2011 Highline 4Motion with Sports Package 13 months old but only 12,000 km with absolutely ZERO issues.
Extremely PO-d! Grounds not to buy a VW ever again.
Frustrated, but I generally like the car.
Meh, I don't care either way.
I like it, just some minor annoyances.
Totally love it, no issues whatsoever.
I am hoping VW Customer Care would pay attention to this thread, as I don't think a vehicle so expensive and higher-end should be plagued by so many issues that are just unheard of with other brands.
So please take the poll and let's send a message.
No problems with mine yet... 2011 w/ 18k miles, although I've only owned it for 8 weeks & 1000 mi.
But I know all too well the frustration w/ VW's and their reliability (or lack thereof). My two previous cars were both VW's, and both had many, many issues. At least time time around, I got the top of the line extended warranty...
The question is, would we be happier with a more reliable but boring Toyota or Honda? Could we afford or justify the BMW, Audi, etc?
my message to VW is to keep their cars "GERMAN"... do *NOT* "Americanize" them! That is what will drive your loyal VW customers away to other brands. After my Tiguan lease is up, I sure hope they will have a new Tiguan that is still "GERMAN", otherwise you will see me at the BMW dealer.
the Passat and Jetta to name the two. KEEP the "GERMAN" versions of the vehicle in the US. Sure, build them here, but don't "cheapen or decontent" down to "American" tastes.
BTW.. I have a 2012 Tiguan SEL and I LOVE it! The Suspension is awesome, rain sense wipers, power folding mirrors, Pano roof, 19" wheels... LOVE it!
Last edited by cfurman; 05-27-2012 at 04:09 PM.
2012 Tiguan SEL
2013 GLI Autobahn Nav
Both of my VW's have above average service records. Take good care of them, and usually you'll get a lot of life out of the car. Anything defective should show itself within warranty, and that does happen on every make and model.
That said, VW does need to learn how to make power locks that last.
2009 Tiguan SE 4Motion
APR Stage 1 - Tow Package (Class III) - Phatbox - Ross-Tech VCDS (Various Mods)
Previous car: 2001 Jetta Wolfsburg - w/REVO Tuning, AEM CAI, Audi TT DV
Only 2 complaints, otherwise like my 2012 SEL 4motion very much
1. Transmission shift problem. Fixed with the software patch. No longer an issue. I'm a bit worried about why VW released the car with the original software; are they losing their attention on driveability??
2. A couple of rattles/squeaks in the body. Dealer says they will look at them when I get a change.
2012 Tiguan SEL 4motion
2011 Murano SL AWD
In a nutshell, or experience with 2010 Tig purchased new:
1) Noisey brakes (dealer says No Fault Found yet still sound like metal on metal)
2) MDI cable broke inside (replaced under warranty)
3) Dynaudio speaker quit (replaced under warranty)
4) Developed water leak from sunroof ruining headliner
5) Dealer "fixed leak" and replaced sunroof frame, drain tubes and headliner (new headliner ripped, stained, 8 pieces of interior trim and one roof rail damaged), broke ribbon cable for power mirrors
6) Dealer replaced ribbon cable, other damage remains un-rectified (corresponded with VWoC, VWAG)
7) Sunroof malfunctions, binds, sunshade will not close all the way
8) Whole rear of car now rattles over rough road
9) Loud cracking noise from panoramic roof, passenger's side
10) Water leak continues (judging by continued large amounts of condensation inside)
11) Automatic wipers malfunction (comes on high speed, dry windshield in clear skies, does not come on when raining)
12) same Dynaudio speaker quit again
13) RNS-510 re-boots, loses communication with iPod, back-up camera remains on when driving forwards (intermittently)
14) Power mirrors glitch and won't unfold (intermittently)
15) Grinding noise under acceleration 2000-3000 RPM and when starting (most likely wastegate actuator rod)
16) Intermittent rough idle, power loss
The long version gets worse, currently trying to get 25 separate issues resolved through VWAG and VWoC
Currently have just over 29,000 km and Tig hasn't yet hit 2nd birthday. This wasn't our 1st VW, but based on how VWoC and two dealers have not resolved issues this will be our last. Going to try dealer #3 and will trade it off at first opportunity once issues are resolved...worst automotive experience ever.
Last edited by tigatola; 05-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Your car must have been built the day after VFL Wolfsburg lost the Bundesliga playoffs!
What bugs me is that VW won't step up and do it right by you. This is exactly how customrs are lost. Had they done something, I'm sure you would have been praising the company instead.
2010 S auto. 45k miles full APR stage 2 since 11k miles. Not a single problem. Seems like a lot of the problems are seen on SE and SEL Tigs with all their options. I.E. Sunroof leaking, upgraded audio not working and so on.
"The thing is it's a gearbox. OK, it has one job to do, one job. Pull the lever: 'Am I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power sta-I'm a gearbox! Oh, heavens I'll swap some cogs around!" -Jeremy Clarkson
So far, after only two and a half weeks of ownership of my SEL Premium. Here's what I see. Had one problem where the Audio/Nav would not come on. The only way to get it to come on, was to turn the car off, and restart.
Having the "jolt" when at a stop, and leave off the brake pedal lightly, and reapply.
My fuel economy is not what I expected. I had a 2000 A4 1.8t quattro and it was getting 24 - 25 mpg average. I expected at least 22-23 with this thing. It struggles to get 19mpg average. Using the same gas as the Audi. I don't believe it will get much better with miles. These things now are so computer controlled that there is very little "break in" any longer. Not sure what to do about it.
Other than that, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what pops up.
My only complaint thats worth talking about is the window wind noise. The pressure is unbearable until you find the sweet spot and that varies at different speeds .
Last edited by gstrouse; 06-05-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: correction
2009 High line (equivalent to SEL!)
3 problem only first with the radio (high end!) Stop working for some reason ... replace on warranty. Second was the rear differential, somehow it started to make noise and shake! Per dealer the bearing were on the edge of seizing! I read somewhere that there was a batch of defect that year! Third and I fixed it myself ... the flapper valve actuator arm poping off! an home made C-clip fixed the problem. I was past the warranty limit and this fixe still work since 13000km!! The warranty on this problem change the intake manifold for around $800cdn!! Crazy when a simple C-clip does the job very well!
Now I'm up to 120,000km and it's running very nice. Love this beauty ;-)
only irritations with my 12 tiguan are:
1. slight jolting sensations when at a complete stop at random; go thru this about every 3 weeks or so.
2. weird "wash board" vibration sensation thru brake pedal over extremely bumpy roads - if and when applied. i try to avoid the road that i used to drive thru just to avoid this sensation. brakes and system checked out fine at 90 courtesy check up.
3. A/C is awesome but definitely challenged when temperature is more than 95 degrees out.
other than that, happy i can roll down my windows to cool the car off without having to turn on the vehicle.
seems like the fuel tank empty warning comes on about 1 gallon left; my jetta wagon would come on about 1.9 - 2 gallons left.
true test for my tiggy will be in a week when i drive down from DC to TX along with a cat and dog. and then back in a couple of weeks.....
93 vw wolfsburg fox 4-door | 00 honda crv lx | 03 vw jetta wagon gls 2.0 | 04 vw jetta wagon gls tdi-pd | 12 vw tiguan se+panoroof+nav
picking up a '12 Tig S 6MT today. Wont be my first or last Volkswagen. I worked at a domestic dealership for 2 years and new car issues can be seen regardless of what you drive. Even trusty Toyota isnt perfect, ask Consumer Reports. I drive Volkswagens because of this very forum and the huge aftermarket support.
Love my tiguan. 2010 4motion SE /w pano roof. Got 33k miles on it now.
-Battery came from the factory very weak. Dealer blamed it on my amp. Bull****! Replaced with Walmart battery - been good ever since.
-rear hatch latch came loose. Dealer fixed it.
-rough downshift to 1st when coming to a stop at times (apparently common).
-gas milage not as good as hoped but not horrible. Bout 23 hwy, 18 city on crappy cali 91 octane.
-some new internal rattles but with my history with cars, only normal rattles as the car ages and you can chase them down, if you care enough. For me my music is almost always bumping so...
Hopefully nothing major happens but if it does, hopefully before the 60k mark!