Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Looking to lease a 2013 VW CC, please convince me otherwise

1. 05-26-2012 09:36 PM #1
      1. Background Info
      2. Skip to here for Main info

I hate these threads too, but as of lately, I need some guidance.

I currently own a MKV GTI. Lowered, aftermarket wheels, little stuff here and there. It's fun to drive, the 6spd manual transmission is sufficient for my skill level, and over all, it's a car I enjoy to drive. We all know what a MKV GTI looks like, but anyways, here she is:

Lately, I been growing old of always looking for potholes, driving around them, etc. Everyone keep telling me to throw the stock shocks/springs on the car, but I hate hate hate the way these cars look at stock height. (Love the way they look lowered though). So I been thinking about picking up something else.

Which brings me to the 2013 VW CC. From reading on the threads on here, most of you guys hate it as well as it's newly increased price. Personally, I think it looks great. Bi-xenons, LED Tails, heated seats, touch screen, DSG, (hate the headlight LEDs though), etc. Seems like a great package.

Now please keep in mind I would be leasing. I'm thinking I can pull in the payments on a sport at about 360-380 with about 2000 down (including tax, license & fees). I rather put less down and pay more a month just in case, god forbid, the car gets totaled or stolen. Do you guys think I should be looking at other (better) cars in this price range? Anything you could recommend? AWD would be cool but FWD is fine.

So what do you guys think? I've owned an 07 Passat in the past and loved it. I know this car is very similar except it has the TSI and DSG. I would love to stay with a manual but my parents (in their 60s) will be driving it from time to time and they simply don't know how to drive stick.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW Tiguan, 2007 VW GTI, 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT
      05-26-2012 09:42 PM #2
      i have the same car as you, also lowered with stiffer shocks/springs and with 18" aftermarket wheels. driving around town got to be a huge pita, especially after the spring thaw and the road conditions were particularly bad. i hit a really big pothole on the freeway and severely bent my front two wheels. i ended up getting a set of 16" vw biolines as a temporary replacement. what a difference those made! the ride is soooo much better and i don't have to worry about potholes much anymore. sure they don't look as nice, but at least they're not steelies.

so basically, i'm telling you to get new 16" or 17" wheels. it will improve your ride quality a LOT.

3. 05-26-2012 10:12 PM #3
      Don't mean to derail the thread, but so school me here. Two grand down and three sixty a month and at the end you give the car back and pay for any damage that may have ocurred. Is it cost effective to do it? Maybe a tax break or a job related partial payment is offered?
      Only answer if you wish, I was just curious. OK if you don't.
      Back to your car choice, I have a '07 Jetta and I drove a base Passat for a day two weeks ago(dealer loaner). Liked my Jetta better, but to be honest it wasn't a fair comparison. Jetta optioned out versus a base Passat. But the CC, to me, looks so much sharper than the Passat. The exterior looks classy and the seats are so sculptured and the whole interior has a much nicer look to it. Wish I could have drove it. I want something alittle more sporty for my next car, but man, from just a visual inspection, I like the CC. Only nit pick is rear head room, you can see how that sloping roofline takes away rear head room. Not a deal breaker, don't carry NBA players around, but it's there. Coming from a Golf you are gonna be real happy with that car if you value a comfortable (since you established that part) classy looking (to my eyes) car.

4. 05-26-2012 10:14 PM #4
      i'd definitely lease

can't say too much about the performance of it though, but i think there was the CC r-line or something

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2-DR
      05-26-2012 11:22 PM #5
      The 2013 CC is great, wasn't so sure about it until I saw it in person. I have a new GTI, the CC is more my parent's car but I drive it very often and it's a great car, more refined than a GTI but you feel it's a larger car. The CC Sport has 17" wheels which look great and are more comfortable around potholes which I also try to avoid on the GTI. If you haven't done a test drive do one so you can feel the difference. About the lease you can do better if your credit is tier 1, we have ours on a 36 month lease, PM me for info. Stay away from the Passat it's a great car but doesn't stand a chance with the CC.
      2015 M235i On Order | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      05-26-2012 11:27 PM #6
      I went from a GTI to a CC and went straight back.

Fantastic to look at, but not that much fun to drive. All it is is a stretched out Passat, loose steering sloopy chassis. Also I hated the seats!!! The trunk has a small opening, which really renders it useless for larger items.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

7. 05-27-2012 07:32 AM #7
      I loved the first CC, but the new one not nearly as much. But it really doesn't matter what we think.

8. 05-27-2012 08:21 AM #8
      The 2013 model is a good looking car. Did you have the chance to spend time in it?

Are the lease numbers you gave from the dealer? I thought VW was running some aggressive lease programs this month?

9. 05-27-2012 09:20 AM #9
      I really like the new CC, especially the new more agressive front end. You asked if there were anything else you should consider? I would compare the lease numbers on an Audi A4 (S-Line), and of course go drive one. It may be a more enjoyable car to drive coming off the GTI.
      '14 F-150 FX4
      '11 GTI (GF's Ride)

05-27-2012 10:18 AM #10
      I dislike the new CC look.

A Kia Optima turbo will give you all off the same features at lower cost.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-27-2012 10:26 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post

A Kia Optima turbo will give you all off the same features at lower cost.
      Eh as far as Kia has come even the reviewers concede that the driving dynamics are no where near VW, and that turbo motor is a slug. I would also question the long term quality of the Kia with such an enormous array of features at that price. Sorry, but the cost cutting comes from some where.

To the OP, in that price range you quoted (360-380/month) there are perhaps some other cars you should consider. Not to self promote my own ride, but you can lease a G37 in that price range.

Vehicles
      E46 coupe
      05-27-2012 10:46 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Eh as far as Kia has come even the reviewers concede that the driving dynamics are no where near VW,
      Show me who says this. The Kia isn't tremendously engaging, but neither is the CC. They're both sharp lookers, with the Kia being a better value. Can't comment on reliability but if you really think that the Kia will be severely less reliable than the Volkswagen you are being foolish, and there is a pretty big difference in warranties to make up for any worries you might have about the Kia.

FWIW my parents have a 2010 CC and I do like it very much. Just returned from a trip down to Maryland where I did all the driving, a nice highway cruiser if not a little soft to be considered sporty. The appearance never gets old.

Vehicles
      '14 Lexus GX460, '14 GLI Autobahn
      05-27-2012 11:09 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by GiacGtiAgain View Post
      Show me who says this. The Kia isn't tremendously engaging, but neither is the CC. They're both sharp lookers, with the Kia being a better value. .
      Just read any comparisons with the CC or Optima/Sonata, no one commends the Optima/Sonata for being a sport sedan. And the VAG 2.0T is far more refined and offers better or the same performance and MPG's than the GDI turbo which allegedly has 70hp more. The CC still has great driving dynamics for a FWD, can be had with a slick manual, and nicer seats and interior IMO. Ask anyone the seats in the Optima/Sonata are terrible.

Vehicles
      E46 coupe
      05-27-2012 11:19 AM #14
      Just read any comparisons with the CC or Optima/Sonata, no one commends the Optima/Sonata for being a sport sedan. And the VAG 2.0T is far more refined and offers better or the same performance and MPG's than the GDI turbo which allegedly has 70hp more. The CC still has great driving dynamics for a FWD, can be had with a slick manual, and nicer seats and interior IMO. Ask anyone the seats in the Optima/Sonata are terrible.
      You gave me an awful lot of homework to do to make your argument. I'll pass. The CC is a fine car regardless, but I really like the Optima as well.

Vehicles
      335d, Passat4Motion Wagon, A4 Avant
      05-27-2012 11:37 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFSIB6 View Post
      I'm thinking I can pull in the payments on a sport at about 360-380 with about 2000 down (including tax, license & fees). I rather put less down and pay more a month just in case, god forbid, the car gets totaled or stolen
      Don't put any money down when you lease.

16. 05-27-2012 11:48 AM #16
      To the OP, in that price range you quoted (360-380/month) there are perhaps some other cars you should consider. Not to self promote my own ride, but you can lease a G37 in that price range.

I agree, at 450$ or so (including his 2000$/36), I would try harder.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Vehicles
      2005 MCS "Hyper Blue", 2006 330ci "Silver Grey"
      05-27-2012 11:56 AM #17
      You guys are here to convince him otherwise.

Buy a '04-'06 LS430. Your old body will love it.

You won't get any better ride quality than that
      Last edited by Eightysixturbo; 05-27-2012 at 12:00 PM.
      pardon my 'merican

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      05-27-2012 12:05 PM #18
      At the very least, I'd test drive a '13 Fusion, Regal Turbo, and maybe a few others in the class first. There's a lot out there for ~30k these days that does comfy near-luxury astonishingly well.
      Last edited by Turbio!; 05-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!