Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Parents with circumcised boys...

1. 05-26-2012 07:38 PM #1
      We had our son circumcised not too long ago by a urologist. After the surgery, the doctor gave us a list of care tips (no pun intended).

One of the things listed was
      "With every diaper change, be sure to apply A&D ointment (triple antibiotic) to the circumcision. This should be done every time the diaper is changed until the child is out of diapers."

So I asked the nurse if this really meant that I had to apply the cream until he was potty trained. She said "yes, the goal here is to manipulate the skin so the area doesn't grow back to itself. Once the child is potty trained, you can stop since the child will be moving the penis when he aims to urinate."

Really? Apply cream for ~3 years? Has anyone else heard of this? We spoke to our pediatrician who said he'd never heard of that before. I think maybe the Urologist must have stock in A&D cream.

2. 05-27-2012 08:06 AM #2
      Never heard of it. My son also pretty much requires a masseuse grade handy with the wipes after a #2, so I think the skin is getting manipulated plenty. We did gauze and cream until it was completely healed and natural looking skin.

Vehicles
      List your car(s) owned here
      05-30-2012 11:49 PM #3
      I have never heard of 3 years, I thought it was 1 week, maybe 2.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

You could not pay me enough to own another Ford or another hybrid ever again. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/203834.png

4. Banned dubinsincuwereindiapers's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Bugatti Veyron
      05-30-2012 11:58 PM #4
      Iirc we were told to apply the ointment to my son's circumcision for a month or two; definitely no longer than that.

Of course keep his "wee wee" very clean, but applying ointment after the penis is fully healed is insane man. If your wife is of the ocd type; certainly don't ALLOW her to do that. Their little bodies are very sensitive, and foreign chemicals, compounds, etc. are no good; unless necessary to prevent a real ailment.

Their livers, and kidneys aren't developed enough to process all that crap.

I wish you all the best with your little one. They are truly the best gift you could have

Vehicles
      MKV GTI / RIP MKIV Jetta / Burn in HADES GLS Beetle 1.8T!
      05-31-2012 01:51 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot762 View Post
      We had our son circumcised not too long ago by a urologist. After the surgery, the doctor gave us a list of care tips (no pun intended).

One of the things listed was
      "With every diaper change, be sure to apply A&D ointment (triple antibiotic) to the circumcision. This should be done every time the diaper is changed until the child is out of diapers."

So I asked the nurse if this really meant that I had to apply the cream until he was potty trained. She said "yes, the goal here is to manipulate the skin so the area doesn't grow back to itself. Once the child is potty trained, you can stop since the child will be moving the penis when he aims to urinate."

Really? Apply cream for ~3 years? Has anyone else heard of this? We spoke to our pediatrician who said he'd never heard of that before. I think maybe the Urologist must have stock in A&D cream.
      Ummm... no. A week or two and then you're done.

You really only run the risk of the skin growing back if your son has an "inny". My 2nd son was micro hydrocele (he had huge balls when he was born due to fluid in his scrotum) and for a little bit he was an inny... his circumcision started to heal incorrectly, but the doc just pulled the skin back and he was good to go again. (No, it didn't hurt when the doc pulled the skin back... he didn't whince or cry.)

I think your urologist is a little coo coo
      Last edited by 20DYNAMITE07; 05-31-2012 at 01:56 AM.
      "We'll not risk another frontal assault... that rabbit's DYNAMITE!"

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit S(low), 2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
      05-31-2012 02:09 PM #6
      That's crazy talk.

Couple weeks at max. Just need to make sure everything heals properly. No reason to be applying antibiotics to a healed area.

Our little guy is just fine.
      Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Vehicles
      Mk6 JSW TDI and Mk4 Jetta VR6
      06-10-2012 10:12 PM #7
      We just had our son circumcised last month. We were told to use neosporin and keep it wrapped. It took about two weeks to fully heal.
      Brewtus
      Forever you will be missed.
      Nov 26, 2004 - Feb 20, 2009

8. 06-13-2012 09:42 PM #8
      That's what I was thinking. That doctor is nuts (no pun)

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      06-26-2012 09:08 PM #9
      our dr left a little extra skin it seems. the wife was handling much of the night routine at the beginning but turned out she wasn't "pulling back" on the skin even after everything healed up. turns out that skin reattached; everything turned out fine but it is something to look out for.
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...