Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64 beetle straight out of long term dry storage

1. 05-26-2012 01:01 PM #1
      I sold off the mk3 this week and stumbled into another toy. Found this 64 beetle that has been in a garage for the last 12 years. I am the 4th owner. I have paperwork for this bug all the way back to the dealer service book in 64. Started in Alabama, moved to Tennessee, found its way to Cincinnati in 2000, and now to me. The car has moved 1500 miles since 2000 and in that time has documentation for an engine rebuild, brake work, etc. After diggin in paperwork, it has been determined that there are 169xxx miles on the car. Aside from a respray, its all original. The AM radio still works.

While it is weathered on top, this thing is ROCK SOLID. The underside is rust free. It even has the original running boards. All numbers match the original numbers on the 64 service manual!

Im sure you guys can guess where I will be going with this one! Let the fun begin!

Vehicles
      91 GTI 16V Current Project. 91 GTI 8V. 91 GTI 16V (totaled). 91 Jetta GL. 1967 & 1955 Cal-Look/48IDA
      05-26-2012 06:38 PM #2
      WOW, very nice. Hope you will not be going baja thats for sure.
      91 GTI 16V Project - All Motor - My Build Thread - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ssembly-Thread

3. Member
      05-26-2012 06:52 PM #3
      I'm no purist, but a car that solid and original should stay that way....I know, I know!

Vehicles
      57 Bug 07 GTI
      05-26-2012 08:33 PM #4
      Low & Slow___(o\ ! /o)___

5. 05-26-2012 09:28 PM #5
      if you are going the baja route, what do you want for the fenders and bumpers?

6. 05-26-2012 09:45 PM #6
      i always love it when the new people show up to the party

a baja is the last thing this is going to turn into.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '68 sedan, '07 magnum
      05-27-2012 04:26 PM #7
      Oh man, cool car. Heck, I wouldn't "restore" it, they're only original once... get it running it top shape and let folks appreciate a vanishing artifact, an unmolested VW.

Just my 2 cents worth...

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '65 Beetle
      05-27-2012 08:31 PM #8
      Great find! Good luck with it.
      coolwater

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Jenks
      lol an owner of a MK3 and then MKV has no right to speak in public.
      you drive an egg on wheels. eggman.

Vehicles
      73 Thing, 62 Chrysler Newport, 99 Golf
      05-27-2012 10:28 PM #9
      Nice score! Now drop it and buff it, Ruby Red looks killer when buffed out.

10. 05-29-2012 10:54 AM #10
      LOL.

I cut the front and rear aprons off this weekend. Tossed the fenders, hood, and decklid into the scrapper. My 7 piece baja kit is being painted today.

Vehicles
      14 C7 A6 ,1965 TYPE 1, 1956 TYPE 1, 1948 SPLIT
      05-29-2012 12:05 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by wannabaja View Post
      LOL.

I cut the front and rear aprons off this weekend. Tossed the fenders, hood, and decklid into the scrapper. My 7 piece baja kit is being painted today.
      ATTA BOY!!!
      Smile it will get Worse!!

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      05-29-2012 05:36 PM #12
      LOL.

JK..
      J
      Quote Originally Posted by WideFive
      If you have to ask if it's a good trade... then it isn't a good trade.
      Quote Originally Posted by Schell R32
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.
      http://www.facebook.com/VWLoosenuts?sk=wall www.cultwagen.com.

Vehicles
      05 GLI
      05-30-2012 02:51 AM #13
      Mirror glaze and wax, and a drop would make that car perfect. Nice Score. Hopefully its solid and doesnt give you any issues.
      __________________________________________________ __Follow Me @ Kuncle_________________________________________
      __________________________________________________ ______The Chive__________________________________________________ __

14. Semi-n00b
      06-04-2012 09:26 PM #14
      beautiful car! lets see some interior shots
      it's only OG once.. Just like virginity.. once it's gone.. it's gone!

'65 beetle "Jolene"
      '66 Kombi "the backwoodz special"
      Dripn Driver

15. 06-05-2012 12:41 AM #15
      I have installed a new master, soft brake lines, and new main line going from front to back. I have my tires on a truck for delivery tomorrow and my wheels in the back of the car to get them all mounted tomorrow. Ordered a TON of stuff from 4 different places today. I should have a stack of boxes in the next week and will get this thing turned around in no time!

I also got my baja kit back from paint. They kinda made a bad match on the color so I am just going to spray bomb the whole thing baby blue.

16. 06-06-2012 07:13 AM #16
      WHAT A GREAT SHOT, MY FIRST CAR WAS A 64 IN BERMUDA BLUE. A wonderful car I shouldn't have sold. It was new and a graduation present from dad from college 1,700 dollars.

Have fun with it!!!. I drove mine across the country in 1965. Great memories JP

17. 06-06-2012 10:17 AM #17
      It has been a great 24 hours! The day started at the DMV where I got the car titled and registered with my 64 plate. Tires showed up yesterday and I immediately took em down for mounting. Came home and bled the brakes after the line and master overhaul. Finished replacing my soft fuel lines on Monday night so I filled her up with gas. As dusk started showing its head, I took it for a spin around the neighborhood. spent about 10 minutes driving it and it ran great and felt good. It was a great feeling to have it back on the road again. With only 1500 miles put on it since it was titled in 2000, its hard to say how long it has been since it was on the road. None the less, I think it enjoyed getting back out again!

One thing that it was long overdue for was a good wash. This thing was filthy. I probably should have cleaned the windshield before going out at dusk with 6 volt headlights! I woke up early and decided to wash off many many years of dust and grime.

Its time to start suspension work!

At home with its rebelious younger fat brother:
      Last edited by wannabaja; 07-27-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-06-2012 10:42 AM #18
      Ok i can continue to watch this tread since you got your head on straight.

i was so gonna kick you in your fun bag if you cut this fuker into a baja
      J
      ACW's aren't a watercooled APPLIANCE,it's a classic air cooled pile that takes money,patience and attitude to own it.

19. 06-06-2012 10:52 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by LooseNuts View Post
      Ok i can continue to watch this tread since you got your head on straight.

LOL. I have a baja already. Its a purpose built woods toy and its a fat chick 74. It dosent have any of that fiberglass crap on it either aside from some rear fiberglass fenders that have been trimmed of excess material.

Its funny though that all these screen names I had never seen before started commenting on the bug and assumed that since I had a screen name of wannabaja (which is actually a question asking if you want to go drive in the woods rather than wanting a baja car), that I was automatically going to hack this thing up. I had to pick it up and run with it!

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-06-2012 01:58 PM #20
      LOL i figured as much but you did have me going for a minute.
      I was thinking to myself you have got to be fukin kidding me he is gonna cut this perfect car up

J

21. Member
      06-06-2012 02:06 PM #21
      HTML Code:

22. 06-06-2012 04:05 PM #22
      i am going to kick you in the fun bag if you don't change that oil before you take her driving again. driving around on 12 year old oil is more than enough cause for taint punching.

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 04:19 PM #23
      driving around on 12 year old oil is more than enough cause for taint munching.
      steak that is just sick bro sick.
      Last edited by JDII; 06-06-2012 at 04:43 PM.

24. 06-06-2012 04:24 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by JDII View Post
      steak that is just sick bro sick.
      it's nice to see where your head's at

Vehicles
      06-06-2012 04:28 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by A1steaksauce View Post
      it's nice to see where your head's at
      and even better knowing where it's not!! how bout some progress on that bay bro?

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-06-2012 04:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by JDII View Post
      and even better knowing where it's not!! how bout some progress on that bay bro?
      his taint is all laid up, no progress for him. hes just sitting around munching all day

J

27. 06-08-2012 09:02 AM #27
      Yea, Im kinda anal about the little stuff!

Best $13 spent to date arrived last night and I could not hold out. I ran right out to make the best improvement ever to the bug. How previous owners held out for 48 years without this is beyond me!

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-08-2012 10:04 AM #28
      interior looks good.

i need to get me one of them pulley thingies
      J

29. 06-08-2012 10:13 AM #29
      interior looks good.

i need to get me one of them pulley thingies
      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=527839
      Best $13 spent! Quality is great. Paid for it Monday, arrived Thursday.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 New Beetle Convertible, 1990 Jetta GLI, 1968 Beetle, 2009 VW Jetta GLX, 2008 Airbus A330-200,
      06-08-2012 01:14 PM #30
      That's a great Beetle...

I have a '68 that I bought from the original owner (actually his son)...

He purchased it new in 1968 from a dealership in Hamilton, Ontario and it was to be a summer car for his cottage....anyway...it was driven primarily in the summer from 1968-1974 when he died. The car was then placed in storage from 1974-2002 when I purchased it.

The car has 51,000 original miles and came with the original sales brochure, owner's manual with maintenance history and tool kit.

Sadly, the original engine had long since seized and the oil hand turned into a thick green gunge....but, the engine was beyond salvation.

I'm now trying to find a replacement engine for my Beetle....it's turning out to be a much more difficult task than originally planned....air cooled VW engines are not quite as plentiful as they once were....
      ---
      My Other Car is an Airbus A321-200 (Powered by CFM56 Engines)

Technology that performs. Values that endure. A car that invigorates, never isolates. That's the Volkswagen approach to German Engineering.

31. 06-29-2012 09:27 AM #31
      I am pleased to report I have been driving the car almost every day since I got it running a few weeks ago. It has performed flawlessly and feels solid as a rock. After complelely disassembling 2 mk3s in less than 30 hours in the last 2 weeks and pushing them out to the crusher, I was finally able to refocus on tiding up the bug. Last night it received a deep cleaning sponge bath of CLR. It is amazing what CLR can do for a car like this. It not only cut the rust runs and stains off but it also cut a ton of oxidation off the paint and brought back a worn satin sheen. It is exactly what the car needed! I felt so good about it I dove into the electrical system and got all lighting functional again. The only thing left to "fix" is the horn.

I farmed out some suspension fab work to Saucy due to too many irons in my fire right now. He is wrapping that stuff up and we are working out a plan to hopefully have this thing sitting right in the next week and a half or so.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-29-2012 10:45 AM #32
      CLR hmmmm. gonna get some this weekend then. i need something to cut the oxidation. how much of the rust will it take off. i don't want to loose my "patina".

Saucy??? that guy don't know chit. he is totally gonna over engineer chit just wait and see
      J

33. 06-29-2012 10:55 AM #33
      CLR hmmmm. gonna get some this weekend then. i need something to cut the oxidation. how much of the rust will it take off. i don't want to loose my "patina".
      I had a big bottle of it and used a microfiber cloth. It cuts oxidation and any rust blead that might have run from the rusty spots onto the paint. It also cleans up crume with rust stains as well. It obviously dosent remove any of the rust patches. It only cleans the blead on the paint around it.

It also seemed to cut some of the oxidation for lack of a better word. It cut all kinds of stuff off the paint in general as well as what seemed to be rubber stains from where the rubber deteriorated and left streaks.

I still have a patina car. It wont take that off. But it cleaned up the paint that was left. If you were going to buff a patina car, CLR would be the perfect solution to cleaning and starting with a clean surface to polish.

It burns like hell if you have any open wounds and you get it in. Even little knicks on your hands. I did it bare handed on a test and it didnt feel good. I did it with gloves for the bath and it was much better.

Vehicles
      55 oval. 2014 CC
      06-29-2012 06:06 PM #34
      noted thanks mang
      J

35. Member
      06-30-2012 02:17 AM #35

I had a big bottle of it and used a microfiber cloth. It cuts oxidation and any rust blead that might have run from the rusty spots onto the paint. It also cleans up crume with rust stains as well. It obviously dosent remove any of the rust patches. It only cleans the blead on the paint around it.

It also seemed to cut some of the oxidation for lack of a better word. It cut all kinds of stuff off the paint in general as well as what seemed to be rubber stains from where the rubber deteriorated and left streaks.

I still have a patina car. It wont take that off. But it cleaned up the paint that was left. If you were going to buff a patina car, CLR would be the perfect solution to cleaning and starting with a clean surface to polish.

It burns like hell if you have any open wounds and you get it in. Even little knicks on your hands. I did it bare handed on a test and it didnt feel good. I did it with gloves for the bath and it was much better.
      noted thanks mang
      Dayo bros ,
      Here's what it's intended to do:
      http://clrcleaner.org/
      Here's the MSDS :
      http://www.emedco.info/rtk/common/wcd00025/wcd025c3.htm

You may also want to check out http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/ - http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/product-information
      for spot werk .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast