices again for the next gen.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '12 Regal GS 6MT
      05-27-2012 10:49 AM #27
      The V6 versions have always been praised by the magazines for having the best performance in this category, but it seems no one takes notice. In V6 S GT trim they actually look pretty nice inside w/ nav, and they are quite the bargain compared to their competition. Of course they can be had in V6 6 speed manual trim in Europe.

They actually remind me of the Volvo S60 from the front.

28. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-27-2012 10:50 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by windycityvdub View Post
      Don't almost all dealers do this nowadays? Then again, I work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership and we are quite generous with loaners. They are all 2011-2012 C300 4-matics, E350 4-matics, GLK 350s, or ML350s. And one GL450. And many are loaded too, with navigation, xenon, etc.
      So you give out free loaners to every service department customer?
      How many loaners do you have?

And no, the Mazda dealer where I had the engine replaced refused to give me a loaner even though it was a Mazda warranty replacement.
      Note it is a very long job to swap the engine.
      But I took it to that dealer because they are the largest and oldest Mazda dealer in the area, and I wanted to have the engine replaced by the best.
      FWIW- I only had one sensor plug pop out a few weeks after... which I reconnected. So they did a very good job on the engine swap.
      Clutch jobs are not anywhere near as involved (or specialized to the RX8), so I lowered my standards.

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      05-27-2012 11:56 AM #29

And no, the Mazda dealer where I had the engine replaced refused to give me a loaner even though it was a Mazda warranty replacement.
      Note it is a very long job to swap the engine.
      But I took it to that dealer because they are the largest and oldest Mazda dealer in the area, and I wanted to have the engine replaced by the best.
      FWIW- I only had one sensor plug pop out a few weeks after... which I reconnected. So they did a very good job on the engine swap.
      Clutch jobs are not anywhere near as involved (or specialized to the RX8), so I lowered my standards.

you need to find a better dealer. even my subaru dealership provides me with a loaner. if they don't have any they put me in a rental car.

30. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      05-27-2012 12:18 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by dieselraver View Post
      you need to find a better dealer. even my subaru dealership provides me with a loaner. if they don't have any they put me in a rental car.
      Is that the Subaru dealer where you bought your car?
      Like I said- most dealers provide a courtesy loaner for service if you bought the car there.
      And there is a difference between work done under the basic b2b warranty, and extended warranty work.
      I never had an issue getting a free loaner for b2b warranty work.

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1996 Subaru Impreza RallyMachine
      05-27-2012 03:08 PM #31
      Yes, regardless of where you bought the car. We have 15ish I think?

32. 07-06-2012 04:17 PM #32
      Just seeing this now but wanted to comment.

Overall, good review. Fair for the base model.

I upgraded the rubber on my 2009 iGT (2.5L, 6MT) to Conti Extreme Contact DWS 215/55 R17 wheel/tires (standard for the GT) . Addco recently released a thicker rear bar. Amazing difference. Stock it handled well for what it is... a mid sized family sedan but the new rubber and larger rear bar make it very entertaining to drive.

I have about 70,000 miles on the odo and the car has been nearly flawless. The lumbar support and an occasionally glitchy stereo volume control are my only issues. Still on the original brakes front and rear with them looking maybe past the half way point. A/C is cold. The Bose 10 speaker stereo, while typical Bose with a somewhat lacking bass response, sounds pretty good - clear, bright highs, and the imagining is excellent thanks to the center dash mounted speaker.

If I'm easy on the throttle I've gotten a calculated 32+mpg combined city/hwy. Best was 37mpg with some hypermiling.

This has been an awesome car. I'm really looking forward to the next gen 2014 6. I hope it builds on this car's strengths and doesn't loose it's personality in the process. Most of all I'm hoping for a 6MT in the top trim levels. The CX-5 and 3 have it. Fingers crossed Mazda will keep it up with the next 6.