I have the same decklid as yours, on my '64. I was told I had the incorrect decklid, that its off a '62.
Now that I see another '64 with the same lid, I wonder if I/we have the correct one.
Most the '64s I have seen have this decklid
1964 VW Beetle
2003 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T
2005 Honda XR650L
2006 Honda CBR 600RR
Over the weekend I recruited my neighbor to help with the window gaskets. Got the rear 3 windows done but unfortunately I cracked the windshield.
Tonight I was able to get the front stripped down. Im ready to start building it back up narrower and lower.
Hey A1, I got a box coming to you tomorrow!
Last edited by wannabaja; 07-10-2012 at 03:34 PM.
another matching 63
And a 64. Larger yellow front turns and the big liscense plate light.
Here is a 62 with the same.
I think something is wrong with the grey one you posted loose.
up to 10/63 which would be register as a 64 had the small front signals and small rear light on deck lid. after October the went to bigger front signals and bigger "traditional" rear license plate light your familiar with
both 64 fenders just depends on the months
After a short 4 hours of sleep, Im excited to say that I am a windshield install away from having a driver again! A big thanks goes to A1 for his help last night. I twisted his arm and he hung in like a champ. We got the rear plates on, spring plates adjusted, and tie rods in and adjusted. Even had time to do a test run out the drive to make sure it wouldnt high side. It cleared by mm's. Got up this morning and took it for a test run around the neighborhood.
Oh yea, this is only 1/2 click thanks to some sweet plates A1 fabbed up.
Last edited by wannabaja; 07-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
This weekend went to hell and a handbasket for the beetle. I spent all last week deep cleaning the interior, wiping seal glide, seal glide, and more seal glide of my windows, installing new shocks in the rear, and packing the beetle for a camp out night at Dub Dash in Dayton, Ohio.
Things were going great untill I was about 15 minutes down the highway. while going up a small hill with the pedal to the floor, I suddenly lost all power and barely made it over 2 lanes to the berm. Limped it off the highway and hear the sound of catastrophic failure. tap tap tap tap tap. Game over.
A few hours, a truck, and a trailer later, I was back in the garage with a very unhappy face.
Tore the motor out last night. I thought the valve had dropped but after inspection, this is not the case. Motor turns but hits a spot and stops. My guess is I broke a rod. Still a very unhappy face. The car I bought to drive while finishing my project has now become a project as well!
Picked up a turn key replacement motor last night that starts and runs. Its kinda cobbled together with a 12v conversion and a bunch of other stuff that has no business being in the engine compartment of this car. But none the less it start and runs. Im going to pick up some rebuild parts and refresh the top end and re gasket everything (after some gentle persuasion from someone around here), use the long block from this motor, and swap all my tins, electrical, fuel parts ETC.
For the last 13 years, Nov 10th has been the last day of the season for me to drive my aircooleds. That is my birthday and I always try to get one last cruise in on that day before parting it for the winter. I am going to see if I can do the same this year with the bug! This will get this project back to driver status and allow me to focus only on the bus for the winter so that I have 2 drivers in the spring.
I have been told that if it snows the day after I get my first drive in on this new motor, that A1 can laugh at me guilt free. If this is the case, I give all of you permission to laugh guilt free! I will have met my goal and the car will be back on the road at that point!
Here goes nothin! No wammies, NO WAMMIES!!!!
Worked on this over the weekend. THings didnt quite go as planned. The motor I bought ended up not being the stock 40 horse I was expecting. After a few long calls w A1, I now have a 1641 dual pressure relieve case with new rings and seals assembled in the garage. I had to sacrafice quite a bit of sleep to get there this weekend but none the less, its done! Now I have to sort out my tin, intake and exhaust as the ones I was planning to use do not fit. The ones that came with the motor have a very attractive red overspray pattern as it looks like the PO spray painted a red bird house in front of the motor before selling it to me!
1641 single port dog house motor, here I come!
I didnt make it to my Nov 10th deadline but I did drive it to work today! Lots of after 8PM Hours were put into this since it broke down. For those with families, you know how hard projects like this can be to find time for. My wife and little ones definately take priority so if its going to get done, its going to happen after the whole family is asleep. Finally finished it at 3Am saturday morning. Felt great to be driving it again! 12v are running through its veins for the first time as well.
Last edited by wannabaja; 12-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.