Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 139

    Thread: Turn8's A3 Build Thread.

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-26-2012 12:05 PM #1
      For fun, I decided to post a build thread for my A3. In reality, I’m not building anything, so this thread will simply illustrate the path I take and modifications and improvements I make to my A3.

      The car…
      2009 Audi A3 is Black/Black equipped with the 2.0T and DSG transmission with the Premium, Titanium, and S-line packages.

      Why did I buy an A3? Well, I needed to downsize from two cars to one. I wanted one car that could replace my daily driver and my weekend/track toy. I found the Audi A3’s size, shape, four-doors, and sporty nature to fit my needs perfectly.

      I’m confident that this A3 is going to be an excellent car because it is luxurious, well built, and fun to drive. The A3’s character reminds me of my previous VW’s, a 2002 GTI 337 and a 2008 R32, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.

      The A3 flaunts a very rich, high-quality interior constructed of high-end materials. The dashboard, interior trim, and the various instruments are all well laid-out and arranged smartly. I immediately noticed the high quality feel of the switch-gear, steering wheel, and the high-grade leather used on the very comfortable seats. Though, I must say, that the seats are a little too ‘flat’ for my tastes, they could offer more support for spirited driving. But, hey, enough about the seats, even the stock Audi sound system is surprisingly impressive for an OEM vehicle.







      Overall, Audi’s execution and attention to detail regarding the A3, is truly remarkable.

      I chose to buy an A3 with the 2.0T because the engine provides more than enough power to make the A3 fun to drive and it is easily modified to produce more power. I was happy in the past with VW’s 1.8T but, the 2.0T with its quick turbo spool-up and the amount of torque available in the low-rpms make it seem as if the car has a V6 under the hood. For a four cylinder, considering the power, and the fuel economy, the 2.0T is definitely impressive, even in stock form.

      I’m a manual transmission type of guy. I normally own one automatic car and one manual transmission car at any given time. However, since I am downsizing to one vehicle, I had to make a compromise and, based on my previous experience with the R32, I knew the DSG is the perfect compromise for my situation. I’ll admit, I’m not a huge fan of the DSG in auto mode. I find that the transmission in auto mode shifts way too often at low speeds. It is very annoying and, at times, even frustrating to drive in auto mode. I’m pretty sure the super conservative and rapid automatic shift programming is done to conserve fuel but, ironically, I can achieve the same or, better fuel mileage in manual mode. Go figure! Like my R32, I plan to do most of my driving in manual mode.

      My A3, as equipped, already looks and drives great. However, I plan to subtlety modify the A3 to suite my personal tastes.

      So what needs to be improved?

      For performance, my plan is to boost the power output of the 2.0T with an ECU Tune, Intake, Water/Methanol Injection, and Exhaust. To go along with the performance enhancements, I want to add a boost gauge and perhaps a wide-band gauge to monitor the engine vitals. In addition, the DSG will receive an HPA performance stage 2 Tune which will be complimented by a set of S2T Performance paddle shifters (which was the awesome combination I had in my R32).

      For appearance, I personally like the way my A3 looks (with the exception of the ride height) so I don’t plan to modify the exterior extensively. There’s a good chance I’ll swap out the current Headlamps and Tail lamps to the HID/LED models that I’ve seen. For wheels, at least for the moment, I’ll stick with the OEM’s. I will, however, be adding window tint immediately!

      I’ll need to spend some more time behind the wheel of my A3 before I make any decisions regarding the suspension setup. However, I will be adding a set of height-adjustable coilovers, as soon as possible… I don’t like driving around in what appears to be a 4x4 A3. LOL!

      What did I forget???

      If you are interested in my build, please stay tuned…

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    2. Member Ultimatetaba's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2005
      Location
      SoCal
      Posts
      4,411
      Vehicles
      07 Yay-Tre
      05-26-2012 01:38 PM #2
      Great little writeup and intro sir. Welcome. I'm sure you'll love the car.

      I look forward to seeing what you've got in store. I'll probably see you rolling around one of these days, I'm right around the corner...in Santa Clarita.

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-26-2012 03:24 PM #3
      ^^^^
      Thank you!

      There is a good chance I'll see you around the area!

      First things First. Window Tint!

      As a car enthusiast living in California can be frustrating (you'll probably read this often in this thread). We have some ridiculous laws that make modifying a car difficult. We even have laws that even discourage automotive window tint! Luckily, the laws only prohibit the use of window tint on the windshield, and on the front driver and passenger windows. We can legally tint the rear windows and rear glass on any vehicle.

      My understanding behind this law is to protect our law enforcement officers when they approach a vehicle. They want to be able to see inside the vehicle to confirm if a suspect is armed or not.
      The problem I have with this law is that there are benefits to have window tint on most, if not all your windows. The tint actually protects the interior from the harmful rays of the sun if the car spends quite a bit of time outside in direct sunlight (which my car does when it is not at home in the garage). Just look at any 5 year old or, older vehicle that spends time outside in direct sunlight without window tint and compare it to another car of the same age and model year with window tint under the same conditions and examine the interior. The car without window tint will show a lot more fading, cracking, and overall interior wear and tear. Which is why this law sucks. I want my window tint on all windows AND, I don’t want to have to worry about being fined and given a ‘fix-it’ ticket!
      Oh well, I can’t have everything in life… I’ll take my chances.
      Did I also mention that window tint keeps the car cooler inside and it looks great!

      I got all my windows tinted with the exception of the front windshield. The front door windows were tinted at 30% and the rear glass was tinted at 15%. Nothing too crazy. Here are a couple pics;





      Mike
      Last edited by Turn8; 05-26-2012 at 03:27 PM.
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    4. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,491
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      05-26-2012 03:45 PM #4
      Looking good and good mod plans. I am picking up my '11 on wednesday of this week, and like you, I am a big fan of MT, but the DSG is starting to seem the better option for DD'ing, etc. Plus, my wife will be able to drive it easier and I don't have to upgrade the clutch when adding power to it.

      The S2T site seems to have the paddles on backorder - is that where you were getting them, directly, or is there somewhere else you were looking?

      suspension - i hear ya. Part of me says im done with suspension mods because of the compromise in ride quality, so who knows , I may have to live with the 4x4 look as well, haha..
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    5. Member kgw's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2008
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      836
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 S-Line 3.2, Schricked
      05-26-2012 04:44 PM #5
      I'll be getting a set , and I will post some shots, as well as a user review on their enhancement of the shifting while motoring energetically about town and country!

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-26-2012 04:51 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
      Looking good and good mod plans. I am picking up my '11 on wednesday of this week, and like you, I am a big fan of MT, but the DSG is starting to seem the better option for DD'ing, etc. Plus, my wife will be able to drive it easier and I don't have to upgrade the clutch when adding power to it.

      The S2T site seems to have the paddles on backorder - is that where you were getting them, directly, or is there somewhere else you were looking?

      suspension - i hear ya. Part of me says im done with suspension mods because of the compromise in ride quality, so who knows , I may have to live with the 4x4 look as well, haha..
      Thanks! And, congrats on your '11! I'll look forward to some pictures.

      Its true the DSG has it's positives and negatives but, it really is a good transmission that still offers the driver a bit more control than a standard 'slush-box'.

      Regarding the paddle shifters, yes, I'll be getting a set directly from S2T. I was told they'll have the Audi paddles available sometime in late June. Can't wait!

      I just don't like the appearance of the huge gap in the wheel-wells of a stock A3. I'll be changing that... I don't like the compromise in ride quality either but, I'm going with coilovers because in my experience they normally have a better ride than a standard aftermarket spring/shock combination.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    7. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2009
      Location
      Kickin it with MKIM
      Posts
      2,659
      05-26-2012 08:20 PM #7


      Man, it's good to see what my car looked like in 2009! What engine in der?
      I hate cupholders

    8. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,491
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      05-26-2012 09:46 PM #8
      what coils are you considering?
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-28-2012 01:18 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by kgw View Post
      I'll be getting a set , and I will post some shots, as well as a user review on their enhancement of the shifting while motoring energetically about town and country!
      Awesome! I highly recommend them!

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-28-2012 01:20 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      Man, it's good to see what my car looked like in 2009! What engine in der?


      She's got the 2.0T.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-28-2012 01:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
      what coils are you considering?
      At this point, something decent but, inexpensive. I don't want to spend too much on a setup before I get a chance to really 'learn' the car on the track. My current goal is simply to lower the car for appearance.
      I'm liking the ST coilovers by KW.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    12. Member Maitre Absolut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      1,317
      Vehicles
      2014 S4, 2013 Q5
      05-28-2012 04:34 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Turn8 View Post
      The car…
      2009 Audi A3 is Black/Black equipped with the 2.0T and DSG transmission with the Premium, Titanium, and S-line packages.

      There’s a good chance I’ll swap out the current Headlamps and Tail lamps to the HID/LED models that I’ve seen.
      '09 premium package didnt come with front/rear LED's ??
      14 S4
      13 Q5 S-Line

    13. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,526
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-28-2012 06:22 PM #13
      ALL 09 onwards should have rear LEDs... there is no OEM 'upgrade' unless the Previous Owner 'downgraded' you...
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-28-2012 08:58 PM #14
      ^^^^
      I don't know... Were LED's part of the premium or luxury packages? There are many options that my A3 does not have...

      Today I decided to 'scope' the intake manifold of my A3 to check for carbon build-up.

      I admit, I'm a little spooked. A close friend of mine has an '09 GTI 2.0T with 60K miles that had a massive build-up of carbon in the intake manifold, on the valves, and in the cylinder head. The VW dealership replaced quite a few different parts before they decided to 'scope' the intake and check for build-up. When they did, they found what would be equivalant to a softball size amount of carbon in his engine. Since the carbon build-up has been removed, his car is running great, like it did when it was new!

      I personally don't want to start modifying the 2.0T until I can be reasonably certain that I'm not going to run into trouble down-the-road. I know the previous owner completed all the scheduled maintainance for my A3. However, what I don't know is how the car was driven and if he/she used premium brand fuels and/or, performed any additional maintainance/oil changes to help prevent the dreadful carbon build-up.

      Anyway, here is the process and what I found in my engine:

      First, I located the IAT sensor.


      Then, using a T-30 torx driver I removed the IAT sensor


      Removing the IAT sensor leaves an access hole in the intake manifold so I can insert the camera


      Here is a picture illustrating some carbon build-up in the intake manifold and on the valves.


      Another picture illustrating carbon build-up in the intake manifold and on the valves.


      Well, my 2.0T does have 'some' carbon build-up in the intake manifold and cylinder heads but, it isn't as severe as other cars I've seen. And since the carbon build-up in my engine hasn't really hurt the gas mileage or set off any CEL's I think it may be ready for some modifications. However, I wish there were easier ways to clean and prevent the mess...

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    15. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,526
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-29-2012 08:57 AM #15
      ALL A3's came with LED tails after 2008. Beginning at the start of model year 2009. Only the LED headlights were an option.

      However, if you need LED tails, I'll have a set for sale soon. -You shouldn't, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    16. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,526
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-29-2012 09:01 AM #16
      Use only top tier gasoline, otherwise Audi will tell you that it's all your fault.

      My car was at 65000 when it had to have injectors replaced, valves and intake cleaned. I was asked what fuel I'd been using, and pointed towards page three hundred and something in the owners manual, where it says to use ONLY approved fuels.

      And no, I'm NOT talking about octane number:

      http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    17. Member NYCameron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 17th, 2010
      Location
      NYC
      Posts
      2,596
      Vehicles
      2006 A3 DSG, 2004 MKIV .:R
      05-29-2012 10:31 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Turn8 View Post
      Though, I must say, that the seats are a little too ‘flat’ for my tastes, they could offer more support for spirited driving.
      Mike
      Hey Mike. Welcome to the A3 community!

      But as for your seats, I think it's because you don't have the sports seats. I have the sports seats and they hug me pretty well

      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      Use only top tier gasoline, otherwise Audi will tell you that it's all your fault.

      My car was at 65000 when it had to have injectors replaced, valves and intake cleaned. I was asked what fuel I'd been using, and pointed towards page three hundred and something in the owners manual, where it says to use ONLY approved fuels.

      And no, I'm NOT talking about octane number:

      http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
      I thought the intake got dirty because the fsi is direct injection, so no fuel is sprayed on any of the valves to keep them clean
      Is the tsi different? Did they implement something to spray the valves?
      2006 Audi A3 Sport Package - Neuspeed Intake | APR Stage K04 | Eurocustom 3'' DP | Dogbone Mount Insert | BSH 27mm RSB | 3000k HID Fogs | LED Tails (Inner) | Euro Tails (Outer)

      MKIV .:R

    18. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,526
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-29-2012 11:25 AM #18
      That is indeed exactly why the valves get dirty. No 'washing' from the fuel.

      However, the carbon soot must come from somewhere combustion-related, and all I can tell you is that my Audi dealer's comment was 'you've been using a fuel which has been producing combustion by-products which are responsible for the carbon build-up.

      Either way it's right there in your owner's manual (I didn't believe it until I looked myself) that they very specifically recuse themselves from ANY liability for carbon deposits if you've not been using top-tier approved fuels.

      For that reason, I've been keeping every receipt and noting tank mileage, odometer reading and indicated MPG per tank on each receipt, along with fuel brand. -It's my only defense, and without it, they can say what they want. -In addition, every receipt gets entered into a master Excel spreadsheet, and an image scanned in and linked from a cell. The originals are also retained as further 'evidence'.

      If they're going to put it IN WRITING in the owner's manual that all owners need to use specific brands of fuel, or they deny any responsibility and get all 'legal', then I'm going to make all my stuff 'legally bulletproof' also.

      Plus.. -hey, when it comes to private resale, it helps to be able to show care taken all the way down to the brand of fuel.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-29-2012 12:37 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      That is indeed exactly why the valves get dirty. No 'washing' from the fuel.

      However, the carbon soot must come from somewhere combustion-related, and all I can tell you is that my Audi dealer's comment was 'you've been using a fuel which has been producing combustion by-products which are responsible for the carbon build-up.

      Either way it's right there in your owner's manual (I didn't believe it until I looked myself) that they very specifically recuse themselves from ANY liability for carbon deposits if you've not been using top-tier approved fuels.

      For that reason, I've been keeping every receipt and noting tank mileage, odometer reading and indicated MPG per tank on each receipt, along with fuel brand. -It's my only defense, and without it, they can say what they want. -In addition, every receipt gets entered into a master Excel spreadsheet, and an image scanned in and linked from a cell. The originals are also retained as further 'evidence'.

      If they're going to put it IN WRITING in the owner's manual that all owners need to use specific brands of fuel, or they deny any responsibility and get all 'legal', then I'm going to make all my stuff 'legally bulletproof' also.

      Plus.. -hey, when it comes to private resale, it helps to be able to show care taken all the way down to the brand of fuel.
      Wow! Great information! Thanks for sharing!

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    20. Member brungold's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 8th, 2007
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      2,903
      Vehicles
      2008.5 A3 TSI Ibis White 6MT S-line
      05-29-2012 04:10 PM #20
      lookin good so far!
      2008.5 A3 | 2.0TSI | 6MT | Ibis White | Ti | OpenSky | Xenon | S-line

      Brungold Build Thread
      SoCal A3s on Facebook

    21. 05-29-2012 04:18 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Turn8 View Post
      Wow! Great information! Thanks for sharing!

      Mike
      Except brand of gas doesn't really affect carbon buildup.

      Dave

    22. Member VWAddict's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 12th, 1999
      Location
      Orlando, FL
      Posts
      6,526
      Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      05-29-2012 04:49 PM #22
      I know we've had this one out a lot before, but if you read what I wrote again carefully you'll see that I've only reported what (1) I've been told by Audi and (2) is in your owner's manual.

      I can't unequivocally say that it does or doesn't, and I don't think that you can either, truth be told... but I'm not interested in debating that point, merely pointing out that Audi has a legal 'out' regarding carbon buildup if you don't do what they tell you to do in the manual... where they make very specific mention of carbon buildup.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      05-29-2012 04:52 PM #23
      Thanks guys!

      Quote Originally Posted by crew219 View Post
      Except brand of gas doesn't really affect carbon buildup.

      Dave
      I know, I know... But, any information regarding the subject is much appreciated.

      One of the many reasons I'm planning to run a W/M setup (perhaps a direct port system) is to 'help' with the reduction carbon build-up and have some sort of fluid flowing past the valves.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 11th, 2010
      Location
      CT
      Posts
      206
      Vehicles
      06 2.0t A3
      05-30-2012 01:25 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      ALL A3's came with LED tails after 2008. Beginning at the start of model year 2009. Only the LED headlights were an option.

      However, if you need LED tails, I'll have a set for sale soon. -You shouldn't, though.
      I want!

      or ill have to jump on that last round for the group buy. I feel as if its long over due and i wont get anymore chances

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      06-02-2012 02:41 PM #25
      High on my priority list, of ‘things-to-do’ to my A3, was to lower the suspension.
      I had to lower my A3.
      These cars just look better lowered.

      I purchased a set of ST Speedtech Coilovers to accomplish this task.

      So, if my goal was simply to lower the suspension my Audi for appearance and I didn’t really care about the suspension performance, why didn’t I simply purchase a set of lowering springs?

      In my experience it is hard to find aftermarket lowering springs that work well with the OEM dampers. Usually an example of this combination results in a choppy and uncomfortable ride because the spring rates and the damper rates don’t match. Conversely, my experience with aftermarket Coilover suspension setups has been much better, which is why I decided to go in that direction.
      Do it once, do it right…or, something like that?

      I could have purchased a set of aftermarket springs AND a set of aftermarket shocks to compliment the improved spring rates (however, there is still a possibility that the spring/damper rates won’t match, resulting in a horrible ride, and I’d have to swap everything back out and do it all again…Not fun!) but, ironically, when you add up the total investment of a spring/shock combination, the price for a set of Coilovers was surprisingly competitive. Plus, with Coilovers, not only do they offer matched damper and spring rates, they also sport the ability to manually adjust the ride height to suit my own personal tastes. Bonus!

      There are obviously a ton of aftermarket Coilover suspension choices available for the Audi A3. However, to narrow the field, my decision was based on price (I wanted to spend under $1K) and manufacture reputation.

      The ST Speedtech Coilovers fit my needs, and wallet, perfectly. The ST Coilovers are made by KW and ST is owned by KW automotive. KW’s reputation as a Coilover suspension manufacture is solid.

      The ST Coilovers are basically the same as the KW V1 Coilovers except, they are constructed of high grade steel (not stainless steel) that is heavily galvanized for rust prevention, and they have a 5 year warranty (instead of a limited lifetime warranty), however, the ST’s cost much less, yet offer the same features and suspension performance. Originally, I wanted to purchase the KW V1’s so I was extremely pleased to stumble upon the ST’s for the A3.

      The installation of the ST Coilovers wasn’t too complicated. I did a little research online and found an article by one of the more popular Euro magazines that did a project A3 where they did a step-by-step Coilover installation. I’m happy I found the article. It proved to be of significant help for my novice mechanical knowledge and skills. In addition, had I not read the article I wouldn’t have had a 27mm socket or a 14mm 12-point triple square bolt when I needed it!

      Anyway, the rear OEM shock absorbers and springs were easily removed and the ST parts were installed in like fashion with the help of some power tools. The fronts, well, they took a little more work. We ended up removing the entire front strut assemblies and placed them on a bench for their disassembly and reassembly with the new ST Coilover components. Overall, it took about 4 hours of work to get the job done and I had a great time doing it!

      I’m very happy with the appearance and ride of my A3 with the new ST Coilovers installed. The overall appearance and ride height is completely adjustable and I’m still fiddling with it. Even though the ride height measurements are the same front to rear, I may take the front down another half inch for just the right ‘look’.

      The ride quality is better than I expected it to be. I would describe the ride quality as firm but, with a ‘sporty’ OEM quality. I can feel that the springs and dampers are well matched together and to the vehicle design and weight. I wouldn’t claim or characterize the ST Coilovers as a luxury setup but, seriously, this setup could be used for OEM. The ride is firm, yet compliant and it only feels firm when it needs to be.

      As expected, my A3 equipped with the ST Coilovers, has better steering response on initial turn-in, it corners flatter throughout every turn, at any speed, and I have a better sense of speed and a greater confidence while driving at high speeds. I’m impressed. The ST Coilovers are definitely worth the purchase price. I think they are a true bargain. I recommend them!







      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    26. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 24th, 2011
      Posts
      48
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3 DSG
      06-02-2012 07:12 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Turn8 View Post
      High on my priority list, of ‘things-to-do’ to my A3, was to lower the suspension.
      I had to lower my A3.
      These cars just look better lowered.

      I purchased a set of ST Speedtech Coilovers to accomplish this task.

      So, if my goal was simply to lower the suspension my Audi for appearance and I didn’t really care about the suspension performance, why didn’t I simply purchase a set of lowering springs?

      In my experience it is hard to find aftermarket lowering springs that work well with the OEM dampers. Usually an example of this combination results in a choppy and uncomfortable ride because the spring rates and the damper rates don’t match. Conversely, my experience with aftermarket Coilover suspension setups has been much better, which is why I decided to go in that direction.
      Do it once, do it right…or, something like that?

      I could have purchased a set of aftermarket springs AND a set of aftermarket shocks to compliment the improved spring rates (however, there is still a possibility that the spring/damper rates won’t match, resulting in a horrible ride, and I’d have to swap everything back out and do it all again…Not fun!) but, ironically, when you add up the total investment of a spring/shock combination, the price for a set of Coilovers was surprisingly competitive. Plus, with Coilovers, not only do they offer matched damper and spring rates, they also sport the ability to manually adjust the ride height to suit my own personal tastes. Bonus!

      There are obviously a ton of aftermarket Coilover suspension choices available for the Audi A3. However, to narrow the field, my decision was based on price (I wanted to spend under $1K) and manufacture reputation.

      The ST Speedtech Coilovers fit my needs, and wallet, perfectly. The ST Coilovers are made by KW and ST is owned by KW automotive. KW’s reputation as a Coilover suspension manufacture is solid.

      The ST Coilovers are basically the same as the KW V1 Coilovers except, they are constructed of high grade steel (not stainless steel) that is heavily galvanized for rust prevention, and they have a 5 year warranty (instead of a limited lifetime warranty), however, the ST’s cost much less, yet offer the same features and suspension performance. Originally, I wanted to purchase the KW V1’s so I was extremely pleased to stumble upon the ST’s for the A3.

      The installation of the ST Coilovers wasn’t too complicated. I did a little research online and found an article by one of the more popular Euro magazines that did a project A3 where they did a step-by-step Coilover installation. I’m happy I found the article. It proved to be of significant help for my novice mechanical knowledge and skills. In addition, had I not read the article I wouldn’t have had a 27mm socket or a 14mm 12-point triple square bolt when I needed it!

      Anyway, the rear OEM shock absorbers and springs were easily removed and the ST parts were installed in like fashion with the help of some power tools. The fronts, well, they took a little more work. We ended up removing the entire front strut assemblies and placed them on a bench for their disassembly and reassembly with the new ST Coilover components. Overall, it took about 4 hours of work to get the job done and I had a great time doing it!

      I’m very happy with the appearance and ride of my A3 with the new ST Coilovers installed. The overall appearance and ride height is completely adjustable and I’m still fiddling with it. Even though the ride height measurements are the same front to rear, I may take the front down another half inch for just the right ‘look’.

      The ride quality is better than I expected it to be. I would describe the ride quality as firm but, with a ‘sporty’ OEM quality. I can feel that the springs and dampers are well matched together and to the vehicle design and weight. I wouldn’t claim or characterize the ST Coilovers as a luxury setup but, seriously, this setup could be used for OEM. The ride is firm, yet compliant and it only feels firm when it needs to be.

      As expected, my A3 equipped with the ST Coilovers, has better steering response on initial turn-in, it corners flatter throughout every turn, at any speed, and I have a better sense of speed and a greater confidence while driving at high speeds. I’m impressed. The ST Coilovers are definitely worth the purchase price. I think they are a true bargain. I recommend them!

      Mike
      Out of curiousity, are you at the highest setting for those coilovers?

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      06-03-2012 06:22 PM #27
      ^^^^
      No, I'm in the middle. The perches can be lowered another 1 1/2 inches on the front and rear.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    28. Banner Advertiser tcardio@DublinVW's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2009
      Location
      Kickin it with MKIM
      Posts
      2,659
      06-03-2012 08:04 PM #28
      looks nice but tsk tsk tsk reverse rake
      I hate cupholders

    29. Member GunKata's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2006
      Location
      Lombard, IL
      Posts
      1,491
      Vehicles
      '11 A3 2.0T Quattro K04
      06-03-2012 09:45 PM #29
      Mike, lookin' good man I've been in a GTI with ST's and was quite impressed. I am currently looking down the line at Bilsteins after my K04, S3 IC, and Stoptechs go on.
      SOLD: '11 UG GTI 4DR 6MT Autobahn: APR Stage 2+, AWE DP, S3 IC and SS, Carbonio Stg 1+2, R Tinted LED Tails, R Grille, 18x8.5 VMR V708s, 17" TR Motorsports, Stoptech ST40 328mm BBK, Eibach 26mm FSB, H&R 24mm RSB, DG Springs/// Past notable rides: '08 STI, '08 335xi, '05 C6 Z51, '04 STi, '01 911 C4, '06 Evo IX MR, '06 DSG GTI, '03 WRX, '95 MKIV Supra TT, '06 CBR600RR

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      06-04-2012 10:44 AM #30
      ^^^^^
      The Bilstein Coilovers are very nice! I've driven a couple cars with PSS9's.
      I'm looking forward to your KO4 mods.

      Quote Originally Posted by tcardio View Post
      looks nice but tsk tsk tsk reverse rake
      I'm working on that. I'm planning on lowering the front another 1/2 inch. That...should even it out.

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    31. Member Maitre Absolut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      1,317
      Vehicles
      2014 S4, 2013 Q5
      06-04-2012 11:07 AM #31
      looks good so far

      should get some spacers 8-10mm to fill in the gap.

      14 S4
      13 Q5 S-Line

    32. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      06-04-2012 06:35 PM #32
      ^^^^
      Thanks

      Or, perhaps some wider rims and tires...

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    33. Member Maitre Absolut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2009
      Location
      Montreal
      Posts
      1,317
      Vehicles
      2014 S4, 2013 Q5
      06-04-2012 08:39 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Turn8 View Post
      ^^^^
      Thanks

      Or, perhaps some wider rims and tires...

      Mike
      Spend your money elsewhere. Hard to beat an oem+ wheel.
      14 S4
      13 Q5 S-Line

    34. 06-04-2012 08:51 PM #34
      How much would you guess you could raise the rear? My ST rear height is the same and I'm as high as I can go without perch spacers.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2008
      Location
      Thousand Oaks, CA
      Posts
      743
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      06-05-2012 01:10 PM #35
      ^^^^
      Right now, the rear perches are located in the center of the threads so I believe I can raise the rear by a least a full inch.

      Quote Originally Posted by Maitre Absolut View Post
      Spend your money elsewhere. Hard to beat an oem+ wheel.
      Good point!

      Mike
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •