Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bought a TDI today, clutch question

1. 05-26-2012 07:10 PM #1
      Hey all, first time posting here. Figured it was appropriate because I bought myself a new 2012 Golf TDI this afternoon!

Anyways, I'm just starting out with a job and a new car, so to save some money I opted for a manual transmission. I need a little practice still, but I can do it if I take my time. My question is does anyone have any experience with VW clutches in terms or burning them up or their average life cycle? I want to make sure that while I refresh myself on the art of manual transmission I am not damaging my clutch too much.

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI
      05-26-2012 09:35 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by TDIPhil View Post
      Hey all, first time posting here. Figured it was appropriate because I bought myself a new 2012 Golf TDI this afternoon!

Anyways, I'm just starting out with a job and a new car, so to save some money I opted for a manual transmission. I need a little practice still, but I can do it if I take my time. My question is does anyone have any experience with VW clutches in terms or burning them up or their average life cycle? I want to make sure that while I refresh myself on the art of manual transmission I am not damaging my clutch too much.
      welcome. congratulations on your correct choice of transmission.

don't worry about your clutch lifetime. not an issue really either way with VWs. just match revs when you downshift, and don't start in 3rd gear or somesuch

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 GTI 1.8T
      05-26-2012 10:47 PM #3
      I found that with the TDI and it's massive torque, I rarely, if ever have to down shift, or rev match. It's new to me coming from my 2L Mk4 and a 2.5L rabbit. My GTI i only did for fun

for example, in 3rd gear with a slower curve/turn, i usually don't down shift or rev match unless I need lots of power for passing or matching traffic speed.

rev match should be rare...
      Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

Vehicles
      2010 Golf TDI 4DR MT6 SB 1989 AW11 MR2 4AGE 150whp 2250lbs
      05-27-2012 05:38 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by oldschool86045 View Post
      I found that with the TDI and it's massive torque, I rarely, if ever have to down shift, or rev match. It's new to me coming from my 2L Mk4 and a 2.5L rabbit. My GTI i only did for fun

for example, in 3rd gear with a slower curve/turn, i usually don't down shift or rev match unless I need lots of power for passing or matching traffic speed.

rev match should be rare...
      One great thing about that torquey TDI behavior, is it's easier on clutch wear from downshifting. Downshifting can happen at low revs, where there is little difference in rpm between gears. So a tiny blip of the throttle is the most it takes to rev match, and less than perfect matching matters little, and is taken up by the clutch springs easily (pop your clutch on downshifts, dont feather it). And yes, again, the engine is torquey enough that i rarely need to downshift unless im near idle speed, in gears 4(rarely),5,or 6, or if i need to "go fast now." I will say, if i could choose a car to learn stick on, it would not be a mk6 TDI, but youll be ok.
      Last edited by RogueTDI; 05-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf TDI Man w/ Tech BUY IT
      05-28-2012 12:57 AM #5
      You'll learn there's a sweet spot for shifting.
      Somewhere around 3k for me.

Also, if slowing down and you wanna downshift.. I find a quick blip of the throttle is all you need to do it smoothly.
      BUY MY 2012 GOLF TDI

2012 4dr Golf TDI Manual w/ Technology Package
      #CarlyTheCar on Instagram - CLICK HERE
      @DrDownBrown on Instagram - CLICK HERE